PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my army list (IG)

WetAndCold
23-03-2011, 16:08
This is my first ever army list. I don't know what I'm going to be playing against with it and it'll obviously have lots of flaws. But you've got to start somewhere :p

HQ
PCS - 110pts
vox-caster, 2 flamers, Meltagun
Chimera transport

TROOPS
Infantry squad 1 - 55pts
vox-caster

Infantry squad 2 - 55pts
vox-caster

Infantry squad 3 - 55pts
vox-caster

Veteran squad - 105pts
flamer, meltagun, plasmagun, vox-caster

Heavy weapons squad - 75pts
3 heavy bolters

FAST ATTACK
Scout Sentinal squad (3 sentinals) (130pts)
heavy flamer, 2 missile launchers

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ battle tank (190pts)
2 heavy bolter sponsons

Total: 775 points

Comment and critisism appreciated :)

scar face
23-03-2011, 16:50
What I think about your list.......?

It's in the wrong section ;)

Draigo
23-03-2011, 16:51
It's illegal, too.
Your infantry squads needs a platoon command, and the one you have added isn't an HQ, so move it down to troops.

You need to free up points for some kind of leader from the HQ selection.

theJ
23-03-2011, 16:52
Well, first off, I think it should go in the "army list" section... :angel:

Other than that, you might want to make your squads more dedicated - I.E. have all the special/heavy weapons in a squad be effective versus the same things, thereby making sure they can really decimate those things.
The 'Infantry squads' are illegal - reread the 'Infantry Platoon' section, they could also benefit from some special weapons.

Still, it's a nice start :)

EDIT: ok, not so much illegal as misunderstood. The Platoon Command is not a HQ, it's a part of the Infantry Platoon, and thereby Troops, meaning you'll be wanting to add a HQ choice.

scar face
23-03-2011, 16:53
I drop the sentinels and a veteran squad to add chimeras for the other squads.

scar

WetAndCold
23-03-2011, 23:59
Thanks for the replies.
Sorry about putting it in the wrong section.

I didn't realise a pcs was not a HQ choice. So I have to get a company command squad. (is this correct?). How are my infantry squads illegal? Perhaps rather than get rid of certain elements, I should add some to round it to 1000pts. Maybe a storm trooper squad with a chimera and/or a chimera for my veterans squad so they can rush up and deal with threats before they reach my Cadian gunline... i.e. 30 accurate lasguns :D

EDIT: I just read the Infantry Platoon section and it says that a single platoon counts as "1" troop choice! My bad. That's gonna get expensive...

Draigo
24-03-2011, 02:56
Each platoon has, at minium, two infantry squads and a platoon command. You can add chimeras, more infantry squads, heavy weapon units, special weapons, and conscripts, but the whole thing still occupies one troops selection, and must consist of at least 2 infantry squads (20 men total), and a command (5 more men total).

Your platoon's illegal because it doesn't have a platoon command squad. Simply move the one you've got listed as HQ down to troops, and add a company command, lord commissar, or primaris psyker as your HQ, and you're all set.

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 03:13
Didn't you start a thread a little while back asking about how Platoons were put together? Nice to see you carrying on with your plan.

Since the need of the company command squad has already been explained I'll mention something else.

I'd dedicate the squads to certain roles. For instance, say you put a grenade launcher and autocannon in each infantry squad to make them efficient at taking out infantry (the autocannons can also take out transports), then make the veterans dedicated to taking out tanks (with 3 meltaguns) and mount them in a chimera. Not saying you should do this, but Guard squads (and units in most other armies) work better when they are dedicated to a single purpose.

I find heavy bolters to be a waste in a Heavy Weapons Squad, I usually field a squad with missile launchers, they may be expensive, but when in cover they can really hinder the enemy by being both anti-infantry and anti-tank.

If you get your CCS and equip it, what ever you do, do not waste that BS4 on flamers, use it one something else (I like sniper rifles to keep it cheap and the chance to pin something). A quick way to add a HQ is to put a Lord Commissar in the list (I give mine a power fist and camo cloak as a example). The Lord Commissar has a nice range of models and he's pretty effective in the game.

If I was taking Scout Sentinels I would either keep them as they are with multi-lasers (maybe adding smoke launchers just in case) or give them all autocannons for outflanking missions.

The Leman Russ Battle Tank is more points than it really is, it's 170 (when you pay the points for sponsons you are paying for the pair, not just 1 and a tank can only have a pair of sponsons).

Oh, and as for Storm troopers, I wouldn't bother with them, it's pretty much a general feeling among Guard players that they are just to expensive in points for what they do, Veterans are much better (take another squad of those if you must).

If I was to expand to 1000 points, I would take a CCS, bulk up the platoon by 1 more infantry squad and add another tank at the minimum.

