PDA

View Full Version : Playing With Non-GW Minis:Do You Or Don't You?

Jimmy Invictus
21-03-2011, 04:31
My Skaven, which I started years ago ( those of you who remember the Jess Goodwin jezzails and WFT know the generation of sculpts Im talking about ) are all official Citadel/GW minis. I would have thrown my boot at you if you had suggested I use another company's miniatures in my chittering hordes from the Underempire.

I was young and foolish back then.

Now I'm less young, less foolish (my GF would argue otherwise ), and more open to ideas than I used to be-ideas like using other company's miniatures; the change of heart came about because of a shoe.

After my initial foray into WFB with my Skaven, I took a break from wargaming for awhile, and came back with he release of seventh. I bought an Empire army, and although I love my Imperial troops, the sculpts of the statetroopers make me wonde if the lower classes of the Empire are severely inbred, because they just look....off. The final straw came after I had assembled a unit of forty halberdiers and noticed tha although the Empire is arguably the most advanced human civilization on the Warhammer planet, they can't seem to supply state infantry with shoes. OK,really it was because the price of the state trooper boxes jumped and I felt as though GW was laughing at me whenever I forked over that much cash for ten RnF troopers. At least GW wasnt charging something really silly, say fifty dollars for five little plastic terminators or something....:angel:

So, because of costs and dissatisfaction with the expensive troops I was being required to buy by Eighth, I was finally directed to Perry Miniatures, and Im now a very satisfied customer of theirs. Ive also stumbled aross Wargames Factory, Mantic, Artizan, Victrix...the list goes on. There are a lot of quality designs competing for GW miniature sales, and yet rather than shop around, I paid GW prices for years, even when I didn't like the models.

Lest you think Im GW bashing, thats not the case. I've played 40K since RT, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, love me some BFG, Mordheim, and now of course WFB. But I think that, as players, we do a lot of complaining about GW pricing, when there are a growing number of alternative companies out there who are making miniatures that work just fine using GW rulesets. I love GW for the worlds they've created to game in but Ive also come to realize there are alternatives. In the case of the Perry minis I picked up, they are FAR better than the inbred, shoeless official GW state troops at half the cost.

I also don't believe WYSIWYG is anything but a ploy to make me buy the same bloody RnF troops if I wanna arm them differently, i.e., another marketing ploy.

Rosstifer
21-03-2011, 04:35
I don't but only because I support my LGS which stocks only GW and Privateer Press, I'm not under the illusion that GW are the only decent miniatures company. I'm keen to pick up the new Mantic Orcs, but I'd kind of feel guilty in regards to the guys at my LGS.

Jimmy Invictus
21-03-2011, 04:44
I totally understand that; I've been going to the same two LGS's for years!

And I wanted to add that ninety percent of my miniatures purchases have been GW because they turn out some wicked designs...e.g., the new Skaven range is amazing, and the new Savage Orcs are a HUGE improvement. But, as with dating, there are a lot of fish out there...something I myself have forgotten from time to time.;)

Darkspear
21-03-2011, 04:46
I do not mind non GW minis but I do insist on GW miniatures for official tournaments and events. This is because those shops involved are doing a business involving GW products and as players, we should do our best to serve the shop's interests.

But if you are someone who only plays in private functions....pls go ahead.

Gwyddyon
21-03-2011, 05:31
I play almost exclusively GW games, but I use almost exclusively NON-GW minis. My BFG fleets are GW, as is the Warmaster army I'm putting together, but my WFB armies are less than 10% GW - my Empire are a mix of English Civil War Scots from Warlord, Renegade, and Bicorne and my Dogs of War...well, they're a combination of Perry War of the Roses, Old Glory Bearskin Berserkers, Gripping Beast Vikings, Mantic Revenants, Reaper characters, and some GW crossbowmen and duelists.:shifty: I'm lucky to have a great LGS that stocks three or four times more historicals and Reaper than GW, so I've got something like a dozen manufacturers to chose from without having to go online.

If it fits the look you're going for (and your budget), I say go for it!

Jind_Singh
21-03-2011, 07:12
I pretty much play with 100% GW minis - they don't always have the best, Avatars of War for e.g. kick ass on their character sculpts, and let's face it - with the exception of a VERY few minis GW has not been known for decent female sculpts, but I still stick with the GW brand - mainly because almost ALL my games are played at the local GW, and also because I like to support them - they keep my hobby going!

ftayl5
21-03-2011, 07:22
I have an AoW Goblin Hero. Other than that, 100% GW. Mostly because GW models are more accessible and generally, though perhaps more expensive, better.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
21-03-2011, 07:31
Its a rare mini that isn't GW or Forgeworld in my collection - most other companies lack that 'warhammery' look - but there are some models out there that hands down beat GW, so I use those instead :)

sulla
21-03-2011, 07:41
I use whatever models I like the most. 99% of the time, those are GW minis, but I do have a few female assassins converted from other companies stuff and a female knight champ too.

