PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Dark Eldar Models

lordofevil
23-03-2011, 23:40
I've been working on a DE army for over a year (with the old codex) and got the new one when it came out. I've been working on painting them and getting the army upto code. The problem is that I will be running a fair number of old warriors along with incubi. Will this look odd alongside some newer plastics? Also any idea of what to use the old Archon model power fist weapon as? I was debating as a huskblade or agonoiser.

Fist full of Pills
23-03-2011, 23:49
I still mix in old DE to this day. Why just waste your beloved models. The claw thing on the old archon was how the old agonisers looked.

Oakwolf
24-03-2011, 00:17
There's no reason to stop using the old models, really. It's a good way to prevent $ spending sprees.

lordofevil
24-03-2011, 17:07
Thanks. I didn't know how silly the older models would look on the table with the newer alternatives available. I am going to have to take some artistic lisence with the older sculpts (what counts as an agonizer), but I still love the older incubi and just want a good looking army which will be mixed of old and new.

Torpedo Vegas
24-03-2011, 17:10
I don't see why not. I have 11 old Reaver jetbikes, about 4 old raiders and 2 of the metal/plastic hybrid raiders in my army, and I use the old Grotesques as Haemunculi.

eldargal
24-03-2011, 17:13
If you like them, go ahead. Personally I've spent the last twelv years cannibalising my old DE for bits for scenic bases and terrain because I hate them all with a passion. But thats just me.

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 17:53
I have a rule of "if it still works, use it". If you have those models, keep using them, there is no point in getting new models when you already have others that fill that purpose. I have models that are over 20 years old that I still use in current armies. However, I must confess that sometimes I will start a army again from scratch (my DA and Orks are guilty of this) with new models if I want to reserve the old ones purely for my collection, displays or generally think the old ones don't look right. But they still see battle in larger Apocalypse games:)

jsullivanlaw
24-03-2011, 17:54
The old warriors were incredibly ugly. I used converted fantasy models for most of my army before the new models. They mix well with the new models since they look good and the new models look good. I still use the old reavers more as a money and time saver. I think the models are ok. The old incubi are still fine as well and i use them. I wouldn't use old warriors or wyches though. And i still use the old raiders and ravagers even though the new ones are pretty awesome.

Lord Gabranth
24-03-2011, 18:26
I think that it would look fine, I did the same thing with my CSM terminators that I had from 3.5 when they were metal and then got the new plastic one and ran them in the same squad.

Max_Killfactor
24-03-2011, 18:33
I mix them too, I don't think it's a big deal. My color scheme is the same, so they look fine to me. The wych mix looks kinda funky though, especially because the old ones are metal. Wyches will probably be the first models I completely upgrade with the newer ones.

The old Incubi are solid models, they still ooze menace. They may end up being the last thing I replace... if I replace them at all.

Dvora
24-03-2011, 18:36
" Hey look guys, I played Dark Eldar before they were cool!" that's a good sign by the way.

megatrons2nd
25-03-2011, 01:47
I took several of my older warriors and popped some of their old heads/arms off for new ones. You have to trim them a bit to fit but it looks fine on them.

lordofevil
25-03-2011, 02:04
Also just wondering how they look mixed in with squads of newer models? Just to distribute weapons in (specials) as I have cannons out the deep end, but never sprang for the blistered shredders/blasters, and want to put the second weapon in there since I can't take 4 cannons anymore. Also I partly ask because generation to generations marines look about the same, but the new warriors look vastly different. I can't wait to get my hands on some witches now though.

megatrons2nd
25-03-2011, 02:09
I think they look fine in the same squad. That is how mine are. They look different, but they don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Achaylus72
25-03-2011, 02:36
I have just added 5 old school plastic Khorne Berzerkers into my Khorne Chosen Chaos Space Marines unit and they look fantastic.

So if isn't broke don't fix it, do what you feel is right.

ShaiAhlude
26-03-2011, 03:09
I personally kept my warriors as warriors, as I happen to have a boatload of them. For my new lists, all Trueborn have faces, all warriors have helmets. Easy & saves on the pocketbook.
I am probably in the minority about warriors as most DE players have despised them since about 4th edition.
And my Incubi are here to stay. They are still wicked cool.
Probably keeping the Talos, as I have converted 2 of them.
Scourges are a 50/50 shot, depending on good the new models are, and how expensive they are.
Since I only like 1 of the old Haemi models, they will spiffy & new when they can.;)
Sold off all my old Raiders, ravagers, wyches, hellions, mandrakes, reavers, warp beasts & the one squad of Grots I had.
Bottom Line: It's YOUR Army! I doubt anyone will have a major problem mixing old & new models, since every long time gamer has done it. (unless they're filthy, filthy rich & can afford all the new models each time a codex is updated).

Mit Gas
26-03-2011, 04:10
I think the old Incubi are ten times as cool as the new ones. At least their helmets are way superior to the chaos rip-off helmets they sport now. Such a shame but thankfully I still have a few old Incubi...

a good colorsheme can tie almost everything together, so I think you're fine with mixing your minis. Some of the old DE stuff was pretty cool in my book.

ShodansOwn
26-03-2011, 10:00
If you can blend bitz between new and old models (New arms on old bodies, etc), you might not have any issues at all. I mean, I dont think its much of an issue anyways. If they have similar paint schemes, they'll look like they belong tongether.

spaghettyhoop
26-03-2011, 12:17
I prefer some of the old models,plus I like mixing stuff up. I really really dont like the new incubi, so I use my old ones. Plus, most dont agree, but I dont like the new wyches, and am still using my old ones. Heres an example of my army from a 500 point flash tourney I played last weekend for example, new and old (and converted) models, and doesnt look out of place at all!

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/spaghettyhoop/Dark%20Eldar/2011-03-15133605.jpg

Raibaru
26-03-2011, 15:28
Use old warriors as warriors. Use new warriors as trueborn. I mean you'd expect the 'royals' of DE society to have better gear.

And I'm with you on the incubi. I like how they were portrayed as evil striking scorpions much like their phoenix lord. Now they're just murderers that don't feel like an aspect squad anymore, but just another bunch of sociopaths.

I sold all mu stuff a ways back because I sword I'd never be sucked back into this hobby. But all my old models I did keep are just scenery now. For example, the old raiders I had are being turned into wrecks.

lordofevil
27-03-2011, 05:32
I prefer some of the old models,plus I like mixing stuff up. I really really dont like the new incubi, so I use my old ones. Plus, most dont agree, but I dont like the new wyches, and am still using my old ones. Heres an example of my army from a 500 point flash tourney I played last weekend for example, new and old (and converted) models, and doesnt look out of place at all!

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww169/spaghettyhoop/Dark%20Eldar/2011-03-15133605.jpg

Thank you for the picture, it does help a lot. Also sweet venom, I wish I could convert effectively. I do like the models the mixed way. I'm debating just what I have (I'm horrible at inventory) and I bought the apocalypse splash release and I don't remember what was in it specifically. I actually still like the old raiders and I'm not sure why though (I think I like the Star Wars skiff esq part). Thankfully I stopped some assembly due to running out of green stuff, as i do a custom basing for each model that highlights my lack of skill with putty, but still looks decent (this is DE only). I appreciate the help with this as I was kind of crushed that they redid our warriors but left the kind of mediocre Guardians.