PDA

View Full Version : Who would face a Zombiepocalypse?

Charistoph
23-03-2011, 22:35
In a little over a week my LGS is planning a classic zombie jamboree, 40k-style. We will be facing Typhus, Plague Marines, and ghouls. We get to bring one non Special Character HQ model to the frey. They can be built using standard rules from their codex.

Who would you bring, and what ordnance will they be packing?

Nyctha
23-03-2011, 22:40
A fully upgraded Bloodthirster? That should pretty much wipe the board...
(seriously? no pts limit? I think you might want to discuss that with the organiser)

More seriously, as a Blood Angel player I'd just stick with a JP Epistolary Libby, I'd take Fear of the Darkness and Might of Heroes powers and try running merry rings around the enemy all day.

TheConverter15
23-03-2011, 22:41
Wolf lord with:

Frost blade
Storm shield
Runic armour
Thunderwolf mount
Saga of warrior born
Wolf tail talisman

260pts

Or a Rune preist with JOTWW, hehe all those bunched up zombies :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

cuda1179
23-03-2011, 22:44
I'd go with something that can out-manuver the bad guys. With just one loan character getting bogged down in assault is a death sentence. Shooting is the way to go.

With that said, a Tau Commander with plasma/missile pods would work pretty good. A Space Marine Master of the Forge on a bike with a conversion beamer would be good too.

A Necron lord MIGHT be good for teleporting out of a tricky situation, or just put him on a destroyer body and he becomes hard as nails.

If you wanted to be cheesey, a bloodthirster would be pretty nasty. It can fly whereever it wants, avoid plague marines if needed, shoot when it can, and pretty much rape anything it wants in close combat.

Joustarr
23-03-2011, 22:51
Sounds like a good game. I'd send in my Ravenwing commander in his land speeder. Going by 'Dawn of the Dead' they seem to survive better in a helicopter and on bikes. However I think a lone guardsman would be the last survivor in game.

Charistoph
23-03-2011, 22:58
Sounds like a good game. I'd send in my Ravenwing commander in his land speeder. Going by 'Dawn of the Dead' they seem to survive better in a helicopter and on bikes. However I think a lone guardsman would be the last survivor in game.

He is a Special Character, and therefore forbidden from the game, so no Jet Bike Marines for this game.

I should add that the players get points for achieving certain objectives during the course of the game.

DuskRaider
23-03-2011, 23:02
Warboss in Mega Armor w/ Power Klaw, Kombi-Skorcha, Attack Squig, & Cybork Body. Or maybe a Big Choppa instead... not sure.

Korraz
23-03-2011, 23:04
Wolf lord with:

Frost blade
Storm shield
Runic armour
Thunderwolf mount
Saga of warrior born
Wolf tail talisman

260pts

Or a Rune preist with JOTWW, hehe all those bunched up zombies :evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Doubt it will get much better than this. I can't even think of a Special Character with more Zombie Killing Potential. This guy goes into close combat and just wont stop killing until everything is dead again.

Angelust
23-03-2011, 23:07
Grey knight grand master with warding stave, incinerator, Rad and psychotrokes, orbital strike relay, and servo skulls.

Big bombardment, awesome in combat, incineration for zombies. He's the full package.

TheLaughingGod
23-03-2011, 23:24
Necron Lord, Warscthye, Destroyer Body, Phyactery and Phase Shifter? >:D

Succubus with Hydra Guantlets? Pain tokens!

xxRavenxx
23-03-2011, 23:26
Doooooooooooooooooooomrider!

Leaving counts as surviving, right? :P

ps. I'm aware he's a special character. I just wanted to bring it up...

Vedar
23-03-2011, 23:37
Ya, Bloodthirster for the win.

dancingcricket
23-03-2011, 23:54
No point cost limit?
Lord of Change
+We are Legion
+Master of Sorcery
+Breath of Chaos
+Boon of Mutation
+Instrument of Chaos

That gives the mobility the bloodthirster has, but the ranged firepower he doesn't. You get ID causing CC attacks, a flame template that ignores armor, the ability to shoot multiple targets, and then you can assault the one you like. And the ability to target a character in a squad or combat for a T test or be removed. (Not as useful against high T models, but I've seen it pop a carni and a hive tyrant in the same game.)