I wish there were companies who made nice, cheap rank and file elves that I liked. I'd probably colect them. The AoW slayers look really nice. Tempted to start dwarves...

Chris_
21-03-2011, 07:58
I wouldn't mind playing with non-GW miniatures. I play Tomb Kings so not as much choice out there for minis as for some others (VC, Empire, Elves etc.)

But if/when I start up another army I will definitely shop around a bit to see if there are any alternatives to GW for that race.

Satan
21-03-2011, 07:58
I enjoy mixing. The Rackham mid-nor dwarves in particular have caught my interest and I plan to use them as part of a chaos warrior army.

Also considering alternative models for a wood elf dragon...

DarkstarSabre
21-03-2011, 08:31
I was finally directed to Perry Miniatures, and Im now a very satisfied customer of theirs.

You do realise right that the Perry twins have done some of the most beautiful stuff for GW, including the classic Empire stuff, yes? You're not jumping ship. You're being nostalgic.

shelfunit.
21-03-2011, 08:39
If you play at a GW, or enter a lot of "official" GW tourneys then you are generally going to have to have all GW figs, otherwise - go for the best quality at the price you can afford. A small, but increasing percentage of GWs armies are now, in both price and quality are coming under exteme pressure on these fronts.
I will shortly (well, with my painting turnaround times, maybe only 2-3 years) be fielding a 90%+ Mantic VC/TK either/or army. My LGS is fantastic, but not only doesn't stock mantic, but is also in Switzerland, and with me coming from England, and knowing of Wayland/Maelstrom/Darksphere/etc I just cannot justify paying a 45% premium, I wish I could, but sadly cannot.
As for the OP's last point, I don't think WISIWIG is present yet in fantasy, you just need the majority of models armed correctly.

Daniel36
21-03-2011, 08:41
You do realise right that the Perry twins have done some of the most beautiful stuff for GW, including the classic Empire stuff, yes? You're not jumping ship. You're being nostalgic.

Chuckle! So true!

Urgat
21-03-2011, 08:44
I do, because I like variety. And since I've got over 5 editions of goblin ranges in my army, nothing looks "off", it's more like each gob looks like an actual individual, even when plastics are mixed in the lot. Next minis I plan to buy are those boglins Warpeloque Monkey sculpted.... well, whenever he feels like releasing them, that is :p
Side note, I hate the Perry brothers. (http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html) :p (look at cavatore's face, he's near nerdgasm on that pic, bastard :p)

Dorack
21-03-2011, 08:53
I mostly own GW figs, a couple of character minis from Reaper or Avatars of War. Haven't found non-GW dwarf miniatures that I like, but I can´t wait for AoW to release their plastic Slayers to get a horde of them! I have tried to like Mantic dwarfs, but to no avail...

Chiron
21-03-2011, 09:10
I'm upgrading my Empire army so I have 80% or more of it non-gw in origin (just bought 3 boxes of Perry Models to add to the first)

My TK's have every single character as a non-gw model

neXus6
21-03-2011, 09:14
Sadly for much of the time I've been into wargaming I've only had a GW store to play in so no option but to use GW miniatures.

About 3-4 years ago I decided to pretty much quit with GW, or at least Fantasy and 40k which is all you can play in the story anyway, since then I've really had so much more freedom. Picking up any random models I like the look of and then if the chance arrises stating them or using them as "counts as" in skirmish games.

I often wonder how different and more interesting the previous 15 years would have been if I had been playing in a club rather than under GWs roof all that time.

As for the perry's, I love their work but just wish they'd do more plastics for time periods or countries I care more about. I'm not into napoleonics and there are only 3 medieval boxsets which are all pretty generic european troops.

That said their metals are fantastic and very well priced.

Haravikk
21-03-2011, 09:33
To be honest I actually like a lot more of GW's models than I do those of another company. There are tons of third parties that make great character or monster models to use, but I'm not generally that happy with third party infantry, or while it may be passable it will cost at least the same amount anyway.

The one that I don't get is Mantic stuff, they're a good company, and I hear great things about their game system, but I don't like their models that much, and I certainly don't think that they fit very well with GW models. The undead may be usable for bulking up undead armies (and because GW skeletons could still use some improvement) as they're not too bad, but I find the Dwarfs very odd looking, the elves have enormous heads and I dunno about the orcs, can only seem to find one picture of one but it's again just not quite right.

eldargal
21-03-2011, 09:40
I absolutely do, I have quite a few non-GW models in my Empire army. Only a few in my High Elf army, I had such high hopes for Mantics Elves* to add a bit of variety to it but I really can't stand them. So its just a few Reaper miniatures and the odd sculpt from various other companies.

I might start a Dwarf army soon, going to use some of the AoW dwarfs for that.

