PDA

View Full Version : Armies of Arcana

Persephone
27-03-2006, 15:30
Anyone use this system for 28mm or 15mm fantasy battles?

My friend recommended it but I don't really know anything about it.

Nitron
01-04-2006, 02:48
From what I seen arcana looks good. Never played it though.

Solomon Short
25-04-2006, 17:44
AoA is sort of Warhammer with the serial numbers filed off. It is a well rounded game and quite balanced on the whole. In a lot of ways the issue people had with getting into it was that it was too generic high fantasy without any of the tastes that make them want to play. I guess my group found the no limits just too broad.
The game easily converts Warhammer armies over and doesn't take a lot of dickering to convert the 15mm to 28mm.

swordquest
01-05-2006, 00:43
The game is rather widely played where I live given that the games creator lives where I live...
I have not played it personnaly, but from what I have heard...
PROS-Use whatever minis u want.
Diverse army lists.
Anything goes feel to army building, you can have a freaking monster army for the horned rats sake.
CONS-Ultra generic. No fluff at all.

The game is afoot
25-07-2006, 22:29
I played WFB for a long time, but I got burned out by the lack of balance in the Army books, the bad match up syndrome that can mean a loss or win before deployment, the price hikes etc. so I looked around to see what was out there. I asked on different forums and then played a variety of games, Warmaster, WAB, War Machine, Armies of Aegyptus, mordheim and none of them did it for me.
The someone introduced me to Armies of Arcana and I thought well, why not.
One year later I haven't played WFB since.
The scope in AoA is phenomonal, I fell in love with it straight away.
It is superbly well balanced.
There is a creation formula in the book, it works for every model, every unit, every monster, war machine and it means everything starts on the same level playing field.
You can even make your own.
ALL your models from ANY manufacturer are eligible. There's no brand consciousness.
It's fantastic for BIG games with loads of models.
Infantry function well in every army AS THEY SHOULD.
I was fed up with the way Infantry get smashed all the time in WFB.
You can play with ancient armies, fantasy armies, human armies, monsters, war machines fliers, magic, it's all there and it's all balanced.
This is a sensational game BUT, it's NOT for kids.
If you need to see pretty pictures and be spoonfed rubbish fluff written by teenagers then it's not for you.
It has it's own forum at;
http://rajdhillon.forumup.ca/index.php?mforum=rajdhillon

The game is afoot
06-08-2006, 10:53
There is also a battle report for 'Armies of Arcana' with pictures here.....

http://rajdhillon.forumup.ca/viewtopic.php?t=195&mforum=rajdhillon

Remy
24-08-2006, 11:11
I have just started to use this system too. Its a really excellent set of rules that has a wide variety of stats and units (like WFB) and has the same General-level control and scale of battle as WFB - ie: no concerns over command and control structure or orders for your units etc. but also has a much more realisitic simulation feel to movement and combat and is a FAR more balanced game. It is much less 'gamey' than WFB and feels like a wargame as opposed to the games of 'chess' WFB sometimes feels like. And no SADs or MADs or other such abominations.

Whilst no system is perfect I believe this is THE best set of tabletop fantasy rules out there, and something all WFB players should really give it a go!

Just to add... I don't really understand the CON of the fluff that people have mentioned. AoA is basically just a rules system. Think of it as a replacement for the rules pages of the BRB and you won't go wrong. You can still play the game with every bit of WFB fluff you want. I just see it as playing Warhammer with far improved rules to be honest. My Orcs still go Waargh and are green etc etc. ;)

The game is afoot
12-09-2006, 19:18
Hi Remy, something else I have noticed in recent times is that quite a few Ancient/historical players have been using the rule system for this without the magic and they are touting as being the best system they have ever used.
Thats a big call in my opinion but these are older guys in their mid thirties who have played ancients for years.
It's interesting that the system can make use of both Ancients models and fantasy models.

Senbei
13-09-2006, 02:34
Sounds interesting... must look out for a copy of the rules... if any of the local stores are keeping it......

