PDA

View Full Version : Horde of Squig herders? New Horde Deathstar?

Turtleking
13-03-2011, 18:28
Ok, at 1500 points I can run 40 Squigs in a 10x4 horde formation with 12-16 or so Night goblin handlers in back.

High str, decent weapon skill, decent movement, good charge. 2 attacks from front ranks, 1 from ranks 2-3. On paper this looks to me like it hits better then black orcs, and does not seem as cheesy or as high point cost as a horde of trolls.

Other then the high cost in minis, thoughts?

Kalandros
13-03-2011, 19:26
Even with the 7th ed book this was powerful - someone won a big tournament because he had like 3 hordes of squigs in his list. O:

Morkash
13-03-2011, 19:39
If you have sufficient Squigs, there is no reason for not doing it. I'd not call it Deathstar, as it consists of T3 creatures without saves, but it can be effective for sure. And if all fails, it goes boom. Things who explode occasionally are always fun.

Avian
13-03-2011, 19:53
It's essentially a Khorne great weapon Marauder horde that can blow up.

Turtleking
13-03-2011, 20:12
It's essentially a Khorne great weapon Marauder horde that can blow up.

That is the idea! :)

Turtleking
13-03-2011, 20:12
If you have sufficient Squigs, there is no reason for not doing it. I'd not call it Deathstar, as it consists of T3 creatures without saves, but it can be effective for sure. And if all fails, it goes boom. Things who explode occasionally are always fun.

I feel like a death star is pushing out massive amounts of damage. I'm ok with T3 if it hits like a truck.

I have not seena list with a horde of squigs before, I never knew anyone really ran anything like this...?

Kalandros
13-03-2011, 20:25
It was at the Alamo GT

"Black Orc warboss (4+WS and magic weapon)
Lvl 4 Orc Shaman (MR3)
BSB with Spirit Totem

50 NGs w/ Nets and full command, 1 fanatic
50 NGs w/ Nets and full command
6-7 Squig Herds
6-7 Squig Herds
8 Squig Herds
20 NGs w/ 2 fanatics
20 NGs w/ 2 fanatics
2 Wolf Chariots
2 Pump Wagons
3 Rock Lobbas
1 Doom Diver."

He massacred all 3 opponents, getting 100/100 Generalship score.

Squigs made up the main battlefield, with fanatic launchers behind and the chariots for support charges.
The shaman would have been hiding in the rear, mostly going for the Waaag like spells.

The combination of Waaagh and massive Squigherds seemed too much for all of his opponents.

And now we don't have WAAAGH! spell, which was key to the abusive nature of this combo ;D But its still viable.

Bortus
13-03-2011, 20:39
I was just about to post a similar question about squigs so I'm glad I saw this post. Now would you take multiple smallish units or go for larger ones? I'm currently re-building my O&G army for 8th edition play so I'm starting at 2500 pts. Have the points cost stayed the same in the new book?

Turtleking
13-03-2011, 21:45
I'm not sure what they we're. I don't have the old book in front of me.

I was considering going for a massive unit of squigs, I'm not sure if its better to take a bunch of smaller ones...

Mal? :)

snottlebocket
13-03-2011, 21:46
I was just about to post a similar question about squigs so I'm glad I saw this post. Now would you take multiple smallish units or go for larger ones? I'm currently re-building my O&G army for 8th edition play so I'm starting at 2500 pts. Have the points cost stayed the same in the new book?

I'd go with a single big one. They're unprotected t3 models so they'll die like flies anytime someone hits them. If the unit flees you lose the whole thing.

They're good in combat though. So make sure the unit is big enough to arrive, big enough to keep it's static res, big enough to chomp a huge bite out of the foe.

big big big.

Kalandros
13-03-2011, 21:59
[Squig Horde 1] [Squig Horde 2]
[NG A-] [NG B-] [NG C-] [NG D]

Anyone who charges either squig horde will be forced to stop during their charge, for fanatics to be released diagonally, to force the chargers to complete charge on top of fanatics (unless you roll too high on fanatic range, like 10+)

Its a good way to reduce enemy units with anything from 2d6 S5 AP to 6d6 S5 AP - who cares if you lose a few squigs and herders to your own fanatics? ;D They can't panic btw.

Turtleking
13-03-2011, 22:00
Thanks for posting the list Kalandros.

Is this still do-able without the WAAAGH! spell?