'IllBillyOrk
24-03-2011, 00:02
Big mek with burna, 'eavy armour, cybork body, attack squig and a SAG for ***** and giggles. SAG is Shokk Attack Gunn for those that didn't know

carldooley
24-03-2011, 00:08
One model, so no CCS with Master of Ordnance? if that was the case I'd definitely take:

Shas'o
Airbursting Fragmentation Projector
Plasma Rifle
Vectored Retro Thrusters
Iridium armor
HW Blacksun Filter
HW Multitracker
Stimulant Injector

Meckboy
24-03-2011, 00:15
Necron Deciever, or Nightbringer....

TheLaughingGod
24-03-2011, 00:27
Necron Deciever, or Nightbringer....

Special Character: Disqualified!

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 01:53
Grey knight grand master with warding stave, incinerator, Rad and psychotrokes, orbital strike relay, and servo skulls.

Big bombardment, awesome in combat, incineration for zombies. He's the full package.

That is also exactly what I'd take :D

Mannimarco
24-03-2011, 02:00
Special Character: Disqualified!

Shame isnt it but special characters are probably to unbalanced for something like this.

If memory serves me right for 705 points or thereabouts you can get Lord Zhufor with a bodyguard of 10 terminator champions with the icon of Khorne all equipped with twin lightning claws.

Special characters permitted Id go with that but since theyre not its another vote for the wolf lord.

TheLaughingGod
24-03-2011, 02:01
What about a Tervigon? Surely it can spawn more Guants than there are Zombies!!

Or a Hive Tyrant with max upgrades?!

Chrysis
24-03-2011, 02:08
Can Space Wolves still do HQ Dreadnoughts outside of Bjorn?

'IllBillyOrk
24-03-2011, 02:12
What about a Tervigon? Surely it can spawn more Guants than there are Zombies!!

Or a Hive Tyrant with max upgrades?!

My vote is on the Tervigon, that will show those zombies what it means to populate...(closes eyes and drops the 3d6 praying for no doubles on the first turn)

kaimarion
24-03-2011, 02:14
Personally I would use a hive tyrant with:

Twin-linked devourer with brainleech worms
Stranglethorn cannon
Adrenal glands
Toxin sacs
Acid blood
Regeneration
Implant attack
Toxic miasma
Wings

Old adversary
Leech essence
Psychic scream

It comes to around 380pts and all the Tyrant needs to do is sit back and shoot the horde of zombies and occasionally gaining the odd wound back through regeneration and/or leech essence.

Pigboyneo
24-03-2011, 02:39
Can Space Wolves still do HQ Dreadnoughts outside of Bjorn?

not any more :(

ehlijen
24-03-2011, 02:57
C'mon. We all want to bring a priest with an eviscerator and a shotgun, right?

For zombie killing, acccept no substitutes.

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 02:58

Only if the model looks like Bruce Campbell. Then again, I'd likely use that model in such a game regardless of what he's supposed to be representing, heheheh :D

Lord Gabranth
24-03-2011, 03:14
Only if the model looks like Bruce Campbell. Then again, I'd likely use that model in such a game regardless of what he's supposed to be representing, heheheh :D

Here you go and that was my choice too

ooglatjama
24-03-2011, 03:15
I think an Archon with every upgrade would be nasty

Charistoph
24-03-2011, 03:17

For some reason, I pictured Gordon Freeman with that... Of course that could be because I've been playing through the Half-Life series again.

Rogzor87
24-03-2011, 03:28

Thats what I pick. OR!!!! If i really want to.

Both would be normal guardsmen with upgrades of awesomeness.

I'd honestly go with a Necron Lord /w all upgrades. He would be very tough. Probly wouldn't give him a warscythe though so he can staff stuff to death at range. then move away an addition 6" in the assault phase. you could never catch him.

