PDA

View Full Version : Chaos General and mark liabilities

Malchek
27-03-2006, 17:14
Hi everyone

Over on the army list forum I'm having an argument about whether or not you have to have a unit in your army with the same mark as your general...

Now as I understand it - and its pretty clear to me in the dex - if your general has a mark then all other units in your army must have the same mark, the mark of chaos undivided or have no mark at all.

Nowhere does it state that one of your units must have the same mark as your general.

This only relates to heroes who have a different mark to your general - then u must have at least 1 unit with the same mark.

Therefore I can have my General with a mark of Tzeentch and no units with the mark of Tzeentch.

Am I right or am I right ;)

Cheers

Malchek

Festus
27-03-2006, 17:41
Hi

The mortal or daemonic General may be marked other than Undivided (Greater Daemon Generals are always marked).

If you do so, no unit or character in the Army may have a different Mark than the one chosen, or Undivided, or no Mark at all.

If he is Undivided, you may mix and match Marks freely (a character may only be marked in this case if you have at least one unit or chariot equally marked).

Remember that a Marked Character (even Undivided) may only join units with his own Mark or unmarked units.

That is the rules.

Greetings
Festus

T10
28-03-2006, 06:12
To sum it up:

The General has the Mark of Chaos Undivided. Units and characters in his army may have:
- No Mark
- The Mark of Chaos Undivided
- The Mark of Khorne.
- The Mark of Nurgle.
- The Mark of Slaanesh.
- The Mark of Tzeentch.

The General has the Mark of Nurgle. Units and characters in his army may have:
- No Mark
- The Mark of Chaos Undivided
- The Mark of Nurgle.

The remaining combinations should be easily extrapolated.

-T10

Pravus
28-03-2006, 09:31
One addendum: Minotaurs are a special case; they can only have the same mark as the general or no mark at all (including the normally accessible MoCU)

MarcoPollo
29-03-2006, 18:45
The section in the book you are looking for is on Page 55 of the Hordes of Chaos Book. Now I am from Canada so I don't know if the book is the same as the one where you are from.

1st column, last paragraph. It says, (and I'm sorry I don't have the book right in front of me--but I was thinking of you, Malcheck, when I went to look for it) that any "character" with a mark must have a unit with the same mark in the army.

So, if you have a Tzeetch lord, you must have a Tzeetch unit somewhere. It could be a demon unit, or a mortal unit, or a beast unit. You could have Tzeetch bestigors and a Tzeetch Demon Lord if you wanted. Conversely, you will need a unit with the mark of Chaos undivided if you have a character with the mark of undivided. So, since your characters come with atleast the mark of Undivided, you cannont have a complete army of marauders (no mark).

Malchek
29-03-2006, 21:05
Well I'm sorry friend but either ur book is completely differnet to mine or its a matter of the way we're reading it - the way I read it - u don't have to have the mark of ur general in the army - u can have all units with no mark or the mark of chaos undivided. That simple. Look at the other posts in this thread and ull see others agree...

Festus
30-03-2006, 17:26
Hi

Yes, Malcheck is correct: A General can always be given a Mark, even if there is no marked unit present.

If the General has the MoUndivided, you must have a correlating unit to Mark any characters.

It is in the two bullet points on p.55

Greetings
Festus

MarcoPollo
08-04-2006, 02:36
I guess you could read those bullets like that. But it seems silly that if an exalted with a mark has to have a unit present to support it, why then shouldn't a Lord (character) be forced to as well.

I know that our gaming group has always played it that way (general needs a unit with a mark too). But I suppose if you want to split hairs, the wording is a little murky and leaves room for arguments on both sides.

Festus
08-04-2006, 20:54
Hi

I guess you could read those bullets like that. But it seems silly that if an exalted with a mark has to have a unit present to support it, why then shouldn't a Lord (character) be forced to as well.
Maybe because it has nothing to do with Lord or Hero status, but with being the General?

A Champion of one of the Powers gathers his followers, who have not yet been recognised by the Power.

If there is a Champion of a different Power joining this army, he comes along with his own troop of followers...

Greetings
Festus

Latro
08-04-2006, 21:01
You know, that actually makes kinda sense ... how very un-chaotic ;)

Strictly Commercial
09-04-2006, 08:07
Page 55, HoC:

If your general worships chaos undivided then you may mix other marks in your army freely, with the following exception - you may only give a mark to a character if the army also contains a unit or chariot with the same mark (other than a spawn of chaos).

It's the only time you have to have a character/unit mark match.

MarcoPollo
10-04-2006, 05:15
I suppose that the rules will allow the general to not be matched with a unit mark. But it does seem unfluffy though. But this goes to show the ingruencies between what a chaos army should look like (lots of models with no general theme -- ie Chaotic). And the fact that there is order in this chaos theme. I mean, why call it "Chaos" if you are going to be organized into separate themes.

To take a Chaos army literally, it should include mortals, demons and beasts of various Marks.

This is a very fine point that you all are making. I guess it just gives more options than I already thought I had.

Festus
10-04-2006, 07:30
Hi

I mean, why call it "Chaos" if you are going to be organized into separate themes.

In a metaphysical / religious sense, Chaos is not the opposite of order, but it is the opposite of Kosmos.

Chaos is a Realm where the Power flows in a highly irregular pattern, gravitating around certain specific kernels but following a route all of their own. Kosmos is a realm - like our reality - where the Power follows strict routes defined by rules and laws. Gravity is a good example, as is human society as a whole.

The troops and characters of Chaos - human and otherwise - may or may not be driven by any of those metaphysical powers (as Empire soldiers may or may not believe in Sigmar), but they will still have agendas all of their own. And they will choose their followers according to those agendas, motives, and aims.

This may well take the form of a disciplined troop of only human warriors, or only believers/followers in/of one particular power, creatin a very ordered impressin.

Greetings
Festus

Inkwizytor
12-04-2006, 13:52
To take a Chaos army literally, it should include mortals, demons and beasts of various Marks.

This is a very fine point that you all are making. I guess it just gives more options than I already thought I had.

Well, your're quite right. But there is mistake in your thinking-Chaos model are too expensive in points cost to have many models in your army ;)