PDA

View Full Version : What does every Successful Lizardman army have in it?

hacknslashgamer
22-03-2011, 01:32
Ok I have an Ogre K army it is great works perfect but know I want to expand.
I am looking for people who have played Lizardmen armies or against them what works, what doesnt,what is generaly in every successful build.
At 1000 points level games?

I have also been thinking Vampire Counts

At 1000 points I think this could be very deadly but the thought of moving 120-160 ghouls on the table kinda sickens me "Ok its my turn but it will take me 20 minutes just to move this 1 unit of 40 ghouls,and I have 3-4 units of them".

Zechariah
22-03-2011, 01:39
skink skermishers in small groups work great you will see them die alot but dont wory they make good hunters i had one game where they killed two lion chaiots (one in combat) and then went on to kill a wizard and a bolt thrower, and they had half there numbers left i think it was a 70 point unit.

hacknslashgamer
22-03-2011, 01:58
Wow a 70 point unit killing a Wizard,Bolt thrower,and 2 Lion chariots??It took more than 1 unit of skinks to kill all that right?

Zechariah
22-03-2011, 02:04
i think it was one, was a realy lucky roll day so dont count on them doing that much but they do hunt veary well, and a hord of temple gaurd i use 40 temple gaurd and they walk through units its a big point unit though

vinny t
22-03-2011, 02:25
I would say basically every Lizardmen army need to have 2 main things. At least 2 units of skirmished skinks with blowpipes and at least 1 unit of 20+ Saurus. Also, If you get up to 2500+ I would say a Slaan is almost mandatory. You can do well without it, but it is too good to pass up.

Kevlar
22-03-2011, 03:13
old blood on a carnosaur with blade of realities!

Leave the lore of life slann bunkered in temple guard at home, they stink!

Forsak3n
22-03-2011, 03:17
Ok I have an Ogre K army it is great works perfect but know I want to expand.
I am looking for people who have played Lizardmen armies or against them what works, what doesnt,what is generaly in every successful build.
At 1000 points level games?

At 1000 points I think this could be very deadly but the thought of moving 120-160 ghouls on the table kinda sickens me "Ok its my turn but it will take me 20 minutes just to move this 1 unit of 40 ghouls,and I have 3-4 units of them".

there are no ghouls in a lizardmen army.....unless im missing something

patchy
22-03-2011, 03:27
there are no ghouls in a lizardmen army.....unless im missing something

equally as confused...

hacknslashgamer
22-03-2011, 03:34
Sorry I have edited it I was also thinking Undead

Zechariah
22-03-2011, 03:37
@kevlar realy? i guess you havent played me i allways rock the slann with a 40+unit of temple gaurd they trample every block in there path.

WDWOLF
22-03-2011, 03:40
Skinks (skirmishers), Chameleon Skinks, Saurus blocks and in bigger games, a Slann, preferably in a Temple Guard bunker.

Remember, you don't always have to take Life. I find Life boring personally and mix it up often.

tmarichards
22-03-2011, 04:29
Frog BSB with know the whole lore, Cupped Hands, Becalming and Focused Rumination in a flaming TG bunker with lore of life/light, a saurus block with a scar vet with flamin weapons, 2 single sallies and all the poison in the world. Maybe a skink with a scroll, maybe terradons.

Lizards are easily the best army in 8th edition.

Rosstifer
22-03-2011, 07:38
Salamanders. Goddam brutal, those things are.

I wouldn't agree with easily the best, but they are without doubt right up there.

Yrrdead
22-03-2011, 08:14
For VC ghouls and grave guard are your bread and butter in 8th.

At least that is my experience , ymmv.

Oscarius
22-03-2011, 08:37
For lizzies I see sallies as a no-brainer, Slaan and Skink Skirmishers/Chameleons are silly good. Both Temple Guards and Saurus are plain solid.
But there are few things in the book that are BAD. Avoid swarms and all is good. :D

Also, dude. Movement trays! :P

venomx51
22-03-2011, 11:04
I always take 2-3 Salamanders (2 units of 1 or 2) and a Slann, which is just an awesome unit in every respect.

The Carnosaur with Blade of Realities is not a good choice imo; Fielding nearly 500 points as a large target (aka cannon fodder) with no ward save is just asking for trouble from anything that ignores armour saves...

Rosstifer
22-03-2011, 12:46
And Bestigor smack the Carnosaur around like noone's buisness. Bazinga!

eron12
22-03-2011, 20:53
Also, dude. Movement trays! :P

Quoted for truth. Even a simple "tray" will greatly reduce the time it takes to move models. I started using just a piece of thin cardboard (from a box of fruit snacks though ceral boxes should work fine) cut out 5mm larger on each dimension than the footprint of the unit. Made moving and manuvering very easy. Granted it wasn't the most aestically pleasing, but you only see a few mm of it and it works until I can upgrade.

DarkstarSabre
23-03-2011, 07:36
I would say basically every Lizardmen army need to have 2 main things. At least 2 units of skirmished skinks with blowpipes and at least 1 unit of 20+ Saurus. Also, If you get up to 2500+ I would say a Slaan is almost mandatory. You can do well without it, but it is too good to pass up.

Funny, I do fine with just 1 unit of 10 skinks.

The current Lizard love lies with the Slann and his Temple Guard block (which are pretty much the ultimate Anvil, especially with Lore of Life) and Salamanders. Delicious template throwing Salamanders!

WarmbloodedLizard
23-03-2011, 13:37
Slann
chameleons (3 units of 5-10)
salamanders (2 units of 1-3)

those are the top choices that almost any strong list has. everything else is optional/different in different lists. often with a focus on either saurus or skirmishers.

Leogun_91
23-03-2011, 13:42
Any successful Lizardmen army has a general and one or more core choices.:)

hacknslashgamer
23-03-2011, 15:12
I will mostly be going against Brett,Dwarfs,Skaven,and High Elves,in 1000 point battles my Ogres are just demolishing the local scene at 1000 right now and people are getting tired of playing them.

Spiney Norman
23-03-2011, 15:13
Theres no automatic winning formula, but generally, the following units are rated highly

Chameleon skinks (some of the best warmachine hunters in warhammer)
Salamanders
Saurus infantry

Most other stuff is pretty middle of the road, good in the right situation stuff, however I would not recommend

Saurus cavalry
Skink ranked infantry
Terradon riders

Slann are popular because the new hi-powered spell lores made them absolutely devilish, they also mean you can sub one unit of your saurus for the totally killer temple guard.

However they're by no means a must-take, its just as viable to take a killy scar veteran as your general and let a skink priest on an engine of the gods handle your magic phase.

Overall Lizardmen have lots of great options

Urgat
23-03-2011, 17:52
I find Life boring personally

Man, don't go and do something stupid! There's a whole lot of wonderful things in life!
:evilgrin:

ariochhelldrake
23-03-2011, 19:10
Guess you cant fit a Slann in a 1k battle
So overall then Skink Skirmishers/Chameleons for the ranged poison, capable of taking down even the toughest of creatures especially those with low saves.
Salamanders and Razordons especially Salamanders with the new template rules.
Saurus are also an excellent core and hard to beat.
1k is quite limiting magic wise for Lizards though you can only have Skink Priests and therefore only heavens magic.
I suspect a Stegadon will give a lot of armies (except Dwarves and Empire) a lot of trouble in 1k too

hacknslashgamer
23-03-2011, 22:09
I was looking for a WOW factor like a Stegadon if it will legaly fit in with some ranged poison from skinks.
I wanted that unit that people scream "I did not expect to see that in a 1000 point battle"

Leogun_91
23-03-2011, 23:21
I wanted that unit that people scream "I did not expect to see that in a 1000 point battle"A horde of jungle swarms will not be what anyone excpected to see in a battle at all, espesially without Tenehuian.
It's not good though.

ShasOFish
23-03-2011, 23:52
I was looking for a WOW factor like a Stegadon if it will legaly fit in with some ranged poison from skinks.
I wanted that unit that people scream "I did not expect to see that in a 1000 point battle"

With cannons and other nasty weapons cheap enough to fit in most games (certainly 1000 points), a Stegadon, while dangerous, is not quite the game winner one would hope it to be: Being a sizable chunk of your points, you lose out on numbers elsewhere, while massed fire (crossbow, bow, handgun, etc), will chip more than a few wounds away from it. With units coming as big as they do now, and with a higher toughness being no guarantee of survival, along with the more traditional fears like initiative tests and the like, our scaly war elephant suffers in comparison to our infantry (the regular stegadon works out to ~18 Saurus, or ~40 Skinks, or ~28 Skirmishers).

Kevlar
24-03-2011, 00:56
(the regular stegadon works out to ~18 Saurus, or ~40 Skinks, or ~28 Skirmishers).

That is the trade off. While a cannon might make short work of a stegadon, 28 skirmishing skinks will surely make short work of a cannon.

Paper, scissors, rock.