PDA

View Full Version : When did this become policy?

BigRob
19-03-2011, 16:54
Hello

Just popped into the local GW for a good browse of the Grey Knights to see what all the hype is about. The models are very nice but your not allowed to look at the preview armybook until you pay for an advance order of it.

So you can't have a look until they have your money in advance (until it comes out, not sure when that is).

Normally whenever a new book comes in store, there is mass excitement gained by showing it round and people reach into their wallets for the pre-orders with great talk about how great "insert new thing" is.

Is this the policy now, when something comes instore before release you can only look after you preorder?

IJW
19-03-2011, 17:09
I think it depends on the shop manager, but some shops have have done it like that for years now.

Scammel
19-03-2011, 17:11
Sounds like a local issue of a berk store manager. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have universal rights as a customer to actually see/inspect a product before you purchase it?

Olith
19-03-2011, 18:10
Sounds like a local issue of a berk store manager. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have universal rights as a customer to actually see/inspect a product before you purchase it?

Companies are allowed to do pre-orders and you are allowed to return the product.

Londinium
19-03-2011, 19:29

Yup which is why you have rights to send back anything you purchase online within 28 days for whatever reason, not just for defects or based upon store policy.

Mannimarco
19-03-2011, 19:34
Its a local thing, my local GW has the black box set up near the intro game table so folks can come along and ogle the book, the new terminator and dreadknight sprues.

Nobody has been pressured for an advance order.

marv335
19-03-2011, 19:43
My local shop was doing something similar.
You could have a look without trouble, but if you did a pre-order, you could sit down with the codex and make an army list.

IAMNOTHERE
19-03-2011, 19:58
Salisbury's the same - didn't have aproblem as I just told them I'd ordered it online, which I have.

asphodel
19-03-2011, 20:15
No such issues at my LGS, they just let you peruse it for as long as you like, unless there's a line-up...

Jo Bennett
19-03-2011, 21:58
Yup which is why you have rights to send back anything you purchase online within 28 days for whatever reason, not just for defects or based upon store policy.

7 days, if memory serves.

Aedes
19-03-2011, 22:03
:wtf:
This is just nuts.
I never had that problem so far, in none of the GW and independent stored I visited in Germany, NZ and Australia.

xxRavenxx
20-03-2011, 00:13
In my store, if you ask about greyknights before April 2nd, a man in a suit and sunglasses jumps you with chloroform, and you vanish forever.

True story.

BigRob
20-03-2011, 00:45
Salisbury's the same - didn't have aproblem as I just told them I'd ordered it online, which I have.

Thats the store I am on about :)

IAMNOTHERE
20-03-2011, 08:58
Nice to meet you mate let me know if you fancy a game sometime :)

This is the first time it's happened and I actually think it's to do with the release. Everything about the GK release has been super hush hush even down to pics of the models, this is just another way of keeping people off intrigued.

It didn't happen with the O&G only a few weeks before so I doubt it's policy.

I said I'd pre-ordered it online, I didn't tell them it was from Wayland games :)

chunk
20-03-2011, 19:30
They're not doing that at my local GW. But that might be because a staff member left it out and it got stolen...

So at least you have one to look at!

BobtheInquisitor
21-03-2011, 07:18
My local shop was doing something similar.
You could have a look without trouble, but if you did a pre-order, you could sit down with the codex and make an army list.

That's what they're doing at my local Battle Bunker. I got to flip through the book for a while, but the guy after me pulled out a pad of paper and a pencil and suddenly the staff swarmed him screeching "Pre-order first! Pre-order first!" I think it's a pretty reasonable precaution.

New Cult King
21-03-2011, 08:00
When I bought my motorcycle, a Triumph Rocket, one store wouldn't let you test-ride it until you had put down a $2,000 deposit...

BigRob
21-03-2011, 11:03
That's what they're doing at my local Battle Bunker. I got to flip through the book for a while, but the guy after me pulled out a pad of paper and a pencil and suddenly the staff swarmed him screeching "Pre-order first! Pre-order first!" I think it's a pretty reasonable precaution.

