PDA

View Full Version : Finding actual 'bargains' on the GW website?!

iamfanboy
23-03-2011, 18:08
So, I realize that bitching about GW prices is the endless litany of hate that springs forth from Warseer like the chant of ten thousand damned souls, but I want to find some examples of the lighter side:

What can YOU find on the GW website that actually offers good value for money, and why?

I'll start with something simple: the old Jungle Trees from the 3rd Edition box.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440156a&prodId=prod1095501

For only $8 USD, they're mighty useful - I use them as Battletech terrain now but even so, I have fond memories of playing in the barracks with only these, some books covered in felt, and the now-ancient gothic ruins as the only terrain we had, and we liked it by Gawd! One sprue makes a decent-sized jungle, they're durable, and repairable.

So, yeah. Maybe you'll find some ulcer-inducing prices as you look, but try to find some gems among the dross!

shelfunit.
23-03-2011, 18:26
This...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440120a&prodId=prod1300000

... but that really is all I can find in the fantasy section.

bork da basher
23-03-2011, 18:37
the last true item i felt i got value for money from directly from GW was space hulk which was a box of purest awesome and well worth its pricetag... prior to that i can honestly say i can't remember ever feeling i got value for money from GW with possible exception to when i was a staffmember about 10 years ago and we got charged by weight...that was pretty sweet for a time.

crandall87
23-03-2011, 19:53
I think one reason GW get so many haters in terms of price is because of their lack of special offers and sale items. The trees are only a good bargain if you don't hate them like I do lol

Max Jet
23-03-2011, 20:05
So 2 Dollars per plastic tree is now a bargain.

Wow.

Just wow.

The only good value you get on the GW page is if the model is really superb and much better than anything you can get representing the same miniature. GW has some real gems in terms of looks in their range, however none of them can be called a bargain or cheap.

enyoss
23-03-2011, 21:30
I can't really see anything I'd call a bargain.

On the eve of 6th edition, when they were selling off 4th edition metal high/dark elf spearmen, dark elf corsairs and black guard at 20 quid for 30, or discontinued box sets at 3 for the price of 2, now that was a bargain :).

iamfanboy
23-03-2011, 21:45
So 2 Dollars per plastic tree is now a bargain.

Wow.

Just wow.

The only good value you get on the GW page is if the model is really superb and much better than anything you can get representing the same miniature. GW has some real gems in terms of looks in their range, however none of them can be called a bargain or cheap.
that's kinda why 'bargain' was in quotes; it's the only thing I can remember that hasn't changed price in years.

loveless
23-03-2011, 22:21
"Bargain" no. There are some things that are worth the asking price, however. Naturally, the biggest problem is that the majority of these items are available for 20-25% cheaper from indie retailers so...

jack da greenskin
23-03-2011, 22:57
I was atleast pleasantly suprised by the price and usefulness of the modular movement tray kit. It was big enough to make trays for my entire army, for 6. If that aint good I dont know what is.

But as pointed out, Not much GW sells is worth the price. And you could wayland it for a lot less.

WOO for wayland wednesdays :D :D

scarletsquig
24-03-2011, 01:01
The plastic terrain is excellent value for money compared to the alternatives from other companies... not the trees or the gameboard mind, but the hills, buildings and other pieces represent good value.

The 15-for-5 fantasy plastic cavalry kits are also good value.

Some of the older battalions/ battleforces are pretty good too.

Mega paint set is a decent buy, they should sell it all the time rather than xmas only, I want to buy one.

Dark Eldar range was released at a good price point. The trend didn't continue on to the grey knight release.. the basic troop models are 150% more expensive than the dark eldar ones.

TonyFlow
24-03-2011, 03:47
I think this is excellent value:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440121a&prodId=prod1150009

Especially if you compare to:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1110179

Who came up with that pricing???

Jetty Smurf
24-03-2011, 06:40
I think this is excellent value:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440121a&prodId=prod1150009

Especially if you compare to:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1110179

Who came up with that pricing???

Wow... that's just... I am so confused.

I also agree that the modular movement trays are a VERY good deal. Seriously, they are the only thing I have bought from an actual GW store recently (as opposed to my FLGS (who had none in stock) or online retailers) and I also paid the insane Australian dollar premium, and I STILL was amazed at how cheap they seemed to be.

