PDA

View Full Version : New Orc and Gobbo Special chars

friendsofrhomb
25-03-2011, 13:28
I finally recieved my new armybook and I'm very interested in the new special characters, Gitilla the hunter, and Snagla Grobspit.

I've always liked hero level specials because unlike the lords, you dont have to tailor your entire army around them due to their huge points cost, basically they add a little 'something else' to your regular list.

I have a particular interest in Gitilla,
1. because i REALLY wanna convert a goblin big boss to look like a mongol invader, and

2, because Da howlerz sound like the perfect harassing unit :D considering they are BS4, with the fast cav and quick to fire rules, they are going to be hitting on 3+'s at short range, and 4+'s at long range REGARDLESS of if they have just made a full 18" march move or not :) plus gitillas 3 shots of course. I'd also say they are going to make great charge blockers and redirecters, because you are pretty much garunteed they wont get run down if they flee as a charge reaction :)

anyone used either of the two new chars ? I'd really like to hear how they went?

Also, when Da Deff creepers get their devestating charge, does the mount get an extra attack as well, or just the rider? the rulebook just says 'the model'

Memnos
25-03-2011, 13:31
Gitilla isn't a Mongol.

He's a character making fun of Atilla the Hun. As in GitILLA the HUNter.

Gitilla=Atilla.

Hun=Hunter.

You get it. He's a Hun isntead of a Mongol.

I finally recieved my new armybook and I'm very interested in the new special characters, Gitilla the hunter, and Snagla Grobspit.

I've always liked hero level specials because unlike the lords, you dont have to tailor your entire army around them due to their huge points cost, basically they add a little 'something else' to your regular list.

I have a particular interest in Gitilla,
1. because i REALLY wanna convert a goblin big boss to look like a mongol invader, and

2, because Da howlerz sound like the perfect harassing unit :D considering they are BS4, with the fast cav and quick to fire rules, they are going to be hitting on 3+'s at short range, and 4+'s at long range REGARDLESS of if they have just made a full 18" march move or not :) plus gitillas 3 shots of course. I'd also say they are going to make great charge blockers and redirecters, because you are pretty much garunteed they wont get run down if they flee as a charge reaction :)

anyone used either of the two new chars ? I'd really like to hear how they went?

Also, when Da Deff creepers get their devestating charge, does the mount get an extra attack as well, or just the rider? the rulebook just says 'the model'

drear
25-03-2011, 13:58
I'm very tempted by gitilla and 10ish wolf riders with bows. It's going to be great peppering units first turn and hitting. But they are still str 3 . Maybe a shaman on a wolf to go with them for arp?

I cannot see the spider character making mny lists unless its themed..

astornfleshlay
25-03-2011, 14:14
I've used him and had a blast doing it.
Same type of set-up as the OP mentioned:
Running around with bows, harassing enemies. I love it when characters add a boost or augment a unit.

Anyway, it worked out well and I recommend that setup if it sounds like a fun idea to you :)

madden
25-03-2011, 14:20
I've used snaggla and 19 spiders there ambush is really good sure costs a lot but there abilitys and the unknown entry point can play havok with the enemy's deployment also good at getting behind battle lines (skaven) attacking cannon etc and rear charges, snaggla is well worth his cost. As to the charge question I'd like both to get an extra attack but at the moment I just use riders.

ariochhelldrake
25-03-2011, 14:35
Its one of those though apart from the special abilities there not amazing and for the points you could have another unit of said troop type.
I have used Snagla against an Empire force using the Ambush rules and they performed well with devastating charge and hatred. Luckily they showed up on the second turn though i can see them turning up really late to face off against an irate enemy who was wiped out most of your force!
Against a force with shooting/warmachines you will likely make your points back.
Shooting I find these units lacking tbh sure its something to do when you cant charge and you will kill an odd enemy here and there but I view this as a bonus not there role after all warmachines/shooting units cant fire whilst engaged.

friendsofrhomb
25-03-2011, 23:32
Gitilla isn't a Mongol.

He's a character making fun of Atilla the Hun. As in GitILLA the HUNter.

Gitilla=Atilla.

Hun=Hunter.

You get it. He's a Hun isntead of a Mongol.

considering the huns came from a large area above china which was mainly mongolia, they are pretty much the same thing. conversion will look the same. thanks.

snottlebocket
26-03-2011, 00:36
considering the huns came from a large area above china which was mainly mongolia, they are pretty much the same thing. conversion will look the same. thanks.

Why even convert? The current wolfriders already look pretty mongolian. Or if you prefer find the old hob gobla khan and his riders, they look even more mongolian.

It's not like hobgoblins are even used in the game right now so nobody will mistake them.

Da GoBBo
26-03-2011, 11:18

They are definitely asian, but a quick peek at wikipedia (hope that info is mostly correct ... never trust the internet) suggest the difference between the huns and monguls are as big as those between the Mayans, Inca's and Aztecs. Apparently they hail form the steppes of central Asia, which is a long way off from current Mongolia. Now the Huns rose in power in the 4th century, leaving the roman empire battered in their wake. The mongolian empire you are probably refering to, was established by Genghis Khan about 800 years after the Huns demise. Like I said this is all wikitalk, but it can't be that far off :)

Back on topic: I'd love to field Gitilla commanding a big mob. One of the most flavourable character in the book IMO.

Morkash
26-03-2011, 12:40
You do not have to convert at all. Being bases at least a bit on Oglah Khan, you can use either Ghazak Khan's model (the wolf shows Ulga pretty well): http://whfb.lexicanum.de/mediawiki/images/0/0c/Ghazak_Khan.jpg
or Oglah Khan of course: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/wiki/images/c/c2/Oglah-big.jpg

friendsofrhomb
26-03-2011, 13:07
they look awesome :) i may have to get me one of those.

and I know the current ones look very much the part already, but i'd like to greenstuff a big stinky pelt onto him, and a bone bow....i've never used green stuff so it would probably be a disaster but hey, gotta try it sooner of later

Memnos
28-03-2011, 09:22
They are definitely asian, but a quick peek at wikipedia (hope that info is mostly correct ... never trust the internet) suggest the difference between the huns and monguls are as big as those between the Mayans, Inca's and Aztecs. Apparently they hail form the steppes of central Asia, which is a long way off from current Mongolia. Now the Huns rose in power in the 4th century, leaving the roman empire battered in their wake. The mongolian empire you are probably refering to, was established by Genghis Khan about 800 years after the Huns demise. Like I said this is all wikitalk, but it can't be that far off :)

Back on topic: I'd love to field Gitilla commanding a big mob. One of the most flavourable character in the book IMO.

Yep. The Huns and Mongols were related by having some similar territories, but considering the Mongolians claimed most of Europe and Asia at one point, that's not a surprise.

Chinese historians make clear distinctions between the two, saying the Huns were much more advanced than the Mongolians who came after. They were a complex organization that became the forerunners of various Eurasian peoples, like various Turks(Bonus points if you recreate the battle that made Vlad Tepes famous by having Gitilla fight Vlad Von Karstein) and the Uighurs. Look up 'Church History' by Zachariah the Rhetor.

The Mongolians were pretty bad-to-the-bone, certainly, but Gitilla united the disparate tribes and nearly brought down the Roman Empire.

That's right... A Goblin is fashioned after one of the most successful Barbarian invasions of all time.