PDA

View Full Version : Fateweaver? Really?

terradax
19-03-2011, 23:18
Ok, now I've read in a lot of posts that Fateweaver is one of the best characters for Daemons, that he is the only thing making Daemons worth playing and so on. What's so good about him?

His stats are lower than a normal Lord of Change (more like a weak prince), He is very expensive, His special ability has a VERY short range, meaning that he will have to be in the frontline, making him a vurnerable target. Speaking of vurnerable target, he is also one Monstrous Creature with Eternal Warrior that CAN be one-shot killed.

So what's the big deal? What am I missing? How do you play him?

eyescrossed
19-03-2011, 23:25
Last time I checked, it was Fateweaver surrounded by lots of Bloodcrushers. Can't remember, though.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
19-03-2011, 23:26
That's why it's called Fatecrusher ;). Though I'm in agreement, I don't think Fateweaver is really that tremendous, he's extremely expensive, has poor stats and his one worthwhile ability is very short range.

eyescrossed
19-03-2011, 23:28
Oh yeah. Right :)

Walls
19-03-2011, 23:42
He's THE best character for daemons. He allows rerolls on ALL saves. That's gigantic with Bloodcrushers 3+/5++ barrelling down on you. Sure he will likely die but it will take lots of firepower and by then he's done his job and the boys are on your lines, chopping things to pieces. Hell, he makes horrors hard to kill.

Draconis
20-03-2011, 00:20
Yep, and plaguebearers as well. He just helps everything you want, wherever you want. Some peeps combine him with a bloodthirster and just wreck things.

Xabraxis
20-03-2011, 00:29
He's a support character that helps with one of Daemon's biggest weakness: Survivability. Yes yes, Plaguebearers. Whatever. If you want to play a non-nurgle army, you need to take Fateweaver.

Vedar
20-03-2011, 01:26
I almost never take Fateweaver anymore. He is pretty good but since the Fatecrusher list became .. the "Fatecrusher" everyone knows about it and it is a bit boring. You place your junk next to him and hope for the best.

You have 2 choices when you play against a fatecrusher list.
1. Ignore FW and go after non protected Daemons. This is hard to do if the Daemon player gets good rolls.

2. Pepper FW with enough high STR shots to make him go away if you have enough firepower. If you only have a few long range Anti tank shots you are in trouble.

I've dropped FW in favor of another Bloodcrusher unit. 5 BC seem more scary to me than FW.

Walls
20-03-2011, 01:46
There are basically 2 "competitive" builds being discussed in the Daemon thread: Fatecrusher and Skarnesh (Skarbrand with super high I slaanesh fiends and such).

It seems heavy tzeentch builds (Chariot and daemon prince shooting platforms) are also getting pretty popular.

Really though, in the end, all Fateweaver is letting you do is get a bit of control in your army you don't normally have..

Oakwolf
20-03-2011, 01:51
Something to remember though is that the aura is 6", so deepstrike sometimes screws the aura for a turn.

But yeah, Fateweaver is the sole responsible for demons being considered ok by certain players. The list (fatecrusher) also has made a few punches in tournaments so one might be inclined to think demons are good.

3+savesarefornoobs
20-03-2011, 02:43
My question is how do I use Fateweaver in an all Tzeentch Army?

I bought one for $50 and now I don't know how to use him since I refuse to use Khorne.

Geep
20-03-2011, 02:59
I've only had one experience with fateweaver and it was damn annoying. I had Necrons, and was playing a small game vs character heavy daemons (Prince, Fateweaver and the Changeling, backed up by Horrors). His daemons were more resistant than my necrons and, coupled with some terrible rolls (Necron lord being spawned, my own destroyer unit shooting and wiping out my heavy destroyers in a single turn) the game was pretty one sided.
I don't think fateweaver is invincible, but he's definitely earned my ire.

3+savesarefornoobs
20-03-2011, 03:15
Anyone have any good ways to use Fateweaver without bloodcrushers?

Flamers? Pink Horrors? Heralds of Tzeentch?

Oakwolf
20-03-2011, 04:04
Fateweaver works well with demons of Tzeentch in general due to their good ward save. Demon princes of Tzeentch also really stand out because of their BS 5 (and bolt), armor save and their CC value, compared to any other tzeentch demons.

Tzeentch is also unique in the gods in that his units don't suffer as much from the demon army's deployment rules: they can shoot on arrival by deep strike.

