PDA

View Full Version : Of Beards and Griffons (Dwarfs or Empire?)

Ealdwulf
25-03-2011, 14:00
So I've been gone from fantasy quite some time (probably 3-4 years), but the rule sets and setting always appealed to me on a personal level more than 40k. So finally with an upswing in local players I'm trying to get back into the hobby.

About 8-10 months ago our local store was going to start and escalation league, so I started getting Empire stuff. Before the league could get going, the store shut down. I've now got this Empire stuff, and Dwarves from a previous venture and another store is starting up a escalation league. My question is:

Which army do I pursue?

Having been away for quite some time I'm a bit out of the loop as to how these two armies do with the current rules. I'm not one of those guys that has to win, I prefer fluff and a good paint job over a mega army any day. That said, I like the Empire and Dwarfs fairly equally and I am having trouble deciding which ones to go after.

From a collection standpoint:

Empire offers a wider variety of unit types, sizes, themes etc. Which would give more painting options and more army composition options. But also take longer to paint.

Dwarfs are nostalgic to me, reminding me of my first fantasy army. They're generally easy to paint (beard, armor, shield, weapon go!) but lack variety in their models, generally speaking. So in this sense I could probably paint the army much faster.

From Gameplay:

Empire I am totally a new too, which presents it's own challenges and adventures. I am drawn to them b/c of their flexibility and variety, I think Empire is one of those armies you'd rarely get bored with.

Dwarfs are comfortable for me, I know how they operate and am fairly certain I would at least do "ok" with them on the table. I just don't want to get bored with the dwarfs being a static army.

Anyways, those are my thoughts and concerns about each force, any Veteran or Longbeard advise would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Ealdwulf

Ratbeast
25-03-2011, 14:05
Not an option to pick a totally different army?

Ealdwulf
25-03-2011, 14:07
Well I already have units from those two armies, and I'm somewhat partial to their fluff.

I figure I should finish painting and building the two armies I started so long ago.

Also I think the girlfriend might possible turn into a Khorne Berserker if I buy another army of some kind ha ha.

Ratbeast
25-03-2011, 14:15
Well I already have units from those two armies, and I'm somewhat partial to their fluff.

I figure I should finish painting and building the two armies I started so long ago.

Also I think the girlfriend might possible turn into a Khorne Berserker if I buy another army of some kind ha ha.

Easy choice, go empire, an army fully out of plastic is awesome, more choices, competes in every phase of game, can always do dwarfs when there current units in metal a redone

shelfunit.
25-03-2011, 14:15
Get some dwarf artillary - at worst you can use them as proxies (although with the number of dwarfs in the Empire, it can be argued they are just Imperial Dwarf artillary crew anyway) for empire artillary.
I use both dwarf artillary and miners - as greatwords (from skullpass) in my empire army, and as a bonus, they also can be used in their original army :D

Ealdwulf
25-03-2011, 15:24
Well what you guys consider to be the least popular of the two armies?

I think I might just go upto the store and see who/what is signed up to play the league and go from there. If there are 4 Empire players, I'll run Dwarfs to be different.

The bearded one
25-03-2011, 15:50
I'm unsure.. I think empire is a bit more popular due because it's versatile so caters to many different players and playing styles.

twj
25-03-2011, 17:45
I personally have only ever seen one other Dwarf army, whilst have seen countless Empire armies...
Anyway, go for the one you think looks the coolest as you will be the one painting and playing with them.

Sinnertje
25-03-2011, 17:50
I just bought roughly €150,- worth of Empire because I wanted a 'good' army for a change.
Out of all the armies that are arguably 'good' they appealed to me the most, considering they are so versatile.
Dwarfs don't appeal to me in any way. Not fluff-wise, nor looks, nor gameplay. Except if one could field an army of Slayers... =p

Ealdwulf
25-03-2011, 20:15
I just bought roughly €150,- worth of Empire because I wanted a 'good' army for a change.
Out of all the armies that are arguably 'good' they appealed to me the most, considering they are so versatile.
Dwarfs don't appeal to me in any way. Not fluff-wise, nor looks, nor gameplay. Except if one could field an army of Slayers... =p

Yea I understand that, the Dwarf models could probably use a bit of love, but most of them hold up well. Honestly my biggest critique as a collector is just that the Dwarfs have very little variety in their units. They could really benefit from some sort "monster" sized unit, whether that be a dwarf warmachine or what. Almost every other Army has some monster unit, such as the Skaven Screaming Bell etc etc.