I'm so going to try that night goblin thing ^.~

ariochhelldrake
14-03-2011, 01:15
Sounds like a fun unit let us know how you get on with it.

Another drawback is that you will need your General nearby for his leadership otherwise an unlucky round will see them go wild though the damage they inflict could be worth it.

With hatred there gonna be lethal to Dwarfs as well!!!

I suspect small units of Squig herders will suffer against armies with higher I as with T3 and no armour they will die easy so thinking big is the way to go.

Kalandros
14-03-2011, 02:49
Dwellers Bellow: It will kill many Herders but the Squigs will only lose 1/6th of their numbers, more or less depending if you roll lots of 6s, having base S5 is a blessing.

Their I is 3, so average for purple sun.

They got decent stat-test protection compared to the rest of the army.
Definitely a big + here.

The problem now is getting enough models - I bet if I buy 30 squigs, they will announce new plastics.. D:

Turtleking
14-03-2011, 03:40
Dwellers Bellow: It will kill many Herders but the Squigs will only lose 1/6th of their numbers, more or less depending if you roll lots of 6s, having base S5 is a blessing.

Their I is 3, so average for purple sun.

They got decent stat-test protection compared to the rest of the army.
Definitely a big + here.

The problem now is getting enough models - I bet if I buy 30 squigs, they will announce new plastics.. D:

They may, but your metal ones will still look cool! ;)

I can't believe I'm really thinking about making my boom unit Squigs. Gork help me....

AMWOOD co
14-03-2011, 05:54
If I use my hoppers as squigs in the herd I've got almost 30 of them... spear gobbos can be Herders... I can do this...

Hordes for greenskins really seems to be the centre point of the army now. Support them with odd little units (chariots, warmachines, fanatic ferries) and they can really go to town it seems.

Turtleking
14-03-2011, 16:58
I'm going to use night goblins just to proxy them for a game and see how it works.

Lets get some battle reports in and figure out how these guys do.

Da GoBBo
14-03-2011, 17:10
I'm using Skarsnik as a unit filler. It looks Awesome :cool:

drear
14-03-2011, 18:21
this does seem like an awesome and powerful unit to feild, but its the cost that will prevent alot of us from feilding it D:

30 squig alone cost 90 pounds or so, + handlers..thats alot of cash to spend!
im going to sculpt a few squig tonight, if i can make 14 without much trouble im going the full 9 yards and sculpting 30 +

AMWOOD co
14-03-2011, 18:22
I'm using Skarsnik as a unit filler. It looks Awesome :cool:

I've got the Old Skarsnik somewhere (unofficial champion?). Beat's using Gobbla as a lvl 2 shaman, I guess.

drear
14-03-2011, 18:38
ive been trying to work out if its a good unit to feild. for the same cost eqivilant of a 30 squig deathstar you can have 60 ngoblins with nets, command and 1 fanatic.

attacks wise..its 10 attacks short of the squigstar, but can reduce str by 1 and cause atleast d6 wounds off the bat. its lower initiative though.

can goblin spells effect squig? poison or arp would be brutal!

Avian
14-03-2011, 18:58
All the augment spells, apart from 'Ere we go (orcs only) and Fists of Gork (orc shaman only) can be cast on squigs.

drear
14-03-2011, 19:15
amazing <: i know whats going in my 2500 list now !

Malorian
14-03-2011, 19:30
You know what sucks, I made a youtube report on hordestars the day the new book came out (that included the herdhorde) but the upload failed :(

The squig herde horde does best against high strength enemies so that their T3 and no armor mean relatively little. For example they would be awesome against high elve and taking out white lions, but they would be useless against Dark elve repeater crossbows and spear units.

drear
14-03-2011, 19:34
so they should face elites with good str rather than 'core' units that would just benefit from hitting a target with no armour?

maybe it will be a good way to finally beat my freinds stormvermin unit D:

Slayerthane
14-03-2011, 19:50
Since squig herds are somewhat cost prohibitive, you could try to do the same with trolls.

drear
14-03-2011, 19:57
so 7 trolls instead of 30 squig?

thats 21 wounds instead of 40, but the trolls get regen and have vomit.

Turtleking
14-03-2011, 20:00
this does seem like an awesome and powerful unit to feild, but its the cost that will prevent alot of us from feilding it D:

im going to sculpt a few squig tonight, if i can make 14 without much trouble im going the full 9 yards and sculpting 30 +

It ain't cheap. Grab your green stuff and show us how it looks.

ive been trying to work out if its a good unit to feild. for the same cost eqivilant of a 30 squig deathstar you can have 60 ngoblins with nets, command and 1 fanatic.

attacks wise..its 10 attacks short of the squigstar, but can reduce str by 1 and cause atleast d6 wounds off the bat. its lower initiative though.