Of course, nothing is going to be as effective as fatecrusher in the current meta; an important part of which is the use of plaguebearers as objective "campers". No troops even come close to PB's ability to hold a position.

meanmachine
20-03-2011, 08:56
Anyone have any good ways to use Fateweaver without bloodcrushers?

Flamers? Pink Horrors? Heralds of Tzeentch?

i use fateweaver in my mono tzeentch army a lot.

he is generally good in tzeentch armies as they all have a 4++ save

I dont really like the fatecrusher idea because it mean fateweaver has to move as slow as the bloodcrushers

I prefer to take fateweaver with a lord of change or bloodthirster, then they both go across the battlefield shooting enemies or assaulting, my enemies waste a lot of their fire power on the greater daemons so my little daemons get shot less.

people say fateweaver is just for support, I dont think of him that way at all. I like him because he is hard to kill, has 4 types of shooting attacks and can shoot at 3 different targets

Infidel
20-03-2011, 18:39
So, Fateweaver.

He is able to shoot at 3 different things, comes with every Tzeentch/Undividedshooting attacks and can assault any one of them. People neglect the fact that boon will kill anything with toughness 1/6 of the time and can be used in CC, and also, his attacks can potentially ID. This is on top of him being a winged MC and a 3++ standard and that 6" reroll bubble. If we upgrade a regular LoC to Fatey's level, he actually winds up more expensive than Fateweaver.

The fact of the matter is this. Daemons come down, and get shot at for a turn before they can do anything. Clever opponents will have some mean of moving away from them, making this 2 or even 3 turns of being shot at while doing very little in return. Our tough elements are universally slow and gets shot more; and our fast elements are universally squishy so they die when coughed on. Either way, survivability is a must.

And that's where Fateweaver comes in. He triples the durability of any model with 3+ and doubles anything with a 4+. Trust me, when our shooting platform is only T5 W4 with a 4+, we need that reroll. In higher point games when you start giving out wings and stuff like that on your DP, then it's even more imperative to have Fateweaver around to buff their survivability.

Some people say Fateweaver is just a Bloodcrusher Deliver Device, well, he kinda is, but he is still 333 points worth of raw killiness even if you decide to have him go solo. It is not uncommon for him to just ditch the Crushers when the situations call for it and just hang with guys that can keep up. When you put him in a tag-team with a Bloodthirster, the duo is capable of killing anything and everything.

On good days, I have had him destroy entire deathstars with breath/bolt/boon combo and on bad days he usually wind up tarpitting things I really don't want moving. It's all a matter of applying the force where needed.

Archon Deloth Vyrr
20-03-2011, 18:52
Yes FW is very very good. The problem with the OP's logic is that he looks at FW in a vacuum, and not his synergy with other units.

The only Daemon lists that have been making any splashes in the Tournament scene have FW as a core element.

ihavetoomuchminis
20-03-2011, 21:43
Fateweaver is good just because the daemons are not. Fateweaver just softs the turkey shoot daemons must face in every single game. Half your army gets shot on the first turn, the other half can be slowly killed in the next 4 or 5.

Vaktathi
20-03-2011, 23:49
Ok, now I've read in a lot of posts that Fateweaver is one of the best characters for Daemons, that he is the only thing making Daemons worth playing and so on. What's so good about him?

His stats are lower than a normal Lord of Change (more like a weak prince), He is very expensive, His special ability has a VERY short range, meaning that he will have to be in the frontline, making him a vurnerable target. Speaking of vurnerable target, he is also one Monstrous Creature with Eternal Warrior that CAN be one-shot killed.

So what's the big deal? What am I missing? How do you play him?

T5 3++ rerollable invul save, allows Bloodcrushers+Bloodthirster to become nigh unkillable. Probably my least favorite character to play against.

Draconis
21-03-2011, 01:10
Theres a good reason why its a staple in all tournie builds.

CommonPirate
21-03-2011, 04:21
Heyo,

While I've had some moderate success with Fateweaver + Bloodthirster + Bloodcrushers (1 unit), I have decided to try a more mono-Tzeentch list.

I have to say, units of Horrors with rerollable 4++ are surprisingly good, even at tarpitting in close combat.

Fateweaver flying around with another Lord of Change is also a dynamic duo of shooting doom. Both of them are damned hard to kill as well! Its been good times.