The game is afoot
13-09-2006, 20:45
It's not that easy to find but it's easy to pick up off the net or over the phone from stores that send out.
If you're in the UK Caliver books in Essex is your best option or if you're in the States then just go to the AoA website.

The game is afoot
15-10-2006, 22:23
You can always go direct to the guy that makes it and he designed it.
http://gmocart2.gmotion.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=thanesgames&Product_Code=RUL&Category_Code=rules
Good luck.

The game is afoot
30-12-2006, 08:21
An interesting update on the rise and rise of Armies of Arcana...

For those of you who live in London, particularly south west London, London Gamers Club in Richmond (on the District and Silverlink Rail lines) have included Armies of Arcana as a regular League game for 2007.
It is also featuring it's first UK tournament with a 2 day, 5 Game extravaganza in late September.
Overseas entries have already been accepted from the USA and Canada.

Discussion about the rulespack for the two day tourney is found here...

Support Information for the system is found here...
http://www.thanesgames.com/armiesofarcana.htm

If you wish to come along and try the system out then you can find London Gamers here...
http://londongamers.forumsplace.com/index.html

This game system is on the map and it's growing fast among the older and more discerning Fantasy Wargaming fraternity.
It is without doubt the best Fantasy table top wargame system in existence at this time.

Chancer
30-12-2006, 15:46
After getting really fed up with the imbalances and constant revision involved in WFB our club is going to give AoA a bash. We will still be playing warhammer with the models and background. just not using the GW rules.

We are all familiar enough with the WFB setting that we probably will not need to buy anymore army books.

Also on the thanes Games website there is a free set of SCi FI rules that might be a good substitute for 40k as well.

Frecus
30-12-2006, 18:55
One things I don't see mentioned anywhere near AoA forums are 'tricks' in the armies.

One of the things I like in WHFB are the countless upgrades and tricks an army can hold. Assasins jumping from units, fanatics springing up as traps, sudden magical effects from magic items like a powerful bound spell or the hail of doom arrow. Things that make you go 'can they do THAT?'.

Is it in there somewhere or...?

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

The game is afoot
05-01-2007, 07:12
After getting really fed up with the imbalances and constant revision involved in WFB our club is going to give AoA a bash. We will still be playing warhammer with the models and background. just not using the GW rules.

What is your club called and where are you on the planet?

Is it in there somewhere or...

I guess your questions are being answered as you have signed up over here...

This system is growing like a bush fire.
It caters for disenchanted Warhammer players who want more from the system than the same old lip service and no real improvement in the gameplay.
It also caters for all the WAB players who want to have a good crack at Fantasy with all their WAB armies.
It's a very 'realistic' Fantasy Wargame with a better visual effect than Warhammer, because it has bigger units on the table top.
In Warhammer 5 cav models constitutes a squadron, but it looks like 5 models. In AoA my smallest Cavalry squadron is 12 models and it LOOKS like a cavalry squadron.
Also, you can use ANY models from ANY manafacturer you choose, not just the expensive ones.

Frecus
05-01-2007, 17:08
To be really honest, browsing that forum did not really satisfy concerning that particular question.

I saw assasins mentioned once, and weird things like abusive use of missile units and harpies, but what more is there?
Epic sized armies are great, but how about the sudden turn of the game? The single hero able to make a steady hold out of a panicky retreat? It should not happen every game, but it is nice to see every once in a while, to have heroes become true heroes, through deeds like that.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Chancer
05-01-2007, 19:54
What is your club called and where are you on the planet?

Falkirk District Wargames Club, Falkirk, Scotland
(www.falkirkwargamesclub.org.uk)

Assassins do exist in the game but they are not hidden like they are in warhammer. They are still very good at killing heroes though. Another good thing about the game is that characters in regiments always have to fight other characters if they are present, to stop mighty heroes ignoring each other and laying into the rank and file.

Most of the rules in AoA make sense when you think about them.

