PDA

View Full Version : Post-Apocalyptic Themed Army; Which Codex To Use?

Proiteus
20-03-2011, 11:46
I’ve just finished a fully converted guard army (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/models2/DSCF3224.jpg) and I’m now looking to start a new project with a post-apocalyptic mad max like theme which I’ve always wanted to do. I’m also planning to enter into the ‘Armies On Parade’ contest in Aug.

I made a DIGGA MOB (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/186/5/d/Feral_Humans___Krogg_Warriors_by_Proiteus.jpg) for a Gorkamorka campaign to see what they would look like, sadly I’ll have to remove the pig iron helmets for the contest so I plan to use chaos warrior helmets without the horns for the majority of the models.

So right now I’m debating which codex to use, I’ve just done a huge guard army so they’re out of the question as I‘m tired of armies that rely heavily on shooting like my guard and Tzeentch daemons.
So they are two clear options; Orks Or Space Wolves…

ORKS
Thou I know not everyone will buy into the ‘they’ve been fighting on an hellish apocalyptic world for centuries’ as a reason for the ork stats, but the Ork codex has all the units that would suit these theme.

Ramshackle vehicles; buggies, trukks, battlewagons would add to the mad max feel. (Heres one I made for the gorkamorka campaign) (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/186/a/d/Feral_Humans___Krogg_Trukk_1_by_Proiteus.jpg)
Ork rules (with the exception of the waaagh) suit the barbaric nature of the theme.
Mutant slaves converted from skaven plague monks.
Scratch built orgyn like creatures for nobs.

SPACE WOLVES
This was suggested by someone later on. The two benefits he stated of using the SW codex is; 1) I wouldn’t have so many infantry models to paint so I could focus more on each one and; 2) There are players that can easily be confused and even annoyed at using codexes from other races, converting a marine army up to a certain theme could prevent such problems and the wolves feral nature make them the best marine codex for the job.

Regarding the army’s appearance I would model all the warriors like the leader of my digga mob (http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/at2/2011/3/18/f9e0fa8bbefb8fba65129d383a2045f0_10465.jpg) using Khrone Berserker legs on every model.

I can make all the vehicles look looted but still recognisable and use Buggies for Land Speeders
Construct underground drill transports for drop pods (but only 2 at the most)
Convert the long fangs so their armed with the rokkit launchers the ork tankbustas use.
Plus perhaps do some huge mutant cavalry for the Thunderwolves?
Model Mark Of The Wulfen as an mutated warrior attracted to the squad

So which army should I use for this theme; barbaric Astartes or orkish humans? Remember that I’m also after effectiveness as there isn’t much point in building an army that can’t win especially with the competitive players I fight at my club.

As always I’m grateful for any help and feedback.

TheConverter15
20-03-2011, 11:48
Space wolves wins my vote as you want to keep them competitive and some of the ideas are too cool (mutant cavalry ftw!!!)

Grimmeth
20-03-2011, 12:36
The armour for Space Wolves is going to be rather high for standard humans, but I'm sure some creative fluff could get around this. However, along a similar route Blood Angels may work, the feral kind of idea could well be implemented in game by The Red Thirst?

Otherwise I'd say Orks, having played a lot of Fallout I can easily see that toughness of basic people may have improved (Super Mutants anyone?). It is a horde army though, although there are ways to mitigate this (If you go heavy on the ramshackle vehicles for example)

AlphariusOmegon20
20-03-2011, 16:14
Go for the Orks. You have the style of Gorkamorka to fall back on look wise.

Proiteus
20-03-2011, 21:29
Go for the Orks. You have the style of Gorkamorka to fall back on look wise.

Good point, thou I'm still wondering what to model to represent nobs?

Torpedo Vegas
20-03-2011, 21:42
Good point, thou I'm still wondering what to model to represent nobs?

Ogres.
extraletters

Bold_or_Stupid
20-03-2011, 23:33
Grey Knights? Everyone else is doing it.

terradax
20-03-2011, 23:44
I've seen an army Speed Freaks army that was built using Gorkamorka minis and converterd humans. It had a heavy post-apocalyptic theme and looked great! Orks wins my vote! I hope to see some pictures of feral humans riding converted motorcycles :)

p.s. And as for the whole ogres as Nobs? That'll blow my mind!