Headzila
27-03-2011, 00:16
Yea I understand that, the Dwarf models could probably use a bit of love, but most of them hold up well. Honestly my biggest critique as a collector is just that the Dwarfs have very little variety in their units. They could really benefit from some sort "monster" sized unit, whether that be a dwarf warmachine or what. Almost every other Army has some monster unit, such as the Skaven Screaming Bell etc etc.

I couldn't agree more. I love my dwarf army but looking across it on the board every unit, core or otherwise, looks almost exactly the same (slayers are the obvious exception). I'd love a new non-cannon type warmachine just to break the line a little bit or at least some special and rarew units that don't just look like a bunch of standard warriors.

Myrmidon616
27-03-2011, 01:42
They could really benefit from some sort "monster" sized unit, whether that be a dwarf warmachine or what. Almost every other Army has some monster unit, such as the Skaven Screaming Bell etc etc.

You could always have a dogs of war Giant. They like Beer after all. (Thats if you can actually field mercenaries any more)

Abaraxas
27-03-2011, 11:26
Id go dwarves, I love the bearded gits.

Theyll be cheaper too-lots of skull pass stuff up for grabs on the net.

Headzila
27-03-2011, 17:44
You could always have a dogs of war Giant. They like Beer after all. (Thats if you can actually field mercenaries any more)

I've always felt a little uneasy with the idea of having a giant in a dwarf army, although it has crossed my mind for much the same reason you've said. I often include a unit of slayers in my armies and I can't get away from the idea of the ginger berserkers forgetting about the enemy and charging the giant instead.

Boreas_NL
27-03-2011, 19:16
I have (and play with) both armies.

Dwarfs are the ultimate defenders, high toughness, great leadership and some very usefull special rules and items (40 Longbeards, Ironbreakers or Hammerers with a runed up Lord on Oathstone and a shiny banner to name just one option). But they can be used agressively too, even more so in the new edition. Limited choice isn't much of a problem. In regular games (2000/3000 points) you won't have enough points to take every unit available to you.

The Empire is justly famed for it's variety, wether you want a defensive gunline, an avalanche of armoured knights or something in between, The Empire has the answer! The detachment rule gives you the option of building a very strong defensive line...

Both armies work well with the current edition and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you can't decide between the two races, why not collect both. With the updated allied rules, you can use them together without any problems (at least in friendly games). Empire and Dwarfs go very well together, fluff-wise and game-wise... Just start with two smaller forces that can be combined in one larger army. As you expand them, you can use them seperately.

I hope this was usefull. You might be interested in my Empire army project log, check it out...

ChaosCajun
28-03-2011, 02:51
In my opinion you answered your own question in your original post. Empire offers more painting options and will take longer to paint, which means it will be more likely to keep your interest for a longer period of time to assemble it. I just finished painting a dwarf army for a friend and hope I never see another stunty except from across the table again. You also indicated that the Empire is more versatile and less likely to bore you than the static Dwarves.

So, you see, based on your own statements, you should build Empire.

SilasOfTheLambs
28-03-2011, 04:47
I would say, of the two, go with empire. Dwarfs are locked into one playstyle, with slight variations: shoot them to soften them up, then punch them in the face with rock-hard infantry. Some do more shooting, some do more punching, but those are all you've really got.

Empire has access to ever major facet of the game. Magic? Check. Infantry? Check? Heavy cav? Check. Fast Cav? Guns? Flyers? Slow stuff, Fast stuff, hard stuff, squishy cheap stuff, check check check. You can play empire any way you want and it is likely to work to some degree. There's a saying about the jack of all trades being the master of none, and it's true here... but damn, he's fun to work with.

Zoring
28-03-2011, 06:45
Empire, it's the best. Except don't use the current edition State Troops, blech.

Deathbysoup
28-03-2011, 15:02
I was faced with a similar dilemma except it was empire or dark elves. I went for empire in the end due to the large opportunity for versitility they have.

Just be prepared to spend alot of time painting faces....

Gav2k
28-03-2011, 16:46
Gav2k says go Dorfs. Because beards.

Odominus
30-03-2011, 05:09
Why not have both beards and griffons: EMPIRE!

manly beards abound! And puffy sleeves! Lot's of skulls to paint. And let's not forget the plumage!

Warrior Priests! rods of Power! Halberds! Mortars! Flagellants! Casketsus (do a little research to find out what hat is)!

Donīt lift an eyebrow when the Bloodthirster lumbers towards you, since you are busy checking out the trimming of your beard in your speculum.

No contest. Sorry Dwarves!