PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Ladies?

unknownps
21-03-2011, 05:34
What ever happened to the Ladies?

where is Alrielle and the wood elf lady? (name eludes me)

where are the queens? got plenty of kings emperors warlords etc

are they ever likely to remake the old maiden guard figures?
even as a collectors only bit that would be cool

Jimmy Invictus
21-03-2011, 06:28
The Ladies are alive and kickin'....lemme see, off the top of my head you've got Damsels and that Aquatic Tart in Bretonnia; Morathi, assorted sorceresses, and MY favorites, the witch elves in Naggaroth; in the Empire we had an honest to goodness Empress. but on the downside we can blame that godawful robohorse on a female engineer; zooming south, we have the Lahmian bloodline...now theres a whole sisterhood who know the meaning of "oral fixation;" um...Lizardmen...ok, well there are the spawning pools but unless thats a metaphor stretched to the point of torture, the most we can say is there must be lizardwomen as well; the Greenskins turned out to be fungus (at least its hinted strongly as such), which means the warhammer world has the meanest case of athletes foot ever; the Skaven....uh....go read the AB, better you read it than hear it from me; Chaos, Slaaneshi anything, Tzeentch anythings possible, Khorne has a female SC, Nurgle no way in hell do I even wanna know about female Nurgle anything...there might be female TKs, I would suggest getting them a shitton of Lubriderm asap if one ever turns up.

And of course, as far as I know the female SCs are alive and well in Athel Loren.

ftayl5
21-03-2011, 07:21
...there might be female TKs, I would suggest getting them a shitton of Lubriderm asap if one ever turns up.

There are, some very influential and powerful ones too.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
21-03-2011, 07:26
The OP was asking about minis not fluff - there are probably a lot peeasant girls getting ravaged out there too.

But indeed, it looks as is GW prefers women less dressed - such as daemonettes and witch elves - the rest just faded from existence :p

Urgat
21-03-2011, 08:59
You count daemonettes as women, you? Diaz ones maybe, but the current ones? I'd actually say GW is really, really light on the chainmail bikini syndrom.

Artinam
21-03-2011, 10:01
Sisters of Sigmar used to have some decent models.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
21-03-2011, 10:12
The only common female minis around for Fantasy as far as I know are the Wood Elves, as you have female bodies and heads in the Glade Guard and Riders kits and plenty of metal women as Wardancers.

wizbix
21-03-2011, 10:18
Bring back the Elven sorceres on a unicorn, she once downed nagash for me. I always liked her - not in that way though! :)

Mandalay
21-03-2011, 10:25
Release clone blood elf / night elf rogues, sate your thirst on purist tears and watch total sales up 20% in a year.

AlexHolker
21-03-2011, 11:45
This is the thing that annoys me most about GW at the moment. They had the opportunity to make a plastic kit for the awesome Diaznettes, but instead they chose to bury them and bring back the ugly hermaphrodite look. They haven't exactly been tripping over themselves to bring any other all-female unit to plastic, either.

patchy
21-03-2011, 12:05
around half of dark elf warriors are female too.

Every time GW has redone a army book for a while now there is new units so maybe they will bring maiden guard back again..

xxRavenxx
21-03-2011, 12:24
The thing to remember is that armies in the rough period that fantasy exists in would not have included women. This has crept into the fantasy theme, and means that human armies aren't going to be bringing any females to the table unless they're magic (Damsels), or have super powers (That khorne woman, whos name I forget).

Beastmen don't get on with women for reasons I can't put my finger on...

Orks dont have them.

Dwarves... god knows.

Skaven women are huge brood-queen blob things living in mines, it seems.

Lizards don't show off gender.

Skeletons don't have boobs.

So you're pretty much left with the three flavours of elves, who seem to have a strong female equality culture going on.

Dorack
21-03-2011, 12:31
There is at least one Dwarf Queen model, but it's a pretty horrible miniature I must warn you.

Leogun_91
21-03-2011, 13:54
We don't have many but GW might bring back some and add some new, those ladies you mention could use new models anyways so we might be better of waiting until we get cool models and rules for them.