The game is afoot
05-01-2007, 22:37
Falkirk District Wargames Club, Falkirk, Scotland
(www.falkirkwargamesclub.org.uk)

Awesome AoA kicks off in Scotland.
This game system is catching on like wildfire among the older more discerning gamers who want more from their table top fantasy gaming experience than Warhammer has to offer.
It's also starting to cross over into WAB players as well because they get the two for one aspect from the same army.
It's hard to get incredible flexibility like that for your wallet in our hobby.

Are you aware that Britcon is running an AoA tournament this year in manchester, in August I believe?.
There will also be a specific 2 day AoA tourney in late Sept. in London date TBC.

Assassins do exist in the game but they are not hidden like they are in warhammer. They are still very good at killing heroes though. Another good thing about the game is that characters in regiments always have to fight other characters if they are present, to stop mighty heroes ignoring each other and laying into the rank and file.

Most of the rules in AoA make sense when you think about them.
He's right Frecus, you really need to pick up a copy of the rulebook and get a couple of games under your belt and all your questions will be answered.

thanesgames
04-03-2007, 07:18
Hi, I found this thread by googling around. I'm sorry if there are threadomancy taboos I'm breaking here.

I wanted to answer the specific question by Frecus.

There are a lot of "tricks" that can be played, but they are generally of the sort where you've spent some effort setting them up. If you are looking for "WTF was that crap?" kind of tricks that your opponent had no reason to expect or no defence against, I actually made an effort to prevent that sort of thing in the game. Its not why I play minis - there is a big time investment in setting up a minis game in most cases, so I tried to avoid things that come out of nowhere to blow the game away. I think that style is better suited to shorter format games (like card games) or "screw your buddy over" board games (like Zombies, or Cults Across America).

That said, here are some things that can act as surprises in the game:
Infiltrators - these are purchased for more points at the start of the game, and can set up anywhere outside of the opponent's deployment area and 6" away from a unit of his in later turns. You know they are out there, you don't know when or where they will pop up. But there are defenses - keeping units closer together so there are no gaps for setup in bad places, and a scrying spell that can force an opponent to set up an infiltrating unit immediately.

Magic - There are a LOT of clever things you can do with magic, and nothing says "surprise" like charging a bunch of goblin pukes who suddenly have firebreath. Now, you know the enemy wizards are out there, and what they can see, and that they have two power stored to cast the spell. But are they going cast that spell, or another spell, or on another unit, or save the power for a nasty level 3 next turn, or dispell something you've done magically. Each wizard has 8-12 spells available to him, and so while you can know what they are capable of, you can easily be surprised by what they actually do. And you can defend with your own counters and dispells.

Movement - Normal troops move 6" or so. Cavalry moves 14" to 18", and there are monsters that move 20" or 25" - and flyers have a lot of leeway in what they charge. With that range of movement, and the rules for charging that let you tie up closerunits to get beyond to further units, there are lots of clever ways to pull tricks your opponent didn't expect.

Basically, the flexibility of the game system gives you a lot of opportunity to launch surprises. But, instead of the surprise coming from some massive exception to the rules, it comes from clever use of the basic rules. Its the trickery of a clever football play. I think that is a lot more satisfying than "HA-HA, I put an assassin in that unit!".

I am still constantly surprised by what people come up with, even with 8 years of playing behind me and supposedly being an "expert" on the rules.

The game is afoot
04-03-2007, 09:06
WoW Thane, thanks very much for that perspicacious explanation.
It's a very VERY rare day that we get a Game designer on here at Warseer discussing their own system in depth, it is refreshing and a real treat.

I've taken up AoA and have found it to be the best tabletop miniature game in the fantasy genre I've ever played.
The balance, the realism, the vast array of armies players can collect to use in the system.
Being able to make your own units and monsters with the cretaure creation system and be able to do it all with models I already own is an awesome collection of excellent features.
I'm sold on it.
We are playing it in a league at our local club.

