PDA

View Full Version : Motivation......ive lost ALL of mine!

Nasha
19-03-2011, 17:22
Hej
havent been on here in awhile....real life has been busy recently and ive basically left all of my 40K and INQ stuff untouched for months now....i really badly wanna get some done but everytime i sit down i get bored within 2 minutes and go do something else instead....my main problem is that since my friend moved to the north of Sweden a lil while ago ive got noone to game against....and i really CBA to paint for no reason....i like gaming...thats one of the better aspects (after the background obviously) but having no one to play against really sucks....me and my dad play INQ together but as hes working in the Uk alot we dont have any time at all.....also im restoring my 1983 mk1 golf gti and modding my Bora so money is tight....GW prices are ridiculous....i have Space Marines, Blood Angels, Orks, Chaos Marines and Imperial Guard models all sat there waiting to be made and painted....i just cant seem to get motivated......

anyone got any help tips or anything that could help me out?

Kerby

totgeboren
19-03-2011, 18:35
An obvious solution is finding new people to play against. Depending on where you live, finding clubs, or just people who play shouldn't be a big problem. If you have a store nearby that sells stuff, you could ask someone who works there is there are any gamers club around, or if you could put up a note, like "Hey, I have a bunch of plastic figure that I want to game with, anyone else in a similar situation? Call this number!"

Lord Gabranth
19-03-2011, 18:36
I took me almost two years to get motivated to play again. Money for me was tight right after my son was born so that stopped my habit for a good long while. But the one thing that helped me get back into the modeling was terrain pieces. They are cheap to make from scratch and you can take a while thinking about what to do and how you want it to look when your models are sitting on it. It helped me and I hope that it can help you too.

Another thing you can do is try to find a local game shop that might have 40k players there, or people that may like to be introduced to the game. Thats how I got involved in the game

chromedog
19-03-2011, 18:36
Pick one hobby and focus on it.
You seem overstretched at the moment.

Find a club?
Do you have a store that you bought stuff from?
Did you try looking on the GW site to find a club?
Any other forums with a clubfinder?

PatrikW
19-03-2011, 18:48
Where in Sweden are you located? Plenty of clubs all over the place. Take a look at http://www.svenska40k.se/ and someone can point you to the nearest one.

Jack of Blades
19-03-2011, 18:50
my friend moved to the north of Sweden

Why would he move to Northern Nowhere, Frigid Wasteland Edition :confused: unless you meant that he moved from Scania to Gothenburg/Stockholm or something.

chamelion 6
19-03-2011, 18:53
I took me almost two years to get motivated to play again. Money for me was tight right after my son was born so that stopped my habit for a good long while. But the one thing that helped me get back into the modeling was terrain pieces. They are cheap to make from scratch and you can take a while thinking about what to do and how you want it to look when your models are sitting on it. It helped me and I hope that it can help you too.

Another thing you can do is try to find a local game shop that might have 40k players there, or people that may like to be introduced to the game. Thats how I got involved in the game

Guys with lots of great terrain always seem to attract people to play against.

I think this is a great idea.

Lord Gabranth
19-03-2011, 19:09
Guys with lots of great terrain always seem to attract people to play against.

I think this is a great idea.

I wouldnt call it great terrain but its a start for inspiration.... well it was for me atleast. I did a chaos terrain piece and now Im doing an IG army, dont ask how one lead to another but thats how it worked

orkz222
19-03-2011, 19:12
Search for a gaming club 1st, join them and play there. If you cant find any try getting your friends to start 40k also and setup your own small gaming club.

If all the above not possible, I would suggest selling some of your stuffs... not all, keep the ones you really like and take a break from the hobby. You may or may not come back to the hobby after the break, but if you come back you will be more motivated than ever.

Lord Gabranth
19-03-2011, 19:15
If all the above not possible, I would suggest selling some of your stuffs... not all, keep the ones you really like and take a break from the hobby. You may or may not come back to the hobby after the break, but if you come back you will be more motivated than ever.

