PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Knights composition

rb.uhs
25-03-2011, 13:09
Fairly simple question.
Currently own 16 knights, 8 as KE and 8 as KotR. No other knight units. Just bought a box (8 more) and am unsure as how to assemble them. So:
-Assemble 4 as KE and 4 as KotR
-Assemble all as KotR
Or
-Assemble all as KE?

Ive got 2 mounted paladins/lords, BSB and a mounted damsel, if you wished to know what characters I have.
Thoughts?

Wesser
25-03-2011, 13:16
Well with the new steadfast rules 12 is the minimum number that qualifies as a decent CC unit.

In say a 2000 points army you'll prolly always want one veritable deathstar of 15 knight preferably with several characters at the front.

Even in small games brets more or less have to go for veritable deathstars.

Id go for 8 KotR

With their low Ws my KE usually performs the role you'd expect the overpriced mounted yeomen to do

rb.uhs
25-03-2011, 13:28
I've got a mob of M@A that I run 5x8 which is usually good enough to cancel steadfast, but only the one unit. Don't know if that makes much of a difference too. I rarely play a game above 1750 points.

Urgat
25-03-2011, 14:01
Even in small games brets more or less have to go for veritable deathstars.

In the case of brets, I'd rather call it a proton torpedo :p
@ rb.uhs: for what it's worth, my bro runs smallish units of 6 to 9, and rams them into units already swamped in large units of M@A, much like what you seem to be doing, and he's doing quite fine (he's got multiple units of m@A though, and not that many knights).

Baluc
25-03-2011, 14:36
Fairly simple question.
Currently own 16 knights, 8 as KE and 8 as KotR. No other knight units. Just bought a box (8 more) and am unsure as how to assemble them. So:
-Assemble 4 as KE and 4 as KotR
-Assemble all as KotR
Or
-Assemble all as KE?

Ive got 2 mounted paladins/lords, BSB and a mounted damsel, if you wished to know what characters I have.
Thoughts?

Before I sold of my brets, I was running three 9 man lances, 2 Realm one Errant, with the lord and errantry banner, the other two had a paladin or bsb. A unit of 3x2 Questing knights, with flaming banner, 2 units of 36 Men@Arms with halberds, the grail relic and dual Trebs, 2 x 15 bowmen with braziers. The Key was giving my infantry the blessing, one unit was the Grail relic, the other had a damsel with the item that gives them the blessing :confused: (I've totally forgotten the name)

The idea was the lances act like chariots to support the infantry ranks with kills. First turn I drop a rock on massed infantry, the targets I chose to charge first. Usually units with bsb's or level 4's. Then I move in on them charge through let the knights overrun and reform the infantry. Rinse and repeat. Won me 4 tournaments at the beginning of 8th and a lizardmen army.

herohammer
25-03-2011, 18:29
Bretonians due to having very good artillery (only one but it is very good) and passable infantry to grant steadfast as well as, most importantly, the lance formation do not rely as much upon using deathstar tactics as an army based around say chaos knights or blood knights would.

Most bretonian armies I see tend to use multiple mid sized, ie.8-12 man knight units and rely upon MaA and combined charges to win combats.

Since with the lance you have a narrow frontage per unit and all of your hammer units are knights you can often just as easily declare 2 charges and double up on an enemy unit than have a giant block of knights with a wider frontage. That way they have to split shooting and spells up, your units do not occupy as much space and are therefore more maneuverable, and you don't have silly long lance formation buses of like 6 ranks deep that barely fit in your deployment zone and that offer a foot of flank to enemy units to charge.

Tancred II von Quenelles
26-03-2011, 13:23
I d go with units of 15 KE and a single unit of 5 realms with no comm options

ftayl5
27-03-2011, 07:11
I'd say 4 and 4.

rb.uhs
27-03-2011, 08:10
I'd say 4 and 4.

I'm seriously considering this. It's certainly what I'm leaning towards. However, just to throw a spanner in the works, I recently aquired 12 of these babies.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9787/p3270254.jpg

With proper painting and some helmet top conversions I could pull this new box off as Grail Knights (I can hear some people squirming). I'm not the best converter, so if I use enough gold, which there is almost none in the rest of my army, it could work.

Thoughts?

P.s. I have no idea why images are no longer embedding in my posts.

Tancred II von Quenelles
27-03-2011, 10:07
you can - my metal grail knights stand on the shelves while I use some plastic realms with painted grail heraldy

Sir Lambard
27-03-2011, 22:24
Definitely go for 4 and 4. You need either larger knight units or one more knight unit to have grails, since they will be shot/magic'd to hell from the first turn. Also i definitely recommend archers and a trebuchet as well.

rb.uhs
28-03-2011, 12:32
Definitely go for 4 and 4. You need either larger knight units or one more knight unit to have grails, since they will be shot/magic'd to hell from the first turn. Also i definitely recommend archers and a trebuchet as well.

Got two trebs and 25ish archers. More trebs and no one will play me, more archers and it's a waste of points.

I've decided on 4 and 4. Thanks for the input everyone.

rb.uhs
28-03-2011, 12:33
Closing thread.