PDA

View Full Version : Realm of Battle Gameboard

MasterGideon
24-03-2011, 21:54
Hi All

Random question, but is there any other company that sell "own brand" versions of this? I am sure I have come across other company selling them but for the life of me I can remember what or who they are.

Any help would be great

Thanks

MasterGideon

DuskRaider
24-03-2011, 22:00
I can't remember any that sell boards off of the top of my head, but I'd say look at Zuzzy. While it may not be a board, their mats are really nice and detailed, a good way to spruce up a regular board.

chromedog
24-03-2011, 22:01
Ziterdes does their own board.
Comparable in price, nowhere near as durable without work (GW one has cross bracing under it, the Ziterdes one needs to have it added).

MasterGideon
24-03-2011, 22:20
That Zuzzy mat looks dead sweet! and cheap too!

MasterGideon

xxRavenxx
24-03-2011, 23:17
I have been skeptical of the RoB board for a while, but eventually decided I'd get one for my store. (Got fed up of repairing the edges of the flat boards I had previously used.)

They seem very solid, the detail and hills are nice, and the carry bag looks like it would be great for storage if I'd actually needed to use it.

One downside to them: PITS OF SKULLS.

I dont know which maniac at GW dives into the project room to attack models with superglue and handfulls of tiny skulls, but he needs to be stopped.

Luckily, a bit of silicon sealant (it flexes slightly, so won't crack over time) and those were turned into regular holes in the floor.

Its a pricey option, but I imagine the boards will last you a lifetime. They're very tough.

Haravikk
24-03-2011, 23:26
I got a Realm of Battle and really like it, done mine winter themed (I'll add pictures eventually). It is very durable, and fairly easy (if quite time and paint consuming) to paint.

The pits of skulls are quite odd, as they don't really fit many boards that well, I mean I might do a chaos waste where it wouldn't look bad but I may still fill them in. They're easily enough smoothed over with resin or putty or whatever, but then you have odd looking cracks. I wish they'd just been craters, maybe with an optional skulls insert or something.

I filled my skull pits with water effects (before it got discontinued, bah!) till it was level, then did a couple of thinned layers with a bit of skull white in to create a cloudy, partly opaque layer, so you can see skulls in places but they're blurry or hidden in others, gives a much better effect.

-Loki-
25-03-2011, 00:27
My problem with the ROBB is mainly that is is primarily suited to fantasy. The hills just don't do anything worthwhile as terrain in 40k, and in the most common layout, with the hills on the edges of the board, they create anti-terrain. They still count to the amount of terrain on the board, but are completely useless. And if it is always built with the hill in the center of the board, well, if defeats the purpose of a sculpted modular board.

It's awesome quality, and great for people who don't want to make a board from scratch but want a good surface to play on, but I just feel you'd get better results spending that huge sum of money on a Zuzzy mat and some decent terrain (not GW terrain either, there's plenty of companies that sell great sci fi terrain that fit 40k perfectly).

omnivision6
25-03-2011, 03:29
you can get a completely customizable ROBB at your local hardware store. Look for all the wood and get a 4x8 piece of plywood and build to taste. You just saved a couple hundred bucks too. Or pounds or whatever you guys call your money

Wolf Lord Balrog
25-03-2011, 04:35
you can get a completely customizable ROBB at your local hardware store. Look for all the wood and get a 4x8 piece of plywood and build to taste. You just saved a couple hundred bucks too. Or pounds or whatever you guys call your money

I think the point of discussing the RoBB or Zuzzy mats was that construction tools and skills required would be held to an absolute minimum.

Chapters Unwritten
25-03-2011, 04:48
Every one I've ever seen is actually quite awesome, for what it's worth. They are extremely durable and well made. The price is completely unjustifiable, however. This product should cost barely $150, $200 at the most. $300 is completely unreasonable, even for something of this quality.

scarletsquig
25-03-2011, 06:19
Citadel Battlemat = Job done, as far I'm concerned.

It's a good bit of kit, much more flexible and easier to store. Durable too, ever since they replaced that horrible flocked paper mat with a proper weighted cloth one.

I've never been a fan of terrain boards, they result in ugly lines across the table where the sections meet up, the possible layouts are too inflexible, and there's not a lot of benefits that they can offer compared to placing terrain on a mat. Realistic rivers, chasms and other vertical stuff is about the only thing a modular board can do better than a mat.

Zuzzy mats look great, but the shipping cost for anyone outside the US is insanely high and they don't sell to retailers. I want their upcoming paved mat for Mordheim, but might wait until they also release a good desert and snow mat as well just so I can order them all in one go.

Mercutius
25-03-2011, 10:02
I love my RoB Gaming Board. Looks very good IMO (see my Plog in my signature for Terrain), very durable, and easy to storage. Build two with a friend to keep them in the same optik for bigger games. And it saves a lot of time to construct your own. If you have the money defenitliy go for it! :-)