I also did this. Thats why Im starting an IG army instead of just having to add too my CSM and SM

Nasha
20-03-2011, 13:42
Well he moved from Borlange to Lulea....which is like 9 hour drive....his father got a new job and managed to get him one too so off they went....
Im located in Borlange, Dalarna, and ive heard of tournaments etc goin on in Sweden...but the main problem is not being able to speak Swedish....its a damn hard language haha

yeah i probably am overstretched when it comes to hobbies...i also sing in a band and we play at local clubs etc....so most of my time goes into working, jamming, or working under my motors.....which leaves little time for Warhammer....but i still really enjoy it.

The nearest GW is around 4 hours away.....in stockholm....and my nearest store is in Avesta....45 minutes away....which sucks big time

thanks for your input though guys...

kerby

Jack of Blades
20-03-2011, 13:43
Well he moved from Borlange to Lulea....which is like 9 hour drive....his father got a new job and managed to get him one too so off they went....
Im located in Borlange, Dalarna, and ive heard of tournaments etc goin on in Sweden...but the main problem is not being able to speak Swedish....its a damn hard language haha

yeah i probably am overstretched when it comes to hobbies...i also sing in a band and we play at local clubs etc....so most of my time goes into working, jamming, or working under my motors.....which leaves little time for Warhammer....but i still really enjoy it.

The nearest GW is around 4 hours away.....in stockholm....and my nearest store is in Avesta....45 minutes away....which sucks big time

thanks for your input though guys...

kerby

In short, both Borlänge and Luleå suck - move to Stockholm ;). I've been to Gothenburg and it was a ghost city compared to Stockholm, Malmö can't be any better and that's probably not on your list either. I have a cousin who lived in Falun, now he lives here. You'll get used to it too. Just pick a good spot like Nacka where I live, you don't wanna live in the city... even I think that sucks. But living out here by the sea with nature all around you and the city a short distance away is about as good as it gets in Sweden.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
20-03-2011, 17:15
Learning to speak a new language is a lot easier, when you do something you enjoy

Obrimos
20-03-2011, 19:57
You would probably do well downsizing 40k and by that I mean concentrate on only one or two armies. Try to find out which are dearest to you and forget the rest. Collecting an army shouldn't feel like an obligation.
You don't necessarily need to sell them, though it might help.
Right now, I'm selling all my Warhammer Fantasy stuff because it doesn't mean anything to me anymore.

Aedes
20-03-2011, 21:23
Hmm... exactly the same motivation situation here-- havent painted anything sice november.
I am still interested and plan exciting new armies-- but cant make myself paint the things sitting on my shelf!
But I have to say its nothing unusual for me-- I will be motivated for months and paint and create a new army, and then suddenly (most likely because I am overfed) loose interest for another few months.
Trust me, the motivation WILL COME BACK after you did something else for a while.

I would NOT sell your stuff-- at the moment, you might feel that you are over it, but trust me, in a few months, you will want to get back and then be VERY sad if you sold your things.

What to do to get motivation back?
For one, do something different for a while.
And what helps me to come back is maybe I read a cool exciting new Black library book,
or right now I am very excited about the new Dawn of war retribution game.

I also treat myself when painting with listening to the Black library audiodramas.

totgeboren
20-03-2011, 21:29

I have heard that is quite hard to learn, but on the other hand, no GW stuff get translated into Swedish, meaning everyone at a 40k tournament is good enough at English to comprehend the rules in English, and most probably frequent forums like these, meaning they will be fairly good at English. Better than the average swede at least.

And besides, learning languages isn't hard if you hear it a lot, and this is especially true if you are doing something fun while learning it. Like playing games with like-minded people. ;)

Ace Rimmer
20-03-2011, 21:32
I've just found mine again. DE and CWE painting left right and centre while I wait for my house purchase going through :)

Arselskjut
21-03-2011, 02:29

Tournaments are great way to just focus on the hobby, you have to paint, so you paint to get ready for the tournament (I simply speed painted my daemons, without them turning into crap, and it was fun! :D) then play for 2-3 days, then go back enjoy the rest of your hobbies. Just ask the organizers if they can inform you in english after they announce stuff in swedish, or if you find someone that can translate quick for you, it shouldn't be hard to meet some friendly gamers.