Justicar_Freezer
21-03-2011, 06:24
This runs along the lines of an idea I've been toying around with which is basically the same thing a mad max, fall out raiders type army.

I'd say go for orks they fit the over all theme and feel better I think.

Proiteus
28-03-2011, 20:17
p.s. And as for the whole ogres as Nobs? That'll blow my mind!

True but converting nob bikers will be a challenge. Personally I'm thinking of perhaps having drugged up squad leaders in crude battle armour using the forge world iron armour (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-Accessories/MK-III-IRON-ARMOUR.html) and converting it to look like something out of fallout 3?

Harriticus
28-03-2011, 20:21
There's always a Chaos Cultist-themed army. They have a sort of "dirty" look to them:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRr5lKOrgHzPR2Iq7CKBIZaTVYkoZC2Y 3R1-2O6wbVspotMe_AB&t=1

That looks like something out of mad max imo. Their vehicles have a sort of dirty and ramshackle look to them, similar to Orks.

Achaylus72
28-03-2011, 23:40
Me personally would go for orks, one thing Apocalypse does and does well lends itself to large Ork formations, i have begun to paint a second Ork Green Tide.

But i am expanding my already large Chaos Army currently 12,000 points into a Demi-Chapter of 27,000 points, called "Sons of Achaylus". This will incorporate an already large 9,000 point Ork Army "Purple Skullz". Also i'll be adding a Dark Eldar component as Daemon Prince Achaylus Deathstorm's concubine is L'khore Kannath Dark Eldar Wych Princess and Leader of the Exiled "Death Scythers" Wych Cult

Achaylus72
29-03-2011, 04:27
An addition, i am sad to report that i have decided to massively cut down my Purple Skullz War band, from at current 9,000 or so points down to a relatively small 4,000 points.

Looks like i have to get rid of 5,000 points, i'll be putting some formations up on my Ebay Store.

Zurken
29-03-2011, 05:45
Dark Eldar maybe, they got some good potential to build your army around. Wracks could be your standard thugs, wyshes some druged-up berzerker types and Venoms and raiders could be some insane scrap-builded flying thingies.

Grotesques and the MCs creatures could be some pimped up super mutants.

The only thing lacking is some cool ground vehicles.

I think orks suits better than space wolves though.

LonelyPath
29-03-2011, 13:10
I'd say to go with Orks, plus the Waaagh! works well since you're thinking barbarianism and they'd love to do that mad rush into assault with the foe :D

Proiteus
04-05-2011, 21:45
Someone made the suggestion that I maybe better of going with a henchmen army and give the army a more mercenary feel to it; so have mutants for argo flagellants, pirates and mercs for warriors, some elite fighters for assassins.
I could also have a bounty hunter for the vindicare assassin plus model land raiders as battlewagons and make the storm ravens look like a the ships the reavers used in Serenity/firefly.

What do you think?

Gensuke626
05-05-2011, 03:41
Someone made the suggestion that I maybe better of going with a henchmen army and give the army a more mercenary feel to it; so have mutants for argo flagellants, pirates and mercs for warriors, some elite fighters for assassins.
I could also have a bounty hunter for the vindicare assassin plus model land raiders as battlewagons and make the storm ravens look like a the ships the reavers used in Serenity/firefly.

What do you think?

I like the Orks idea better.

Getz
23-06-2011, 14:31

What do you think?

If you're going for a human army then it's either IG or GK henchmen for me.

Seeing as you've just done a guard army I'd definately go for the Henchmen route. You can take Rhinos and Razorbacks, which make pretty decent light vehicles because of their low armour values, or Chimeras if you want something a touch punchier. You don't need the "ramshackle" rule in order to have ramshackle looking models...

Henchmen are very flexible so you can take lots of different types of infantry too.

I'd definately go with GK henchmen over Orks. Orks are very cool, but the statlines are all wrong.