PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Army not my usual ;)

Malchek
26-03-2006, 23:00
Hi everyone,

My current Chaos army has lots of troops and I usually go character and magic light - fancying a change I've devised a new list heavy on characters, magic and monsters.

With the help of a couple of guys on warseer I've come up with this army and have tweaked it a bit.

Tell me what u think - what should I change and how u reckon it will work.

Cheers in advance

Malchek ;)

1 x Lord of Chaos. Lord of Tzeentch, - Halberd, sheild, Gaze of the Gods, Disc of Tzeentch.

1 x Exalted Champion - Shield, Rending sword, Chaos Barded steed,

5 x Knights of Chaos, Standard, Musician, Chosen,

15 x Warriors of Chaos, - Halberds, Shields, Full command, Chosen,

20 x Marauders of Chaos - Light armour, shields, full command,

8 x Gors - additional hand weapons 10 x ungors spears, full command,

4 x minotaurs - great weapons

1 x dragon ogre shaggoth, light armour, great weapon,

I made a list of everythin I wanted and it came in 101 pts over so I've had to make a few sacrifices - power familiar for my Lord, a chaos warrior, a champion for my knights (they'll be joined by my exalted champ anyway) and a couple of ungors.

The things that don't sit too well with me are the facts that I should really have at least 1 dispel scroll, on a disc my lord counts as a large target for LOS purposes (= everyones gonna be shooting at him!? But then if I stick him on a steed he's still gonna be eligible to shoot at around my inf blocks and on foot he's nowhere near manouverable enough) the warriors could use another buddy and those 2 ungors would have come in handy. And I have no light cav...

Tell me your thoughts and suggestions noting what u think I should cut to make way for any additions.

Thanks in advance

Malchek ;)

MarcoPollo
26-03-2006, 23:19
Those minotaurs need to be Tzeetch marked right. 4 knights of chaos, chosen will do. Shagoth is not a great choice, it is overpriced in terms of points and there really is only one good option with a shagoth is the slaanesh lord. It can't fly and for all its points, a giant will do much nicer.

What about some screemers of tzeetch to help with the movement. Perhaps one less minotaur will help with finding some of those points.

The rending sword is nice but a 40pts it is a matter of opinion. Personally for me, a great weapon is good enough for my characters.

Halberds and shields is a good choice on your chosen. But chosen are ridiculously expensive. Think of all the points wasted on two non-fighting ranks. BTW try to bump up your marauders to 24.

Just my $0.02

Malchek
27-03-2006, 00:51
hi thanks for replying

i dont think i need another power dice - if i did i'd take a power familiar and get the additional dispel dice too.

The chaos knights need to be 5 strong for a look out sir test fot the exalted champ joining them.

Screamers - I hear what u say - they'd fill the light cav role perfectly but I hate the models - same with a giant i'm afraid ;) But the shaggoth model I like and I reckon he's pretty handy!

The chosen warriors are a must and the rending sword I'm still open to persuasion on - its my favourite for taking out enemy characters + multi-wound enemies but that doesn't mean u meet them all that often...

I would like to fit a light cav role unit in - the only problem is not liking half the models - im bored of fllesh hounds and marauder light cav die all too easily on me.

I'm tempted by furies but their leadership puts me off...

Food for thought though - sorry I know I'm fickle but the whole point of this list is to get a bit more into the monsters and characters and part of that is taking units cos u like them rather than what is the most effective ;)

MarcoPollo
27-03-2006, 02:54
The minotaurs need to be mark of Tzeetch if the General is mark of Tzeetch. Read the manual to find this out. It is not like they can be undivided. They must be mark of Tzeetch.

What about warhounds? A big unit of those can be pretty good.

Why are the chosen wariors a must? Are they undivided too?

As for characters, I think exalted champions are still the best way to go. Cheap, effective, and you won't be affraid to throw him into battle.

Personally for me, I never will take a Chaos lord. They are too many points for the extra stuff you get. Downgrade him to exalted and use the extra 140 pts to fill out your other roles.

What unit has the mark of Tzeetch. Atleast one unit must. I'd say, put on a unit of screemers or use the mark that you have to take on the minotaurs.

Neknoh
27-03-2006, 03:29
Simple, warbanner on the Warriors and an Eye instead of a Gaze on the Lord and you should be set.

