PDA

View Full Version : space wolf successor chapters

zantis
24-03-2011, 06:28
I know about the wolf brothers (or is it bretheren) but i havent been able to find their paint scheme anywhere. Are there any other successor wolf chapters, if so, where could i find a paint scheme for them.

Charistoph
24-03-2011, 07:03
The Wolf Brothers Chapter is the reason there are no Space Wolf successor chapters. Things went.... poorly... for them.

Or as Bolter and Chainsword put it under their "Don'ts of DIY Creation":

Donít use Space Wolf gene-seed for your chapter
The Space Wolves had one successor chapter, the Wolf Brothers, and they were described as being ill-fated. The Space Wolf gene-seed is extremely unstable, and due to the Canis Helix, no other chapter seems to be able to survive with it. The supporting quote both states the fate of the Wolf Brothers and the reaction of the High Lords of Terra.

The Space Wolves were never a very large Legion and so were divided only once, creating the ill-fated Wolf Brothers Chapter. Perhaps the High Lords recognised the problems of genetic instability that would plague the genetic seed of Leman Russ, giving rise in later times to the terrible curse of Wulfen, and therefore decided against dividing and further spreading the Space Wolves' genetic base.

This isn't the end of the story though. To allow people to form the own Space Wolf forces, Games Workshop granted us the Lost Companies. Aurelius Rex has wrote a fantastic article on the matter of Lost Companies.

Finally, if you just want to use the Space Wolf codex, it is much easier and more in-line with the background just to have your own feral chapter from a different genetic source.

Nurgling Chieftain
24-03-2011, 07:08
Officially, the only successor chapter is the "ill-fated" Wolfbrothers. My recollection is they were just darker.

leonmallett
24-03-2011, 09:08
While n ot successors, the 13th Company can be created with the SW Codex, and they will look substantively different visually to the parent chapter.

Sephiroth
24-03-2011, 10:12
Space Wolves have no Successors. However, they do have "Lone Wolf" Companies...

Grimmeth
24-03-2011, 10:32
Lots of companies have ran off into the warp and got lost - it's entirely possible they'll have gone on to do their own thing and formed almost mini-chapters of their own.

ehlijen
24-03-2011, 10:49
If you want to do it, do it. GW gave us a huge universe full of conflicting themes and logic to play around in so we can find our own balance of silly and cool.

GW actively encourages us to paint their named characters 'wrong' and calling them something else. Why not do it to chapters?

Draigo
24-03-2011, 10:54
The thirteenth company.

Overlord Krycis
24-03-2011, 12:34
The thirteenth company.

Which isn't a successor chapter... :eyebrows:
It's the 13th company of the Space Wolves Legion...composed mostly of those afflicted by the Curse of the Wulfen (iirc).

Like has already been said though, there are LOADS of Lost Companies that could be used...Skyrar's Dark Wolves are a good example of one turning to chaos (not to mention the Space Wolves which turned to Chaos with Huron :D )

AndrewGPaul
24-03-2011, 12:39
So, to actually answer the other part of the OP's question, you won't find a paint scheme.

What I'm going to suggest may be radical but ... make one up. :)

CelestialDragonKing
24-03-2011, 14:30
There is one Wolf Brother in the novel Dead Sky, Black Sun. I'm not sure if the color of his armor is ever mentioned. I don't remember if he even said anything either. I thought it was a lost opportunity to have some cool side story with him.

If I remember right, the SW are not set to only 100 men a company. Each their companies can be up to 1000 men? So they are about the same as they were pre-heresy. So one of those companies could easily be lost and become their own at some point. The thing is they have to start out as SW at some point I think.

shadowhawk2008
24-03-2011, 18:30
Ragnar currently has the biggest great company at about a 200+ marines.

Venerable Player
25-03-2011, 20:53
Indeed, some of the GCs seem to be weaker even than Codex companies. Though most should be at about the same size. Not sure, if Ragnar's company is larger than that of the Great Wolf, too. It could be, or the GW's company doesn't count as Great Company in that case.

shadowhawk2008
25-03-2011, 21:15
The Great Wolf's great company does count as that. It just happens to be made up largely of the auxiliaries - Wolf Priests, Iron Priests, Rune Priests and definitely some top notch Wolf Guard units as well.

shin'keiro
25-03-2011, 21:28
There are no successor chapters for the Space Wolves...

For more info on the 13th Great Company of the Space Wolves check out my codex (link below in sig.)

shadowhawk2008
25-03-2011, 21:54
To be fair, the Wolves could have a successor out there they are not aware of. A result of either the Dark Founding or the Cursed Founding.

bignbadbum
25-03-2011, 23:33
If I recall, the 13th company doesn't just include the Wulfen or Russ's bodyguard post-Heresy, but is used as a reference for ALL Lost Companies regardless of why they are "lost". Such as turning to chaos or recanting their oaths or simply went missing or lost in the warp.

shadowhawk2008
26-03-2011, 08:06
Its a catch all phrase used since the Heresy. Doesn't mean that the 13th actually has blood claws and grey hunters and storm claws and scouts and all :)

I guess you can differentiate between the original 13th and the contemporary 13th although I just personally disregard the 'contemporary' 13th.