Night gobo's don't attack on a 5 str though.

so 7 trolls instead of 30 squig?

thats 21 wounds instead of 40, but the trolls get regen and have vomit.

21 instead of 40 is a lot. vomit and regen is nice, but not that nice. You could do the same thing with trolls. But Everyone wants to run a troll horde right now, which is not cheap either. You get more bang for your buck with squigs, not counting them blowing up.

Avian
14-03-2011, 21:35
21 instead of 40 is a lot.
If you aren't going up against flaming attacks, +1 T and Regen is better than double the number of Wounds. :p

drear
14-03-2011, 21:39
but then trolls cant explode when they flee !

Avian
14-03-2011, 21:45
Did you mean to present that as a positive or as a negative? ;)

Turtleking
14-03-2011, 22:06
Did you mean to present that as a positive or as a negative? ;)

He certainly meant it with a positive, with a slight negative... :)

Kiras of the flame
14-03-2011, 23:46
Everyone likes a good squig... I preffer mine's well done with a side of fries thank you ;)

I think it's pretty misleading that Squigs will win a battle... they're definitely mean. and bouncy... but I don't think I'll be using a horde of them as a game winning strategy... more like fanatics... they're fun!

Turtleking
14-03-2011, 23:49
It's only 400 or so points so I don't think they will win a game on their own. But do you think they could be a big hitty unit at 1500?

Bortus
15-03-2011, 23:29
Hey does anyone here know the link to a page where someone was making home made squigs from green stuff and pink horrors? I thought I bookmarked it but cannot find it! Much appreciated!!! :)

drear
16-03-2011, 14:08
thought id add something i noticed playing my dquig herd for the first time last night.

i think taking more handlers than needed will help get the unit to combat. i only had a small unit 14 squig 4 handlers, but they got sniped out by skirmishers !

so sadly the unit never saw combat, it cuased a massive amount of wounds to a nearby unit of night goblins when it exploded and killed 6 skink..so points wise it never made up for itself!

but that was only a small unit, i think a horde + 10-15 handlers might be very awesome!

sssk
16-03-2011, 14:26
It's only 400 or so points

Only? Now that I've ditched the plan of 100 night gobbos in a unit (because it was too expensive pointswise), my most expensive unit is 250 points.... and that's in a game anywhere from 1500 - 3000 points.

400 points seems awfully expensive. On a conversion note, I have 5 heads from the dark elf cold ones lying around somewhere... if only I could sculpt huh?

P.S. you need 1 handler per 3 squigs, so 14 squigs and 4 handlers doesn't add up

drear
16-03-2011, 14:30
thats 1 handler for every 3 squig. like grotz in 40k where you can min /max grots/handlers i assumed it was the same for most units with a requirment of handler/creature.

Malorian
16-03-2011, 16:05
Only? Now that I've ditched the plan of 100 night gobbos in a unit (because it was too expensive pointswise), my most expensive unit is 250 points.... and that's in a game anywhere from 1500 - 3000 points.

You're looking at it the wrong way.

50 night goblins w/ banner and nets are 205 points. If you have two of them it is 410 points.

If you combine them to have a unit of 100 w/ banner and nets they are 355.

So you saved 55 points, gained 10 more attacks, and made them better point denial.

Bringing this back to squig herds, the point is it's not about how expensive the unit is, it's what you can do with it and how much more effective it is compare to two units half the size.

Da GoBBo
16-03-2011, 16:36

400 points seems awfully expensive.

Compare it to the other bashy hordes we have, black orcs and trolls and see it is about 200 points cheaper, while most probably having the advantage of steadfast too.

Gilbert Gosseyn III
17-03-2011, 01:03

If you have a tutorial, please post it somewhere ^_^ I sculpted 4 Great Cave Squig but I can't find an easy solution to sculpt another 30 normal Squigs. I was thinking about resin cast molds.

Turtleking
17-03-2011, 06:33
Compare it to the other bashy hordes we have, black orcs and trolls and see it is about 200 points cheaper, while most probably having the advantage of steadfast too.

Right-o. I am trying to compare squigs to B orcs and trolls, not really to gobos :)

I would also love to see a cheap way to sculpt squigiies