Curufew
04-03-2007, 15:43
I'm quite interested in this system as well. But I have a a question. Do they include the armylist in the rulebook. They point cost and stuff.

Frecus
04-03-2007, 16:15
I wanted to answer the specific question by Frecus.

I feel honored. :)

kind of tricks that your opponent had no reason to expect or no defence against, I actually made an effort to prevent that sort of thing in the game. Its not why I play minis - there is a big time investment in setting up a minis game in most cases, so I tried to avoid things that come out of nowhere to blow the game away.

I did not really mean tricks that can single-handedly win a game or cannot be defended against. I mean the little surprises that make your opponent jump up a little. They shouldn't be game-breaking, but enough to tip the balance for a unit. If that unit happens to be the one unit that can swing the balance in your favour, then it was the clever appliance of your 'trick'.

That said, here are some things that can act as surprises in the game:
Infiltrators - these are purchased for more points at the start of the game, and can set up anywhere outside of the opponent's deployment area and 6" away from a unit of his in later turns. You know they are out there, you don't know when or where they will pop up. But there are defenses - keeping units closer together so there are no gaps for setup in bad places, and a scrying spell that can force an opponent to set up an infiltrating unit immediately.

That's kinda what I was hoping to be in there. Your opponent knows you have this surprise, and with that, you can play tricks on your opponent. By making suggestive gestures, you can 'spook' your opponent into not-doing something, because you have the infiltrators, who might be into a good position if he does that.

of the surprise coming from some massive exception to the rules, it comes from clever use of the basic rules. Its the trickery of a clever football play.

Again, I don't like the big stuff either. I'm not fond of doomsday weapons, but I think you have just explained that your so-called "basic rules" already contain enough tricks, and to my surprise, better thought-out than I first thought.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

The game is afoot
04-03-2007, 16:55
I'm quite interested in this system as well. But I have a a question. Do they include the armylist in the rulebook. They point cost and stuff.

Yes they do.
They have 15 Army lists in the rulebook as well as a LOT of monster options as well.
All the points costs are in there as well and the entire formula for the Creature Creation process.
All the spells for the magic and all the rules for the game system.
There is a free FAQ on the website and an extra official monster list as well as another dozen free lists onthe website.

thanesgames
04-03-2007, 19:54
"I did not really mean tricks that can single-handedly win a game or cannot be defended against. "

Sorry, I stopped playing back in 5th Edition. Fanatics popping out of a unit and killing a half dozen guys was par for the course back then, or an assassin just dropping a far more expensive character with prety good odds. Or an exploding and regenerating vampire... or a character suddenly getting a half dozen extra attacks.. etc. I played a little 6th edition, enough to convince me I didn't want to play a lot of 6th edition, but haven't played any of 7th.

"By making suggestive gestures, you can 'spook' your opponent into not-doing something"

Heh, I love the taunting game. At least, I hope that's what you meant by "suggestive". Though perhaps throwing an opponent a wink at a critical moment could throw them off their game, lol.

"but I think you have just explained that your so-called "basic rules" already contain enough tricks, and to my surprise, better thought-out than I first thought."

Yeah, to my surprise too :p

The game is afoot
05-03-2007, 06:07
I love the way that units that are already engaged have a variety of options open to them in the movement phase, particularly if they are 'drilled' troops with better morale.

Senbei
10-03-2007, 12:52
One Question about Britcon AoA... What scale will they be using ? I've heard that 15mm is also a popular choice with this game....

The game is afoot
10-03-2007, 13:36
In the UK it is always 28mm for tournaments.
Armies of Arcana is quite popular with the Americans in the 15mm range.
It suits both sizes handsomely.

Senbei
17-03-2007, 05:34
Just got my copy of the rules today... 5 days from order to delivery (US -> UK). Not bad. seems like a good rules set, must give it a try out as soon as possible ^_^

The game is afoot
19-03-2007, 07:44
I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Lithian
31-03-2007, 05:42
Iíve got a few.

