PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Fantasy

Justus
20-03-2011, 04:45
I'm a 40k player who is interested in Fantasy. I play CSM and Tyranids for my armies, so it's pretty obvious that I like assaults. I tried Tomb Kings a while back at my friend's house but decided not to do Fantasy because my Heirophant got sniped (damn TLoS) on turn 1, making my entire army crumble. I did not have fun. Where do the armies in this game stand as competitively? I'm not WAAC, but I do like winning more often than I lose. I was going to default with Chaos again, but I've thought of mixing it up a bit.

Where can I get solid assault and decent magic? Should I wait for TK again in May? I thought they were pretty cool. Chaos, specifically Nurgle, is my thing in 40k, how well does that translate to Fantasy? Finally, what are some tips or thoughts about the armies that a newcomer might overlook?

Justus

Jimmy Invictus
20-03-2011, 05:21
Justus, if you are a 40K Chaos player, you'll find that Chaos in fantasy is just fine, although its split into Daemons of Chaos and Warriors of Chaos armies. WoC has, hands down, the most elite infantry in the game ( Chaos Warriors ) with strong support units and magic. You will not have much in the way of missile troops, but thats what the magic and the Hellcannon-your sole war machine unit-is for! My knowledge of DoC is limited although I know their power level was reduced with Eighth edition being released. Ill bow to other's expertise for more info on that subject.

Before getting into fantasy, ask yourself what kind of army you enjoy playing, and choose one that you will enjoy painting and modelling. Skaven are currently riding high, and as you pointed out, new TKs are just around the corner-and skellies are easy to paint!

Charistoph
20-03-2011, 06:17
I would probably advise against any Undead, while a unit here or there is decent in close combat, and the characters are actually pretty dang good (Vamps especially in both magic and close combat), the Core units generally suck in close combat, relying too much on their ability to put Fear into their opponent to survive to be considered 'solid'. To put it another way, Tomb Kings are like the Necrons of Fantasy, only worse, for right now.

The Warriors of Chaos are VERY good in close combat, mixing very solid Core units with cheap solid Core units, and some dang good solid Special and Rare units. Up until 8th, their 'personal' magic was top notch (especially Tzeentch, surprise), but they still have access to a few good general Lores.

Dwarfs are good in close combat, but have a harder time getting there, and their magic phase is non-existant.

Lizardmen are decent in close combat and their Lord Wizards are some of the most powerful Wizards in the game, but their Hero Wizards lack in variety somewhat.

Greenskins can be good in close combat, but their magic is still being reviewed as to how powerful it is (read: I haven't looked at that section myself, and there aren't hourly posts on how good/bad it is). Great variety, though.

Empire can be good in close combat, and their magic is as good as the rulebook let's a standard Wizard to be.

Skaven can be good. Their magic's interesting, and they have some things in common with Tyranids (constantly experimenting to create better monsters, hordes of troops, etc).

Elves are good at getting the hits in during close combat, the return damage can be harsh. Their magic access is good, too, except for the Woodies, who are severely limited in options.

Beastmen can be nasty in close combat, but they generally have no armor, and their magic options are good for them, but limited in selection.

Bretonnians are great for creating cavalry armies, and if you know what you're doing, can be very effective, but the age of their army book hampers them somewhat.

Ultimate Life Form
20-03-2011, 09:15
Indeed, it is currently very hard to have fun with Tomb Kings at all. I think it sounds just like Warriors of Chaos might be for you. Lizardmen can be similar, but they don't have the raw devastating power those Chaos guys wield; they're more on the defensive side.

RMacDeezy
20-03-2011, 09:47
daemons are extremely close-combat oriented and are very powerful in magic and combat

Lord of Divine Slaughter
20-03-2011, 09:57
You sound like a young and brash player with only a rudimentary grasp on tactics, and more fascinated with rolling heaps of dice and having a go at it.

I'd suggest, you start out with Orcs and Goblins. They're fun, basic and have a penchant for Buttin' 'eadz. However, unlike a more dedicated CC army (eg. WoC), they do offer a wide range of options to later let you enjoy more aspects of the game.

