PDA

View Full Version : Planet name- not too heavy handed?

SaschaKreiger
20-03-2011, 20:44
I named one of the planets in my empire Aschknas, and I'm starting to be concerned that the reference/theme is too heavy handed. It's the central planet in the Ehrenberg Sektor which is commanded by Gretel Ehrenstein. It is also a Sektor with strong loyalty to the empire, and contributes many scientific advances.

The historical background for a lot of the qualities of the Sektor are more obscure, but the name of the planet seems like it could be too blatant.

Kurisu313
20-03-2011, 20:52
I don't get it. Is it supposed to be obvious because I can't even hazard a guess.

ForgottenLore
20-03-2011, 20:52
I don't get it. Either.

BTW, once you have gathered enough opinions, if no one has said before then, you HAVE to tell us what it is referencing.;)

Herne the hunter
20-03-2011, 21:05
I read "Ash cans." I take it that's not what you're going for?

SaschaKreiger
20-03-2011, 21:08
Ok, I'll take this as a sign that I haven't too obvious with the symbolism.

Thanks.

Kurisu313
20-03-2011, 21:24
Edit: Never mind, I'm an Idiot

jibbajabbawocky
20-03-2011, 21:25
*sigh*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkanazi

Since you are already going for a very unsubtle German/Russian theme to your faction, I wouldn't consider it too heavy handed. :p

As long as the other players in the group your using the Sturmkreig thing in don't mind, I'd say go for it.

ForgottenLore
20-03-2011, 21:30
OK, with a little research online, it looks like the name, Aschknas, is tied in with a biblical character and the mythological progenitor of the German (and possibly Saxon) people.

Given the overall linguistic style of SaschaKreiger's various names, I would guess this is what he is referencing?

SaschaKreiger, Unless your play group is composed of historians and anthropologists with specialities in Germanic prehistory, no, your not being too obvious.

Kurisu313
20-03-2011, 21:36
Fair enough. I'm not exactly knowledgable about Judaism. However, I've always liked using names from the Judeo-Christian myths for Imperial names, like Ezekiel, Cain, etc.

[lexus]
20-03-2011, 21:42
Why do you write sector with a k though? You kinda sound like one of those cheesy industrial bands who also switch all kinds of letters to sound more 'German'.

Even though you go for a heavy German theme, the overall background remains English. Id keep words like sector and stuff in English. But thats just my honest opinion.

SaschaKreiger
20-03-2011, 21:48
it looks like the name, Aschknas, is tied in with a biblical character and the mythological progenitor of the German (and possibly Saxon) people.

I actually didn't realize it.

Unless your play group is composed of historians and anthropologists with specialities in Germanic prehistory, no, your not being too obvious.

That's probably pretty accurate.

Why do you write sector with a k though?

That's actually how it's spelled.

[lexus]
20-03-2011, 21:58
That's actually how it's spelled.

Ah yeah, sorry, I didnt realize you wanted to go for the total German theme where everything is in German. my bad.

SaschaKreiger
20-03-2011, 22:04
Do you think it's too much?

Also, I wanted to do something to distinguish it from an Imperium sector.

orz192
20-03-2011, 22:39
Why do 40k names always need to be so awkward? Simplicity is an amazing thing.

[lexus]
20-03-2011, 22:42
Do you think it's too much?

Also, I wanted to do something to distinguish it from an Imperium sector.

Hmmm, if you put it like that, it does make it look a little different. But if you want to really make it distinctive from the Imperium, it might be better if you took something that doesnt look like the English word with only one letter difference. Arent there some other awesome totally German words that mean roughly the same as zone or sector?

Bloodknight
20-03-2011, 22:47
Nope, that would still be Sektor, Zone and Distrikt, for example. English and German are not that far away from each other.

[lexus]
20-03-2011, 23:02
Provinz, Regelzone, Fürstentum, Herzogtümer, Reichskommessariate, Reichsgaue, Protektorat, etc.

Granted, some of those still look like the English versions of them, but at least they are unique compared to the Imperiums 'sector' and 'sub sector'.

And if its a warzone, you could do Operationszone or something. And if youre not afraid of a bit of Nazi naming in it, then a task force or an army group could be an Einsatzgruppe. Dunno if thats to controversial though.