Currently we have modelwise:
Bretonnia has 4 damsels, the fey enchantress and Repanse the Lyonesse: 6 Ladies
Daemons: Lets not go there, we don't know how it works and frankly I feel I'm better off not knowing.
Darkelfs have almost as many female as male character models (and interestingly two out of three beastmasters on foot are female) the warriors have some female bodies and harpies seem girly (anyone know anything about their reproduction?), the witchelfs are girls and one of the boltthrower crew is a woman.
Dwarfs: Have one dwarf queen model (Queen Helga)
Highelfs: One female mage
Lizardmen: No female models it seems.
Ogres: One female maneater disguised as a man (that's even slightly worse than the Highelfs)
Orcs and Goblins: Are genderless but worth to mention is that the only character with a defined gender is a female (without a model, two interactive cookies for her name). The giant model is a man and the trolls nobody knows what they are. (Do trolls breastfeed their kids? Maybe they just rip off a part of their body and gives it to the child)
Skaven: No female characters and we should be thankful for that.
Empire: No female models (That's worse than ogres)
Tombkings: Khalida, but except for Settra the rest could be mostly any gender though.
Vampire Counts: Some Lahmians and a vampire countess of unknown bloodline and the Corpsecart necromancer could be an ugly hag using a witch archetype.
Warriors of Chaos: Dechala the Denied one. There is hope to gain the mighty former warrior queen Valkia though.
Woodelfs: The sisters of Twilight, Drycha, A woodelf lord with spear, a wardancer lord, two spellsingers, a BSB and at least one female model in every unit except warhawk riders and wildriders (I belive the latter is justified by fluff but I'm not sure)

So you're pretty much left with the three flavours of elves, who seem to have a strong female equality culture going on.Highelfs aren't high on equality, their leaders are almost exclusively men. Woodelfs are high on equality but prefer female leaders as they see them as following the tradition set by Alrielle and the fact that they see them as downright superior leaders. Darkelfs are the closest to being equal as there only ruthlessness and skill seem to matter, some minus points for magicians only getting to be girls and the witch elf order killing male applicants (and many other men due to no man being foolish enough to apply to join them).

Andy p
21-03-2011, 14:07
There is at least one Dwarf Queen model, but it's a pretty horrible miniature I must warn you.

Is that the one which looks like an opera singer?

Leogun_91
21-03-2011, 14:10
Is that the one which looks like an opera singer?It is, her name is Helga.

Jinxies
21-03-2011, 14:30
Also Banshee's are female and I'm pretty certain the Dryads are too. Other than those I think Legoun_91 covered most of them :)

Squigkikka
21-03-2011, 14:43
Women? On the battlefield and not in the kitchen?

What are you, daft man?

AlexHolker
21-03-2011, 14:49
The thing to remember is that armies in the rough period that fantasy exists in would not have included women.
Oh, well that changes everything! I guess I'll have to give up my dreams of an all-female Paladin army, if a bunch of dead Frenchmen would disapprove.

Scallat
21-03-2011, 15:38
Yeah, Dark Elves are the best army when it comes to gender equality. Even the spearmen and crossbow men models have a number of female torsos on the sprues. I guess because you don't tell a Dark Elf woman she can't go to war. Unless you really want to get murdered.

N810
21-03-2011, 15:58
Sadd to say that the inaproaply named Lizardmen arre all genderless geneticly engineered beings.
The spawing pools actualy make Lizardmen usualy many at once.

Ps the less said about the ever pregnant Skaven females the better. :p

Bloody Nunchucks
21-03-2011, 17:05
there used to be many more female models that older gamers use in their armies. i dont know why but GW seems to have been weeding them out for a while now :(

theunwantedbeing
21-03-2011, 17:19
Ps the less said about the ever pregnant Skaven females the better. :p

Closest thing ruleswise to one would be a hellpit abomination.

VoodooJanus
21-03-2011, 17:27
Ogres had a terrible, terrible female model, IIRC

xxRavenxx
21-03-2011, 17:36
there used to be many more female models that older gamers use in their armies. i dont know why but GW seems to have been weeding them out for a while now :(

Because chainmail bikini armor is a tired fantasy cliche that companies would do well to avoid, and GW know that their sculptors won't be able to resist?