Also 'The Greenz' just got a new army book, heaps of plastic and are generally well liked by GW, so is currently the 'safest' investment :)

dragonet111
20-03-2011, 10:37
Strong assault and powerful magic also sound like High or Dark Elves. If you want a break from Chaos it can be a good choice.

mrtn
20-03-2011, 11:03
I'd suggest that you try the army with the coolest models, that's usually the best way to choose an army. (though Wood Elves are apparently in dire need of an update, but all the other armies should be good to go)

It sounds like Warriors of Chaos or Beastmen could fit you. WoC have more armour, while Beastmen trust more to masses of shaggy beasts and magic buffs/debuffs. WoC is the more common out of those two armies, and might be easier to play (a chaos warrior is the closest to a space marine you'll get in WFB). You'll also see some slagging off of the beastmen on the internet, mostly by people who haven't tried them in 8th edition and goes by "someone on the internet said that..." auto pilot.

Tokamak
20-03-2011, 11:20
Indeed, pick your models first.

Sinnertje
20-03-2011, 11:32
WoC has, hands down, the most elite infantry in the game ( Chaos Warriors )

I would like to point out that an Ogre Kingdoms' basic ogre is over double the points of a chaos warrior.

That said, everything that has been said is all that needs to be said... But I agree with Lord of Divine Slaughter

Andy p
20-03-2011, 14:40
I dont know what points cost has to do with being elite....

Justus
20-03-2011, 14:49
Hoo boy, compared to 40k stats a lot of these are low! I went down the list and just threw out the armies that I'm not interested in (purely aesthetically). My personal list leaves Beastmen, Daemons of Chaos, Lizardmen, Orcs and Goblins, Skaven, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Warriors of Chaos.

Beastmen: I'm not particularly interested in them because I would probably end up having a sea of brown when I play, but at the same time I don't dislike them. We'll see.

Daemons of Chaos: A classic, not something I'm unfamiliar with. If I played them I'd probably go with Khorne/Nurgle, I'm not sure what the standard configuration is. Part of me wants to try something new rather than stay wit Chaos.

Lizardmen: Very reptilian feel, I just like the scales everywhere. Slann are pretty neat along with the standard lizard dudes. Aztec feel, nice. Temple Guard look real badass.

Orcs and Goblins: In 40k the Ork fluff really just makes me mad. I feel like most of it is just way over the top. How is the fluff in this game? I can't play an army where I don't like the fluff. Apparently they are a good starter army, but I don't really have an attraction to the models at all. That being said, I don't dislike them.

Skaven: These guys are so cool. They have a sneaky, scumbag, manipulative feel to them, in short, they remind me of me! Plague Monks are pretty cool guys, and I love the ratty feel of the army. Clan Rats make me lol as well

Tomb Kings: What can I say? I tried fantasy when 8th just came out, once. I proxied my 40k army as TK. He sniped my heirophant on turn 1 due to TLoS, and he went first as well. That meant before I got to do anything my army began to crumble. It wasn't fun at all. I like the fluff and feel of TK a lot, and I know they are getting a new Army Book. If I can't decide on another army I'll probably end up playing TK.

Vampire Counts: They just seem like better Tomb Kings with not as cool fluff to me. Still, it has skeletons, and I like the Ghoul models a lot.

Warriors of Chaos: I'm least inclined to play these. I'm really only interested in the Hero/Lord slot and the actual Warriors. Everything else is kind of meh for me. If they play most like CSM I'm probably not going with them.

And there are my short synopsizes on the armies that I'm interested in. It's quite obvious which ones will fall from this list soon enough, but before I just slay some viable options I would like to hear some tidbits of information from you guys. Thanks!

mrtn
20-03-2011, 15:41
It sounds like you like the skaven models the most, so I'd go with them. :) They're one of the strongest armies ATM, and also included in the starter set, so it's not as hard to start a horde of them as it once was (in other words, it's easy now).
However, since you feared that Beastmen would be a sea of brown I don't know if skaven is any better. ;)

Justus
20-03-2011, 16:01
Looking over the armies again I crosses off Beastmen, both flavors of Chaos, Orcs and Goblins. That leaves me with Lizardmen, Skaven, TK, and Vampire Counts. I like the rat men a lot, I'll admit. I can cross out Vampire Counts now, which leaves my top 3 as Lizardmen, Skaven, and Tomb Kings.

