PDA

View Full Version : 'Wing' lists

Darkstar2586
18-03-2011, 19:14
So the time has come for me to think about a new force, To go along side my Eldar, Tau, Vanilla & Fenris marines.

Wanting something a little different from the other play styles (& also available space...gf would kill me if she knew I was starting an entire new force to bring into the home) I decided on a dedicated wing army - specifically termy orientated.

I first thought it as an extension to my wolves, fielding them every-now and then in my local games to brake up predictability. However the idea of a small army being forced to take an expensive IC as a basis and requiring drop pods was not entirely appealing. Although the option for unique builds and the availability of combi weapons was a nice touch!

Next was the idea of using DA deathwing rules, although potentially still using the TDA wolves models. Rules/points wise this seemed a stronger build, allowing you to get more models into the picture, but the amount seems too strong with the new FAQ, and trying to avoid the cheese label although I did like the option to field a strong HQ-esq unit with the apothecary option.

Finally with the release of GK codex in a few weeks I had a look into a possible Grey wing build. Storm bolters with I6 force weapons and psycannons certainly was nothing to scoff at. Ive already a small collection of GKT's which I used to use every now and then as allies and have given them some serious thought of dusting them off, stripping their paint and giving them another go!

I'm not after a hugely competitive force, as it will never grace the tables at tournaments but in my local scene it will be against alot of Nids & Orks. So a strong CC theme will be essential.

Whats your take on these options?

Who has experience of the various wings?

Asher
19-03-2011, 17:37
It depends a lot on how much you want to limit yourself. Generally, since the 3rd edition DA codex a pure Wing list is considered to have:

- Only TDA armor
- Only LR as transports
- Only Dreadnoughts for support

Given this limitations, the Deathwing does good compared to the other two, as TH/SS provides good protection and CML good firepower and both come fairly cheap. Also Belial is a very cost effective HQ.

It's difficult to comment on GK, but from what is known, Psyfleman Dreadnoughs and Psycannons provide good anti-vehicle ability. Plus the Grand Master provides some really cool abilites.

Wolves' terminators tend to get expensive when equiped properly, as such you may be even more outnumbered than with the other two wing lists. If you decide to support the terminators with some other elements of the army like ML Longfangs or TWC then the army does good as well.

Dribble Joy
19-03-2011, 18:05
It depends a lot on how much you want to limit yourself. Generally, since the 3rd edition DA codex a pure Wing list is considered to have:

- Only TDA armor
- Only LR as transports
- Only Dreadnoughts for support

Or a Ravenwing variant like the Squigwing (nob bikers/koptas).

Go Deffwing and stomp stuff with more PKs than you can shake a PF at.

farfromsam
19-03-2011, 18:15
leave "Wing-ing' to Dark Angels.

Darkstar2586
19-03-2011, 20:42
Could never get behind orks :p

I agree deathwing had the original take on all termy lists, but the other variants have merit.
The WG list would get very expensive quickly but get the option for combi weapons.

Given how the gk rumours are going they seem a bridge between wolfwing and death wing. Cheaper in price then the WG but a little more then deathwing, but with options for multiple upgrades.

Has anyone used both wolfwing and death wing? Would be interest to get their take

Dark Aly
19-03-2011, 20:55
Next was the idea of using DA deathwing rules, although potentially still using the TDA wolves models. Rules/points wise this seemed a stronger build, allowing you to get more models into the picture, but the amount seems too strong with the new FAQ, and trying to avoid the cheese label although I did like the option to field a strong HQ-esq unit with the apothecary option.

Deathwing are deffinately not a stronger build and certainly not cheese. You may be able to get more TH/SS termies and a few Cyclones in the list but it's not nearly enough shooting or strength against AV14 vehicles and even AV13 walkers will give you real big problems. There are a lot of difficulties playing deathwing effectively and you will likely loose >50% of your games even when you begin to understand how they work. By all accounts give them a go but don't expect to be overwhelmed.

This is only true of 'pure' deathwing though. Once you add raven or iron wing support they do become nasty.