PDA

View Full Version : How are Games Workshop Stores

Cair Andros FTW
21-03-2011, 01:43
Hiya all.
I was just wondering in the near future i might regularly visit my local games workshop here in miranda. My question is this how are the stores themselves and staff. Cause the last time i went there to buy myself my first pack of warriors of minas tirith the dude there
freaked the living hell out of me :eek:(Tried pressuring me to buy mines of moria which i didn't want!). Just wondering now that i've built up a small but decent force ( And battled my neighbour a bit) is that if i do start going there. How should i approach the staff by asking them what i should do or something like that. And the tall 15-16 yr old people that go there. :(

By now you've realised im pretty shy so how should i overcome my fear of not the shop itself but the people who go there.:confused:

Comments appreciated.:)

sigur
21-03-2011, 03:36
I only played at a GW store once and it was practically empty then but as a general piece of advice - stores vary greatly from place to place. If I was you, I'd try to get a gaming group of my own but if you go to the store, just be nice and polite. Ask one of the staffers if you could have a game (pretend that you want to brush up on your rules knowledge or something like that), preferrably not during the peak times there, chat a little during playing and so on.

Our store here has a sort of gamers register and organize games for you so maybe you'd want to ask for that too. Have fun. :)

Ravenous
21-03-2011, 05:08
It varies from store to store.

The mall locations are generally filled daily by children and have little to no playing area, and weekends are write offs.

The one man locations or bunkers have loads of tables and are good if you have time off during the week or the manager is cool and stays open after hours. Weekends are again write offs because of the vile groin spawns.

Asuron
21-03-2011, 05:50
Hiya all.
I was just wondering in the near future i might regularly visit my local games workshop here in miranda. My question is this how are the stores themselves and staff. Cause the last time i went there to buy myself my first pack of warriors of minas tirith the dude there
freaked the living hell out of me :eek:(Tried pressuring me to buy mines of moria which i didn't want!). Just wondering now that i've built up a small but decent force ( And battled my neighbour a bit) is that if i do start going there. How should i approach the staff by asking them what i should do or something like that. And the tall 15-16 yr old people that go there. :(

By now you've realised im pretty shy so how should i overcome my fear of not the shop itself but the people who go there.:confused:

Miranda Nsw?
If its that one, then I sympathise completely

I remember going there as a kid, small cramped store, employees who knew jack all about fluff ( tried to talk about the empire and things related to Sigmar , specifically related to the bloody campaign they were running, just got me a funny look and a "yeah thats cool")

Find somewhere else to go, its cramped, hot and not enjoyable , unless its changed drastically since then

Demonborger
21-03-2011, 15:16
Try Parramatta?

tezdal
21-03-2011, 17:32
Personally I loathe GW stores, too pushy with the sales....thats why I love my FLGS, I can browse without some red-shirt know-it-all at my elbow

Achaylus72
23-03-2011, 06:01
Hiya all.

The only way you'll get over your shyness is to get off your backside and go to the store and start playing or just sit and paint, whatever rocks your boat, i used to be an extreme introvert, but after two years of mingling i got over my introverted nature.

Once i get over my financial situation i will return to my local store which is Hornsby.

shadowhawk2008
23-03-2011, 14:49
I played at a GWS for about 2 years and it was a great experience. The staff were always the well-informed types who knew about both the rules and the fluff equally well and could even keep a good discussion going on about it all. They were sometimes pushy with the sales and I admit I did get carried away at times but generally it was all good.

Never had too much problems with the kids either because the store managers weren't very forgiving of stupid antics and the regional manager used to frequent the store as well.

As for the kind of people who played there, it was a fun experience. Good and decent players who know the rules and their armies.

EDIT: This was the GWS in Glendale Galleria, Glendale, California.

Morkash
23-03-2011, 17:18
I have to admit, I never was in an official GW store, but from the experiences I heard from several guys from all over Germany I could get the following infos:
- One store is apperently really cool, the manager is nice and there are organized painting evenings where you are supplied with colours and tips. Always someone to play as well.
- Then there is the big store with alot of employees, everything is more frentic there, but ok. Quite large playing area as well.
- Lastly, there is the store where you are not allowed to paint outside of organized events, and you may not sit down in the back area to talk, the seats are reserved for helpless children nice consumers to watch the people playing.
So...you can get quite alot of experiences, similar to a lucky bag. (is that the word?^^)

pitterwilliams
24-03-2011, 12:35
A few years back I knew you could bring current edition NIB Games Workshop product and exchange it at the shop no questions asked, even without a recipet. Does anyone know if they still have this policy?

tezdal
29-03-2011, 07:09
Hiya all.

Well if you really don't want em to bug you, just start talking about non-games workshop miniature wargames as loud as possible....it worked for me once anyway.

blue penguin
02-04-2011, 05:32
first time my brothers and me went to a gw store we walked around the mall three times. first to realize that the store was two venues to the left from where we entered. then one of the employees freaked my older brother so much he made us go away and go around the mall. when we got back the employee was gone but we didn't stay long since my brother feared he might have come back. he got over it eventually and sometime after one of the employees became my god when he hunted me an out of production heroes of the west lotr box.

Zoring
02-04-2011, 07:38
A few years back I knew you could bring current edition NIB Games Workshop product and exchange it at the shop no questions asked, even without a recipet. Does anyone know if they still have this policy?

Absolutely not in Australia anyhow, I had a receipt but it had been purchased at a alternative stockist not a GW, woulden't accept it.

Sayber
02-04-2011, 12:13
Generally Good in my experience, My Store is Parramatta, which has a Bunker. Lots of Room, Lots of people.