PDA

View Full Version : How many wizards? Levels?

lparigi34
21-03-2011, 16:49
So, it seems that going with a single LVL-IV wizard is the way to go. More than that looks like an awful waste of spells since the winds of magic are so random.

For some armies even a single LVL 2 + dispel scroll seems the way to go to play defensive magic (i.e. Empire w/ 2 warrior priests, get additional 2 dispel dice, so the +4 to dispel is not as critical as for other armies).

So, in general or army specific, how many wizards/level is ok?

reddevil18
21-03-2011, 16:54
I go with a level 4 tzeench sorc and festus which is a level 2 nurgle but i rarely cast with him, hes mainly there for regen and posion on my warriors.

Bazzal
21-03-2011, 16:58
with my beastmen i run 3 lv2's. one with death and 2 with beasts or lore of wild if im bored lol. but thats more a chance to get more buffs off and not so much magic defense.

daemons i use3 units of horrors and a couple of heralds of Tzeentch, 1 nurgle and depending on points ether bloodthirster or GUO lv4 just to get the 6th spell fantastic agaisnt hordes .so kinda over kill with them

skaven just a seer, lv2 priest and 2 lv1 engineers since they can both get warp lightning

lizardmen i just use a single slann maybe a lv1 priest with cube but not usually

drear
21-03-2011, 16:59
it really depends on the army your playing and how its being played .

if you have somthing like high elves you want a lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2's as your hereos are there to support and buff, rather than go out and kill sways of troops.

if your skaven, mostly your lvl 4 is an auto choice to ride a screaming bell with the addition of a warlock or 2.

personally im finding multiple lvl 2's to be very good, it means you arnt stuck with a lvl 4 way away from where hes needed to buff somthing.
you can place a lvl 2 at either end of the battle line maybe a unit or two into it, so your genrally within 12 of most units , and both 'bubbles' cross over at the middle so you can cover all fights with buffs/debuffs where needed. or throw offensive spells out to the right palces.

Shadowsinner
21-03-2011, 17:19
a lvl 4 and lvl 2 are about ideal. if the list is under 3k. add an extra lvl 2 afterward. for my dark elf grand army i run a lvl 4 shadow mage with scroll... lvl 2 dark magic with an extra spell and a lvl 2 beasts

ScytheSwathe
21-03-2011, 23:47
Widely speaking, 6 levels of magic is 'magic heavy' 3 or 4 levels is moderate, 1 or 2 is magic defence.
However depending on what army you have, the lores and magic items available to you, this should be taken as a rule of thumb

Korraz
22-03-2011, 00:07
For 2k points I follow the rule of 6. Six power levels in varying composition.

vinny t
22-03-2011, 01:29
I almost always run a single well protected lvl 4. My Slaan for lizardmen in a TG bunker, a Slaughtermaster for OK is a pesudo-deathstar, and a lvl 4 Vampire lord with a 4+ ward and 2+ armor in a Skeleton bunker.

Taking a lvl 2 and a lvl 4 seems to be what most people do around here, but its a very rare thing for me to fail to cast with my lvl 4 or have him die. Taking a lvl 2 seems to be a bit of a waste of points.

Stuffburger
22-03-2011, 01:36
I alway run at least two- with O&G you can get a naked level 1 for 50 points so it's cheap insurance for when your level 4 explodes, gets disrupted or killed. I can see the more elite armies settling for one due to cost.

Edit: 50 points in the old AB, haven't gotten the new one yet. The $15 price bump for hardcover just seems like gratuitous money squeezing to me... Have to do it sooner or later i suppose.

Kevlar
22-03-2011, 01:47
A level 4 is nice since you can 1 dice a lot of spells fairly easily. I like to run a grey seer, a level 1 engineer, and usually a level 2 plague priest.

If I need to cut some points I sacrifice the priest to level 1 first, then I may drop the engineer out of the list completely.

The level 4 is staying no matter what though, the +4 to cast and dispel is too much to give up. I've tried a level 2 with the skull staff and it just isn't good enough.

friendsofrhomb
22-03-2011, 12:50
I play orcs and usually take a Lv 4 Orc and a Lvl 2 goblin shaman. I havent played with the new book though, im still waiting for it to arrive :( I find that if im taking a lvl 4, ill spend the few extra points and take a lvl 2 as insurance

cool-kid-on-the-block
22-03-2011, 13:12
a single level 4 is always a massive risk. if he misscasts there is 1-4 then 1 in 2 outright dying and 10-12 loosing magic levels. both are equally problematic if your level 4 does himself in. also if he is level 4 there is a good chance he will want to roll lots of dice at a power spell anyway, increasing this risk.

i always find level 2s are generally better as long as your signature spell is good (beasts, fire, shadow, tzeentch etc) as they dont usually cost a great deal unless you tool em up with more than a scroll. they still do something even if they dont roll a spell you like and when they do roll a spell like dwellers or purple sun you can happily throw 6 dice at it knowing full well that if he kills himself there is still more wissards and the effect he sacrifices himself for will be probably worth it.(then again i dont consider spaming power spells any more of a tactic than pressing the win button anyway).

also branching to multiple lores is better than you may give credit for as some work well together, better than alone as one may make up for the others weakness, normally its fire as most lores now lack any real direct damage.

hero wissards also give you chance to have a tooled up lord level combat character probably riding a monster or being a moster of some kind.

popisdead
22-03-2011, 15:59
1500 up I have a lvl 4, but I've always used the set up of Lvl 4 & BSB so 8th ed just made it easier. by 2k I add a lvl 2.

Unless I'm spaming miasma from the Shard of the Herdstone I don't bother with more than a lvl 4 and lvl 2. When I play my WE lists it's just a lvl 4.

fubukii
22-03-2011, 17:30
i find the best is dependant on your army

typicall i would suggest a single lvl 4

A lvl 4 and a lvl 2 (at most unless you are vc or something)

or 2 lvl 2.

THis seems like the best way to get the most out of your dice.

lparigi34
22-03-2011, 20:41
I can see a convergence around 4-6 levels that sounds perfectly logical to me. More than that seems to be quite inefficient. My only observation to this conclusion is that the magic phase now differs from what it used to be in that now it is quite hard to rely on it to win games. Tough some spells could be devastating, all the magic phase stuff is less reliable and usually better if used for support and not trying to make it the foundation for your army.

In general, I like it a lot, still have to see in-game the net effect it has on Daemons and Vampires that imho lost a lot of of that cheesiness, not to mention TKs, since their book is coming out quite soon and pointless to analyze for me.

Bloody Nunchucks
22-03-2011, 20:46
i run a lvl 4 in 2k games. in 3k a lvl 4 and a lvl2

magic heavy(LM, HE, DE, so on) will probably have at least 5 to 6 levels in 2k, other armies may have as low as 1 lvl and still be effective in what they are trying to do (cast a single buff a turn)

ShasOFish
22-03-2011, 21:08
I try to get in a single Level 4 Wizard for anything above 1250; below that, or if I can't squeeze one in, I am for one or two Level 1/2 Wizards, or, if my magic is no good, then I hang the sense of it, and leave magic at the wayside. While it does secede an entire phase to my opponent, it's not quite as drastic a loss at the lower end of the points range, as a +1 bonus to dispel rolls is not quite as valuble as a +4.

macdaddy_o
22-03-2011, 22:33
A level 4 is obligatory, if only for the +4 dispell. An additional level 1 or 2 can give access to a better range of spells, but is generally not needed.

In my lizard army, I take a slann, and sometimes a L1 with the cube of darkness. In my beasts, I break the rules and take a L4, a L2 and 2 L1's. That is because of the shard of the herd stone adding 1 die per mage. The default shadow spell is relatively easy for a L1 to get off, while the L4 uses death to generate more dice, and the L2 fires off the default beast spell.

Malorian
22-03-2011, 22:53
4 for sure with an optional 2.