Warhammer is best off without females unless you want Furry breasted rat women (http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/wallpapers/Wallpaper_InkEyesServantOfOni_1280x960.jpg) creeping in. And if you do, then seek help! :P

dragonet111
21-03-2011, 18:16
Ogres had a terrible, terrible female model, IIRC

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440075a&prodId=prod1040016

Well it's an ogre in the end :).

There is Valkia, if it can considered as a woman.

AFnord
21-03-2011, 18:32
The warhammer setting is, general, not high on gender equality, and this is probably by design. It tries to roughly place humanitys social evolution in a time where you usually would not see women being the leader, or taking place on the battlefield (there were exceptions in the real world, and there are exceptions in warhammer).
When females are used in fantasy games, they are far too often turned into super models with chainmail bikinis, and that does not suit any serious fantasy setting at all.

Urgat
21-03-2011, 18:37
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440075a&prodId=prod1040016

Well it's an ogre in the end :).

Got to point out the beard is optionnal...

Cherrystone
21-03-2011, 19:11
Im surprised that Ogre culture is also concerned about the sight of female nipples in public too, just like the human realms.

Urgat
21-03-2011, 19:13
That's because you obviously have no clue about the maneaters' background. But if you browse through the minis on the website, you'll get it even w/o reading the book.

bluemage
21-03-2011, 19:49
I think the main reason there aren't a lot of GW female minis is because most of them look awful. Quite a few of them look like men in drag.

Bloody Nunchucks
21-03-2011, 20:44
actually i think that the women models that GW used to make for elves and humans were kinda cool

xxRavenxx
21-03-2011, 22:37
Quite a few of them look like men in drag.

Rubbish... (http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics5/img400bf9f094a31.jpg)

Oh... wait :(

R-Love
22-03-2011, 00:33
That's because you obviously have no clue about the maneaters' background. But if you browse through the minis on the website, you'll get it even w/o reading the book.

In fairness, half the Maneaters have their nipples showing. And lets be honest, does anyone actually want to see more ogre nipples? Really?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
22-03-2011, 00:41
And lets be honest, does anyone actually want to see more ogre nipples? Really?

Erm...Ah....Hmmm....Oh damn it :D.

Urgat
22-03-2011, 13:06
In fairness, half the Maneaters have their nipples showing. And lets be honest, does anyone actually want to see more ogre nipples? Really?

But the other half conformed. Good average for ogres :) (I was not exactly telling him to look at the nipples especially, anyway). It's not really the nipples that bother me... but she has... well, latex gloves come to mind when you watch the mini :D (mmh..., not sure the expression translates too well in english :/)

Arnizipal
22-03-2011, 13:19

where is Alrielle and the wood elf lady? (name eludes me)
They are aspects of the Elves godess of peace. The battlefield is no place for her :

Urgat
22-03-2011, 13:24
Well Ariel seems to be quite a potent combat machine if the fluff is to be believed.

Drongol
22-03-2011, 15:47
This is the thing that annoys me most about GW at the moment. They had the opportunity to make a plastic kit for the awesome Diaznettes, but instead they chose to bury them and bring back the ugly hermaphrodite look. They haven't exactly been tripping over themselves to bring any other all-female unit to plastic, either.

Because, as we all know, exposed boobs = awesome, right?

Especially in a game that markets to teenagers. Man, those were great, and totally appropriate miniatures!

Urgat
22-03-2011, 16:21
edit: hargh, never mind.

The SkaerKrow
23-03-2011, 17:33
Morathi has them all chained up in her summer home. :p

samael
24-03-2011, 09:58
Because, as we all know, exposed boobs = awesome, right?

To be perfectly frank,Yes . :D

Especially in a game that markets to teenagers. Man, those were great, and totally appropriate miniatures!

Sorry but this is just one step away from a "Does no one think about the children"

Also, it's not a valid reason imho.
If you go that way the wholesale slaughter taking place in the game and background would be way more in apropriate in that case.

