PDA

View Full Version : Visiting near South Bend, IN in May - GAME WANTED!

knightime98
18-03-2011, 11:57
I'll be visiting in the area of South Bend, IN in the first week of May. Looking for a venue (Place to play) and an opponent to play.

- I'm not a power gamer, so please leave the Dual Steam Tanks, Karl Franz, and your 4 cannons at home.. LOLz

- Looking for a balanced fluffy type army to play. A little of the big stuff is okay, perhaps just one hydra or something like that is manageable. I play lists that contain one on a regular basis but stay away from dual hydras as that seems to me to be abuse.

- Lots of core, is what I play and like to see in my opponent

- To have a great good time playing with someone else other than the regular crowd at my local gaming shop.

- 2k to 2500 pts would be a nice set up.

- Any advice, tips, or actual gamers interested let me know!

- Will be driving so, I'll have my army packed with the regular stuff.

- I'll also be in Alabama for a day but I think my schedule will not allow me to actually play.. But, I'll have to check it out. I'll be near Birmingham for that day or 2.

Many thanks for any takers.. I can share phone # off list to work out details if necessary.

drear
18-03-2011, 12:04
so you want a fluff based army, with lots of core, and a list that doesnt encroach on your idea of power gaming..
yet you can only have 1 or 2 games for this one trip?

you seem to be ecplypsing alot of potential games by your strict rules on what you will play.

knightime98
19-03-2011, 10:20
While your statement may be true, I'd rather have ONE fun game than TEN games that are ridiculous with DeathStars, full of purple suns/dwellers/teclis/2 HPA's, and so on.

Really simple, I like the troops to win the field not one (somewhat) lucky dice roll. For instance, Turn 1 - Infernal Gateway that sends a 50 man unit of core guys with a bsb into the void! ..

So, tell me that is your idea of fun? Because, that actually happened TWICE to me last game. My BSB, General, 1 unit of spears, and my unit of Greatswords BOTH got sucked into the void.. Sure call it lucky or whatever. But that was ~900 - 1000 points of a 2k army.

I am not here to talk about semantics.. Playing against a whole night gobbo army would be COOL with a Giant!
That is an army that I would like to play against..

An example of an ARMY that I WOULD NOT want to play against is something like this;

Dwarf Lord, Dwarf BSB, Dwarf Runelord in a unit of 50 Long Beards.
1 unit of 10 Thunderer's
7 Dwarf Warmachines

2000-2500 points.. I forget exactly it may of been 2250.
For real? How is this a fun army to play.. The above is a prime example of abuse (imo).

Anyhow, this is my take on it and what I enjoy. So, I'm simply posting what it is that I'd like to do with the time spent.

I'm on vacation to visit family in the area. I'll only have a 1/2 day to play a game or 2.. It'd be worth it just to get ONE person that I have not played against.

My local area, I've been gaming in for 10 years. You see all the same familiar faces week after week, month after month.. New fresh players would be sheer joy..

Andy p
19-03-2011, 15:11
I'll be visiting in the area of South Bend, IN in the first week of May. Looking for a venue (Place to play) and an opponent to play.

- I'm not a power gamer, so please leave the Dual Steam Tanks, Karl Franz, and your 4 cannons at home.. LOLz

- Looking for a balanced fluffy type army to play. A little of the big stuff is okay, perhaps just one hydra or something like that is manageable. I play lists that contain one on a regular basis but stay away from dual hydras as that seems to me to be abuse.

- Lots of core, is what I play and like to see in my opponent

- To have a great good time playing with someone else other than the regular crowd at my local gaming shop.

- 2k to 2500 pts would be a nice set up.

- Any advice, tips, or actual gamers interested let me know!

- Will be driving so, I'll have my army packed with the regular stuff.

- I'll also be in Alabama for a day but I think my schedule will not allow me to actually play.. But, I'll have to check it out. I'll be near Birmingham for that day or 2.

Many thanks for any takers.. I can share phone # off list to work out details if necessary.

It's such a shame I dont live in the States, in that area, as it seems you are describing my current Night Goblin themed army completely.

I tend to use 3 units of 50-40-30, mainly because of model constraints, a 25 strong squig herd team and 2 giants with 6 trolls. It comes to almost exactly 2000pts.

It's not immensely effective and I dont really care because I have so much fun messing about with this army. I even have a NG warboss to keep with the theme, despite the terrible leadership.
As for who I prefer to play I actually dont mind anyone, but since this current army is generally quite weak most of the power gamer types leave me alone, as victory against me with their armies has no triumphant feel to it and if they lose it's a massive embarrassment for them it seems.

The only people I dont play are those who blatently cheated.

The bearded one
19-03-2011, 15:18

Aww... I'm out.

Da GoBBo
19-03-2011, 16:49
If you ever come to the Netherlands, let me know :)

The bearded one
19-03-2011, 17:21
I'm in the Netherlands :)

GW Rotterdam

Every Thursday and Friday

knightime98
20-03-2011, 21:19
@ Andy P - This is a guy who actually gets what I'm talking about. It seems to me that a majority of players try to min/max units/monsters and so on. The game isn't about how you can abuse the rules/armies. It should be about how you can win with what you have in your core selections.

If I were to be extremely wealthy, I'd run a cash tournament where you would have to have 50 percent CORE and no blatant spells that ruin the game (dwellers, purple sun, infernal gateway) and so on. Magic really has taken a step forward in the power curve of the game. Heavy Cavalry were the thing to take before the step up rule (which was sorely needed). Instead of Cavalry armies you now have Teclis Armies. GW just traded power phases of the game. Ultimately, it is not the army itself that is broken but rather a player who chooses to play an army that can be broken (and albeit easily, for 7th edition it was Vampire Counts, Dark Elves, and DOC). I have played players who do play those armies but showed much restraint by not taking the Grave Guard Death star/ regen banner combo. Also, those players did not SPAM cast Invo which was so widely abused. So, the point is - I don't do those things so, there to my opponent should not either. It is a mind set. I am here to play a game to have FUN not to be a WAAC player.
Sadly, this is what I seem to see and read by posters such as drear. Getting knocked for posting what kind of game that I'd like to play.

So, that's my two cents.

btw, still looking for a game in that area... I'm posting on other sites as well and the local Hobby shops forums in that area.