PDA

View Full Version : wizards and dwarfs

grandmasterfred
13-03-2011, 04:10
hi planning on starting a dwarf army and took a look at the allies rules can any one tell me if takeing say a level3-4 wizard is worth losing the extra dispel modifiers?

The bearded one
13-03-2011, 04:53
Yes. The lvl 3-4 wizard can take over dispelling duties and losing the +2 isn't really an earth shattering loss.

However the dwarf in me says: "Magic? pha! Ye silly umgi with yer wild magic! There be no magic better than them magic we lock in our runes! Ya can always trust yer runes! With them spellcasting of yers, yer gonna kill yaself!"

Lorcryst
13-03-2011, 11:45
It's definitively possible, but the allies rules are for two allied contingents, so you'll have to have a bit of army around your mage ...

And I agree with The bearded one, dwarf runes are good, really, don't really need magic when you have runes and runic artillery ...

The Underdog
13-03-2011, 11:52
Ay, listen to the bearded one lad for he is wise. We Dwarfs have haad no truck with that Magic nonsense since the ancestors tought us how to use runes. It's foul elven nonsense for beardless fools. You're best off with a pint o' Bugmans and a nice ancestral rune axe.

(PS: the above should be taken tongue in cheek in character and is not intended to be offensive.)

Korraz
13-03-2011, 13:44
It might be worth it. The question is: Is it worth to be a huge jerk with a very decreased gaming frequency and possible physical abuse?

Tokamak
13-03-2011, 16:27
Indeed. If you want to use magic you could also just not play dwarfs. This is just having your cake and eat it.

Lemonbrick
13-03-2011, 16:42
ah level 25 dwarf mages, those were the days, if you really want to have an allied human mage with his cronies go for it but I go with the other posters in that you can't rely on humans like you can on dwarfs.

+ game wise , dwarfs can pretty much shut down other peoples magic phases if they wish and the points are probably better spent on runic artillery if you want to smash your opponent
or as I simply prefer just get more dwarfs!

Snake1311
13-03-2011, 17:01
Its definitely worth it to ally with a mage from the good alignment, since then you can give them all the powerdice. Unfortunately, dwarf units themselves don't generally lend themselves too well to magic buffs, but T6 warriors is kinda funny

grandmasterfred
13-03-2011, 18:58
hmm so just dwarfs it is. any idea when the new dwarf book is coming out?

Charistoph
13-03-2011, 19:13
Sometime after May.

And by 'sometime', I mean within the next 10 years.

ooglatjama
13-03-2011, 19:19
Back in 7th I used to use a truthsayer with my army. He is surprisingly helpful in a dwarf army. If your opponent lets you use him his +4 to dispell and great lore would greatly outweigh the +2 to dispell.

dimetri1
13-03-2011, 19:34
http://drewflaherty.tumblr.com/photo/1280/2128697563/1/tumblr_ld1i0j4pEL1qb1aw7

Noooo.

The bearded one
13-03-2011, 20:46
Sometime after May.

And by 'sometime', I mean within the next 10 years.

one of the top dwarf generals ( in the world ) at Bugmansbrewery had some contact with the development team. Apparently they are at the start of the design process, meaning the book is probably between 12 and 24 months away.

( rumoured:
- ridiculous point cost drops like warriors for 6 and ironbreakers for 9, but I imagine you will need to buy the equipment so that the total pointcost will be similar to now
- gyrocopter squadz! )

Charistoph
13-03-2011, 23:14
one of the top dwarf generals ( in the world ) at Bugmansbrewery had some contact with the development team. Apparently they are at the start of the design process, meaning the book is probably between 12 and 24 months away.

( rumoured:
- ridiculous point cost drops like warriors for 6 and ironbreakers for 9, but I imagine you will need to buy the equipment so that the total pointcost will be similar to now
- gyrocopter squadz! )

And well within the time frame I established. All I was saying was that nothing concrete has been announced, and I haven't seen them on the Rumor Board, so...

Once Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Ogres, and Bretonnians are done, they would be the oldest army book. They aren't really hurting right now, so it would largely depend on how much they wanted to increase their Dwarf sales, and their projections, as to how much they NEED to do them from a business perspective.

The bearded one
14-03-2011, 02:28
I was simply narrowing the timeframe a bit. I could say 'somewhere within the next decade' but giving a more specific estimate doesn't hurt.

Nothing concrete has been announced or been on the rumor board because they are not far ahead in the design proces. They ( pour on the salt of course but the source sounded credible enough ) are only just starting to get their ideas together, which is the very start of designing a new book.

TK, WE, OK and brets are older, indeed.. but wasn't O&G younger than those as well? GW doesn't always go strictly with the order of age. TK is from 2002. Apart from a couple of 40K codices, like Necrons and witchunters IIRC it's the oldest book in the 2 gamesystems. I'm pretty sure a bunch of the recently updated armies weren't older than TK ;)

Dwarfs are doing absolutely fine at the moment though. I think most dwarf players can agree that we'd happily let those other armies get a new book. Frankly we're more afraid of the nerfhammer than waiting for any sort of boost.

Charistoph
14-03-2011, 07:20
Too true.

Another thing to take in mind is that since Skull Pass won't be selling any more, there is less reason to collect Dwarfs than there used to be for new players who haven't studied and figured out what they want. So Dwarf sales will drop off little by little over time. This would be a good time to start a Dwarf army book to revive them at just the right moment when they've hit the lowest point they would want to tolerate for a 'core' army.

russellmoo
14-03-2011, 23:26
Dwarfs don't need the help of wizards- they will shut down the magic of most races with the exception of the Archlector on his war alter- (he can cast all of his dice at one spell- and then ignores the miscast), Teclis- (no one can stop him from casting), and the power-scroll-

In short- you will greatly reduce or stop most magic in any environment where comp scores matter-