You can build any unit, but what about characters/heroes/lords? Are they not as customizable? Iím not a hero-hammer fan, but sometime you just got to hack up a bunch of grunts, especially if they are just asking for it. :evilgrin:

What about magic items. Do they exist and/or can I make them? Youíve got to have toys and gear besides the mundane stuff, this is fantasy after all.

ALL your models from ANY manufacturer are eligible. There's no brand consciousness.

You say that, but what if I show up with three 25-blocks of Wotc pre-paints I got of the internet for around $25. In addition to my gargantuan black & blue dragons and a bunch of monster-critter types as well, all Wotc. Iíll probably paint 3 or 4 character models. Would everybody be so understanding?

Can I use round bases (ala LoTR & Foundry)? If I make a movement tray with molding that indicates the 1Ē linear increments, whatís the difference?

Donít get me wrong, I hit the forum, and it looks pretty cool. I have a 5th ed Brett army that would love to play one day.

Later! :D

Frecus
31-03-2007, 12:24
Iíve got a few.

You can build any unit, but what about characters/heroes/lords? Are they not as customizable? Iím not a hero-hammer fan, but sometime you just got to hack up a bunch of grunts, especially if they are just asking for it. :evilgrin:

What about magic items. Do they exist and/or can I make them? Youíve got to have toys and gear besides the mundane stuff, this is fantasy after all.

You say that, but what if I show up with three 25-blocks of Wotc pre-paints I got of the internet for around $25. In addition to my gargantuan black & blue dragons and a bunch of monster-critter types as well, all Wotc. Iíll probably paint 3 or 4 character models. Would everybody be so understanding?

Can I use round bases (ala LoTR & Foundry)? If I make a movement tray with molding that indicates the 1Ē linear increments, whatís the difference?

Donít get me wrong, I hit the forum, and it looks pretty cool. I have a 5th ed Brett army that would love to play one day.

As for the WotC, I don't think anyone would mind, as long as they look like what they are (ie, pikemen for pikemen, dragons for dragons).

As for magic items, I think Thane's answer to my question answers that question as well?

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Lithian
31-03-2007, 15:01
As for magic items, I think Thane's answer to my question answers that question as well?

So I take it that's a no? Then what sets characters apart from the average joe?

Zink
31-03-2007, 15:58
I had a discussion about this on the AoA forum. Frecus and I thought more variety in characters would be nice. I'm still undecided whether or not it's needed so for now I'll use what Thane gave for stats. I did make/modify some units to match my existing collection. The difference between characters and the average guys is they are generally better in all stats, have fixed(magical) armour, a magic weapon and fearless for morale. They also get the option of riding monsters or a variety of mundane mounts. They are quite a bit better than the ordinary troops. So no tricking out your hero with a bunch of magic but it's worth it to have some characters in your armies.

Lithian
31-03-2007, 17:08
Then are characters a viable option against rather large monsters, or custom built gribbly rampaging monster squads? Is my only defense large blocks and artillery?

Zink
31-03-2007, 20:12
Yes, they are viable. I've got very little actual playing experience but from what I know they can help. Characters must fight each other in hand to hand if they are in the units involved. Like warhammer challenges but mandatory. Because they usually have multiple attacks, higher strength and magical weapons they have a better chance of hurting monsters. But they aren't single handed killing machines. Real big monsters should be able to snack on an unsupported character.

Lithian
31-03-2007, 21:01
Thanks for the insight. I just wanted to make sure that in an attempt to get away from hero-hammer, it didnít become monster-hammer. Iím really intrigued, Iíll have to pick up the rules. Iíll make my own hero creation stuff just for fun.

Iíve got a buddy that has over 500 of the WotC pre-paints. Iíll have to rope-a-dope him back into mass fantasy battles. Iíll tell him were going to reenact the Greyhawk wars. ;) I saw a couple of mentions of the McFarlane dragons, has anyone attempted to stat that WotC colossal red-dragon monstrosity, if such a thing is even possible? :evilgrin:

We both have WHFB armies too, so thatíll give us a chance to knock the dust off them suckers.