I also picked up a set of those familiars. Not the best deal, mind (probably because I paid AUD and locally), but they were very good value for money. So much so that I bought the other familiars, even though the deal was not as good. :p

I'm not sure it could be called a bargain, even at GW's standards, but I find the Stegadon from the Lizardmen range to be great value for money. The model is amazing, assembly is fun, the many options... suffice to say that while I have currently stopped at buying 6 of the things, I'm still tempted to bring that to a nice round 10! :D

tu33y
24-03-2011, 11:21
i fear this thread will be stamped on but i agree on the trees and modular tray- they are indeed good.

the cities of death buidings boxes. for 15 you can, if you are clever, make a lot of terrain.

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 18:49
the cities of death buidings boxes. for 15 you can, if you are clever, make a lot of terrain.

I regard these as bargains myself. I picked up a couple of the Basilica boxes and made a lot of scenery for my games.

ColShaw
24-03-2011, 22:02
Old archive metal Imperial Guardsmen aren't terrible, since they've been $45 for 10 guys for a while now... the plastics are starting to catch up!

Hicks
24-03-2011, 23:19
The best deal had to be the Dark Angels upgrade sprues that came in pairs, but I hear you only get one sprue now when you order it. :cries:

I would have liked to make a Fallen army. :(

spaint2k
25-03-2011, 03:11
Come on, admit it. This thread was just intended to help GW hunt down the last few bargains on their site and jack up the prices, right? :)

iamfanboy
25-03-2011, 09:28
Come on, admit it. This thread was just intended to help GW hunt down the last few bargains on their site and jack up the prices, right? :)
Zounds, they have discovered me! Away, lest I fall victim to their blades! *pulls cloak over face and escapes into the night*

BigbyWolf
25-03-2011, 19:58
Some of the Necromunda gangs vary in price nowadays. Last time I checked the Delaque gang was 3-4 more expensive than the Van Saar one.

So I suppose that would be a bargain. At least it is if you prefer bearded blokes in skin-hugging green uniforms over bald blokes in trench coats...

silence
26-03-2011, 00:02
Ok, so it's not the GW site, but Forgeworld Leman Russ varients are only 5 more than the basic GW kit, and although 30 is already alot of money I do not think thats too bad

BaloOrk
26-03-2011, 11:44
The AoBR box was a bargain before they increased its price.
(The hypothetical splash release of warhammer quest will hopefully be a bargain :shifty: :p)

Morkash
27-03-2011, 12:02
The BfSP was 49,99€ when it was released...before it was discontinued it was at roughly 70€. Still a good deal, you cannot own too many Night Goblins!

nedius
27-03-2011, 13:25
The craters

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440312a&prodId=prod1095502

I think that for 10.25 you get a lot of area terrain. They're great accessories for combining with other kits as well.

LonelyPath
30-03-2011, 00:37
@ silence - in the same vain the cheapest FW Medusa costing 38 is also a pretty good deal if you ask me.

@ BaloOrk - I still consider AoBR a bargain considering what you get in the box. The Koptas cost almost as much as AoBR does ;)

Ultimate Life Form
30-03-2011, 02:16
What can YOU find on the GW website that actually offers good value for money, and why?

That tiny red X in the upper right corner of my browser.

Failing that, the Skaven Clanrats... I think they're a very fairly priced kit... to be exact, probably the last one. And IoB... if you need absolutely everything included (which automatically disqualifies the griffin).

Thoume
30-03-2011, 12:37
I'm sure someone will fire a cheaper alternative, but compared to what I can find here the dice cube is pretty good. 15p per die plus scatter and artillery dice if you haven't already got them...

misterboff
03-04-2011, 21:25
The Apocalypse Squadron Command Frame (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440335a&prodId=prod770023a) is pretty good if you can use most of the pieces or share between friends.

At 4.10 I think it's one of the cheapest things available after paints and brushes.

__ALEX__
20-04-2011, 21:17
Those little 'booster boxes' of plastic miniatures I think are probably about worth the money.

I used to pick those up all the time at the local toy shop which stocks some GW stuff. Skeletons, Orcs, Orks, Cadians..

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440249a&prodId=prod1400022

They were about the only things I could find which I could genuinely say were okay value for money as it was still about 1-1.25 per plastic miniature which I'm happy to pay, even if you only get a couple of poses (no problem to convert or do headswaps if you're bothered about that sort of thing).

Even the more expensive 'booster boxes' such as the Space Marines (3 models for a fiver). Compare it to the 'Combat Squad' box which is 5 Marines for 15.50!! Yeah they may have more detail/bits but the cheaper box figures are still the same quality and have enough variety for my liking.

Relatively speaking, these boxes are a 'bargain'.