Axeman1n
24-03-2011, 04:30
Farseer on a Jet bike, with every power. I can see Eldrich Storm being able to tear a bunch of zombie's apart.
JotWW would kill Zombies good too, as they probably have very low Initiative.
An Obliterator.
I'm sure a Dread Knight would do very well too.

eyescrossed
24-03-2011, 04:32
Obliterators and Dreadknights aren't HQ choices :p

EDIT: What about a Nurgle Daemon Prince with Nurgle's Rot? Although it seems weird killing Zombies with a disease...

Charistoph
24-03-2011, 04:47
Maybe, but don't forget, the zombies aren't the only thing on the field. Nurgle's Rot will have some difficulties with the Plague Marines and Typhus.

Azzy
24-03-2011, 05:00
Warboss
- Power Klaw
- Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-Weapon
- Warbike
- Ammo Runt
- Attack Squig
- Cybork Body
- Bosspole (just because)

Overlord Krycis
24-03-2011, 05:00
Farseer on jetbike...with mind war and as many other powers as possible?
Nuke Typhus asap. Not to mention he can be pretty survivable against other threats.

Otherwise I'd use:
Wolf Lord
Twin Wolf Claws
Belt of Russ
Runic Armour
Thunderwolf Mount
Saga of the Warrior Born

Just like the wolf lord posted earlier but with re-rolls :D

Although I do like the idea of a Tervigon just spawning termagants to deal with everything... :)

The Ginger Ninja
24-03-2011, 05:36
Necron Lord, Warscthye, Destroyer Body, Phyactery and Phase Shifter? >:D

No point in Phylactery, you would phase out the moment he dropped :(
I would take a Gaze of Flame instead, and maybe a Staff of Light, depending on whether the Zombies are lone models or squads.

Edit:
Phase Out comes after WBB is rolled, so he wouldn't phase out until he'd failed his WBB.
Ignore me :)

Chrysis
24-03-2011, 05:38
No point in Phylactery, you would phase out the moment he dropped :(
I would take a Gaze of Flame instead, and maybe a Staff of Light, depending on whether the Zombies are lone models or squads.

Phase Out comes after WBB is rolled, so he wouldn't phase out until he'd failed his WBB.

Rogzor87
24-03-2011, 05:45
Ash!!!!
Alice!!!!

I'd honestly go with a Necron Lord /w all upgrades. He would be very tough. Probly wouldn't give him a warscythe though so he can staff stuff to death at range. then move away an addition 6" in the assault phase. you could never catch him.

I'm still voting with my Ash, or Alice Model.

If not Necron lord /w all Upgrades. He wouldn't be catched unless you wanted him to be. And then he can just teleport away if it gets to harry. can just fly around and staff stuff if you keep him with the staff or with the warscythe he can go and mop the the plaguemarines and that named guy. But with the Jet bike rules you won't catch him ever. 3+ 4++, then a 4+ WBB, Toughness 6 and gains back multiple wounds. he just won't die.

CushionRide
24-03-2011, 06:13
i guess my biggest question over zombie apoc would be, would you be using the forge world zombie rules, or the ones from the apocolypse update,

the zombie hoard from the FW book has good thought behind it. It seems that the better writers seem to be housed with the forgeworld team

vraks zombies =
6pts, WS2, BS-, S4, T3, W1, I3, A1, Ld5, 6+sv
Fearless, Feel no Pain, Shambling
unit size - 10-50

the Apocolypse zombies
5pts, ws2, bs1, s3, t2, w1, i1, a1, ld10, sv-
feel no pain, fearless, poisoned weapons, Lord of Zombies, Join us!!
grasping hands and jaws count as 2 ccw's

the big issue i have with the apoc zombies is that i dont think that gw thought through what feel no pain means with toughness 2. but i suppose a guy in space marine armor in hand to hand will smash through a couple of undead. i think they should keep the 6+ save just to humor the lack of feel no pain the player will recieve from the Toughness 2

i kinda wish they had combined the stats better :P

TheLaughingGod
24-03-2011, 06:17

Well, if THAT'S What you want, you need to take an Autarch on Jetbike with a Reaper Launcher. Necron jetbikes are not Eldar jetbikes and do not have the 6" move in the assault phase :P