But I have noticed the last couple of years that said wholesale slaughter is way more acceptable than an exposed bit of flesh (not to be confused with falling out entrails which would be ok again :rolleyes:) not only in the game but in life in general.

But that's a different discussion :)

Thénon
24-03-2011, 13:56
Warhammer is best off without females unless you want Furry breasted rat women (http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/mtgcom/wallpapers/Wallpaper_InkEyesServantOfOni_1280x960.jpg) creeping in. And if you do, then seek help! :P

:wtf:..... :shifty:........I might need help

spetswalshe
25-03-2011, 01:17
One day, maybe in the next Empire Free Company box, there will be a plastic head, torso and whatnot that are female, and which do not involve thongs or breast-plates. They will sell out immediately and someone at GW will say 'Hey... these sold really well. Why didn't anyone tell us people wanted this?'

And Warseer will scream.

Drongol
25-03-2011, 02:34
Sorry but this is just one step away from a "Does no one think about the children"

Also, it's not a valid reason imho.
If you go that way the wholesale slaughter taking place in the game and background would be way more in apropriate in that case.

You're right. It's one step away. But it's a big step.

A game which markets to a young audience that has no means of income aside from parents would do well to avoid offending said parents. Having a bunch of little bare-breasted "pleasure daemons" really isn't the best way to convince Mommy and Daddy to spend a few hundred dollars for little Jimmy to start playing.

Plus, it makes you look creepy when you pull out your army.

AlexHolker
25-03-2011, 03:25
One day, maybe in the next Empire Free Company box, there will be a plastic head, torso and whatnot that are female, and which do not involve thongs or breast-plates.
There are already kits that get one female per four soldiers. The new Dark Eldar even have 6 in 10. What would get me buying miniatures again is a kit with all female soldiers, so that someone who wants an all female army for once can do so just as easily as someone making one of GW's many all male armies.

theJ
25-03-2011, 17:55
One day, maybe in the next Empire Free Company box, there will be a plastic head, torso and whatnot that are female, and which do not involve thongs or breast-plates. They will sell out immediately and someone at GW will say 'Hey... these sold really well. Why didn't anyone tell us people wanted this?'

And Warseer will scream.

so damn true :p

frapermax
26-03-2011, 23:13
I've been waiting for years for my Mino Doomcow, I will call her Bella.
(Sh)udders.:D

MikeyB
27-03-2011, 03:12
There are already kits that get one female per four soldiers. The new Dark Eldar even have 6 in 10. What would get me buying miniatures again is a kit with all female soldiers, so that someone who wants an all female army for once can do so just as easily as someone making one of GW's many all male armies.

Sisters of Battle? :D:p:angel:

Sinnertje
27-03-2011, 04:02
Where (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3233752432_27166f3ed5.jpg)do you think they are?

AlexHolker
27-03-2011, 04:26
Sisters of Battle? :D:p:angel:
Yes, as soon as they're 15 pounds per squad instead of 50.

theJ
27-03-2011, 13:34
Yes, as soon as they're 15 pounds per squad instead of 50.

You don't honestly expect wimminz to be cheap, do you? :angel:

asphodel
27-03-2011, 14:23
You're right. It's one step away. But it's a big step.

A game which markets to a young audience that has no means of income aside from parents would do well to avoid offending said parents. Having a bunch of little bare-breasted "pleasure daemons" really isn't the best way to convince Mommy and Daddy to spend a few hundred dollars for little Jimmy to start playing.

Plus, it makes you look creepy when you pull out your army.

I agree that it makes you look like a creep, but bare-breasted pleasure daemons would be so much more appropriate than Morathi (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440048a&prodId=prod790903).

And as for the violence vs. sex thing, that's mostly a North America vs. Europe thing, IMO. This film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTL3XMDwY0c) has a great discussion of the subject with respect to movies.

Dark elves go from one extreme (armoured spearwomen/crossbowmen) to the other (armoured bikini witchelves, sorceresses and half-naked Morathi). So while you can have more ladies in your army, your friends will no doubt think that these are the only gals you're spending any time with.