Malchek
27-03-2006, 10:19
The minotaurs need to be mark of Tzeetch if the General is mark of Tzeetch. Read the manual to find this out. It is not like they can be undivided. They must be mark of Tzeetch.

What about warhounds? A big unit of those can be pretty good.

Why are the chosen wariors a must? Are they undivided too?

As for characters, I think exalted champions are still the best way to go. Cheap, effective, and you won't be affraid to throw him into battle.

Personally for me, I never will take a Chaos lord. They are too many points for the extra stuff you get. Downgrade him to exalted and use the extra 140 pts to fill out your other roles.

What unit has the mark of Tzeetch. Atleast one unit must. I'd say, put on a unit of screemers or use the mark that you have to take on the minotaurs.

I'm afraid your wrong - the dex states they MAY be given the same mark as the general not that they have to - and if your general has a mark he can have all undivided units - he doesn't have to have a unit the same mark as him - that's only if he has another character with a different mark in the army which he doesn't - the army is perfectly legal.

Chosen warriors are a must because they are so damn good - i never leave home without them ;)

Warhounds are ok but they're just another big block - not light cav so don't fulfil that role well - they'd simply mirror the abilities of my marauders and beastmen...

One unit doesn't have to have the mark of Tzeentch

marauders dont have any mark - same with the minotaurs if u don't take one.

Malchek
27-03-2006, 10:25
Simple, warbanner on the Warriors and an Eye instead of a Gaze on the Lord and you should be set.

Hello mentor ;)

Right, my thinking about the gaze was that its multi-functional - i get the ward against both missile attacks and when in cc - whereas with eye it is admittedly one better ward but u only get it against missile - they're both the same pts cost - but then theoretically my general wont be dashing into combat that often - although personally I don't think I'm going to be too hesitant to do that because he's gonna be able to take out most enemies he meets...?

As for banners I had a good look through - which one do u suggest and where do u think I could get the points from - magic missile banners I'm not interested in - that's what I've paid so many pts for my general for - I also agree blasted standard would be cool for this unit but i gotta pay an additional 70 pts for the privelege which I can't find from this list!!! Help!!! ;)

Pravus
27-03-2006, 10:26
Actually, Minotaurs can have the same mark as the general or none at all i.e. with a Tzeentch geenral they can have Tzeentch or none, but not Undivided.

Malchek
27-03-2006, 10:41
exactly ;)

The Thnikkaman
27-03-2006, 12:06
Rending sword is very good in challenging unit champions... nothing like +6 combat res from wounding and overkill, not to mention the attacks from the rest of the knights.

It's interesting to see a lord of tzeentch but no marks of tzeentch on any units! Currently you have just the one level 4 wizard, so 6 power dice. No dispel scrolls either! Your magic phase against most armies will be uneventful for you and essentially free reign for them. 4 dispel dice a turn isnt much...

the army also doesnt have any way to deal with artillery quickly, and believe me, those knights will drop very quickly... if you dont like the models for screamers or harpies or whatever, convert them or make your own! I personally find screamers invaluable.

Chosen chaos warriors on foot are not worth it... over 20 points a model?! better to drop their chosen status and beef up your infantry units.

But yeah, i can see this army getting either pounded by shooting or magic and it not being able to do a whole lot about it except march as fast as it can.

Just a thought (or two).

Malchek
27-03-2006, 12:47
Rending sword is very good in challenging unit champions... nothing like +6 combat res from wounding and overkill, not to mention the attacks from the rest of the knights.

It's interesting to see a lord of tzeentch but no marks of tzeentch on any units! Currently you have just the one level 4 wizard, so 6 power dice. No dispel scrolls either! Your magic phase against most armies will be uneventful for you and essentially free reign for them. 4 dispel dice a turn isnt much...

the army also doesnt have any way to deal with artillery quickly, and believe me, those knights will drop very quickly... if you dont like the models for screamers or harpies or whatever, convert them or make your own! I personally find screamers invaluable.

Chosen chaos warriors on foot are not worth it... over 20 points a model?! better to drop their chosen status and beef up your infantry units.

But yeah, i can see this army getting either pounded by shooting or magic and it not being able to do a whole lot about it except march as fast as it can.

Just a thought (or two).

Do you really think a lvl 4 sorcerer - we're talking 6 power dice and 4 dispel dice isn't going to stand up to other army's magic phase...? The other option for me would be to have a lvl 1 sorcerer with 2 dispel scrolls and a grand total of 3 dispel dice - ok magic defence but no potential to give them anything to worry about.