I hope that helps :)

WetAndCold
24-03-2011, 09:34
Thanks Draigo and Lonely path, that was very informative.
I didn't realise missile launchers were good at taking out infantry. I thought they where more anti tank. Are meltaguns good at taking out tanks/vehicles?
I'll put up another list later, It'll probably still be all wrong :p
Thanks again.

WetAndCold
24-03-2011, 10:08
HQ
CCS - 150pts
Lord Commisar w/powerfist
Vox-caster
Sniper rifle
Plasma gun
Chimera

TROOPS
PCS - 55pts
Vox-caster
Sniper rifle
Plasma gun

Infantry squad 1 - 55pts
Vox-caster

Infantry squad 2 - 55pts
Vox-caster

Infantry squad 3 - 55pts
Vox-caster

Veteran squad - 160pts
Vox-caster
3 meltaguns
Chimera

Heavy weapons squad - 90pts
3 missile launchers

FAST ATTACK
Scout sentinel squadron (3 sentinels) - 105pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Lemun Russ battle tank - 170pts
Heavy bolter sponsons

Total - 895 points

So I've got a veteran squad in a chimera for anti vehicle purposes
3 cheap and cheerful infantry squads
Sentinels for flanking
A heavy weapons squad for taking out vehicles and infantry.

Is that a bit better?

Lord Gabranth
24-03-2011, 14:35
Looks pretty good to me. I would just try to find one more thing to fill that extra 105pts to make it a smooth 1000pt army for a good starting force

laudarkul
24-03-2011, 14:44
You can take a GL in 2 squads instead of voxes...In fact i would drop the voxes and with those 20 pts I would take 2xGL and a melta or a Flamer instead of a GL.

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 15:58
Yep, the good old missile launcher is good at infantry and tanks. They fire both frag and krak missiles. If you're facing Orks, Dark Eldar, other Guard and so on, frag can spell doom for their numbers ;)

For 100 points you have a few options open to you. Another Veterans Squads, increase the Platoon in size (and maybe add heavy and special weapons to the squads you already have, infantry squads with a grenade launcher and autocannon are pretty nifty, though not very mobile), a Valkyrie, Psyker Battle Squad (could get a 9 man unit which can cause alot of pain until they start taking wounds), a Hydra or Griffin. There's a lot out there that is fairly cheap for Guard to take (though the Valkyrie, Griffin and Hydra are expensive kits (I converted my own Hydras from a Chimera, sentinel cockpits and quad guns from the Aegis Defence Line (I bought the cockpits and guns from bits sites) and each one cost me about 25).

At the end of the day though it is your army and if you see a unit and think "wow, that looks so cool" it's probably something you should add since it's something you like the look of :) Most of my armies seem to follow that line of thinkgs for at least 1or 2 units in each list.

WetAndCold
24-03-2011, 16:16
Are PCS's and CCS's the same box set? All I can seem to find is 'command squad' and the HQ that comes with the IG battleforce is a 'command squad'.

Lord Gabranth
24-03-2011, 18:24
Are PCS's and CCS's the same box set? All I can seem to find is 'command squad' and the HQ that comes with the IG battleforce is a 'command squad'.

Yes it is the same box set

WetAndCold
24-03-2011, 21:22
Cheers, so is the only difference that in the ccs the officer has the stats of a senior officer and in the pcs the officer has the stats of a juniour officer, or can you build the officer to be one or the other?

DoctorDanny
24-03-2011, 22:01
HQ
CCS - 150pts
Lord Commisar w/powerfist
Vox-caster
Sniper rifle
Plasma gun
Chimera

TROOPS
PCS - 55pts
Vox-caster
Sniper rifle
Plasma gun

Infantry squad 1 - 55pts
Vox-caster

Infantry squad 2 - 55pts
Vox-caster

Infantry squad 3 - 55pts
Vox-caster

Veteran squad - 160pts
Vox-caster
3 meltaguns
Chimera

Heavy weapons squad - 90pts
3 missile launchers

FAST ATTACK
Scout sentinel squadron (3 sentinels) - 105pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Lemun Russ battle tank - 170pts
Heavy bolter sponsons

Total - 895 points

So I've got a veteran squad in a chimera for anti vehicle purposes
3 cheap and cheerful infantry squads
Sentinels for flanking
A heavy weapons squad for taking out vehicles and infantry.

Is that a bit better?

Since you have a couple of infantry squads without chimeras I'd say you would do good to lose the sniper rifles. They are a heavy weapon so you can't fire them if you move. If you want to issue orders to your infantry squads you'll have to keep up with them. That means moving.

Sentinels are very cool models, but rather useless in most games. I'd trade them for a valkyrie. If you drop the sniper rifles and the voxes you Have enough points to take either a vendetta or a valk with rocket pods and heavy bolters.

Another thing you might consider is dropper the commissar lord. You can use the 80odd points to add another infantry squad and a commissar. You then join all four infantry squads and add the commissar. This gives you a stubborn blob of 41 bodies that checks orders against Ld9. That's 118 rapid firing lasgun shots.