I'd take the Warscythe primarily to kill Typhus.

eyescrossed
24-03-2011, 06:18
I'm thinking the Vraks zombies. Why're they Initiative 3, though?

ehlijen
24-03-2011, 06:21
i guess my biggest question over zombie apoc would be, would you be using the forge world zombie rules, or the ones from the apocolypse update,

the zombie hoard from the FW book has good thought behind it. It seems that the better writers seem to be housed with the forgeworld team

vraks zombies =
6pts, WS2, BS-, S4, T3, W1, I3, A1, Ld5, 6+sv
Fearless, Feel no Pain, Shambling
unit size - 10-50

the Apocolypse zombies
5pts, ws2, bs1, s3, t2, w1, i1, a1, ld10, sv-
feel no pain, fearless, poisoned weapons, Lord of Zombies, Join us!!
grasping hands and jaws count as 2 ccw's

the big issue i have with the apoc zombies is that i dont think that gw thought through what feel no pain means with toughness 2. but i suppose a guy in space marine armor in hand to hand will smash through a couple of undead. i think they should keep the 6+ save just to humor the lack of feel no pain the player will recieve from the Toughness 2

i kinda wish they had combined the stats better :P

T2 still gets FNP against S3, ie any regular human, eldar or tau in combat, plus lasguns. For the points that's not too bad. When you bring automatic grenade cannons into it, then yeah, badly decayed human bodies tend to fall apart, FNP or not.

CushionRide
24-03-2011, 06:26
yea i understand that, unfortunately though, most of the people i play are running str 4 min. so aside from flavor the i dont see the zombies very effective. i am building a zombie guard army, so...... i plan on having fun with it lol i do like the poison rules in the apoc though that is very cool

CthulhuDalek
24-03-2011, 06:31
OMG a game where I can make a cool Hive Tyrant??

tyrant
LW BS (for typhus and thats my model)
twin-devourers (strangle would be better, but my tyrant loves close action anyway!
old adversary (he's been eating zombies forevz)
adrenal (LOL)
acid blood
toxic miasma (our rot is better than yours!)
regen
wings

Or, if I was silly one of those 2+ wounding back upgrades, and praying that he didn't die...

CthulhuDalek
24-03-2011, 06:32
yea i understand that, unfortunately though, most of the people i play are running str 4 min. so aside from flavor the i dont see the zombies very effective. i am building a zombie guard army, so...... i plan on having fun with it lol i do like the poison rules in the apoc though that is very cool

What about... No retreat? :)

Xabraxis
24-03-2011, 06:41
Provided that Greater Daemons or Daemon Princes are out of the question,

Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord with either a bike, or wings/jump pack. Take any extra upgrades to make it awesome. Take Gift of Chaos and warp time.

You know whats better than a Toughness 2/3 zombie? Chaos Spawn. And the power is used at the beginning of the turn, so the Sorcerer can turn two models into spawn than fly out of range if not in combat.

This scenario needs non t4 +3 save characters.

TheLaughingGod
24-03-2011, 07:05
Perhaps an Ancient Haemonculus? Well.. I just want to see a bunch of Wracks killing zombies.

I could also go with an Autarch with Jetbike, Chainsword, Mandiblasters, Deathspinner. That'll learn 'em!

Ulrig
24-03-2011, 08:08
Lelith Hesperax

She has a crazy high dodge
She would have a insane number of attacks
she would always attack first

You could get swarmed and swarmed and swarmed again, and you would never go down.

Rogzor87
24-03-2011, 08:25
Lelith Hesperax

She has a crazy high dodge
She would have a insane number of attacks
she would always attack first

You could get swarmed and swarmed and swarmed again, and you would never go down.

No named HQ's ): or there would be many really good options.