Lizardmen seem like a relentless force to be reckoned with. They are tough and will not run in fear. I really feel like I can have a lot of fun painting my Lizards a multitude of color.

Skaven are just ratty and cool. They have a realistic approa...

Screw it, I'm just going Skaven. The steampunk feel mixed with magic, the amount of sheer douche baggery in that race, and the poison. Oh god, the poison! Thanks guys, thank you for helping me make up my mind.

edit: That being said, is the Isle of Blood worth the $100? I can always try to get a mate to play and split the cost or sell the High Elves on eBay. It's either IoB or make a 500 point force and working my way up in the ranks.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
20-03-2011, 16:57
Sounds like you're really into the mummy thing, so go with the kings. Their new book is just around the corner, and then their competitiveness should be fixed :)

Remember that balance will change with every new book, and todays powerhouse will be tomorrows trash, only models last :)

mrtn
20-03-2011, 18:46
The IoB set is a good set, and you can do with more than one if you like. Take a trawl on eBay or similar before paying RRP for it though.

Justus
21-03-2011, 04:06
It's really breakin my balls because I bought the TK army book for 8 dollars back when I tried them out and I just love the models and fluff. But Skaven are so cool too... Both are horde armies that use big things Ushapti/Rat Ogres and artillery Screaming Skull Catapult and Casket/various warpstone warmachines. I like them equally, maybe I should just roll D6 on it...

Charistoph
21-03-2011, 04:19
Tomb Kings are not a horde army. They can get close, but not quite on the same level as Skaven are known for, or even Empire is capable of.

Yamabushi
21-03-2011, 04:29
Charistoph had it right. The closest comparison I can think of when playing my Tks are: "Undead Elves" :p

Justus
21-03-2011, 04:31
I know, but I suspect that skeletons will be less than 8 points per model in the next army book. I got some money now... On saturday when I win my 40k doubles tournament I'm definately going to see if he knows anything about new Tomb Kings and what he would recommend based on my play style and personality. I mean, I saw Codex: Grey Knights and a painted Dreadknight a few days ago, so ya never know.

Justus
21-03-2011, 22:31
To anyone still following this topic I pulled the trigger and bought Tomb Kings. They are what piqued my interest in Fantasy initially and they are getting the new armybook in May. I love the models, the fluff, and the whole ancient army of the dead feel to it. I'm stocking up on models that are timeless till the new release, like skeleton unit (just got on Amazon) and soon a Tomb King and a Liche Priest. Thanks all!

GenerationTerrorist
21-03-2011, 23:35
*Phew*
Thanks the lords that there aint another Skaven player!

To be fair, you have made the choice that you have because the models and fluff appeal to you. That is what most people do when choosing their armies....My main two (WoC and HE) have been with me for years, HE since the mid 1990's, and I couldn't envisage ever parting with them.

Also, with the new book coming out, I am very confident that the TK will become a very solid army.

Good luck :-)

popisdead
21-03-2011, 23:43
Warriors of Chaos Nurgle is SUPER awesome right now. With the exception Khorne Marauders are better, Nurgle has an awesome lore, useful mark, amazing special Char (Festus in a unit of chosen with Favour of the Gods, Add'l HWs, Warshrine, Banner of Rage is EPIC super happy fun time of awesome).

Justus
22-03-2011, 00:18
Whether solid or not, I'll embark on a journey to master my Tomb Kings. Whether facing the mightiest Skaven player in my LGS or the scummiest Dark Elf player I'll work solemnly to crush the bones of anyone who dares enter my desert. I just need to get really good first :)

Yamabushi
22-03-2011, 02:47
Welcome to the dynasty! Drop me a PM if you want to know anything about Tomb Kings. Fluff, tactics, or anything else. Glad to see another player on board :)