PDA

View Full Version : The Great Migration Has Come!

Vox-Grill
25-03-2011, 02:34
The Migration from 40k to Fantasy in that case! I like several armies, including Skaven, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, and High Elves! Cool magic, nice models, and solid cc winning ability is the name of the game for me.

Skaven is probably number one right now! There are so many, the models are really ratty and cool, and I love the plaguey rat feeling.

Next is Lizardmen! Exact opposite of Skaven, but I like models and Fluff. I also dislike initiative 1.

Tomb Kings have kickass models, but the playstyle bugs me a little, not enough solid CC, I want my army to be like a Mack truck when it charges!

High Elves have always been sexy to me! I like the elfy theme and always strike first, plus the models are ace boss!

Help me, men and ladies from the time long gone! I'm taking the plunge but I need your input. You can only experience something for the first time once, so let's keep this damn good!

someone2040
25-03-2011, 02:42
Personally, I like Lizardmen. Bit biased because it's what I started with, but great army :D. Very simple to paint as well, which is a huge plus. I think they have a pretty nice playstyle as well, mixing rock solid Saurus with fast but fragile Skinks. Mixes the game up a little.

Tomb Kings, hold off until May (or some solid rumours develop). Who knows what will happen with their book. Good thing you like the models, because it means you can get ahead with your painting while waiting for the book.

I can't really comment on Skaven or High Elves. I don't really have much interest in Skaven apart from Clan Eshin (Who unfortunately have the worst models at the moment). High Elves I am painting an army from the Island of Blood plus some random other models I have, but haven't really played with the army. So can't really comment. Both of them have the advantage of being able to get some models really cheap due to the Island of Blood.

freddieyu
25-03-2011, 02:52
Wait for a few months and you will have a shiny new army book with new rules..besides, too many skaven and HE out there, and lizardmen are also common...

Walls
25-03-2011, 03:04
It's a new book. Tomb Kings will become as popular as anything.

sasheep
25-03-2011, 03:05
I vote Skaven.
For a start you get a a load with IoB (and the models are awesome in that set!) and the battalion is one of the best for value imo.
The models in general are awesome and have loads of character. There is also a huge selection to choose from.
Their fluff is brilliant. This is a major selling point to me. They are the classic bad guy, with mad machines of doom and destruction and bases under volcanoes.
Gaming wise they are pretty solid. Personally I take a lot of warmachines and warlocks as my army is based around Ikkit. For me the thing that makes me play these little guys is that they are unpredictable. The warmachines are lethal but can missfire and completely destroy your own units. I learnt this in my first game when my ratling gun killed more of my own units than the entire dwarf army I was playing against did (tip: if you have rolled a 6,5 and 4 for a ratling gun it is probably wise not to try rolling again...) . Even though I lost by miles, I think it was the best game I have ever had for pure hilarity :p
If this doesn't appeal to you and you want an army that is more reliable look to HE or lizardmen.
If you don't like the TK playstyle then don't get them. No point playing something you don't like.
Hope this helps :)

Gen.RifulasDykes
25-03-2011, 03:12
I vote that unless you REALLY really want to get stuck in now for some reason, hold off for a month or two when the proper rumours and new TKs will be properly unveiled, then you can make a 100% informed decision, since TKs are getting a revamp in May we pretty much can't comment on how they'll be for you right now. You could start an army from one of the other 3 and then be kicking yourself at how cool and fun the new TKs are and wondering why you didn't wait.

But as said, if you HAVE to make a choice, i'd go with Lizardmen or Skaven, probably leaning a little bit more to skaven since they have so many many characters and wacky machines and weapons. Lizardmen and High Elves are more "bland" than Skaven in that regard.

Justus
25-03-2011, 12:44
You should definitely go for Tomb Kings and make your choice based off of that. Their army book will be adjusted to the 8th edition ruleset, which means a lot of the small details will be useful and the crap weeded out. Plus, skeletons are just too cool.

Chaos and Evil
25-03-2011, 12:50
If you do Tomb Kings, check out Mantic Games' skeletons. Lovely models, less than half the price.

Sinnertje
25-03-2011, 13:20
I want my army to be like a Mack truck when it charges!

Sounds to me like Ogres are something for you.. =p
Even their basic units have Impact hits, 3 wounds, 3 attacks...
Otherwise, Lizardmen. While they might have I1, that doesn't matter, since they can usually survive the onslaught unless you get s5 or higher against you.

bluemage
26-03-2011, 01:29
I would buy a couple of sets of island of blood and start both skaven and high elves. Since you like both armies get two sets and start playing games with them. You can then buy more stuff for which army you want to be your main.

Chris_
26-03-2011, 01:36
I think more Tomb Kings players would be awesome :) I currently run a very CC oriented army with just minimum for core (usually a bunch of archers as a bunker for the liche priest, 3 tomb swarms and 3-4 chariots), then 2 units of 22-ish Tomb Guard, 3 Scorpions, Bone Giant, 2 Tomb Kings (both with GW, one with wizarding hat), Icon Bearer and Liche priest. Kicks ass :) Is nice with almost 50 infantry with Killing Blow and magical attacks in the army :D

AND we are getting a new shiny book in just about a month or so. It can't be worse than it is now ;) (gamewise)

Bowerick Wowbagger
26-03-2011, 10:06
I'd say Skaven

I play both skaven and lizardmen, both are great, but you can get skaven really cheap with IOB