PDA

View Full Version : WOC 2000pt list...no magic?

shnarf83
14-03-2011, 02:17
Hi,

After playing quite a few games with Dwarves I've really enjoyed the playing style of not having to worry about magic... with this in mind I've created a WOC that should be fun to play.. I've always been one to get more involved with a theme of an army and what the units look like rather than winning as with lucky dice rolls anything is possible!

Anyway:

(Lord)
Chaos Lord: MoK, Juggernaut, Sword of Bloodshed, Talisman of Endurance, shield + Diabolic Splendour

(Hero)
Exalted Hero: (BSB) Shield, Collar of Khorne, Wailing Banner

(Core)
49 Maurauders, Full command, shields +light armour (BSB goes here)

30 Maurauders, Full Command, Shields + light armour

2 x 5 hounds

10 Maurauder horseman, full command, shields

(Special)

5 Chaos Knights, MoK, full command, War Banner (Lord goes here)

(Rare)

2 x Spawn

1 x hellCannon

This roughly comes to 2000pts with about 50 pts leftover.. It gives me a good solid base of troops with a couple of headaches.... The spawn can tie up troublesome units while I obliterate the others.. The Chaos Lord joins the Knights and picks units to smash... with frenzy he'll have 10 attacks by himself! I will be fairly weak to magic but in Warhammer a bad dice roll and that wizard's head goes pop! Any advice would be appreciated... I know it can be tweaked to be more efficient but I'm more looking for fun games rather than tournament style games...:)

Harwammer
14-03-2011, 02:47
A couple of points,

I feel diabolic splendor is only really worthwhile on models that can reliably cause panic (ie terror causers and spell casters). Most things will be finding it hard to wound the knights and even with -1Ld the chances of failing fear against the knights is kind of lumpy. Also don't forget this gift doesn't work against break tests! If I was you I'd swap it out for something different, such as Word of Agony.

My other point is just that you can't take a magic banner AND regular magic items on your BSB you need to choose between EITHER a magic banner (any points) OR regular magic items (up to 50 points).

I hope my comments help!

shnarf83
14-03-2011, 04:32
Wasn't aware of that with the BSB! Wasn't sure of Diabolic splendour but was weighing up between that and Word of Agony... cheers for the comments!

Yochanan
15-03-2011, 02:25
Looks like a fun list to play. I would drop the spawns and up the second unit of marauders.

Id'git Thwompa
16-03-2011, 22:56
a few thoughts, first you have 3 units of warmachine hunters this is probably a little excessive. If you are going to go marauder heavy they are cheap enough to always take either the mark of tzeentch (a 5+ parry save is awesome) or khorne with great weapons (one of the highest damage output for their points in the game)

the spawn are cool ... but even as a fellow fluff lover who likes theme over effectiveness they are almost completely useless now that step up means they will face a lot of attacks and can't be the door stop they once were.

I love that you are looking at running a lord with knights as that is fun and fluffy. My suggestion would be to give him the crown that makes him stubborn , chaos knights and especially lords are very hard to kill but massed combat res can be a large disadvantage it would help a great deal if you were stubborn and that much more likely to hold out against overwhelming odds. I usually run a lord on a juggernaut with a halberd to keep his high I value and still have extra kick. He doesn't really need a shield when you combine the juggernaut save boost and his chaos armour.

Just a few thoughts at first glance.

shnarf83
19-03-2011, 01:56
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice here is my list that I'm pretty intent on trying:
(Lord)
Chaos Lord: MoK, Juggernaut, Sword of Bloodshed, Talisman of Endurance, shield + Word of Agony

(Hero)
Exalted Hero: (BSB) Shield, Collar of Khorne, Enchanted shield

(Core)
49 Maurauders, Full command, shields +light armour (BSB goes here)

30 Maurauders, Full Command, Shields + light armour

2 x 5 hounds

10 Maurauder horseman, full command, shields

(Special)

5 Chaos Knights, MoK, full command, War Banner (Lord goes here)

(Rare)

2 x Spawn

1 x hellCannon

I know this isn't the most effective army but I think it'll definitely be fun to play... One of many ideas I've had to play this would be.... Maurauder Horseman on the flank dealing with Warmachines asap... Lord with knights charging ahead (picking a suitable unit to smash) with hounds on their flanks to sacrifice themselves attacking any units that would try to flank attack the knights.. the spawn will then take over the hounds role as they should have caught up by then. Hopefully the knights won't take too long to decimate their target (+1 combat res for charging, war banner +1, 10 attacks from Lord, + frenzied knights should be able to smash any unit 30 or less) in the meantime the two Maurauder units will make their way up and take over the Spawns duties as they won't last long now with the 'step up rule'. The Hellcannon will try and soften up the Knights target hopefully before they do their first charge and then just pick off any other obvious targets.

I know this will not always go to plan but I do believe the Knights with Lord will be powerful enough to hold their own..even if charged (but that shouldn't happen too often) Their are plenty of problem units in my army so if the opponent does just focus on the knights he will be screwed later... but if he doesn't he will have another headache... overall it just seems like a fun list to play with and I'm already develpoing a back story for the characters and I like the fact it breaks out of the 'norm' of Lvl 4 sorceror with every core troop having Great weapons... to me Warhammer was always about the story, yes winning is fun but losing with character can be more fun... and in the world of Warhammer you could have the most effective list but if the dice let you down you're screwed anyway so why not have fun?