PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... ORCgres as trolls?

RTGamer
23-03-2011, 17:44
So since I bought some shiney tech I have no funds for miniatures until October but I have a tournament in September that I want to go to...

I have plenty of models so why is this a problem? Well mainly due to the fact that I want to add a unit of 6 Trolls to my Orc and goblin army to take to the tournament.

So I had an idea. Create OrcGres... I have seen someone do excellent conversions using Orc heads and Ogre bodies. I think with some greenstuff and som creative painting I could make 6 of these guys so that they would look very good. However I don't want to do this then be looked down upon by my opponents and being refused to play against anyone.

So if this was the only unit of Big guys in the army and they were supposed to be trolls would you play against it? Or would you think hmmm nope give me troll models?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Urgat
23-03-2011, 17:49
I don't like the concept, but then again I hate fish, and I'm not going around the world preventing people from eating fish :p I can't see how anyone would refuse to play you.
Mmh, maybe I do, but you're free to ignore those :p

RTGamer
23-03-2011, 18:06
Urgut You are a confusing little gobbo you are!

Urgat
23-03-2011, 18:18
Sorry about that: I wouldn't mind playing it at all, it's just I don't like the idea of enormous orcs bigger than a warboss (but it's just a personnal opinion based on fluff, but this can certainly be dealt with with some nice story)). My goblin general is going to be a fat goblin in tuxedo, some people will not like the concept, but I don't expect anybody to refuse playing me because of that.
Ignore my last sentence, it was a cheap shot at someone.

RTGamer
23-03-2011, 18:24
LOL it's fine Urgut should have put a smiley at the end of my post ;)

I think my Warboss will be as big as the Orges if not a little bigger. (On a boar or Chariot so not to impact too much on the other Boyz)

I was also thinking I could maybe put common goblin heads on them and have them warped by the gods (Doing a Chaos wastes themed O&G force)

Malorian
23-03-2011, 18:29
I was thinking about this too but didn't like it because ogres don't have Str5 or regen, but then I got to thinking... ogres with trollguts and the str spell fit the bill perfectly! And it's not a stretch that they could figure out how to puke (I'm thinking some cool conversions with the river troll puke).

So I say do it! Even without orc heads it works.

LordZombie
23-03-2011, 18:30
I have done this before. It came out looking pretty good. I know in the older orc and goblin book (have no read the new one) it states that orc just keep getting bigger as they get older. I could see the unit as an unit of old big 'uns. The stupidty rule even serve well as the old timers thinking about the old days.

Urgat
23-03-2011, 18:38
The problem is, the ogre bodies don't really look like orc ones at all. I prefer RTGamer's idea of mutations. Yeah, you make those mutated ogre things, you add some chains and chakkles, and have a couple gobs on the base lead them as they're kindda like greenskin chaos spawns?

RTGamer
23-03-2011, 18:44
Exactly Urgut exactly... Maybe follow the chaos luff and they could be ex champions of Gork and Mork who have been mutated by the Gods for failing to WAAAAGGHH Properly...

Luckily the Ogre Bodies are easily manipulated to look morphed.

Urgat
23-03-2011, 18:57
It's Urgat, with the "a", raaaah :p
If I may, look up the first and third pages of my plog (see in my sig), there's a handful goblins with looted chaos stuff (that's the goblins I've used as common gobs in my army up till now), this may give you some inspiration.

Cragum
23-03-2011, 20:27
Im not too sure on this concept as in my mind ogres are big bestial beasts who have the big guts and eat alot. While trolls in my mind are gangled creatures with contorted body proportions...

RTGamer
23-03-2011, 20:42
They wouldn't be Trolls per se, it would be a bunch of really big mutated orcs who vomit and have meld their flesh together even when they get hurt.

They would just have the stats of Trolls for Gaming purposes.

PS sorry Urgat...

WarmbloodedLizard
23-03-2011, 20:45
I use ogres with saurus heads+some shields attached to belly and back and converted weapons as my krox. I love them :D I think green ogres would look awesome as well ;)

Charistoph
23-03-2011, 20:54
Call them 'Grey Orcs'. They are a failed Chaos Dwarf experiment to get big strong orcs very quickly into the work place and battlefield. Their Regeneration comes from their enhanced growth rate and innate toughness. They are Stupid because the Dwarfs didn't balance them properly, so their muscles are big, but the brain is pitiful, being easily outgrown by the body and acheiving stable maturity too quickly, giving them excessive naivety. For the vomit, they're immature brains will let them eat anything, causing massive distress and reflux.

Their next project had better results, but were too smart, the Black Orcs.

Grimmeth
24-03-2011, 14:33
Call them 'Grey Orcs'. They are a failed Chaos Dwarf experiment to get big strong orcs very quickly into the work place and battlefield. Their Regeneration comes from their enhanced growth rate and innate toughness. They are Stupid because the Dwarfs didn't balance them properly, so their muscles are big, but the brain is pitiful, being easily outgrown by the body and acheiving stable maturity too quickly, giving them excessive naivety. For the vomit, they're immature brains will let them eat anything, causing massive distress and reflux.

Their next project had better results, but were too smart, the Black Orcs.

This idea I like, a lot. kudos Charistoph.

RTGamer
24-03-2011, 15:31
I agree it is a very good idea... Are there Chaos Dwarves in da norf though?

If not I am stretching the fluff to include Grey Orcs so I can get a clan of Dwari Zhar up there.

Charistoph
25-03-2011, 07:23
Chaos Dwarfs live predominantly in the north. Their general lack of not living underground is what caught them in the wave of Chaos when the gates fell. Things went sideways for them since then. They haven't been directly involved with matters on the world stage lately, but instead have been the crafters of Chaos, creating the armor of the Chaos Knights and Warriors and the Hellcannons. There is some rumor (or is it history, it changes so quickly some times) that they created the Black Orcs to be their main warrior muscle, but they made them too strong, and too intelligent, and they rebelled against their creators.

Urgat
25-03-2011, 08:51
It's a fact that they created the black orcs, it's in their armybook, but it has happened so long ago (before Sigmar's time), that I have some difficulties believing that a handful of previous failed experiments would manage to live on somewhere else in the world in one tribe. It's a nice idea indeed, but difficult to believe. IMHO you're better off replacing it with "warpstone did it", or a spectacular miscast hitting a group of shamans, or whatnot. But an anecdotical even that would have happened 2500 years ago (black orcs are created in -150)?

RTGamer
25-03-2011, 18:08
Good point Urgat but I am thinking that the gods did it is the perfect out....

What if they wandered the chaos wastes for years? You know time flows differently there.

Charistoph
25-03-2011, 20:12
Then reverse the time frame. The Grey Orcs (or whatever color you want, grey was used because it matched the standard ogre color and the first Hulk) were a recent innovation by the Chaos Dwarfs to try their slave orc project again. Strength was good, but they were too dumb to make good slaves, so they were released into the Wastes to perish. They met up with your warband before they died out.

It's the same story, over all, just starting much later.

GodlessM
25-03-2011, 20:19
If someone complains because you put effort into converting some models then they aren't worth playing.