PDA

View Full Version : Best of the London GW's?

Alairan
18-03-2011, 19:49
I so hope this is the right section to post this.

So, as someone whos going to be returning to the hobby after leaving towards the end of 3rd edition, I want to pop into a store, look at my options and generally have a chat about things. Now, going into London is easy as I'm in Enfield, but I was wondering, where would people recommend I head?

Anyone had any particular experiences with the various Games Workshops spread around the london area, which should be avoided, which are the fabulous ones and so forth?

Uncle Nurgle
18-03-2011, 20:55
Personally I'd suggest the Covent Garden store, they're all very nice and aren't the type of staff members to just badger you into a purchase, I've always found them really easy to talk to and they've got some really great advice. Also they have some really awesome events/campaigns, they've got a really sick 40k campaign that's just kicking off actually.

The oxford street store has some really amazing stuff in their cabinets, I have no idea about the quality of their staff members though as I don't got in there that often.

I might be showing my total lack of geography knowledge, but Enfield is more North London so, if I'm correct then I'd go to Wood Green as well. The manager, i think his name is Matt or Mike, he's very nice and very helpful.

Sclep
18-03-2011, 21:19
I go to GW Angel because it's closest to me, but not by much. It's a newish one man store, and closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, but the manager would be more than happy to chat to you. You might want to phone ahead, as he is the only staff member, but he is a nice guy.

My experience of Covent Garden and the Plaza is limited, but it matches Uncle Nurgle's description. However, I find the Covent Garden venue a bit small, and I think both stores suffer in some ways because of their prime locations: depending on your visiting hours they have a large throughput and may not be able give you dedicated attention.

On the non GW front, Dark Sphere is a brick and mortar miniatures and stuff store just by Waterloo Station. They sell GW at a 20% discount in the shop and 25% off online. I don't buy GW there because I use the services of GW Angel.

Chicken Pig
18-03-2011, 21:31
I would echo the Angel one as well, as Covent Garden is just too small. The chap who works in there is very knowledgable and easy to get on with whether dealing with marauding kids or veterens. Then again neither of those stores hold a lot of stock. I really like the Wood Green store as it holds a good lot of stock and has a nice gaming mezzanine level. The staff are pretty good too. Hope that helps a little.

enyoss
18-03-2011, 23:47
I always found the Oxford Street store to be pretty good. The staff don't hassle you into buying stuff you don't want or need, even though they'll come over and strike up conversation about what you're collecting and what games you play.

Also, I'll happily go in there with my missus if I'm strolling by and need something, which I can't say about all GW stores.

Uncle Nurgle
18-03-2011, 23:51
I don't want to be harsh, but personally not a huge fan of the Angel store, i find the manager a little false, I mean that's just my opinion, but I've been in there a couple of time and never enjoyed it to be honest.

To be honest actually, apart from the croyden, romford and bromley stores (which i've never been to) and obviously the angel store, I've found all the London stores good.

What are you looking to get from the stores? Gaming spaces? Friendly games? Tournament Games etc. As each store has it's own identity and from what I've seen/heard they all tend to cater to some things and not others.

Edit'

Just read that and wow how many times did i say 'to be honest'

Alairan
18-03-2011, 23:52
Well, sounds like I've atleast got a few nice options available to me, even if this hasn't narrowed it down much :D

Santiaghoul
19-03-2011, 02:42
Whichever store it is that Tom Harland is the manager of is the best! At least, as a friend and former co-worker in the US, that is what I think. :)

DarkMark
19-03-2011, 14:09
If you drive St.Albans may be worth checking out, and fairly close.

