PDA

View Full Version : Soapbox

blooddragon
18-03-2011, 01:40
So in the last year, Games Workshop have had 3 Space Marine release months and 1 Dark Eldar release. Not a single model for any of the other 10 playable races. The next release is will be another Dark Eldar installment (their second-and-a-half). Which would mean that, over a 1 and a half year period, there have been 3 space marine releases and 2.5 releases for the same xenos race.

Thus, in the last year, out of 11 playable races, 2 of them have received 5 releases between them, and no other army has received a single model.

List of races by how long ago their last model was released:

Necrons - 9 years
Witchhunters - 8 years
Tau - 4 1/2 years
Chaos Space Marines - 3 years
Eldar - 3 years (minus 1 tank kit)

Over the last 3 years, since 5th edition we've had (major releases 40k releases):

Space Marines (blue)
Imperial Guard
Space Marines (light blue)
Tyranids
Space Marines (red)
Dark Eldar
Space Marines (red again)
Space Marines (silver)

5 major Space Marine releases, 1 other imperial release. And 2 xenos release months.

(NB: I'm not counting demons because they were fantasy cross-over.)

Is anyone else thinking.... what the hell is going on? Over the last year alone, has it ever been this bad for Marine saturation? Ever?

Jack of Blades
18-03-2011, 01:43
In the shiny sparkles of the far sales figures, there are only Space Marines :)
(That it's a circular problem with better updated armies selling more and then getting more updates so they sell more doesn't seem to occur to GW).

Colonel Kolm
18-03-2011, 02:06
on the one hand i'm annoyed as i had for a long time refused to play any 3+ save army. On the other hand from a business perspective i can sort of understand why they do what they do. the problem with GW is pretty much everyone has owned, currently owns, or will own a space marine army at one point or another. as such by constantly updating them and making new shiny toys it allows them to keep sales of their largest line going strong instead of stagnating. is it fair to the armies that have had to wait, not at all, unfortunately so long as space marines are the basic race they will always get the most attention and everyone else will simply have to wait.

as to the other question of has marine saturation been this bad before, in the roughly 10+ years i've been playing it doesn't really seem any worse then usual maybe a bit faster then usual but new marine codices being made and produced quickly really isn't that new

MajorWesJanson
18-03-2011, 02:28
Over the last 3 years, since 5th edition we've had (major releases 40k releases):

Space Marines (blue)
Imperial Guard
Tyranids
Space Marines (red)
Dark Eldar
Space Marines (silver)

Off the top of my head, add an IG wave, and IG/Eldar wave, and an Ork wave. Daemons do count since even though they cross over with fantasy, they have a 40K book too and are a legal 40K army.

Rumored coming up this year is a Dark Eldar wave, a Tyranid wave, a flier related release (minimal Space Marine involvement rumored), and either a Necron or Tau codex.

The Orange
18-03-2011, 02:44
As I remember it, this was said to be the year of power armor. And honestly if your codex isn't coming out realistically you shouldn't be expecting any releases for your army. GW operate under the assumption that their models will only sell well when they come out with the accompanying codex. Have to give GW some credit for doing a (IMO) fantastic job with the Dark Eldar though. That being said, yes I do hope GW shifts back and gives some love to the non-Imperials, those power armored blokes have quite a large model selection already.

Dvora
18-03-2011, 04:07
Well, now all we have to look forward to is Tau, Eldar, Necrons for non imperial release. Unfortunatly there will be Dark Angels, Black Templars and Sisters Of Battle to look forward too, which are all 3+ armor armies.

UberBeast
18-03-2011, 04:48
MWJ mentioned the ork wave with the dred, kans, plastic grots...

Weird Boy
18-03-2011, 05:39
Unfortunatly there will be Dark Angels, Black Templars and Sisters Of Battle to look forward too, which are all 3+ armor armies.

Sisters, yeah. The odds of seeing either marine book this edition is pretty damn low.

adreal
18-03-2011, 05:44
So in the last year, Games Workshop have had 3 Space Marine release months and 1 Dark Eldar release. Not a single model for any of the other 10 playable races. The next release is will be another Dark Eldar installment (their second-and-a-half). Which would mean that, over a 1 and a half year period, there have been 3 space marine releases and 2.5 releases for the same xenos race.

Thus, in the last year, out of 11 playable races, 2 of them have received 5 releases between them, and no other army has received a single model.

Necrons - 9 years
Witchhunters - 8 years
Tau - 4 1/2 years

Space Marines (blue)
Imperial Guard
Tyranids
Space Marines (red)
Dark Eldar
Space Marines (silver)

5 major Space Marine releases, 1 other imperial release. And 2 xenos release months.

(NB: I'm not counting demons because they were fantasy cross-over.)

Is anyone else thinking.... what the hell is going on? Over the last year alone, has it ever been this bad for Marine saturation? Ever?

I like that you complain about a dark eldar release......if anything there should be more dark eldar releases to make up for all the years without an update (dark eldar were the first or second book from third edition, after that release they got nothing)

Nurgling Chieftain
18-03-2011, 05:51
Wouldn't have said the Soulgrinder was crossover. :p Yeah, space marines get lots of attention - and sell lots of models. But the OP was remarkably disingenuous in overstating that case.

chromedog
18-03-2011, 09:06
I like that you complain about a dark eldar release......if anything there should be more dark eldar releases to make up for all the years without an update (dark eldar were the first or second book from third edition, after that release they got nothing)

Second release.
Behind Space Marines (who are always first release).

ShodansOwn
18-03-2011, 09:35
I do see what you're getting at, but you gotta recognize that the Tyranid and Dark Eldar contributions were huge, and the IG got quite a bit of love as well. This is new models and rules all round.

I'll definitely agree that the company is a little out of touch with the market and the fans, and I've never been impressed with how they conduct themselves in a PR sense. It would be nice if they could actually have a section dedicated to each race, or at least deliberately share the love between races for releases.

In addition to the expected Sisters/Witch Hunters this year, there is also a wave of Tyranids on the way which basically fills out the whole codex.

After GK, I suspect the space marines will be left alone for a little.

They've got all the new Blood Angels, GK models, the Storm Raven is out...I think if they were any good at marketing, they would realize all the SM players are now broke, and all the other race's players are so desperate to buy new models for their army that they're giving it to third party companies.

Lord Damocles
18-03-2011, 11:06

Necrons - 9 years
Witchhunters - 8 years
Tau - 4 1/2 years

Not to be pedantic*, but why ignore the Fire Prism/DoomSpinDeathWeaver thingabebob for Eldar and Daemon Prince for Chaos Marines?

Also, the last Necron model outside of Forgeworld was the current foot Lord who was released with the Medusa V wave in July 2006.

*OK, I'm being pedantic :shifty: