PDA

View Full Version : competitive and cool? (New 40k player)

Dante blackfur
22-03-2011, 16:15
Alright So I've been playing Fantasy for close to 4 years now, but most of the fantasy players at my LGS have left or stopped playing or some such thing but there's a strong 40k base, SO I thought that maybe I would pick it up and maybe sell one or two of my WHFB armies. But I'm torn between a couple of 40k armies, I'm looking for something that's competitive. but I also have to like the army, not just go by a Win-out-of-the0box army. so I'll give you a list of the armies that appeal to me, and I would like to know your guys opinions on which is the most competitive, I'm not really concerned about difficulty of play I can figure out an army pretty fast. ok here is the list, from most liked Fluff.

Space Wolves
Chaos Demons (Also I have about 4k of models from fantasy already:))
Gray knights
Witch Hunters
Tyrinids.

Are any of these top contenders for competitiveness? thanks alot for all the help!

Radium
22-03-2011, 16:25
Space Wolves are considered to be one of the best armies out there right now, and the new Grey Knights will be up there as well.

Kaelarr
22-03-2011, 16:30
Wolves are a top teir army, Grey knights is a maybe, im yet to make my mind up. Nids and Daemons can be good, but that depends on you getting good with them. Witch hunters dont bother with as they are now redundant and will cost you a lung to get an army together.

To give you an idea, at the UK Masters this year, the breakdown was:

2 Space Wolves
2 Dark Eldar
2 Chaos
1 Daemons
1 Eldar
2 Tyranids
3 Imperial Guard
1 Blood Angels.

The Top 3 were guard, Daemons and Dark Eldar.

Bunnahabhain
22-03-2011, 16:33
Out of those, space wolves are probably the strongest choice- Grey knights also appear to be rather strong, but we're not sure yet.

Plus, Space wolves don't have a Matt ward codex. If you have fantasy daemons, you can appreciate how good this.

Daemons, on the other hand, you merely need a codex for. They're more of a challenge to play, but variety is good, and they are ready to go. Nothing like having a force you can just pick up and play, whilst you paint stuff...

Dante blackfur
22-03-2011, 16:54
Thanks for all the fast response, yeah I might just grab the deamon codex so I can play while I paint my Space Wolves :)

Moepho
22-03-2011, 19:55
To give you an idea, at the UK Masters this year, the breakdown was:

2 Space Wolves
2 Dark Eldar
2 Chaos
1 Daemons
1 Eldar
2 Tyranids
3 Imperial Guard
1 Blood Angels.

The Top 3 were guard, Daemons and Dark Eldar.

Is there a website that has more detailed info on this?

Dante blackfur
23-03-2011, 00:07
Alright, since I already have demons, and people seem to believe that SW are pretty good competitors for tourneys, I'm prob going with them what would you suggest as a basis to start collecting? I'm figuring 1850-2000 pt since that seems to be a lot of the games around. Should I just get like 1-2 Battalion boxes? (or whatever they call them?) or just Space wolves marine boxes? suggestions appreciated

Dr.Clock
23-03-2011, 05:56
In 40k we call them 'battleforces'. Not as cool as battalion...

The Wolves one is pretty decent, but that assumes you were planning on using pods - not everyone's cup of tea.

That said, a pair of battleforces will have you off to the races and give you more than enough basic marines for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, in 40k we all have to shell out for transports... so once you have the battleforces, you'll really need at least a couple rhinos to mount everyone up. Space Wolves especially do best up close and personal. Rhinos (and often razorbacks too) are your friends.

With 2x pods, 2x rhinos all filled with Grey Hunters or Wolf Guard, and a large scout squad, you'll have no problem spicing it up with a few more 'interesting' purchases from Heavy Support or elites.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Codsticker
23-03-2011, 16:09
As this is not a Tactics discussion I have moved the thread to the General Discussion forum.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad