PDA

View Full Version : thinking of starting WOTR

drear
17-03-2011, 15:28
there are a few people in my local store starting wotr, and the new manger is bigging it up as he seems rather into it. so i thought id start.

im looking at the easterlings, and wandering if an all easterling army would be a good choice to play with?

also i saw a ringwraith named ' the easterling' but cant seem to find him on the gw site? is he part of the wotr and can he be used with easterlings in a force?

also the 'blade master' looks damn cool. i recon ill paint him up even if i dont start playing this game.

fracas
17-03-2011, 18:57
for easterlings, consider buying metal pikes from old glory to replace sword armed warriors.

khamul is the easterling ring wraith

all easterling army ok but not alot of variety

ForgottenLore
17-03-2011, 19:05
Easterlings are probably the best sub-group of the fallen realms army list, even so, limiting yourself to just Easterlings will be a bit, well, limited. You will probably want to include some Haradrim or Khandish stuff as well

Khamul the Easterling. He is in the Mordor section

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460024a&prodId=prod1080033

Basically considered by one and all to be the most powerful of the ringwraiths in the game.

2-3 people in my LGS play Fallen Realms with an Easterling focus. It's a good army. Solid troop choices, fun to play and play against, attractive figs that don't look like generic fantasy.

sasheep
17-03-2011, 19:12
Easterlings are good, with solid troops and hard hitting cavalry but they are really limited in choice. I would add some Harad, they nice and cheap and can be used to hold things up while you kataphrakts get into the flanks. The corsair arbalesters are also really worth getting.

drear
17-03-2011, 21:13
so hand weapons ans sheilds are a bad choice for easterlings?

i was considering doing the opposite and adding swords to the pikemen from the box .

also the manager at gw said that if i bought 3 boxes of easterlings and a command model id have 750 points ish ..is this right?

ForgottenLore
17-03-2011, 22:06
Pikes are a fairly good weapon, and Easterlings have probably the best pikemen in the game because they don't have to sacrifice shields to carry them. Basically for 5 points you are loosing nothing and gaining weapons that seriously screw enemy cavalry that charge you so they are pretty popular.

Also, only 4 pikemen come in a box (I think) so those models are considerably rarer than the swordsmen.

I wouldn't do any conversions until you play a few games using them as pikemen and using them as swordsmen. See how they play. If you do decide you don't want Easterling pikemen, don't chop them up and convert them, sell them on eBay and buy more boxes.

750 pts sounds high. I would figure 100 pts per box, plus 125 to 165 pts for an epic hero. If you also got full command upgrades for 3 formations (captain, banner, drummer and the like) that would probably put you over 700, but I don't think that would make for a very good 750 pt army, although it might make a decent core for a 1500-2000 point army.