PDA

View Full Version : Game time

friendsofrhomb
20-03-2011, 02:37
Ok, I've noticed that my gaming group tends to take ages to play games, I'd just like to know how long other people usually take.

Our 2000pt games take about 3.5-4.5 hours from rolling for scenario to finish. Is this normal, or are we dragging the chain?

hashrat
20-03-2011, 02:40
Normal enough imho.

Feorag
20-03-2011, 02:43
sounds a tad slow to me our group tends to knock a 2.5k game out between 2-3 hours rolling random scenario etc...

Chris_
20-03-2011, 02:46
Yeah, I find that rolling for scenario and terrain takes quite a lot of time. My 2500 points games usually take around 4 hours including random terrain and unpacking/repacking all my minis. Going to start working on magnetizing bases for easier set-up and transportation as soon as I know what is useful in the coming TK book :D

Someone (can't remember who) on Warseer said they were working on some maps of terrain for easier set up. Randomize between a bunch of maps, set up the terrain and just roll for scenario, quick and painless. This I think would be awesome.

My goal would be 2.5-3 hours in total for 2-2.5k games with all of this. The time it takes is usually dependent on how well the players know their own armies and basic rules as well. Looking up rules all the time makes games longer.

theunwantedbeing
20-03-2011, 02:51
Hour per thousand points is the average.
More towards half an hour (or less!) per 1k is fast.
More towards two hours (or more!) per 1k is slow.

DaemonReign
20-03-2011, 03:02
4-5 hours for a 2,5k game doesn't seem stressed OR slow as far as I'm concerned.

Long time since I played a game that small though. Last two games I played we divided up over two weekend-nights (approx 6h each).

If you got the time for it I really recommend it. You get time to relax and have fun about the game, maybe take a break to cook dinner whatever, plus a "paus" of theorizing and talking about all the "what-ifs" before the game is over.

friendsofrhomb
20-03-2011, 05:15
That would be ideal, to be able to have a relaxing game, but theres always at least one person in the group that has something they have to do later, so ' have to be gone by X time'

I think part of the problem is we have only been playing about 6 months, some after a very long break ( 6 years for me) some for the first time. So theres alot of looking up rulebooks.

Jimmy Invictus
20-03-2011, 05:29
4-5 hours for a 2,5k game doesn't seem stressed OR slow as far as I'm concerned.

Long time since I played a game that small though. Last two games I played we divided up over two weekend-nights (approx 6h each).

If you got the time for it I really recommend it. You get time to relax and have fun about the game, maybe take a break to cook dinner whatever, plus a "paus" of theorizing and talking about all the "what-ifs" before the game is over.

Since gaming is also an excuse for my friends to socialize, we also take our time to enjoy the game, drink some beer and eat. Its not uncommon for the people not playing or engaging as back-seat generals to paint some models, work on conversions, etc.

The bearded one
20-03-2011, 05:50
We take about 2.5 hours ( with setting up etc. included ) for 2.5K

ftayl5
20-03-2011, 05:52
From start (setting up the board, rolling scenario, unpacking minis) to finish (last turn) my 2K games take about 2-3 hours on average.

Moopy
20-03-2011, 06:57
Gaming group has sadly not been active for a few months but we were doing 2.5k games in about 3-4 hours including smoke breaks, beer breaks, and the occasional having to post for a rules issue on warseer ><

Slowpoke
20-03-2011, 07:57
My former gaming group managed to spend 8-11 hours on a 2000 point 2 vs 2 battle on several occasions. This included setting up the table, preparing army lists, whipping out the minis, drinking, a trip to the liquor store for more drinks and lunch.

Majority of the time was wasted because of the host since he is an extremely slow player who weighs on every choice and possibility he makes during a single game turn like the whole world is depending on it.. Which is why I don't play there anymore since wargaming the whole day is not quite what I want from my few days off from work :shifty:

Nowadays a single 2,5k game with my buddies from start to finish takes about 3 hours and it's really fast compared to what I've been through with my previous group :)

dragonet111
20-03-2011, 10:00
Never play with my friends and I :) we spend so much time chatting, .... we are super slow.

Fortunately we play at my place.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
20-03-2011, 10:35
Anyone rushing a game in 2.5 hours is only 'playing a game'. Proper Warhammer takes much more time and is all about having fun with your mates :)

Slowpoke
20-03-2011, 12:02
Don't get me wrong I really do enjoy playing warhammer with my buddies and wouldn't mind if it took longer than 3 hours. It's just not fun to play for 8 hours solely because one particular player can't make up his mind during every phase of the turn and THAT kills the fun for me.

I would be happy to play with a fun and relaxed group even if it took the whole day. FUN is the thing I want from warhammer! :D

freddieyu
20-03-2011, 12:05
We take about 2.5 hours ( with setting up etc. included ) for 2.5K

This is about it....2.5-3 hrs for us here....

Awilla the Hun
20-03-2011, 12:29
At least 3 hours for my 2500 point games. That's about average, including set up time, taking photos etc. (My army is a very, very large one...) Then an evening to write up the batrep. Still, far more efficient than Inquisitor!

The bearded one
20-03-2011, 17:18
Well, I do play in a GW store ( and it's a pretty small one compared to others as far as I know ) so the number of tables is limited. We wouldn't mind playing 3-4 hours but then we'd be occupying a significant chunk of the store's tables and depriving others of a game. On gaming nights ( then the store is open 'till 21:00 and big games will start to be played around 14:00, we start cleaning stuff up at 20:30 ) every table will ideally have seen about 2-3 games, 4 with some luck ( or if the games are small ).

LordZombie
20-03-2011, 18:12
When 8th came out, my gaming group as a whole decided to up to 2500 point games. From start to finish, the games are still faster than a 2000 point game in 7th ed.

AFnord
20-03-2011, 20:44
A 2250 game takes 2-3h for us, with plenty of time to chat & make stupid jokes. We are good at multi-tasking in my group though, so we chat & crack stupid jokes while moving our models.

Earthbeard
20-03-2011, 21:08
2-4 hours all depending on forces used, any breaks and time of day.

Stronginthearm
21-03-2011, 05:28
Average 2000 points:: 1.75-2.5 hours
2000 point game with certain individual : 45 minutes

patchy
21-03-2011, 12:15
i havent played that many 8th games so im still a bit slow on rules i ask a few questions so im still at 3 hour-ish mark for 2.5k. use to knock down 6-7th edition games in 2 hours easy and that was a enjoyable pace where you could have another game afterwards too

Breazer
21-03-2011, 16:09
about 2-3 hours...for 2000 or 2500 pt game...
but i often dont mind when it takes longer...

drear
21-03-2011, 16:20
1500 usually last 1.5 hours maybe less depending on scenario/purple sun =p

2k + takes around 2 hours + depends on my opponent and if theres alot of rules explaining.

ive seen games with kids who arnt to sure about rules or over meticulous with rules to go on for insane amounts of time. 2k chaos vs tyranids lasted..5 hours? at my local store because both players needed to re-check rules at every phase. 'can a walker go through difficult terrain? , does a monsterous creature do this etc...