*Crude, disproportioned and downright ugly in my opinion. Their Dwarfs are even worse.

jedideinos
21-03-2011, 09:45
I used to play 100% GW. Now, I pick up any model that looks cool or fills a gap in the range, as long as it fits with the look of the army. Last purchase - a female centaur with a staff. Why? Because GW don't do mounted Wood Elf mages.

dominic_star
21-03-2011, 09:50
Mantic RnF elves are a little disappointing, but are infinitely more elf like than GW steroid bulked high elves with stunted height. I've always loved GW higg elf character models though - even the ones with helmets as big as the entire body :D

Ultimate Life Form
21-03-2011, 09:54
No. Why would I?

GW's new idea of pricing stops me from buying even more stuff, which is highly welcome.

mrtn
21-03-2011, 10:55
I've never played in a GW shop, and I'd never accept a "GW only" rule. I currently have minis from Mega Minis, Ral Partha, Heresy and Reaper in my armies, and it would be more if I played any normal human armies, and not such weird ones as skaven and beastmen.

Avian
21-03-2011, 11:49
Really looking forward to some Avatars of War greenies at some point and I have some hopes for Mantic gobbos (don't much like their Orcs).

Max_Killfactor
21-03-2011, 12:23
I sneak some Avatars of War characters in my armies.. and yes I occasionally play at a GW store. No one has said anything and I think the employees kinda look the other way... it's not like I have a whole unit.

I'm tempted by Scibor's and Mantic's Chaos Dwarfs though... since I was planning on using the fan-made armybook, I might not be allowed to use it at GW anyway.

AFnord
21-03-2011, 12:35
I mainly use GW models... though almost all of them are of an older design (my LM & WE are 5th edition). A few non-gw models have managed to sneak into these armies though (like my proxigors).

Wesser
21-03-2011, 13:00
Is perry minis even cheaper?

Looked their site over and for instance it looks like 6 Pavisiers (guys with large shields) costs 6,50 pounds.

Hardly cheaper than GW...and thats without postage and shipping.... hmm

shelfunit.
21-03-2011, 13:05

Looked their site over and for instance it looks like 6 Pavisiers (guys with large shields) costs 6,50 pounds.

Well if you choose to compare the highest price models (which are metal by the way, try getting 6 metal GW models for that price) of Perry and the cheapest GW models then, yes, the prices are not much different...:rolleyes:

cool-kid-on-the-block
21-03-2011, 13:10
i only own 2 non GW models and although i like them a lot(faceless necromancer guy from mantic and AoW khorne herald) i play in my local GW 60% of the time and i feel realy awkward when i get them out there, as well as getting jokey remarks about it not being GW when people ask what model it is. i really wish it wasnt like that but what can you do?:(

Daniel36
21-03-2011, 13:25
I own some non-GW models, but those I use in non-GW games. That is, if you don't count bases and scenery. I own quite a bundle of Micro Art bases and Ziterdes and Tabletop World scenery, because I just like those better.

But as far as Warhammer armies go, I chose to go for her for better or worse, and even though I know Warhammer is not always the loving caring person she should be to me, I still stick with her. I'm a faithful kinda guy! :D

Shimmergloom
21-03-2011, 13:28
Almost all my dark elf characters are non-GW models. GW dark elf characters look awful.

I plan on buying some mantic orcs once I see some good pics. Hopefully they'll be more like the bsb than the 3-up orc.

If the 3-up orc is the norm, then I'll still get at least one box of 30 to beef up my 2 choppa orc unit.

If they look better, then I can see myself getting 2-3 boxes and making a spear unit as well.

Like Avian, I'm looking forward to seeing their goblins as well. Mantic could clean up if they made some good goblin models. And I am assuming they are going to clean up pretty good on the orcs already.

A friend of mine told me once that whenever a company comes out and has some sort of models that can pass for chaos warriors or knights, then that's when GW is going to truly be in trouble in the fantasy market. I haven't seen that yet. Although all the recent vikings releases from company after company are a good start for replacing marauders.

BigbyWolf
21-03-2011, 13:37
I own some of the Mantic Revenant Knights (As I wanted a horde of Black Knights and was fed up with converting the old (OLD) Undead Horsemen into BKs), and 10 of them mixed in quite well with my customized units. Other than that I’m pretty much strictly GW/ Forgeworld. I haven’t had a close look at the Mantic Orcs, but should they be OK I may add 60 of them or so to my collection.

neXus6
21-03-2011, 13:57
No. Why would I?

GW's new idea of pricing stops me from buying even more stuff, which is highly welcome.

Well ULF, you could buy the same number of better priced models, even the odd limited edition slightly more expensive model, you like and give the money you save to charity...

