PDA

View Full Version : General...On a Horse... with the footsloggers

Kiras of the flame
14-03-2011, 06:14
Just Wondering if having someone like the general on something great... like a barded horse (or whatever you ride) and throwing him in with some foot soldiers...

good idea or bad idea?

Steam_Giant
14-03-2011, 09:56
Your general would lose his LOS (look out sir) roll, and be targeted by every warmachine going.

It looks cool but i dont think its practical.

WarmbloodedLizard
14-03-2011, 10:30
depends on army and enemy army.

RealMikeBob
14-03-2011, 13:13
If you try it take the charmed shield. It's saved my Pox Rat mounted warlord several times.

GreySeerZ
14-03-2011, 15:10
Doesn't it give the character immunity to KB though, since hes now a calvary model. My friend uses it all the time for his VC standard bearer. 1+ save, immune to KB, etc.

sssk
14-03-2011, 15:23
Doesn't it give the character immunity to KB

Nope, I believe cavalry still gets killing blowed.

As for the "cavalry bloke" with infantry plan, cool in terms of imagery, highly questionable in terms of gameplay. On the whole, he'll just get blown to bits if you play against anyone with projectile weapons.

russellmoo
14-03-2011, 15:39
It's fine as long as he is bunkered.

Haravikk
14-03-2011, 23:47
Great fun, and cool to see, but if your opponents are the kind that will single out champions and try to snipe characters, then it's a very bad idea, so definitely not something to do at tournaments.

In general though; bang-for-buck it's not really that useful as the whole point of most mounts is really the speed more than anything, and cavalry don't fit in most infantry units properly so they end up stuck on the side.

Kiras of the flame
15-03-2011, 02:22
this sucks because my general opponents are dwarves/skaven.... though Lizardmen should be easy

Haravikk
15-03-2011, 12:26
Well, I personally don't tend to target unit champions or characters for sniping unless they're really threatening my army, as I know how people love to just have a cool general fighting in daring challenges and so-on, and how easily a game can be ruined if a lucky cannon shot kills your favourite model on turn one.

So it really depends if the players you frequently face have this same kind of unwritten convention of letting heroes have a bit of fun or not. As any power-gamer will snipe a mounted character in infantry in an instant, but a good casual gamer should be well up for facing him down in combat.

You could of course still use the model but don't pay for the mount in points, so he's just using it for the commanding presence it gives, but fighting on foot when it actually comes to it while the mount gets sent back out of harms way. You still have to be wary of true line of sight, but in a unit it's not such a big deal as shooting goes onto them first, but for character sniping spells (Lore of Death) it's still a potential risk.

ariochhelldrake
15-03-2011, 12:33
Depends on the army your playing though they just become a target for every warmachine/template attack your enemy can throw at them (although if you general is cheap/resilient/expendable this can be used to your advantage).

The other downside depending on your own army is base size, if your infantry is 20mm you character has to attach to one side of the unit, cant make way etc etc

Lukasz_VT
15-03-2011, 12:35
Well, I personally don't tend to target unit champions or characters for sniping unless they're really threatening my army, as I know how people love to just have a cool general fighting in daring challenges and so-on, and how easily a game can be ruined if a lucky cannon shot kills your favourite model on turn one.

You sound like a really fun opponent who understands the rule of cool and that games should create fun for both players :D

Cavalry can be killing blowed.

Malorian
15-03-2011, 16:05
Terrible idea.

For the reasons listed above.

Orkbert
15-03-2011, 16:39
But at least he would be save from any stomping.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
15-03-2011, 16:55
Yeah, the reasons stated above are why I don't use my nice kitbashed black orc warboss anymore :( .

Kiras of the flame
15-03-2011, 23:43
sad really... looks like the rule of cool can be destroyed by common sense

IronShark
16-03-2011, 03:05
Yes, the character doesn't get LOS, which is a bad thing. But not as terrible as some people are making, depending on your list and your equipment. It only really matters vs Cannons, Stone Throwers, and certain spells

With a charmed shield and a ward save, it may be better for you to have opponents shoot their cannons at your character than your monsters/war machines/whatever.

EnternalVoid
16-03-2011, 07:07
The only time I would seriously think about this is if sniping is not a concern. Either because I have a great ward save *and by great I mean 3+ or the reverse ward save type the dark elves have* or my general is not more important then everything else in my army *and stuff like the Charm Shield could make them lose the first one anyway*.

Being mounted does have a few advantages. for some armies it is an easy way to get a high armor save with out magic items or only needing a cheap magic item. This leaves more room for other items. Like has already been noted, you are immune to stomps and thunderstomps. This is actually kind of nice if you have your character challenging people on dragons and the like. The problem with that of course being those are not to common right now. In addition being on a mount he can charge pretty far out of units if you want him to suddenly go solo if you need him to.

ftayl5
16-03-2011, 11:32
Depends on meta-game. You only ever face Beastmen and Daemons? Fine, do it. If not, he'll be de-mounted and thoroughly reduced to a paste by enemy war machine A, B, C and probably D.

SilasOfTheLambs
16-03-2011, 15:36
I have taken a riding BSB with a charmed shield and the white cloak (5+ ward, 2+ ward against flaming) to several tournaments. I faced cannons, hellcannons, trebs, and rock lobbas and nobody ever fired a shot at him. In these games I had a pope wagon, which usually ate all the artillery fire going.

That, I think, is the key. If you've brought something else the cannons would rather use their two turns of shooting on, then a mounted character can work. If not, and you face any cannons, you're in trouble.

ewar
16-03-2011, 22:00
I have taken a riding BSB with a charmed shield and the white cloak (5+ ward, 2+ ward against flaming) to several tournaments. I faced cannons, hellcannons, trebs, and rock lobbas and nobody ever fired a shot at him. In these games I had a pope wagon, which usually ate all the artillery fire going.

That, I think, is the key. If you've brought something else the cannons would rather use their two turns of shooting on, then a mounted character can work. If not, and you face any cannons, you're in trouble.

A very sensible suggestion.

I like it because it looks damned cool - when I take him, my Scar Vet inevitably rides to battle on his trusty cold one. It used to confer fear immunity on my saurus unit (well, it still does, but now it's slightly pointless).

You know what? No one bothers to snipe him because stegadons draw all the fire.

Dante blackfur
17-03-2011, 18:46
Same with Skaven, I like my warlords on Rogres, and they almost never get shot at, either because I snipe my opponents Warmachines or because they see usually 2+ HPAs coming at them :D