Zink
01-04-2007, 01:43
Monsters aren't the be all and end all either. Eveything can be taken down with the right equipment and tactics. The beauty of AoA is that anything is possible. There's a points calculation formula and you can put stats on anything. From what I've seen of the people that play it they are relaxed and more in it for the fun. No model police as such. Any figure can be used and nice "toys" can fit in as well. As long as your ideas are not over the top and reasonable go for it. There are a lot of army lists already available and it's not hard to modify or make your own once you figure out the formula. Hint there's and excel worksheet available on the Thane's Games yahoo group for creature creation.

The game is afoot
02-04-2007, 23:22
I've played a lot of games of Armies of Arcana.
I agree with everything that Zink has come up with.

Zink
09-04-2007, 21:57
For people interested in AoA Thane's games are reworking the website. It's not finished and some of the links aren't working yet. But they've done a beautiful overhaul. Check it out at
http://www.thanesgames.com/

Lithian
12-04-2007, 01:04
Donít take this wrong, but that looks like a fan site a teenager made. I know Thane is a struggling independent guy trying to get his game off the ground, but that front page has very little professional market appeal in a world just chocked full of sparkly miniature and game manufactures.

How about some old fashioned horse trading for some ďpro-levelĒ miniature paint photos?

Maybe there is a graphics student at the local university or art institute that might be bribed with some food (ie Taco Bell :D ) to undertake a web design as an independent study project? Or an IT student for that matter.

There are a lot of creative people in this hobby that would probably be willing to help out a fellow gamer.

Iíve already asked my wife for the rulebook for Fatherís day. Just trying to help a fellow gamer out. ;)

Zink
12-04-2007, 04:17
I'm not personally involved with Thane's games in any way so it doesn't hurt my feelings. But from what I know of Thane he seems like a pretty good guy and I like his rules. So I try to give what little support I can. If you want to help him out send him an e-mail or join the AoA forum and give advice. Seems that people there are open to suggestions. Thane did ask for opinions on what he's doing.

The game is afoot
15-04-2007, 19:09
Donít take this wrong, but that looks like a fan site a teenager made. I know Thane is a struggling independent guy trying to get his game off the ground, but that front page has very little professional market appeal in a world just chocked full of sparkly miniature and game manufactures.

I think that is a harsh assessment.
Firstly it is a significant improvement over the previous incarnation, which was rather shabby.
Secondly, he is a one man band and he is competing directly against other one man bands with minimal budgets and in that context I think it's holding it's head up comfortably.
He is not competing against the major companies, he is after all a comparative minnow.
Very few operators have the kind of budget one sees from the likes of GW, Rackham, Privateer press, and Croc Games.
There are a LOT of small boutique operators out there and very few of them have websites that punch above their budget.
It's not that important, once they are tidy and functional how much more do you need?

Lithian
16-04-2007, 22:44
Hey, glad to see your suspension is over.

I think that is a harsh assessment.

Harsh, but true. Instead of hashing this out here and distracting from the intent of the thread, Iíll man up and voice my concerns over on the appropriate AoA forum.

Later!

ExquisiteEvil
17-04-2007, 00:35
Instead of hashing this out here and distracting from the intent of the thread, Iíll man up and voice my concerns over on the appropriate AoA forum.

Later!

we're waiting....

The game is afoot
17-04-2007, 07:45
Good onya Lithian.

The game is afoot
28-04-2007, 19:29
First Armies of Arcana Tournament in Europe tomorrow. It's a one day three game affair being held in West London with armies of 4000 points each.
Should be a blast.

thanesgames
29-04-2007, 03:44
I've recently added a new battle report (http://www.thanesgames.com/br_snakevelf.htm) and some images of my demon army (http://www.thanesgames.com/pa_thanesdemons_15.htm)

Rob Eskridge has also put up new photos of his high elves (http://robsminis.blogspot.com/2007/01/high-elf-army.html)

revford
29-04-2007, 11:37
This sounds like quite an interesting game.