Just an idea.
:p

i only own 2 non GW models and although i like them a lot(faceless necromancer guy from mantic and AoW khorne herald) i play in my local GW 60% of the time and i feel realy awkward when i get them out there, as well as getting jokey remarks about it not being GW when people ask what model it is. i really wish it wasnt like that but what can you do?:(

Wait...your local GW actually lets you USE non-GW models? All the stores I know of have pretty much full on 100% GW only rules, save for the odd little conversion piece or stuff you've sculpted yourself.

Price of one plastic Empire State Trooper is £1.55, remember they have postage too or travel fair to get to your local store.

Price of one metal Perry Infantry figure is £1.08, which will most likely be a better sculpt and have higher quality control.

Price of one plastic Perry Infantry figure is £0.45.

Enough said really.

rubicon999
21-03-2011, 14:07
GW pricing has gotten out of control. I love the hobby and the hordes of minis. I have 8 army's and I consistantly buy models that I think look cool. Fortunately for my opponents, I play stuff I think looks cool too. $40 for 10 High Elf plastic, whatever, is not happening. My business will be going elswhere. Everyone has their threshold of pain. No matter how wealthy you are, $4 for a plastic mini is still $4 for a plasitc mini.

Dai-Mongar
21-03-2011, 14:23
I'll use other companies' minis as long as they don't look out of place. By and large though, I use non-GW minis for non-GW games.

Goldenwolf
21-03-2011, 15:14
I try to use GW minis, as my time for painting and modeling is less these days, and I want to be able to use my stuff at a tournament if I play.

I will admit that a lot of the Mantic and other companies minis are great though.

Jimmy Invictus
21-03-2011, 15:18

LOL! Yes I have a fair number of the old Empire sculpts by Michael and Alan, but until fairly recently I wasn't aware they had started their own company. I find I prefer their WotR range-and the new Mercenaries box is excellent-to current GW statetroops.

nedius
21-03-2011, 15:20
As a nid fan, I'm mostly stuck with GW...

My IG are a mix of cadians with Perry Napoleonic bits (packs, drums and such).

I can't do any more than that as the only place I play is at my LGW.

Grimmeth
21-03-2011, 15:32
Always gone pure GW before due to only playing in store.

However, after seeing the Mantic stuff in person (the pictures really don't do it justice) I'm slowly starting an Undead force out of their models and some Avatars of War for the Characters - need something to represent the Varghulf, Black Coach and Corpse Cart (though may try to convert this out of bits and a couple of catapults.) though.

Odin
21-03-2011, 15:54
I've not used non-GW minis yet, but that will change. I've got a few AoW minis to build at some stage, I'm getting the ultraforge treewoman, and the Mantic chimera. More likely to follow. Hoping AoW will come out with a Marauder plastic kit which matches their original Marauder metal model.

ColShaw
21-03-2011, 17:15
I've built a 1500-point Beastman army themed on the Chronicles of Narnia, made almost entirely of Reaper Miniatures (bears, great cats, wolves, etc.)

Toshiro
21-03-2011, 17:42
100% Gw, I really like their models, even though I think they cost a bit too much.

mrtn
21-03-2011, 17:47
I've built a 1500-point Beastman army themed on the Chronicles of Narnia, made almost entirely of Reaper Miniatures (bears, great cats, wolves, etc.)

That sounds really interesting, do you have any pictures or a painting log?
:)

Okuto
21-03-2011, 17:58
good I'm not the only one who hates the empire state troops of this edition.......refuse to buy any of them.

Anywho yes I sometimes mix and match, my empire has a few pike and shot models in there and I pondered the English civil war roundheads as pistoliers/reiters

But I usually have no prob at long as there's at least 25% GW there. That way people don't get confused

lachlin
21-03-2011, 18:12
I (and most of the players at our shop) use majority GW models, but have other manufacturers models in out armies.

Oakwolf
21-03-2011, 18:18
Back then, Games Workshop was amongst the best miniature company in terms of quality. There wasn't much question in using the models. One just has to look at what else we had to buy in the early 90ies.

It always seemed to be one of the few justification for the prices too, at least in my mind.

But since 2000, there's been countless producers of superb miniatures, sometimes unshamefully aimed at being used in GW games. By now, games workshop doesn't have the edge over metal miniatures anymore, except the rare gem (Lelith hesperax being one).They boast good plastic ranges though sometimes the aesthetic choices have put me away (new demonettes for example).

When i look for miniatures now, i always check for other ranges first (including FW).

Tymell
21-03-2011, 18:19
I do, because I never play in GW stores or official tournaments.

Hjiryon
21-03-2011, 18:54
I don't play official tournaments - I firmly believe that non-comped WHFB is about as interesting as repeatedly hitting your face against a wall. Give me WM/H any day of the week for that sort of play. Or Urban War. Or Confrontation 3.5. Or wargods of Aegyptus... I guess anything else I've played but a GW product for competitive play (okay, that's not true; confrontation 4.0 was horrible).
WHFB is good for a fun & pretzels game, though, and I like the background, so it's not like I don't play the game, but house rules are needed.

