PDA

View Full Version : adeptus custodes paint scheme

da big mek
24-03-2011, 17:46
Dear All,

I'm building a custodesarmy using the new grey knight rules. Its an idea Ive had for awhile so Ive pretty much assembled all the bits I'll ever need.
My question is what has everyone's experience been with painting them or gold armored marines in general?
In particular I was curious about what color they should be primed. Ive heard and read numerous opinions ranging from army painter standard brown, krylon ruddy brown to generic black.

Lord Gabranth
24-03-2011, 18:14
Never had to paint a golden army yet but as for priming it all depends on how dark/bright you want the gold to be. In my experience, I have used black primer spray paint on my Ultramarines just because I like how dark the blue the color gets compared to painting on top of white primer.

But when in doubt, test it out.

I would test 3 or 4 models based with various spray paints, like ruddy brown, gray, white, and black. See what you like the best on your models.

ghost21
24-03-2011, 18:21
you could either go the metalic route or try to use a yellow orange tone to simulate gold , ive used the simulate one to great effect on blood angels

Draconis
24-03-2011, 18:24
If you dont want your gold to dark or bright, take a flat grey approach. Or a tan primer. Both will work very well. Or black with a GW foundation paint in a medium brown before the gold. I'd paint with a bright gold and then wash it a few times to bring it down to the color your wanting. Probably gryphon seppia.

lordofevil
24-03-2011, 18:31
I've gotten a good gold tone using black primer. I did just straight shining gold over black before and got a decent gold out of it. I'd say to use the test model idea, and the sepia wash works wonders on metal. Do a few coats on boltgun yields a great brass/bronze. That's just my .02 though.

Mannimarco
24-03-2011, 18:32
For something a bit different you can get a nice gold from drybrushing boltgun metal and doing several sepia washes.

MajorWesJanson
24-03-2011, 18:42
I've found metallic paints work far better over dark primers. White and tan primers don't work well as a base for golds or silvers in my experience.

Lord Gabranth
24-03-2011, 19:09
I've found metallic paints work far better over dark primers. White and tan primers don't work well as a base for golds or silvers in my experience.

I agree with that. Metal paints like Mithril Silver really showed up nice on my Ultramarines which were primed black

LonelyPath
24-03-2011, 19:13
I undercoat anything metallic in black. If the finished colour is to be gold I then paint a thin basecoat of Tin Bitz before I start adding gold on top.

superdupermatt
24-03-2011, 20:50
For something a bit different you can get a nice gold from drybrushing boltgun metal and doing several sepia washes.

I use mithril silver followed by gryphonne sepia wash as a gold. It's a nice look, otherwise I use the full blown gold technique too, which is time intensive.

Mannimarco
24-03-2011, 21:57
I use mithril silver followed by gryphonne sepia wash as a gold. It's a nice look, otherwise I use the full blown gold technique too, which is time intensive.

That not end up a bit bright? I suppose it would maybe be ok for the Custodes whereas I used the boltgun metal/sepia was on my Vraksian enforcers masks for a more tarnished look.

baphomael
24-03-2011, 22:01
Just a point worth noting, the Legio Custodes wore gold armour. The post heresy Adeptus Custodes, as an act of mourning and shame, shunned the armour and swapped their red cloaks for black.

crandall87
24-03-2011, 23:26
I'm sure we'll see quite a few custodes armies when the GK codex is released. I will be one of them. I've been practising NMM gold techniques for mine.

For regular gold I always use the foundation paint cathlan brown as a basecoat. I always base brown before gold if i'm working with a black undercoat. The darker or lighter brown you use will depend on the shade you want for the gold.

Which models are you planning on using for your custodes?

Achaylus72
24-03-2011, 23:42
Hey great thread, i just painted High Marshal Hellbrecht and it looks tragic, so i am gonna strip him back to bare metal again and try the Boltgun and sepia approach.

atraphos
25-03-2011, 04:34
I have seen in a white dwarf or on the GW website a while back a 4 picture display and description of 4 guy's different aproaches to doing the Sanguinary Guard for their respective Blood Angels armies.

Untill that time I have never liked gold, and looking at them I could see why. It was the gryphone sepia wash over boltgun with light highlighting of boltgun to top it off approach that in my eye, it just looked right when compared next to full on NMM or metaliic gold only approach, the others looked 'cheap' to me in comparison...

It is only my opinion of course, but if you have a spray gun, then a nutral grey undercoat, a boltgun main coat and a sepia wash over a whole army would look stunning and get you off to a start damn quickly!

Mini77
25-03-2011, 06:09
Priming in brown can help a lot with gold armour.

Poseidal
25-03-2011, 12:26
I thought the Custodes were red originally?

Foolish Mortal
25-03-2011, 15:39
Just to throw this in, but I've heard it said before that the 'correct' base coat for gold is yellow.

I can see the thinking behind it, but I've never tried it, I've always been the black undercoat/gold paint kinda guy.

wilsongrahams
25-03-2011, 16:09
When painting gold in large quantities, I base the model in black primer spray, and then I start with scorched brown. Two coats of gold from this work well before a wash and highlighting up to silver.

However, for an army of these, this is a time consuming process, and you may wish to invest in a spray gun and mix up a basing colour. I wouldn't bother myself having at most the odd character to do. For this I'd base the plastic using halfords black spray, and then mix shining gold and vermin brown up and store in a spare pot. This gives a strong gold colour and a good finish being half foundation paint, and you will be able to leave it in the recesses when layering a single application of shining gold over the plates.

That would be my best bet if doing an army that needed good results.

Mr. Ultra
25-03-2011, 17:22
For gold I use the Citadel spray gun and generous doses of burnished gold. It makes a perfect base, then you can apply washes of gryphonne sepia and glazes of light reddish (I use Tamiya clear orange), and finally lights with burnished gold, shinning gold and mithril silver.

daismith906
25-03-2011, 17:41
Quick way i found to paint a good deep gold

Primer Black
Undercoat mix of Scorched Brown & Burnished Gold 1:1
Overbrush Burnished Gold - Old brushes as it will wreck them
Wash gryphonne sepia
Highlight Burnished Gold

superdupermatt
27-03-2011, 10:13
That not end up a bit bright? I suppose it would maybe be ok for the Custodes whereas I used the boltgun metal/sepia was on my Vraksian enforcers masks for a more tarnished look.

I am using the technique for my Sanguinor model so I don't mind if it is a little too bright, but I like it! I use three heavy washes of Sepia though.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab318/superdupermatt/photo-1.jpg

Nocculum
27-03-2011, 10:18
Chaos Black, Tin Bitz, Shining Gold, two coats of Devlan Mud wash then highlight raised bits and edging with Burnished Gold.

Gloss Varnish it into ethereal shimmering bad-assery.