If you look at Fateweaver in a vacuum he's not so bad, but its his synergy with the rest of the daemons that makes him so good. Your enemy can focus all his fire at FW (which can be quite a lot to even dent him some games) and that allows the rest of your army to get into position. Or your opponent can focus on other units, but FW's rerolls helping them out makes them more survivable. Also FW is a killing machine at ranged, and can hold his own in CC as well.

He's just a very versatile model in an army where most units are cut-and-dry.

ihavetoomuchminis
21-03-2011, 11:52
Theres a good reason why its a staple in all tournie builds.

that's just because the other builds are weak, not because Fateweaver builds are amazing.

xxRavenxx
21-03-2011, 12:17
that's just because the other builds are weak, not because Fateweaver builds are amazing.

You're just jealous because you dont have 1,000,000 to buy a nurgle army :P

(I was pricing mine up from the website the other day, and giggled at how expencive the list now is to assemble... SoB are even worse.)

ihavetoomuchminis
21-03-2011, 12:23
You're just jealous because you dont have 1,000,000 to buy a nurgle army :P

(I was pricing mine up from the website the other day, and giggled at how expencive the list now is to assemble... SoB are even worse.)

haha. i don't have that money, but even if i did, i won't buy a nurgle army. I just don't like nurgle :p

matt_17
21-03-2011, 13:33
I get annoyed by people saying that FW is a must for a good daemons army. I've never played him since I like playing without using the special characters and I tend to win far more games than I lose. In the last few weeks I've beaten tournament grade IG and BT lists... and tabled a rather less than tournament grade nids list.

Fateweaver is good, but by no means a requisite for a good daemons army.

ihavetoomuchminis
21-03-2011, 13:37
I get annoyed by people saying that FW is a must for a good daemons army. I've never played him since I like playing without using the special characters and I tend to win far more games than I lose. In the last few weeks I've beaten tournament grade IG and BT lists... and tabled a rather less than tournament grade nids list.

Fateweaver is good, but by no means a requisite for a good daemons army.

could you tell me your list, please. I'd like to know!

eyescrossed
21-03-2011, 14:00
Me too. I'm really curious.

Silent_Moebius
21-03-2011, 15:41
If you PM the list, me too, pls.

Infidel
21-03-2011, 15:45
could you tell me your list, please. I'd like to know!This. Other than Fatecrusher, there are the boltspam Tzeentch/Khorne hybrid, Skarnesh and bolt/fiendspam and possibly flamer/boltspam. Those lists can do alright, but imho, not overly exceptional.

oftenwrong
21-03-2011, 16:09
I’m a fate/crusher guy. 3 groups if 4 crushers at 2500points. It’s the only thing that I’ve found that makes my daemon enjoyable in the higher point games. Other wise, I’d loose most games. Dare say he’s a little overpowered in low point games.

Fateweaver will also work with daemon prices or horrors. I’d say way from using him on the 5++ lesser. But the Oracle will turn horrors into a cc tar pit. I don’t think bearers benefit greatly from the fateweaver ether. just better things he could be doing.

The down side is, if you don’t get the wave you want, you’re “boned”. The range is small. You have to spend the first tune running you death star together rather than towards a target or shooting. Every unsaved wound the fateweaver takes needs a LD test or he’s removed from play. It’s your typical daemon (the dice will make your army dangerous) strategy.

dancingcricket
21-03-2011, 17:33
My 1500 pt list that I do very well with has been Fateweaver, 3*3 squads of flamers, 2*10 bloodletters, 2*10 horrors (no bolts), and 3*4 Screamers. Fateweaver helps the bloodletters somewhat when they're in combat, mostly though he helps out a bit with some anti-tank action, and a fire magnet. And I painted him very brightly, so he attracts a lot of attention. But being able to single/snipe out particular targets from a squad with Boon, even with the short range, has proven invaluable. I've managed to take out a carni (before the new Nid book) and a hive tyrant in the same game because my opponent kept rolling 6's. I recently took out my opponents special character in his DE army with it, buried in a squad of 20 warriors. Then hit them with a flame template from fateweaver and shot at a squad of jetbikes with him, in the same round. They passed their morale checks, but I'd significantly weakened them.

I've tried mono-tzeentch with him at 2K points. So long as I'm bringing the daemon princes tooled out to add CC support, I do quite well. It's a ton of firepower, and my list for 2K includes 10 S8 AP1 shots, which is a nice start on slowing vehicles down.