PDA

View Full Version : Necrons-buy list

txscotcg12
23-03-2011, 15:30
Hello,

So I have a confession to make i'm going to jump on the Necron bandwagon. I play Cryx and have started a Tomb Kings army so i'd like to get a 1850 Necron list to round out my collection of the undead.

My question is which units/models are a good buy at this point, especially with an eye towards the new codex coming out soonish.

If rumors hold true are there any modles which will become obselate? Are there any new plastics coming out which would be better buys then the current metals? Any new rules being released that would change current bad buys into must haves?

DevlinStone3
23-03-2011, 16:06
I would pretty much just avoid the metal models for now. We could see a new box of Warriors but I doubt there will be a major change. Rumor has it the Destroyers wil
Be unchanged but may come in a box set with the heavy option. I do not predict the Monolith will see any changes to the existing model but there may be an alternate kit for that as well. Immortals, Pariahs, Flayed Ones, and Tomb Spyders are the common givens for new plastic versions.

PreacherBoyRoy
23-03-2011, 16:11
you won't go wrong with Warriors, Destroyers, Scarabs, or Monoliths. which so happens are all plastic. i'm assuming warriors will be getting better (rules wise) in the new dex, and the rest are fine as is.

KarlPedder
23-03-2011, 16:20
Chances of any of the plastics being redone is extremely low, hybrid kits will likely be replaced but I don't think the asthetics will change, Tomb Spyders and Immortals seem to be the metal models most likely to get redone in plastic and have an asthetic/mechanical overhaul. I honestly don't think Pariahs have a hope in hell of being redone in plastic and if Flayed Ones were I dont think the asthetic will change but I dont think they will either I think any plastic kits beyond Spyders/Immortals will be allocated to new units something that Necrons could really do with a fair few of.

DevlinStone3
23-03-2011, 17:18
I agree about the pariahs I didn't intend to lump them in with the plastic prediction. Just typing on iPad in a OR waiting room. Though the Pariahs will undoubtably get a new sculpts even if they are still pewter.

txscotcg12
23-03-2011, 17:23
you won't go wrong with Warriors, Destroyers, Scarabs, or Monoliths

could a decent ish list be made at 1850 using just these models?

PreacherBoyRoy
23-03-2011, 17:27
one of the most competitive necron list avaliable at the moment is as many destroyers as you can get, at least one monolith to help with we'll be back (i personaly preffer two), and 20 warrior. destroyers are one of, if not the best unit in the codex. they put out the most fire power while staying very moblie. Scarabs are always a good choice if you decide to only take two units of destroyers.

Oh and of course you'll need an HQ.

Preston
23-03-2011, 17:55
Necrons are one of my favorite forces, and I'm looking forward to the new codex. I'd say grab a good core of warriors and a monolith. You might also want to grab some destroyers and a destroyer lord. Anything else is optional, really, with the new codex incoming (eventually.)

Rumors have Immortals coming to plastic, with larger bases (terminator size) and a new plastic Lord kit also on a larger base.

Jonnycron
23-03-2011, 17:56
Theres a necron bandwagon?! Did they release the new codex without me knowing :p

In all seriousness I love using the deceiver and his in game shenanigans! I'd suggest picking him up for now even if he doesn't make it into the new dex

Korraz
23-03-2011, 17:58
There is a NECRON Bandwagon?! Who would have thought that.

Get a bare minimum of Warriors, 1 or 2 Monoliths and as many destroyers of all kinds as possible. Some Immortals help too. Don't concern yourself with possible new sculpts and what might get redone. That's still some time off.

txscotcg12
23-03-2011, 18:02
Well its due out soon and if the power creep continues its going to be redonculous. Of course its a Xenos codex but maybe not. I'm truly just looking forward to being able to play undead in all three game systems.

O.K. so a cubic **** ton of destroyers followed by min? warriors and a monolith.
What model blister should i be lookin for a H.Q.
Can necrons be "competive" without a C'Tan. I'd rather not field a "god" if I can avoid it.