That in mind, I tend to buy the miniatures I like best, and I don't really care who makes them. Incidentally, that often means I will not be buying GW stuff, because honestly, they're outdone by so many competing companies in terms of quality it's not even funny. How they retain a firm grip on the miniature market, I'll never understand.

bluemage
21-03-2011, 19:45
I've started using some other companies minitures. Its just silly to pay GW prices when there happens to be an alternative miniture that looks better and costs less. I won't be able to use my whole collection at a GW but so be it. There are better places to play. And as for tournaments that aren't run by GW where they enforced a 100% GW model rule, ******* em. I'll play in a different tournament.

Max_Killfactor
21-03-2011, 21:07
GW pricing has gotten out of control. I love the hobby and the hordes of minis. I have 8 army's and I consistantly buy models that I think look cool. Fortunately for my opponents, I play stuff I think looks cool too. $40 for 10 High Elf plastic, whatever, is not happening. My business will be going elswhere. Everyone has their threshold of pain. No matter how wealthy you are, $4 for a plastic mini is still $4 for a plasitc mini.

I agree. They finally reached my limit. I would always kinda roll my eyes in the past when people complained (I'm a jerk irl) but lately they've priced me out of buying new models. The DE beasts models and the GKs coming in boxes of 5s were the last straws. I bought some metal GKs second hand and I'm simply not using beasts.

The only new models from GW I'm going to spend cash on will be models I just want to collect because they look cool. I don't foresee myself starting new armies anymore, I just can't afford another ~$450 in order to have a decent army.

I was always the guy that would jump to new armies or upgrade his old models when the new ones came out. Now I'm trying to tell myself that my old Dark Eldar look good enough :wtf:

HRM
21-03-2011, 21:42
I always play at a GW store - the "F"LGS aren't friendly at all, more like a bunch of disillusioned, surly dudes that complain about GWs corporate policies. Whatever man, I guess if your store didn't suck, then the alpha dog wouldn't be running you into the ground, now would he?

I've thought of trying to start my own club - the constant sales pitches and forced enthusiasm of the GW staff are starting to get annoying.

Which is a roundabout way of saying yes, mostly all Citadel minis.

Kalarn
21-03-2011, 22:05
Haven't bought from GW for a while now, keep considering it but just can't justify the price when I have the box in hand.

That said there's loads of great mini companies out there to discover. I'm really liking the look of Infinity (taking the plunge soon) and have been amazed to find that I like the background for infinity as much as 40k, maybe more. Recently have bought almost exclusively from Mantic.

Mantic have a 15% off sale on till tomorrow Midnight due to Ronnie's Birthday so I'll probably order their Advance Order Orc Army deal. So it'll come to £85 for 133 minis (inc characters). Works out that GW is nearly 3x that price for their equivalent.

The way I see it, it's your money so game with the models you like. I've decided to finally enter some tournaments this year, I'll just avoid the GW only ones. Pretty sure that Maelstrom are relaxed about it.

neXus6
21-03-2011, 22:08
I'm getting the ultraforge treewoman

Brilliant choice Odin, I got mine a few months back, one of the most beautiful large models I've seen...not to mention amazingly well priced too.
:cool:

I always play at a GW store - the "F"LGS aren't friendly at all, more like a bunch of disillusioned, surly dudes that complain about GWs corporate policies.

As opposed to GW stores where if you mention another company you get asked to stop talking, never mind if you dare to take another companies miniatures in there.
:rolleyes:

Gwyddyon
21-03-2011, 22:19
good I'm not the only one who hates the empire state troops of this edition.......refuse to buy any of them.

Anywho yes I sometimes mix and match, my empire has a few pike and shot models in there and I pondered the English civil war roundheads as pistoliers/reiters

But I usually have no prob at long as there's at least 25% GW there. That way people don't get confused

Definitely not the only one. The most recent handgunners in particular are laughably bad and a massive step backwards.

Sithi
21-03-2011, 22:35
Not to side track, but I'm wondering if you have the same experience I've had with Avatars of War. Looking at the Greens AoW stuff is amazing and fits GW style, but I've had quite a number of bad experiences with the actual product of theirs. The "consumer" models are nowhere near the Greens, or the painted up models on their site. The details are poorly defined and the parts fitting are problematic. Its almost like their casting is not up to snuff, or I got really unlucky with poor casting. Although I'm not sure its the latter since I've bought 4 different models on 4 different occasions, and each one has the same quality issues.

popisdead
21-03-2011, 23:40
Yes, often to play with a better model (a la Beastmen) or just a different model cause I like it.

Also bought the BaneBeasts Ghorgon which I'll use.

Beastlord
22-03-2011, 00:40
My chaos army is about 50:50 GW:Heresy - their blights make much better plaguebearers than GWs awful efforts, and they have great demon princes and greater demon alternatives. Love the new GW bloodcrushers though.... and the skaven. 'Course this means I cant play my chaos army in a store, but as its a real chaos army, not a newfangled carefully segregated and regimented warrior/demon/beast army, I couldn't use it now anyway....

Jimmy Invictus
22-03-2011, 04:20
Well, it seems from the responses that I'm not alone in looking at other companies-and as consumers, we should welcome competition as that ultimately means better sculpts and competitive prices; in this economic climate everyone could use a break.

It seems a large number of you play at GW stores. Is the climate there really as bad as some of you have intimated? It mut be said Ive never been to a GW store; in my home city, we have two awesome LGSs ( Dragon's Lair and Battleforge Games, if you're in Austin, TX, go check them out ) and if there are any miniature restrictions for in-store events, Im unaware of them. Most of my gaming has been at friends' houses so it hasn't really been an issue-plus we can drink!:D

And yes, I prefer the Perry handgunners from the Mercenaries set over the current GW Handgunners, although FW just came out with a handgunner resin kit for their Empire Landship that I like quite a bit.

Zoring
22-03-2011, 04:30
For human armies there is so much really awesome historical stuff out there it's a shame not to use it! Also gives people a chance to do Estalian/Tilean, Catayan or Nippon stuff :) My wip Empire army has had Perry, Assault Group, 1st Corps and Crusader miniatures all purchased for it, and not one looks out of place.

Vandelan
22-03-2011, 04:40
If I don't have a good idea for scratch-building a model, I usually use the GW one. Of course, I often find myself using GW models, except in the cases where the GW models are just plain ugly or too expensive and metal.

I have no qualms with people using minis that aren't made by GW... if they're for a unit that GW doesn't have out or the model is too expensive, etc. If someone is running a rank and file unit out of lego figures, I'm going to voice my discontent with their treatment of the hobby.

Jimmy Invictus
22-03-2011, 04:43
For human armies there is so much really awesome historical stuff out there it's a shame not to use it! Also gives people a chance to do Estalian/Tilean, Catayan or Nippon stuff :) My wip Empire army has had Perry, Assault Group, 1st Corps and Crusader miniatures all purchased for it, and not one looks out of place.

Z, I couldn't agree more! While I am using GW cav, artillery, and characters alongside my Perry statetroops, I also picked up WotR Artillery, cav, and Yorkist command for WAB...so for half (literally) the price, I picked up an army for multiple rulesets...and Rick Priestley's Hail Caesar just got released, I believe...

Jimmy Invictus
22-03-2011, 04:50
If I don't have a good idea for scratch-building a model, I usually use the GW one. Of course, I often find myself using GW models, except in the cases where the GW models are just plain ugly or too expensive and metal.

I have no qualms with people using minis that aren't made by GW... if they're for a unit that GW doesn't have out or the model is too expensive, etc. If someone is running a rank and file unit out of lego figures, I'm going to voice my discontent with their treatment of the hobby.

LOL! If someone actually fielded Lego troops, I honestly don't know how I would react. I recently saw pics of a guy who created a Necron army out of cut up GW sprues, and of course I can't find it atm...his Spruecrons looked like someone armed very pissed off minimalist manequins...it was actually pretty creative, guy even had swarms.

Grimmeth
22-03-2011, 10:39
LOL! If someone actually fielded Lego troops, I honestly don't know how I would react. I recently saw pics of a guy who created a Necron army out of cut up GW sprues, and of course I can't find it atm...his Spruecrons looked like someone armed very pissed off minimalist manequins...it was actually pretty creative, guy even had swarms.

So you know how expensive it would be to get a regiment of Lego models? They're not particulary cheap!

Oh, and these spruecrons?

http://soundscreen.com/necrons/IMG_0126.jpg

HRM
22-03-2011, 10:56
So you know how expensive it would be to get a regiment of Lego models? They're not particulary cheap!

That's actually awesome.

Rosstifer
22-03-2011, 11:25
Agreed, I'd play them just for sheer hilarity.

Lars Porsenna
22-03-2011, 14:50
Depends on what army, but for the most part it's usually all GW. GW has spent a lot of effort in making the visual aesthetics for the armies I collect unique. As the #1 choice in what army I play or build is how much I like the minis, the visual aesthetic is very important. That's not to say I don't use other manufacturer's models on occasion (for a while I was using Harlequin dwarfs as the core of that army), but the figures have to fit in with the overall aesthetic of the army, or it simply does not get used. As I do not play any "human" armies in 40K I have no real need to wander far afield to look for alternative minis (though I did play Brets and Empire using mostly historicals at one time -- because I didn't like the official minis -- and probably could do so again if I so desired). With 40K is it even more difficult, with 100% of all my figures GW-pure.

