PDA

View Full Version : Champions of Chaos booklet

dragonet111
19-03-2011, 19:42
Hi guys.

In recent (and not that recent too) threads a lot of persons said they want a re-merging of the chaos books. Something similar to Horde of Chaos or even better (IMO) Realm of Chaos.
Such a book will end up being huge, I mean extra huge. Roughly 10 Lords, a dozen heroes, 8/10 core units and probably as many special and rare units even if they reduce the numbers, for instance by making Daemonic Herald a single entry with a single statline and different abilities for each Chaos gods, ...., there will be many entries in the army list, the book will also need fluff for the daemons, beasts and mortal armies and rules to create your Chaos warband add to that pictures, drawings, lore of magics, daemonic gifts and magic items, ..... and of course the mandatory special characters.

So my question is, would like to see a new booklet Champions of Chaos similar to the 5ed book?

Azazyll
19-03-2011, 19:50
This would be great, but I don't see it happening. It seems against the current GW trend to merge army books. It also doesn't seem fiscally effective. Army books drum up a lot of sales - I can't imagine that combining them would produce the same level of interest in all of the miniatures they would have. Many people would still focus on one aspect of the army. I just don't think that the option to include one unit from another list would be a sufficient tradeoff for the immense revenue generated by an army-specific release.

That having been said, I would still love to see a champions of chaos supplement, whether they merge the army books or not. I think there's plenty of room to do non-armybook rules releases, with a few metal minis one the side. Isn't metal less capital intensive to produce anyway? It strikes me that they could do something similar with 40k space marines.

The bearded one
19-03-2011, 19:52
I see people continually say they want the chaos books recombined, but I wouldn't want that. 3 books makes it possible to give each army more variety, more fluff, units, options etc. If you combine the books you basically have a gigantic book ( and people complaining that the armybook is expensive ), but it's still not 1 army, it's 3 armies in 1 book. The 3 different aspects of the chaos armies are quite different from eachother. Don't put all that variety in 1 place. It's too big, unwieldy and gives chaos players far more options than everyone else. If you'd combine chaos why not combine the elves in 1 book, why not combine the humans, why not combine the undead?

3 books is fine, it gives each army more than if they were put together in 1 book. If combined it detracts from them all by throwing them all on a big pile and stirring it into chaos sludge. Also units that are relatively similar in terms of stats or roles will be competing with eachother for the spot, inevitably making some choices "the worse choice" compared to another. For example: Ogres, dragon ogres, trolls, minotaurs. One will be considered worse than the others. I'm guessing ogres will lose out to the others because they're not the fastest ( dragon ogres ) hittiest ( minotaurs ) or mutatiest ( trolls ).

dragonet111
19-03-2011, 19:57
I see people continually say they want the chaos books recombined, but I wouldn't want that. 3 books makes it possible to give each army more variety, more fluff, units, options etc. If you combine the books you basically have a gigantic book ( and people complaining that the armybook is expensive ), but it's still not 1 army, it's 3 armies in 1 book. The 3 different aspects of the chaos armies are quite different from eachother. Don't put all that variety in 1 place. It's too big, unwieldy and gives chaos players far more options than everyone else. If you'd combine chaos why not combine the elves in 1 book, why not combine the humans, why not combine the undead?

3 books is fine, it gives each army more than if they were put together in 1 book.

I think we will have to disagree on that :). My army was way more fun when I could summon a greater daemon and combine my Tzeentch mortal warband with units of daemons.
That's why it's so hard to fine the correct solution, some like me want a return to the 5ed style others like the 3 books.

The bearded one
19-03-2011, 19:58
I added a bit more to my post, elaborating a bit. While small crossovers might be nice, like summoning some daemons, you can't viably combine the 3 armies in one, at least in their current format, combining all 3 would create a ridiculously large armylist. Things would have to be dropped resulting in the inevitable cries of rage. Would it be fair compared to other armies? Dark and high elves are incredibly similar, you can draw many parallels between their lists ( spears-spears, xbows-bows, boltthrowers-boltthrowers, black guard-swordmasters, executtioners-white lions, dragon princes-cold one knights, shades-shadowwarriors ). How about recombining the undead? They used to be in one book too and are very similar, but now they have a distinct character as they developed differently from eachother.

dragonet111
19-03-2011, 20:21
I understand your point and your are right, recombining the armies will be complicated, but I still want to see a re-merging, I started with Realm of Chaos and I prefer the army like that. I think the army was more characterful and funnier to use when you had mortals, beasts and daemons in a single book.

In the end, my first concern is the fun factor and my army was funnier before, at least IMO :)

Urgat
19-03-2011, 20:28
Imho it's to late too recombine. So instead I'd rather have a 4th book with extra units, heroes, some focus on undivided, and rules to combine the three other books. Az guy like be'lakor would make an awesome figurehead for such a book. I still can't quite understand why GW doesn't make expansion books anymore. If they released books that add stuff to existing armies, I'm sure they'd sell well.
I would jump w/o any hesitation on a "Wild Waaagh!" book that would introduce forest goblin warriors, savage orc charriots, savannah chimera mounts, spiderling cocoon lobbers, jungle trolls, dunno, stuff.

The bearded one
19-03-2011, 21:06
New! Armybook: Chaos Undivided
Vanilla chaos has never been cooler!

It could have some cool stuff though: undivided daemon princes, non-marked chaos warriors, beastmen, furies ( undivided daemons ).

kramplarv
19-03-2011, 23:58
undivided chaos is by far the coolest chaotic faction. It is more cool and hardcore with worshippers worshipping CHAOS than worshipping a certain god... :)

And I want to have the armies as in 6th edition, when units could be combined from several books. :)

sulla
20-03-2011, 02:19
To the OP;

Naah, I would much rather see a new Realms of Chaos supertome rather than a champions of chaos book which would probably contain heroes for all 3 branches of chaos and thus be 2/3rds useless for most chaos faction players (who don't play all 3 armies).

If GW were to do a champions of chaos book, I would hope they prioritise it llower than Regiments of Reknown, which at least have models for most of their units and rules that don't need much in the way of tweaking. Both are better suited to white dwarf than an official book IMO though. If only to make that magazine more relevant.