When I bought my motorcycle, a Triumph Rocket, one store wouldn't let you test-ride it until you had put down a $2,000 deposit...

See I can understand that Bob, that is IMO taking the mickey, but Salisbury wont even let you look without pre-ordering.

NCK, I could understand that as long as the deposit was refundable if you decided not to buy it.

cyphertheory
21-03-2011, 12:19
same thing happened at GW Bromley with the orc and goblin book. the same day on the website it said to head down to the store for a look. I was very unimpressed, and made that very well known to the store manager and anyone else in the store certainly overheard me. petrol is pushing 1.35 a litre and I drove there for that specific reason.

a stupid stupid stupid policy and is 100% the last time I ever went and will go into a GW store. I can hand on heart say that this one event was the straw that broke the camels back with my 17 relationship with Games Workshop.

blongbling
21-03-2011, 16:44
See I can understand that Bob, that is IMO taking the mickey, but Salisbury wont even let you look without pre-ordering.

NCK, I could understand that as long as the deposit was refundable if you decided not to buy it.

just preorder it then, do you need to pay in advance? read it the cancel the preorder...hopefully the manager will realise that the amount of effort involved isnt worth it and let you read it

Gaz Taylor
21-03-2011, 16:52

Just say you've already pre-ordered it from Mail Order.

This isn't an offical policy but rather what some of the store staff try and do to help sales. It's a bit silly too be honest but it really depends on the staff.

TMATK
21-03-2011, 18:04
Just tell them this book leaked on to the internet at least a month ago, so they might as well let you have a look ;)

Achaylus72
21-03-2011, 18:07
It depends from store to store, the one i used to go to allowed me to look at it before its official release.

JackDaw
24-03-2011, 14:02
Interestingly, I emailed GW HQ with some feedback about this very matter in my local store yesterday - had a very positive response and chat with the new regional manager who apologised and confirmed that this is definitely NOT a GW policy and that he would be picking it up with the store as its not the way things should be done.

So it seems like a few isolated stores are being...well, lets be nice and say 'cheeky' about taking a look/pre-ordering and that its not the way GW wants it to be done.

Nice to get a positive response from GW management though and to hear that decent service is still important to at least some in the company.

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 18:38
Never had this problem whenever I've wanted to look through anything pre-order in a store.

@ JackDaw - good to hear they're taking it up wit hthe store to solve the problem.

razormasticator
24-03-2011, 18:42
Its a local thing, my local GW has the black box set up near the intro game table so folks can come along and ogle the book, the new terminator and dreadknight sprues.

Nobody has been pressured for an advance order.

Same here, you could look and pre-order. Had a display copy etc.

rattman
25-03-2011, 04:36
Apparently the you cant look at it till you pre order is the recommended policy for the australian sales reps.

A LGS owner told me when the sales rep recommended it he " are you ***** retarded". Sales rep got upset.

eyescrossed
25-03-2011, 06:53
A LGS owner told me when the sales rep recommended it he " are you ***** retarded". Sales rep got upset.

If this makes sense I'll my hat.

:p

someone2040
25-03-2011, 07:51
Apparently the you cant look at it till you pre order is the recommended policy for the australian sales reps.
Possibly. Around the time 8th edition was coming up, I think they had the rulebook there around 2 months prior to release. They were a bit hush hush and stuff like that, only letting you look at a single page or stuff like that. But a week or so later, they were letting people read the book.

Not being able to look at the book is pretty stupid anyway. The whole point of having the book there early is to generate interest in the new army by being able to look at the cool new rules, units, etc. If you can't look at it, well... may as well just look at the pretty picture of the cover on the website.

Poseidal
25-03-2011, 12:03
They're probably genuinely afraid that people looking at the book will be put off and not order it, and people are more coy about cancelling pre-orders.