Sondosia
24-03-2011, 09:19
Inquisitor with Daemon Hammer.
Commassair with Power Fist.
Kraskin Sergeant with Hellgun and Power Sword.
Mix with one trukk and a Zombie+Genestealer infestation and this it what we ended up doing.

There was another group but they imobilised on the non destroyed bridge beside ours and that had both ends blocked up pretty quick.

Meckboy
24-03-2011, 13:28
Shop smart....

Shop S Mart!

Nothing says Zombie Killing like Ash, just proxy the Hive Tyrant rules for him lol.

Axeman1n
24-03-2011, 13:42
If every zombie was an individual unit, it might make it tougher.

Mannimarco
24-03-2011, 13:48
Somebody wanna give me a link to where you can get these ash minis?

Meckboy
24-03-2011, 14:49

Here to serve.....

http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=2208

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 15:25
Thanks for that link, I've been after a Ash model for my own Penal Legion Squads. For some reason I've looked at a lot of Hasslefree's stuff but never spotted that Ash model, lol.

Also, all the Ash-related models in this thread are pure win (the Alice model is quite nice too but I'd prefer one based on her in Apocalypse).

Wade Wilson
24-03-2011, 15:26
Looks to me like a winged hive tyrant with many an upgrade or a Lord of Change kitted out to the max should be able to both keep out of range and dish out loads of firepower as well as being tough enough to make a mess in c/c if it got cornered. a keeper of secrets would probably be quite nasty with fleet and hit n' run as well.

gwarsh41
24-03-2011, 15:57
Ya, Bloodthirster for the win.

Dont rule out a GUO, fight pestilence with pestilence. The cloud of flies could probably do some damage.

I would really go with the decked out wolf lord above though. Speed, resilience, and saga of the warrior born makes him pretty powerful. I have done some trials with those lords fighting guardsmen. Average killing done was +70 before the bad dice rolls took him out.

A Rune Priest with JotWW and murderous hurricane would also mess up some serious face. Plus it would have the range to take out enemies from afar.

I tried to make a game with Bag o Zombies and 40k, we never got too far. Had loads of fun with it though.

Oakwolf
24-03-2011, 16:03
Indeed, Ash is the top zombie killer (or his incarnation as Mitch Hunter in Warzone). There's something a bout a normal human doing a zombie crawl.

As for me...

I'd have to go with either a Keeper of Secret, or a DE succubus.

Hendarion
24-03-2011, 16:23
Ha!

We're going to make a Zombiepocalypse Part 3 in April. Two other parts had been played already before in our local GW-store. :D

TooMad
24-03-2011, 16:34
Is an Avatar a special character? With his WS they would need 5s to hit him and 6s to wound him. I think the oh so reliable mathhammer on that says it would take 216 zombies rolling an attack on him to bring him down, or 108 if they got the charge. He wouldn't do so much damage though not even earning his points back after 6 rounds of combat.

jsullivanlaw
24-03-2011, 17:58
LOL, everyone is trying to break the game. Typical of 40k players. If you take a shooty character that can move 12inch you probably don't ever have to worry about being hit in hand to hand. You'd better hope there are a lot of zombies and other nasty stuff or you are gonna get a bunch of broken things murdering them all without breaking a sweat.

TheConverter15
24-03-2011, 17:59
Style over sense :D

DuskRaider
24-03-2011, 18:20
Ya know, come to think of it... An Archon WOULD be pretty dang nasty against something like this. Just have to make sure you don't fail that Shadowfield, lol.

riotknight
24-03-2011, 18:23
When we did this we had every zombie count as an individual unit, We also were allowed to attack each other if it seemed to fit. My Jump Pack SS+TH Blood Angels Captain made it about half wayt through the game before some bad rolls got himself killed. I'm pretty sure a Hive Tyrant Won, but only just.