Now I am not a "GW-only" gamer, and have invested in a number of minis games. Nor am I a GW-denier, that jumps ship as soon as the new shiney comes along. I feel there is plenty of room in my life for both Fantasy and 40K, as well as Infinity, Battletech, SFB, Historicals (in 2 different scales!), etc

Damon.

Jimmy Invictus
22-03-2011, 20:51

LOL yes that would be them! Best part is, they are official GW...I hope he runs them in a tournament!

HRM
22-03-2011, 21:33
As opposed to GW stores where if you mention another company you get asked to stop talking, never mind if you dare to take another companies miniatures in there.
:rolleyes:

I hear these stories all the time. I've yet to experience it, though. Frankly I doubt the truth of some of them.

Well actually, I'll rephrase that. They DO like you to be at least 75-80% Citadel minis. You NEVER get crapped on for discussing another company, though.

scarletsquig
23-03-2011, 00:50
I have an mantic undead army.. currently unassembled, but I will be using it for tomb kings when they are released. I bought it in serious bulk, the best value army deal mantic offers (the starter box) from a 25% off online retailer. End result was each model costing about 25p. I also have over 200 dwarfs... wasn't particularly interested in having a dwarf army, but I worked out it was only costing me about an extra £35 to get those 200 dwarfs along with the undead (compared to getting the undead on their own) so I figured why not.. got the models and ended up quite liking the dwarfs as well. :)

Mantic undead army has got plastic spearman, swordsman, bowman, elite infantry, cavalry and catapults.

All I'll need from GW to round off the army is a few chariots and special units.

I should be able to double-duty it as a vampire counts army (mantic also has plastic ghouls and zombies) if I stick with a Lahmian theme.

It's not the prices of one-off units from GW that hurt, it's the price of the 100-200 infantry models that you need (especially for 8th edition) that really catapults the cost of an army to ridiculous amounts... I once wrote an empire army list, realised that it would cost over £500 to buy and canned the idea. Can't see myself ever buying the bulk of a fantasy army from GW again as long as the mantic option is looking pretty good.. and their undead do look good, the ghouls, zombies and cavalry are much better than GW's.

Malorian
23-03-2011, 00:53
I have a few avatars of war character models, but I can't see myself going with entire units.

I came close with the AoW berzerkers (slayers) but in the end I backed away based on ethics.

Might be twisted ethics, but it's what I believe in.

On the flip side I will play against anyone, no matter what models they have, as long as they are clear what they are or they don't mind me asking over and over if it isn't.

Jimmy Invictus
23-03-2011, 03:56
Mal, you could argue that all ethics are twisted ethics :evilgrin:...Im in the same camp;I don't care what you play with as long as I know what units are what...and you're not using green M+Ms for your Orcs or something. Im sympathetic to the £500 Empire quandary, as thats one reason I went with the Perrys-that and the minis are dead sexy.

Scarletsquig, *who* is your avatar? Speaking of dead sexy!

Dyrnwyn
23-03-2011, 04:44
The GW Dryads are incredibly nice looking. However, I find their Treekin, Treeman, and Wild Rider models lacking. With prices the way they are, and my objections to the current state of GW's direction with their games and fluff, I have no problem purchasing from other ranges to supplement my army. Currently, I buy all my models either from other ranges, or second hand. There isn't a GW in my entire state, and they are exceedingly unlikely to open one here, so I don't see any problems with it.

Grimmeth
23-03-2011, 09:26
Mal, you could argue that all ethics are twisted ethics :evilgrin:...Im in the same camp;I don't care what you play with as long as I know what units are what...and you're not using green M+Ms for your Orcs or something. Im sympathetic to the £500 Empire quandary, as thats one reason I went with the Perrys-that and the minis are dead sexy.

Scarletsquig, *who* is your avatar? Speaking of dead sexy!

Isn't it Megan Fox?

Anyway, I'd quite like to play someone who used Green M&M's for their Orcs, but only if I get to eat the casualties as a sacrifice to the Great Maw!

neXus6
23-03-2011, 09:58
Well actually, I'll rephrase that. They DO like you to be at least 75-80% Citadel minis. You NEVER get crapped on for discussing another company, though.

YOU might never have had it happen, but I have.

Of course there are a large number of things you have to factor in, such as the staff themselves, how busy the shop is, and the tone of the discussion itself.

For example having a talk about pricing and sculpt quality while the shop is full of kids and parents at the weekend will likely result in you being asked to stop or leave.

On the other hand just a couple of you nattering about conversion ideas using other companies parts in a totally dead shop is less likely to cause any problems unless one of the staff is a 100% GW only diehard fanboy.

It can be hard to talk about "all GW stores" as only some of their rules are company wide things, others will be up to the individual area or store manager.

From the creativity side of things I do feel that GW stores are restrictive but I also fully accept that even GW stores with gaming rooms are still company properties and it is fair enough for them to only allow their stuff. It is just unfortunate that it doesn't nurture an environment unrestricted creation for both rules and modeling, especially in the younger kids.