ForgottenLore
20-03-2011, 23:21
I'm perfectly fine with Sektor (not that my opinion matters really).

Its easy to read and understand while looking decidedly foreign at the same time.

spetswalshe
20-03-2011, 23:57
I got the Jewish reference - first from Ashkenazi, then from -burg and -stein. But have a look at Valhalla and you'll probably find yourself being embarrassingly oblique.

Why do 40k names always need to be so awkward? Simplicity is an amazing thing.

Man, don't get me started. I'm still gutted about when I found out the Blood Angel primarch isn't called Sanguinus, he's called Sanguinius because silliness is preferable to rolling off the tongue.

shadowhawk2008
21-03-2011, 04:34
Haha, I always thought that he was called Sanguinus then sometime later I realized that it was Sanguinius and I was like 'oh......'

@Sascha
It's never too heavy handed. Look at what Dan Abnett did in Prospero Burns and compare it to William King's Space Wolf novels.

BobtheInquisitor
21-03-2011, 05:55
Ok, I'll take this as a sign that I haven't too obvious with the symbolism.

Thanks.

Do they get along with the inhabitants of Sphardia?

PS: Was I any help in the German/Hebrew thread? Just curious.

AndrewGPaul
21-03-2011, 08:41
Look at the names for existing planets in the setting; Necromunda and Armageddon for example. The Caiaphas Cain novels are a little more subtle, but not by much. Then there's the plain silly ones; Birmingha the Black Planet, Luther McIntyre IV, Lucan (named purely so they could call the governor Lord Lucan). It's not really possible to be too heavy handed.

Congratulations (?) on crowbarring your characters into the Wikipedia "List of fictional Jews" page, by the way.

The reason [lexus] commented on the spelling of "sektor" was when you said "It is also a Sektor with strong loyalty to the empire, and contributes many scientific advances." It was using "sektor" outwith the actual name that seemed odd.

MajorWesJanson
21-03-2011, 09:21
Congtratulations (?) on crowbarring your characters into the Wikipedia "List of fictional Jews" page, by the way.

I can't see that lasting. That listing is for published works, not fanfiction.

Bloodknight
21-03-2011, 15:34
Look at the names for existing planets in the setting;

Yup. One of the best ones is still "Prandium", which got overrun by Tyranids. Prandium basically means "lunch"...

AndrewGPaul
21-03-2011, 20:11
Hah! Didn't notice that one before. :)

TrooperTino
21-03-2011, 20:40
As a german I have much fun reading about your Sturmkreig (had to concentrate not to write krIEg) empire. Looking forward to more....

Quote: Provinz, Regelzone, Fürstentum, Herzogtümer, Reichskommessariate, Reichsgaue, Protektorat, etc.

I have never heard Regelzone, and its spelled Reichskommissariat... "Bezirk" or "Zone" as the last word with "Reichs", "General", "Sperr", "Militär" as the first would work in every combination

Harwammer
21-03-2011, 20:48
Its an anagram of Has Snack.

Word of warning, but your planet may be overdue on an obesity epidemic or is about to come up against a very hungry threat from space :)

Perhaps your planet is the next "Prandium"... thanks for that Bloodknight!

SaschaKreiger
22-03-2011, 05:36
And if its a warzone, you could do Operationszone or something. And if youre not afraid of a bit of Nazi naming in it, then a task force or an army group could be an Einsatzgruppe. Dunno if thats to controversial though.

I'm actually wondering about this, though in the example of Einsatzgruppen, it would most likely be Aschknas sending raiding groups of stormtroopers against the Eldar. Also, the other thing I've been wondering about, is whether I should use Feldgendarmerie for the military police; they have a connection to the German Empire, not just the Nazis, so technically it's eligible under my personal naming policy.

[lexus]
22-03-2011, 16:32
As a german I have much fun reading about your Sturmkreig (had to concentrate not to write krIEg) empire. Looking forward to more....

Quote: Provinz, Regelzone, Fürstentum, Herzogtümer, Reichskommessariate, Reichsgaue, Protektorat, etc.

I have never heard Regelzone, and its spelled Reichskommissariat... "Bezirk" or "Zone" as the last word with "Reichs", "General", "Sperr", "Militär" as the first would work in every combination

Got it from Google Translate so sorry about that.