If you want to learn languages you have to stop using your english, everybody wants to practice their english, so you'll never have the chance to practice your swedish, remember that.
Go to SFI (Svenska för Invandrare, Swedish for Immigrants) to get a basic knowledge of the language, I think it's a good start.

Just pick a good spot like Nacka where I live, you don't wanna live in the city... even I think that sucks.

LOL, can't agree with that. Walking distance to the city core is sweetness!:cheese::p
But ofc central Stockholm is expensive so Jack of Blades has a good point, why spend ~6000SEK/month on a 1 room apartment in the thick of the city when you can get something bigger for less.

freddieyu
21-03-2011, 03:45
We all get into this rut....oftentimes even...

Which is why having another system to play in is good, so you get variety, and when you come back to 40K you get the zeal back.

Nasha
21-03-2011, 12:14
Well i went to SFI (and its actually Swedish for Invaders hahaha) for around 4 months...and yeah i can get away with the bare minimum...but seing as all immigrants in Dalarna happen to be Somalian....they have to teach them basic english first and then swedish....and it just wasnt workin....i was seein a girl for a few months who helped me out but she went on an exchange thing to Aus...its a difficult language but i manage to get by...i understand alot more than i can speak...and when i work at the clubs (S2 and Borlanche) i dont have any problems.

Back OT, yeah i havent painted anything since just after XCmas when my Sang Guard turned up...and even then i half painted one model and got bored....i find 40k to be lacking in the realsim i get from INQ but i find players for INQ to be non existant (almost) so i guess 40K will have to do for now...as for gettin my friends involved....theyre all more broke than i am and dont understand the whole toy soldier aspect very well.....

kerby

fidesratioque
21-03-2011, 12:40
Relax. Maybe you just need a break and your motivation will come back.

PatrikW
21-03-2011, 14:27
Here are links to 2 tournaments that where held in Borlänge last year, just to show that there are at least players there, so you can try and get in touch whit one of the organisers and they can help you get in touch with a club.

Having people to play with and discus things with does wonder for my motivation al least =)

http://www.svenska40k.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1784
http://svenska40k.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1482

Nasha
21-03-2011, 17:01
tack så mycket kompis :)
these are the sort of things im looking for to be honest....cheers mate

kerby

Azzy
22-03-2011, 03:35

I second this. No point trying to force motivation to come back or you'll just get sick of things even more. It's always good to have a revolving set of projects and hobbies that you can switch between when your interests wax and wane. After focusing on something else for a while, you'll find your motivation pick back up for what you were previously dawdling about.

gorenut
23-03-2011, 19:35

Same advice I would give. No need to force it.. it'll cease to become a hobby. I kind of forced the hobby for my last 3 or so years in the hobby.. I started back in 1998 and this is my first time back on to anything Warhammer related in 4 years. You may just learn, as I have.. that perhaps there are other hobbies out there that you might enjoy. I've since sold all my Warhammer stuff for paintballing equipment and eventually to actual firearms (for target shooting). I randomly got the urge to visit this forum and check out whats going on in the Warhammer world today.

Excessus
23-03-2011, 20:34
my Malmö-sense was tingling, was anyone speaking ill of Malmö? :D

We have a nice little ensemble of players down here from what I know...and the city is awesome! <3

Jack of Blades
23-03-2011, 20:47
my Malmö-sense was tingling, was anyone speaking ill of Malmö? :D

We have a nice little ensemble of players down here from what I know...and the city is awesome! <3

Honestly, I haven't been down there. But I like all places, spice of life and all you know :p

Hopefully it doesn't have such crammed infrastructure as Stockholm. It's really quite ridiculous how overcrowded the infrastructure in the inner city is, which is another good point of living out here on the ''countryside'' of Nacka and I'd guess Malmö as well ;). Can't see what's any good about living in the inner city... I would never want to.

Excessus
23-03-2011, 22:07
yeah, it's nice and spacious, lots of parks! Last time I was in Stockholm the only park I saw was just a few patches of grass on a field of mud... :(

malmö is a fun town, but a bit...special, haha, lots of international flavor! :D