However if there isn't a club, or enough room for a person to have their own gaming table then a GW store is better than nothing, and can get people into wargaming who will then expand outside of GW if the opportunity arises.

HRM
23-03-2011, 10:31
YOU might never have had it happen, but I have.

Of course there are a large number of things you have to factor in, such as the staff themselves, how busy the shop is, and the tone of the discussion itself.

For example having a talk about pricing and sculpt quality while the shop is full of kids and parents at the weekend will likely result in you being asked to stop or leave.

On the other hand just a couple of you nattering about conversion ideas using other companies parts in a totally dead shop is less likely to cause any problems unless one of the staff is a 100% GW only diehard fanboy.

It can be hard to talk about "all GW stores" as only some of their rules are company wide things, others will be up to the individual area or store manager.

From the creativity side of things I do feel that GW stores are restrictive but I also fully accept that even GW stores with gaming rooms are still company properties and it is fair enough for them to only allow their stuff. It is just unfortunate that it doesn't nurture an environment unrestricted creation for both rules and modeling, especially in the younger kids.

However if there isn't a club, or enough room for a person to have their own gaming table then a GW store is better than nothing, and can get people into wargaming who will then expand outside of GW if the opportunity arises.

All fair points, to be sure. Like I said, the GW store ain't, like, the IDEAL place to game. One "internet horror story" that is definitely true of my local Gee-Dub is the sales guys buzzing around you like voracious gnats - tell ya what, jackhole, I'll buy what I feel like, how 'bout THAT one?

One thing that may work in my favor is that, in my store - and this is only my understanding, of course, as I'm not privvy to hiring policies - the manager isn't a "wargaming" guy, he's a "business" guy. My part of Canada was never known for having the strongest economy to begin with, and this guy understands that the nanosecond he starts ticking off customers and getting a bad rep, well, they might be done. Specialty stores around here are dropping off like flies. No-one has any money for this stuff anymore, really. Hence, a lot of stuff goes on that - so I've heard - isn't supposed to be tolerated.

I just can't imagine that, in a desperate economy like we have here, anyone working in a luxury, specialty retail market like GW wouldn't completely bend over backwards to clean my toenails for my business, so to speak.

Frankly
23-03-2011, 10:36
I love it when people use other models, its the way to go!

loveless
23-03-2011, 15:53
I'll use other models if I like them. I wouldn't touch Mantic's skeletons with a 10-foot-pole, but their zombies are to die for. Unfortunately, 8th isn't really the best place for my dream Vampire army, so I'm focusing on other things - namely Chaos and Skaven.

With those 2, everything is GW. I've got more Chaos characters than I know what to do with. I use Gors for Marauders, Morghur and Malagor as Sorcerers (slightly converted), and I'll probably end up using GW Minotaurs for something in the army (I'm one of the freaks that likes them).

Skaven, well, I haven't seen many good stand-ins for things. I don't like the Verminlord's rules, but I've seen some good conversions based on other manufacturers' models (one based on Privateer's Extreme Warpwolf was especially awesome, if not a bit out of character).

Long story short - I don't mind using other company minis. The problem is finding minis that really fit my style for the WHFB armies I want to play.

astornfleshlay
23-03-2011, 16:07
I'm 100% GW models right now...
BUT...
Because this hobby is just WAY too expensive (and I don't feel like spending $100+ per 30+model unit), I use custom "tokens" to fill out the back ranks of my units (Keep in mind I only play friendly games, and I obviously wouldn't/couldn't do this in a tournament setting)

I print out full-colour tokens I've made (in various sizes for EVERY base size you could ever need), glue them to some fairly thick card stock (I purchased that for about $0.75 per page), cut them out, and then I'm done.

What's fantastic about my idea is that I can buy ONE box of a unit for, say, $35. Paint it, fill in the back ranks with tokens, try it out (or test it) and BAM...my army isn't cramped by my wallet.

Break it down this way:
Say I wanted 2 huge units of 50 Savage Orcs.
That would roughly be (after Canadian taxes) $200 PER unit (totally $400).
Now I could do the same thing for a total of $70 using tokens.

Either way, it affords me to start new armies easily, play lists that I actually want to play (instead of my lack-of-models determining what I can field), and just generally have more fun with the game while trying new things out.

My only rule within my group is that you at least have to have 1 box of whatever the unit is to field it (so you know what you're fighting. No empty "bases")

Cheers

Urgat
23-03-2011, 16:14
PM Tokamak, I'm sure he's going to love it :p (edit: I prefer to be clear, seriously, don't, it's a joke, he won't :p)

astornfleshlay
23-03-2011, 16:23
PM Tokamak, I'm sure he's going to love it :p (edit: I prefer to be clear, seriously, don't, it's a joke, he won't :p)

lol
Gotcha :)