Some of the Battleforce/Battalion boxes too. The Ravenwing box essentially gives you the Land Speeder and the Attack Bike free.

__ALEX__
20-04-2011, 21:24
While I'm at it, the Space Marine Battalion box is good too, it's almost half the retail price of what's in it.

Scouts = 15.50
Assault Squad = 18.50
Tactical Squad = 23.00
Combat Squad = 15.50
Rhino = 20.50

Retail price would be 93 pounds, the battleforce box is 51.25.

(And I know you were looking for a bargain on the GW website but you'd be a bit silly to not pick this up from a discount store and get a further nice discount on it..)

Of course, you have to also consider the usability of the models in a battleforce, not sure who uses scouts with boltguns in their army..

Myrmidon616
20-04-2011, 23:14
Some of the metal shield bitz packs are pretty good value when compared to thier plastic counterparts, considering that they are metal and that its easier to use all the parts in the kit (no excess shield decals).

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440123a&rootCatGameStyle=

about (very roughly) 6.13 for 10 plastic shields, 6.65 for the metal ones.

Mirbeau
21-04-2011, 13:10
An awful lot of GW's terrain is cracking, top quality and a decent price.

__ALEX__
21-04-2011, 17:34
An awful lot of GW's terrain is cracking, top quality and a decent price.

Agreed. I was in a GW recently for the first time in ages (didn't buy anything though) and while I was shocked at the price of some of the stuff, I thought the terrain was still quite fairly priced especially for the quality.

RunepriestRidcully
21-04-2011, 22:10
scrathc what I was going to say, just checked the website, what was once a good deal is now worse then goldswords

rodmillard
23-04-2011, 12:12
While I'm at it, the Space Marine Battalion box is good too, it's almost half the retail price of what's in it.

Don't jinx it - someone from GW will read the thread and put the prices up :shifty:

shelfunit.
03-05-2011, 06:49
Going out on a limb here, but I think the Epic 6mm infantry is a real bargain. Take this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490035a&prodId=prod1101927) for example. That's a huge chunk of an Imperial guard army for less than 14. 2 of those and you can head off to ebay or other companies for vehicles/titans - those are horribly over priced.

Spectrar Ghost
03-05-2011, 11:08
I'd agree. The infantry boxes are the only Epic product I'd still consider purchasing from GW. I'd go third party (or fleabay) for just about everything else.

Of course, FW has some good prices too, but that's not strictly GW...

Novrain
03-05-2011, 11:27
Yup I will third that. The EPIC infantry boxed sets are still great value for money. 2 boxes will set you up with more than enough infantry for most 3000pt lists.

The only annoyance is the way that you get only 2 stands of each of the aspects in the Eldar box, and the weird composition of the Chaos box.

Dead Man Walking
03-05-2011, 20:19
I can get black primer for $20! Oh wait, I can get the same thing for $9 from privateer press.

You do realise by noting what is worth its value will just cause them to raise the prices on those things?

Personally I am done with buying GW product. The last orc book was a real punch in the face when it went from a $22 book to a $38 book (taxes included). You may say its a color hardcover book but to that I say 75% of the pictures are black and white with a tan color mixed in (which means black and white) and I don't need a hardcover book. What I need is an affordable game.

They have finally after 15 years priced me out of thier game, my gaming group has quit playing it (Over 30 members!) and the only games that are being played are Warmachines/hordes so I can either stop playing anything or go play warmachines. :mad: Someone in my gaming group tried selling thier armies for 65% less than its value and no one wants it.

Kahadras
03-05-2011, 22:53
About the only real bargain nowadays are the starter box sets IMHO which is kinda sad. OK so say you want to start an army. If you decide to go for Skaven then the Island of Blood box set gives you...

1 Warlord
1 Master Moulder
1 Engineer
40 Clan rats
1 Warpfire thrower
1 Poisoned wind morter
2 Rat Ogres

and a rule book.

If you were to buy this individualy it would come up to over 100 pounds for the minatures and is pushing on towards 150 if you throw in the main rule book. The deal gets even better if you can find somebody else who is prepare to swap your Elves for his Skaven. Then you are probably saving yourself over well over 100 pounds!

Kahadras

__ALEX__
05-05-2011, 12:42
Don't jinx it - someone from GW will read the thread and put the prices up :shifty:

Well the newest battalion box is 70 GBP - which moves it into the 'discounted' rather than 'bargain' category for me.

Unfortunate since Tomb Kings were always an army I wanted to get into.