ThousandPlateaus
19-03-2011, 15:43
Personal opinions:
-Brent Cross is probably your closest, but is no more than a big creche for local kids whilst their Mums walk round the shopping centre;
-the Plaza is a decent size and has a lot of stock, painting and gaming tables if you want that kind of thing, but I've found the staff really pushy. I once spent ages being followed by some guy (a staff member) telling me how his Dad has broken his arm;
-Covent Garden is great if you want to be treated like an adult and have a bit of a chit-chat about this and that, it's a very small store, though, so stock is limited. That said, it's my favourite GW in London as the staff are great;
-Dark Sphere is cheap and well stocked but is a nightmare of store: I've never known anywhere so disorganised and chaotic in my life, how they manage to stay in business is beyond me. It's usually full of people playing Magic or something, too, and the staff can be a bit odd sometimes.

shelfunit.
19-03-2011, 16:07
-Covent Garden is great if you want to be treated like an adult and have a bit of a chit-chat about this and that, it's a very small store, though, so stock is limited. That said, it's my favourite GW in London as the staff are great;
-Dark Sphere is cheap and well stocked but is a nightmare of store: I've never known anywhere so disorganised and chaotic in my life, how they manage to stay in business is beyond me. It's usually full of people playing Magic or something, too, and the staff can be a bit odd sometimes.

Not sure if the same guy is working there (covent garden), but if so it's one of the better GWs fullstop. I was never badgered once there and had a great chat to the guy that was there - you also have the benefit of decent classical music from outside ;)
Darkshere is without doubt the cheapest place to get GW products (at least 20% off instore - more from the web) anywhere in the country. The owner is also very pleasent to talk to, I think they have recently moved shops so the whole outfit is larger than the average GW as well. They also stock many other miniature ranges.

Alairan
19-03-2011, 16:32
Well, sounds like I'll probably be stopping by Covent Garden first of all. Perhaps check out this Darksphere place when I need to do major buying. Thanks for all the recomendations :D

shelfunit.
19-03-2011, 16:53
Well, sounds like I'll probably be stopping by Covent Garden first of all. Perhaps check out this Darksphere place when I need to do major buying. Thanks for all the recomendations :D

It's a nice (if slightly long) walk through central London - pick a sunny day and it'll be fantastic ;)

Alairan
19-03-2011, 18:16
It's a nice (if slightly long) walk through central London - pick a sunny day and it'll be fantastic ;)

Ah, I'll probably just couple it with a general london trip. Enjoy the day. :D

DarkMark
19-03-2011, 19:12
Couple it with a few jars on the balcony in Punch&Judys, and you'll have a tops day.

Uncle Nurgle
21-03-2011, 00:14
Not sure if the same guy is working there (covent garden), but if so it's one of the better GWs fullstop. I was never badgered once there and had a great chat to the guy that was there - you also have the benefit of decent classical music from outside ;)
Darkshere is without doubt the cheapest place to get GW products (at least 20% off instore - more from the web) anywhere in the country. The owner is also very pleasent to talk to, I think they have recently moved shops so the whole outfit is larger than the average GW as well. They also stock many other miniature ranges.

Can you describe the guy as I can probably tell you if he's still there

sigur
21-03-2011, 03:05
I've only been to Oxford Street and the Kensington one if I remember correctly and while both were very nice places, I preferred the one at Kensington High Street because it doesn't have this full glass front. Perfect for sitting down and painting.

shelfunit.
21-03-2011, 08:59
Can you describe the guy as I can probably tell you if he's still there

Errrrr. It was about 3ish years ago... but.. I thnk he was shortish - mid-30's - short dark hair - slightly overweight, but not fat - "Official GW" Loud, but not obnoxious, like the usual GW staff "Loudness"- and I think he wore a black, rather than red shirt (if that makes sense). He also talked faster than anyone I have ever met. I think he might have worn glasses as well.

Uncle Nurgle
21-03-2011, 18:36
Well he's not there anymore, but the current manager David is awesome, always very cool and helpful, he actually manager to get my girlfriend into understanding the hobby just by talking about why he loved the Blood Angels. If you go in there he's the tall black guy in the manager shirt.

shelfunit.
21-03-2011, 18:45
He didn't work at Hammersmith for a while did he?