What combo could someone else face me with which is a great risk...? 2 lvl 2's...? = 4 dispel dice 6 power dice - totally mirroring my own so I'm at least on par and then they'll probably be carrying some dispel scrolls - fine no problem. I don't see what the big deal is about this guy is all the magic attack I could want and a pretty decent defence - dispel scrolls would be nice but u don't have to its not the end of the world.

People always make alot of cannons etc but in my experience they're not all that bad - sometimes they get lucky sometimes they blow up or miss completely all game... if they shoot my knights I still have plenty to fall back on - that's the problem you see you can't cover all eventualities - you have to balance and this is a balanced army the only problem being the lack of light cav and a dispel scroll but so what its not the end of the world if im missing either

MarcoPollo
27-03-2006, 14:51
Still an illegal list if no unit has a mark of Tzeetch. You can't have a character with that mark unless you have a unit with that mark. What unit has the mark of Tzeetch?

ROCKY
27-03-2006, 15:17
Do you really think a lvl 4 sorcerer - we're talking 6 power dice and 4 dispel dice isn't going to stand up to other army's magic phase...? The other option for me would be to have a lvl 1 sorcerer with 2 dispel scrolls and a grand total of 3 dispel dice - ok magic defence but no potential to give them anything to worry about.

What combo could someone else face me with which is a great risk...? 2 lvl 2's...? = 4 dispel dice 6 power dice - totally mirroring my own so I'm at least on par and then they'll probably be carrying some dispel scrolls - fine no problem. I don't see what the big deal is about this guy is all the magic attack I could want and a pretty decent defence - dispel scrolls would be nice but u don't have to its not the end of the world.

People always make alot of cannons etc but in my experience they're not all that bad - sometimes they get lucky sometimes they blow up or miss completely all game... if they shoot my knights I still have plenty to fall back on - that's the problem you see you can't cover all eventualities - you have to balance and this is a balanced army the only problem being the lack of light cav and a dispel scroll but so what its not the end of the world if im missing either
I would like to point out that 6powerdice is nothing to be proud of in sorcerry. I have seen people brin four mages (one being a level 4) and or other combinations that allows them to have 12-15easy. As for dispelling, He can keep you at aby for two turns easy with only 2dispel scrolls, which mean most likely if your wizard is by himself (especially on a disc) will be a target. And as others have mentioned, you cannot have a mark on characters unless you have at least one unit with the same mark. If you plan on using tzeentch, then merely give any of your chariot, knights, and warrior units the mark (only 20points) then you can rack up amazing amounts of powerdice.

Malchek
27-03-2006, 16:10
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A UNIT WITH THE SAME MARK AS YOUR GENERAL!!!!

If you General has a mark you may only take units of the same mark, chaos undivided or with no mark - get your facts straight guys its rather clear in the dex!!!

As for people taking 4 mages then hell yes I won't be able to handle that - just as if they take Khorne!? Who can stand up to that!? But then they won't be able to stand up to my cc abilities!?

Neknoh
28-03-2006, 03:48
Erm... Khorne most certainly will malchek :p

And I have to repeat what you just said, you do NOT have to have the mark of your general anywhere near the army unless you want to.

Thoguh on the topic of the Lord, you are forgetting that the Gaze doesn't protect his Disc, a single cannon will be able to take it out in a round of shooting, leaving your Lord stranded in a very awkward position, THAT is the reason the Eye will work better, also, you go from taking 1/2 of the shots to making 2/3rds of the shots.

Malchek
28-03-2006, 10:50
Erm... Khorne most certainly will malchek :p

And I have to repeat what you just said, you do NOT have to have the mark of your general anywhere near the army unless you want to.

Thoguh on the topic of the Lord, you are forgetting that the Gaze doesn't protect his Disc, a single cannon will be able to take it out in a round of shooting, leaving your Lord stranded in a very awkward position, THAT is the reason the Eye will work better, also, you go from taking 1/2 of the shots to making 2/3rds of the shots.

What I'm saying Neknoh is that if they take Khorne they will have so many dispel dice that I won't get anything through anyway just as if they max out on magic to the detriment of everything else.

If you're running with 4 mages it doesn't leave a hell of a lot of room for anything else.

Still the Lords gone to be replaced by 2 exalted champs, more power dice and 2 dispel scrolls check out the other thread ' by hell i think ive got it ;)