PDA

View Full Version : Special Character spam...

Born Again
19-03-2011, 02:53
So while pondering army lists, I realized that it's possible for an ork army to include up to FIVE (5!) special characters at once! 2 HQ's, plus Snikrot, Zagstruck and Badrukk. So the question occurs, is any other army able to field as many, or more than this in a standard FOC? Or if not, what nasty tactics can you come up with by combining special characters? For orks, I've heard of people using Snikrot to sneak Ghazghkull into the enemies rear or flanks.

althathir
19-03-2011, 03:08
Space wolves can do 6

hqs. Logan, Ragnar, Ulrik, Njal

wolfguard arjac

blood claws lucas

granted thats almost 1300 points for six models

Mini77
19-03-2011, 03:08
Blood Angels can do 4 - 2 HQ plus Corbulo and Lemartes. Talking of Blood Angel spam - 17 Land Raiders in one FOC as well.

htmlord
19-03-2011, 03:11
Good Lord! What is that, 4k points for the Raiders alone?

Mini77
19-03-2011, 03:20
Good Lord! What is that, 4k points for the Raiders alone?

Something like that. You'd need around 5500 points minimum to make a legal force with it.

Nurgling Chieftain
19-03-2011, 03:30
Small potatoes. Imperial Guard can field a whopping 11 special characters all in a single FOC.

HQ
2 of: Creed, Strakken, Yarrick
Kell
Nork

Elite
Marbo

Troops
Platoon: Al Rahem, Chenkov
Veteran: Harker, Bastonne

Fast Attack
Mogul Kamir

Heavy Support
Pask

Charistoph
19-03-2011, 04:12
On the opposite side of the coin, there is Tau who has 1 SC people may want to take, 1 SC that someone may take as an experiment, but rarely seriously, and 1 SC that will never be taken.

Firmlog
19-03-2011, 04:19
Necrons only get 2, and only the deceiver is worth taking. Technically they don't even have an entry to take them either.

Draconis
19-03-2011, 04:47
How can you have 2 of Yarrick in an IG army? Aren't they unique?

Mini77
19-03-2011, 04:51
How can you have 2 of Yarrick in an IG army? Aren't they unique?

2 of: Creed, Strakken, Yarrick. He means take any 2 of the 3.

Born Again
19-03-2011, 06:01
Space wolves can do 6

hqs. Logan, Ragnar, Ulrik, Njal

wolfguard arjac

blood claws lucas

granted thats almost 1300 points for six models

I haven't read all of the SW book, what's the rule allowing them to field 4 HQ's? Seems rather nasty, though the points makes it rather prohibitive. The Ork combo I was suggesting comes in at around 600 minimum for 5 models, and I thought that was bad :eek:

Charistoph
19-03-2011, 06:23
Necrons only get 2, and only the deceiver is worth taking. Technically they don't even have an entry to take them either.

I'll trade you Nightbringer for Aun'va and Shadowsun.

I haven't read all of the SW book, what's the rule allowing them to field 4 HQ's? Seems rather nasty, though the points makes it rather prohibitive. The Ork combo I was suggesting comes in at around 600 minimum for 5 models, and I thought that was bad :eek:

It's in the FOC area, Space Wolves may take 2 Characters for every HQ spot. So normal FOC sees up to 4 HQ, Planestrike can see 6.

Necromion
19-03-2011, 07:26
unfortuanatly Necrons can only take 1 special character (2 are available however, only one can be taken) although even if you could take both thats 660 points. kind of hurts point wise for 2 models, for 45 points more i could take 3 monoliths (better IMO but anyways)

Cain1001
19-03-2011, 07:31
I'll trade you Nightbringer for Aun'va and Shadowsun.

What in the hell's angels are you talking about? You would give up Shadowsun AND Aun'Va for the Nightbringer?

Obviously you meant = Aun'Va + Shadowsun + Farsight + Skyray + Vespid squad + a Kroot Shaper for Nightbringer...........right?

nagash42
19-03-2011, 07:39
but the vespids have marine killing guns? *ducks*

Charistoph
19-03-2011, 07:52
What in the hell's angels are you talking about? You would give up Shadowsun AND Aun'Va for the Nightbringer?

Obviously you meant = Aun'Va + Shadowsun + Farsight + Skyray + Vespid squad + a Kroot Shaper for Nightbringer...........right?

True, but I was starting my bidding low and not trying to say how much I'd give up. It's called haggling.

The Marshel
19-03-2011, 08:45
yeah, try to hold on to at least the skyray and the vespids, you might be able to get those autocannon leman russ tanks for them

LonelyPath
19-03-2011, 13:45
The Exterminator? Never! I'd maybe trade the Punisher though, heheh ;)

althathir
19-03-2011, 18:53

2 per hq slot, honestly besides spamming rune priests people rarely use all of them though, and honestly I don't think it would be very good.

Born Again
20-03-2011, 05:54
^ It would seem to be a bad idea in Kill Point missions to have 4 KP's tied up in only 4 models.

20-03-2011, 06:47
Snikrot's not a bad sergeant upgrade, but you're only taking him along for the ability to come in off any board side. Rerolling to hit is nice, but the inability to penetrate armor means that against anything armored, he's significantly worse than a normal nob.

Zagz is absolutely worse than nothing. Okay, you get to do a deep strike into assault! Except you've got absolutely no way to reduce scatter, you've got to hit within 6" to pull it off, which means you've got a pretty good chance of scattering onto your target (whoops, mishap) or too far away (whoops, small expensive clumped unit of orks in the open field...) On top of that, his lousy part-time power klaw only works on the charge. Overall you're better off just foot-slogging (they ARE jump infantry) and taking a regular nob for cheaper.

And then there's Badrukk. Actually not a terrible character! But the unit he gets attached to just costs too much in the first place. If they were a source of reliable AP2 fire, then maybe they'd be worth the points. But Flash Gitz can't shoot worth a damn, and they don't have the volume of fire needed to make up for it like shootas or lootas. He's not awesome enough to make taking Flash Gitz a winning proposition, unless your opponent is just fielding that many terminators.