the thing of it was that once you were in combat, you were screwed, and every round of turns meant more zombies appearing so you could move18+ inches, and if you got unlucky in the dice rolling, a flock of zombies may come in from your board edge. A smart/interesting game master for it is required, otherwise it's easy to break the game, so how do you prevent it? Zombie player breaks the game first. When I would run something like this, I'd have a system where each player rolls a die at the start of their turn, on a roll of 1-3 they moved as normal, on a roll of 4+ they rolled a further D6 and got a result, my favourite was a 1 "WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?!" where D3+1 zombies were placed in base Contact with the model. Wasn't scary enough to break the game most times, but it certainly stopped people from making builds intended to abuse the spirit of the event.

ghost21
24-03-2011, 18:25
id go for a sucubus with shardnet n impaler

Telesedrin
24-03-2011, 20:36
DEldar Archon w/

Shadow Field
Husk Blade
Soul Trap

Rogzor87
24-03-2011, 20:44

http://www.studiominiatures.com/Shop/Survivors.html

you gets lots of choices. Here with some awesome movie characters

Bruce Campbel
Milla jovovich
Arnold Schwar....
Bruce Willis
John Leguizamo
Kurt Russel
Jessie Eisenburg and Woody Harrelson
Wizard of OZ
No idea what the last group of survivors are....

Oh and if you pick the Zombies you can get a George A Romero Zombie!

ShodansOwn
24-03-2011, 20:52

I see the Ash reference, but for a second I thought you were referring to the priest from Dead Alive/Braindead "I kick ass for the lord!"

carldooley
24-03-2011, 21:19
LOL, everyone is trying to break the game. Typical of 40k players. If you take a shooty character that can move 12inch you probably don't ever have to worry about being hit in hand to hand. You'd better hope there are a lot of zombies and other nasty stuff or you are gonna get a bunch of broken things murdering them all without breaking a sweat.

shooty fast characters break the game? for the first few turns they do, however, when they get cornered and have nowhere to move to (easily accomplished by not allowing escape to second floors\rooftops) they will die spectacularly or without a hiccup.

Bergen Beerbelly
24-03-2011, 21:39
I'd take an Ork Weirdboy warphead just for the laugh.

Wade Wilson
25-03-2011, 10:47
Take a Herald of Nurgle...just to confuse the zombies. (40k version of Shaun of the Dead)

Is there a points limit for characters in this? I would be quite interested in trying somthing like this out with a few mates...

ehlijen
25-03-2011, 12:49
ShodansOn: Yeah, the priest part was only because as far as I know it's the only model in the current codices with access to both.

Rogzor: Is it just me or the minis get more and more deformed the further you scroll down the page?

MOMUS
25-03-2011, 12:58
Daemon prince with gift of chaos?
I cant remember if its a T or Ld test but zombies are low on both right?

Are the 'alive' players playing together in a small warband? Like left 4 dead, or are they alone?

LonelyPath
25-03-2011, 13:35
No idea what the last group of survivors are....

The last group are Rick, Lori and Carl from The Walking dead, recognized them as soonm as I saw them, Definitely getting that pack :)

Hypaspist
25-03-2011, 13:52
You know, if special characters *had* been allowed, the parasite of mortrex would have been fun simply for the fun aspect of killing zombies and making rippers!

As it stands... I think a pimped out Court of the Archon would be pretty nails.
Two spanky template weapons (from the medusae), most, if not all going on high(er) initiative, and a bucketload of attacks from the sllyth should make short enough work of any zombies unfortunate to be left...

:evil:
(AND it would be fun!)

eyescrossed
26-03-2011, 04:48
Hypaspist, isn't it one HQ model?

That, and you can't take a Court without an Archon. Otherwise people could suggest Honour Guard or squads of Warlocks.

MidnightKid333
26-03-2011, 18:01
this idea beats all!

Hive Tyrant w 2 TL brainleech devourers
Armored shell
Toxic miasma
acid blood
implant attack
hive commander
old adversary
Indescribable horror
adrenal glands
toxin sacs
regeneration

(only) 400 points :evilgrin:

Blademeister
27-03-2011, 20:07
Wolf lord with:

Frost blade
Storm shield
Runic armour
Thunderwolf mount
Saga of warrior born
Wolf tail talisman

260pts

I think that is as goood as it's going too get lol.