PDA

View Full Version : Question about Vanguard

cagalli
11-03-2011, 06:10
Are Fast Cav units allowed a free reform during there Vanguard movement?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
11-03-2011, 06:21
Are Fast Cav units allowed a free reform during there Vanguard movement?

Fast Cavalry can free reform for any movement they make except when charging so I'd say yes they can free reform during a Vanguard movement.

T10
11-03-2011, 08:14
I don't think the Vanguard rules are entirely clear. My gut feeling is that, it's kind of a march move so anything you can do on a march move you can do on the Vanguard move.

On the other hand, the arbitrary 12" limit to the move and the no-first-turn-charge limits are both artificial restrictions (presumably) for the purpose of game balance. This "artificial" nature seems at odds with the "natural" application of the Fast Cavalry rule. Using the free reform might allow you to move individual models lot further than the 12" limit, and as such can be used abusively.

For example: You move your unit 12" forward, then reform into a line and trigger all the enemy's Fanatics before the game has even started. That's fun the first time.

-T10

Squigkikka
11-03-2011, 09:57
Based on T10's example and general wording of the rule (which isn't entirely clear) I'd say... no, no free reforming.

No right answer here, but to prevent some nasty abuse I'd go with no.

Kalandros
11-03-2011, 15:20
12" is the maximum including reforms anyway.

Scalebug
11-03-2011, 16:41
Well, no, twice your movement rate is the maximum when reforming, swapping your ordinary M *2 for catch-all 12" in a vanguard move does not remove that...

But, yeah, there is a clear intent here, that the 12" move is what you are supposed to get, really. Reforming to get further than this (still keeping within the ordinary 2*M max for a reform) seems to go against this.

Edit: looking at the book now, in any case; in addition to being a 12" move, Vanguard states you cannot get within 12" of the enemy anyway, so no triggered Fanatics on turn 0...