Hopefully someone can answer a few questions for me, talk me into buying a copy, then I'll move over to the Thane's Games Forum for more in depth stuff.

All the battle reports on the Thane's website are for massive 3000+ points battles, how does the game handle smaller games? I ask because I usually don't go over 1000pts for WHFB, often playing 500pts Border Patrol games.

Is now a good time to buy a copy? Is there a new edition about to sneak up on me?

Finally I didn't see an answer about the round bases, is there a base size convention in AoA I should know about to prepare my armies?

ashc
29-04-2007, 14:33
Some good questions revford.

I have received a copy of the rules myself this week through the post and i must say i am mightily impressed. I do have a couple of questions though, such as what 'standard' sized games are for AoA (i.e, what is its WHFB 2000pt. equivalent?).

Ash

revford
29-04-2007, 14:49
Actually, that's a really good point, I just assumed that the AoA points were equivalent to WHFB points. Are they?

ashc
29-04-2007, 15:02
Actually, that's a really good point, I just assumed that the AoA points were equivalent to WHFB points. Are they?

When some units cost 3 times the price of others because they are armed with bows, they certainly don't :)

Ash

revford
29-04-2007, 15:38
Ouch, I should have a closer look at the army lists on the website then. :)

ashc
29-04-2007, 16:37
Its similar to lotr in that respect i suppose; shooting looks quite powerful but you pay the price; those higher costs offset people's urges to play gunlines i guess.

Ash

Zink
29-04-2007, 16:44
The AoA forum doesn't seem to be working at the moment so I'll try and answer some of the questions. AoA points don't match warhammer. Not really close because of the formula used. Archers are very effective and costed quite high because of it. Very cheap troops are about 10 points, good troops often 20+ and archers close to double the basic trooper cost. Cav is about double the cost of basic troops as well.

I asked once about what size battles are standard and was told about 3,000-4,000. Gives you enough room to have a well rounded force and a few big special things. It seems that units are on average a bit bigger than in warhammer. A rough count would be that AoA points equal half their value in Warhammer points. ie 3,000 in AoA = about 1,500 in Warhammer.

Thane has rules for skirmish and small battles on his website. But I'm not even getting in any ordinary battles so I haven't really looked at them.

ExquisiteEvil
30-04-2007, 00:36
As GiaF said there is the first european tourney going on today - hopefully he'll get us an update here tomorrow!

As for the rule book - for the cost just buy it. Its all you need - no army books or suppliments! Plus if there is an update - thane makes the changes available on the site:D

Ash - you should give AoA a 'review' in the watchman as a alternate 'balanced' ruleset to use GW armies with:D

ExquisiteEvil
30-04-2007, 22:19
First Armies of Arcana Tournament in Europe tomorrow. It's a one day three game affair being held in West London with armies of 4000 points each.
Should be a blast.

How did it go?

bluntfang
11-02-2008, 23:31
Its similar to lotr in that respect i suppose; shooting looks quite powerful but you pay the price; those higher costs offset people's urges to play gunlines i guess.

Ash

AoA is more lethal in general. A roll to hit "wounds" at the same time, followed by an armor save by the "wounded" model. I feel this has been compensated for pretty fairly by the average attack skill of 2, so you need to roll a 2 or a 1 on a d6 to wound. Having the ability to hit/wound at range is, and should be, expensive. Even so when that group of 30 archers fire you should expect plenty of :chrome:casualties.

The other benefit, in my mind, is this keeps monsters, single heroes, etc from being overly powerful. Everything needs support. I am less concerned seeing a 500+ point model in this game then I would be in Warhammer.

So far I have mostly played using LoTR minis, and as a result we tend to have pretty powerful heroes/monsters. The mumek looks great on the field, but even when it weighed in at over 400 points it wasn't impossible to kill, though it did keep 3 units of dwarves very busy in the meantime.