PDA

View Full Version : Movement trays as an actual means of transportation.

Inquizitor Aohd
24-03-2011, 14:46
I just got a box set of pistoleers and of coarse this comes with outrider parts. I donít have enough horses or bodies to make all of them, but I was thinking I could use the out rider guns if I used the bodies of swordsmen.

Now, this would make them infantry, but what I was thinking was that I would put each of them on scenic cavalry bases which would fit into a movement tray in the shape of a steam powered wagon. There would be a unit fill in the shape of a steam engine. My musician could play a pipe-organ or similarly giant instrument.

I guess my question would be, would you have a problem with this concept? And what would be the best shape to make the base? There will be 8 members of the unit. I was thinking that 2x4 or upping the number of members by 1 and going 3 x3. I want to have to reform the least number of times.

MarshalFaust
24-03-2011, 17:02
its sounds like an interesting idea and i dont see it being confused as any other type of unit so i say go for it. the more creativity in this hobby the better.

Malorian
24-03-2011, 17:29
Talk to your gaming group. They are the ones that matter in the end as to what they will allow.

popisdead
24-03-2011, 17:41
A local O&G player has his units in cases that are stored such that they are set up when he takes the whole kit out of the case. Makes set up a breeze so I can vote for it, even if I don't do it.

Gandalf the Gay
25-03-2011, 12:15
I think the idea is awesome, but I don't see how it would work out. If you think you have the required skill to pull it off, do it.

Urgat
25-03-2011, 14:12
I think you'd be better off modelling the wagon on the bases as you want, but leave the tray itself out of all that :p

Zark the Damned
25-03-2011, 15:38
Like has been said, it depends on your gaming group mostly. However please note that 8th ed uses TLOS so the the overall dimensions (height, width, length) should approximate the troops as if they were an actual unit of Outriders (certainly the 'footprint' of bases will have to be the same).

Also you will need to make it obvious where the 'base grid' is for the purposes of being hit with template weapons.

Personally, I feel that such a conversion is more one for Golden Daemon than the game itself. It would probably work out better getting spare horses and mounting the swordsmen on them.

Inquizitor Aohd
25-03-2011, 16:16
Like has been said, it depends on your gaming group mostly. However please note that 8th ed uses TLOS so the the overall dimensions (height, width, length) should approximate the troops as if they were an actual unit of Outriders (certainly the 'footprint' of bases will have to be the same).

Also you will need to make it obvious where the 'base grid' is for the purposes of being hit with template weapons.

Personally, I feel that such a conversion is more one for Golden Daemon than the game itself. It would probably work out better getting spare horses and mounting the swordsmen on them.

Fair point. Essentially wagon would be a really fancy movment tray, so the foot print would still be the model's standard cavalry bases. I can make it so that the "Wagon" Movement tray results in the same height as a mounted troop.

The thing I am worried about would be the reduced utility of the unit, because the specialty tray would make reforms to avoid terrain (one of the nicer aspects of fast cavalry) awkward.