Jonnycron
23-03-2011, 18:27
Go with a destroyer lord for those ever so loverly destroyers!

Soupcat
23-03-2011, 18:29
Just pick up a few battle forces, a lord, and a monolith or 2.
The battle force with 20 warriors and 3 destroyers is an amazing deal.
There are a ton of lord models to choose from, and monoliths are just great, although they are a huge pain to assemble.

Asmodeus
23-03-2011, 18:44
you won't go wrong with Warriors, Destroyers, Scarabs, or Monoliths

could a decent ish list be made at 1850 using just these models?

(wow, been ages since i posted here)

Yeh, its possible and actually one of more effective (nowadays) necron lists.

From memory, my last 2000 point necron army had:
lord, dest body, warscythe, orb, 4+ invul
3x monolith
2x 10 warriors
rest were destroyers (forgot how many... 11 or 12 iirc) split as evenly as possible (like 4, 4, 3 or so).

For 1850 i would drop 1 monolith and add 1 or 2 tomb spyders. They are pretty good counter-assault unit especially with majority toughness rule and scarab swarm (scarabs become t6). Also rip vechicles open pretty easily (closecombat + 2d6 penetration).

Some people might whine about low number of warriors (or models altogether) but tbh: you dont need warriors. You dont see space marines taking 50 bolter models, so neither you need 50 bolters in your army.

How to play it? Monoliths for screening (yes it is possible to fire under them, but as LOS is checked from eyes of a model iirc you need to be over 24" away to fire at warriors standing right behind monolith - thats considering monolith hovers 1"). Also they work as your antitank force (land raiders/predators from front) AND work as objective denial. If you land monolith on top of an objective, it should put enemy models over 3" from it (monolith has 6" width) thus denying it.

Destroyers need to snipe by creating LOS via monoliths (you need to place monos correctly, so the only thing that can see destroyers is their target). Warriors should just sit back and be prepared to teleport via monos in last turn to capture objectives. If not possible at least turbo boost destroyers to contest enemy objectives.

Anyways even tho army is over 7 years old its quite effective IMO, and works okish in local tournaments. Beat both shooty and rhino rush marines, land raider spammers, chaos in different flavours, even tied with imp guard using chims/valks (put everything in reserve, deep strike monos, portal in warriors with attached lord to charge and destroy vechicles on turn you arrive).

DevlinStone3
23-03-2011, 18:47
In all seriousness I love using the deceiver and his in game shenanigans! I'd suggest picking him up for now even if he doesn't make it into the new dex

I agreed with you until they released the new Dark Eldar. Poisoned weapons now equal dead C'tan.

Preston
23-03-2011, 18:51
I'd say 20 warriors, 6 destroyers, 1 destroyer lord and a monolith.

That gives you a good core of troops, a good lord choice, fast attack and heavy support.

I'd say not to worry about more than that, until the new 'dex comes out. For all we know, mono's and 'stroyers could suck hard next 'dex and all hail the new shiny stuff.

IcedAnimals
23-03-2011, 19:26
I agreed with you until they released the new Dark Eldar. Poisoned weapons now equal dead C'tan.

I agree, that is why i field http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/Necron_Tomb_Stalker.html instead. Too much fun.

Korraz
23-03-2011, 19:30
Well its due out soon and if the power creep continues its going to be redonculous. Of course its a Xenos codex but maybe not. I'm truly just looking forward to being able to play undead in all three game systems.

O.K. so a cubic **** ton of destroyers followed by min? warriors and a monolith.
What model blister should i be lookin for a H.Q.
Can necrons be "competive" without a C'Tan. I'd rather not field a "god" if I can avoid it.

Yup, that covers it. Warriors are simply overpriced for MEQs with sprinkles, so don't take more than you have to (at least, at the start.) If you don't want a C'tan, I'd go with a regular Lord with orb and the Destroyerlord. The footlord sits back, while the Destroyerlord zooms around, together with your Destroyers.

txscotcg12
23-03-2011, 19:38
Well that sounds doable and has the added benefit of being easily portable.