PDA

View Full Version : Favourite 40k Mission/Scenario

Carlosophy
25-03-2011, 17:59
As many of us are veterans of at least 3 editions, if not more we have all played the various missions and scenarios white dwarf, the citadel journal, codices and supplements have laid out before us many times over. I have to wonder which is your favourite?

I will always have a soft spot for the 'Assassination' mission from the old Codex: Assassins.

The attacker has half the points and a nerfed FoC (2x E, FA and HS, 4x T, no HQs) plus an assassin against a defender who has full points and a slightly bigger FoC (6x troops)

The idea being the attacker must assassinate the enemies most expensive HQ choice before the end of the game. Playing as the underdog attacker is highly rewarding as you try to include as all-round force as you can to fight the numerically superior defender in an effort to stop him defeating the assassin.

Played with highly elite armies it was never any fun because the assassins were rubbish compared to Phoenix Lords, Captains and Daemon Princes but play with weaker HQ armies like Guard and Tau and it becomes a great game.

Blademeister
25-03-2011, 21:42
I quite like attack and defend. You play a couple of games (like best 2/3 or whatever you decide). One player attacks one player defends. attackers have a slight advantage about 25% more points. The attackers must eliminate all the defenders in the objective, or have more troop choices than they do in the objective at the end of turn 4. It's actually really fun.

BrotherOfBrass
25-03-2011, 21:51
Back in 2nd edition, Misssion Cards were dealt before each mission and one of the Tyranid ones was called Tyranid Attack. In 6 turns the Tyranid player had to kill everything on the opposing side. If one non-Tyranid model survives, the Tyranid player lost, end-of-story. I loved it and its all or nothing victory conditions.

Dead7
26-03-2011, 00:56
i dont remember what it was called. but in 4th there was a 3 way mission with fairly normal deployment except for one small thing; all three hqs had to start in the middle of the table. iirc it was negotiations gone bad

Okuto
26-03-2011, 01:01
meat grinder is by far my favorite mission........then stop the ritual wasnt half bad either

The Highlander
26-03-2011, 01:10
i dont remember what it was called. but in 4th there was a 3 way mission with fairly normal deployment except for one small thing; all three hqs had to start in the middle of the table. iirc it was negotiations gone bad

Thatís the Battle at Da Camp mission, a really old one that originally appeared in WD 237. Iíve played it twice and it is a lot of fun, particularly with the constant backstabbing!

Next week Iím going to be playing another old mission, carnage. Four players start at the corners of the board, thereís one objective in the centre and whoever holds it wins. It should be good!

ShaiAhlude
27-03-2011, 14:03
Carnage! A 4-way battle, that was in WD 251. AKA: 40K King Of The Hill
Not made for bigger armies, 1000-1500 was about right.
ONE objective, right in the center of the board.
Random Game Length.
Whoever holds it at the end of the game wins. Note that holding an objective was a little different back then.
Lots of teaming up, double-crossing & outright lying to your "allies".
Absolutely the most fun I've had in any 40K game.
Ever.

totgeboren
27-03-2011, 14:09
Meat grinder was quite awesome most of the time, and it really is just the Tyranid Attack! mission from 2:ed in a more generic package.

I once played that with a huge amount of cultists, mutants and daemons, supported by some CSM, against a very defensive Tau force. It was simply awesome, I think I lost on average 30-40 models per turn, but they just came back in again!

Sgt John Keel
27-03-2011, 19:24

It's in the 5th edition book, I can't remember seeing it in the 4th edition rulebook but it might have appeared elsewhere.

We kind of fused it with the Apocalypse mission, although I believe we used a straight turn sequence instead, and didn't use the 4+ activation the first turn.

Surgency
27-03-2011, 19:58
I always like the Tau special scenario, from their first book. I absolutely despise the 3 deployment/3 mission setup in the 5e book. It doesn't matter how many different ways you deploy, 3 missions is still 3 missions

It's in the 5th edition book, I can't remember seeing it in the 4th edition rulebook but it might have appeared elsewhere.

No, i guarantee you its not in the 5th ed rulebook... One of the reasons I haven't played 40k for a while is because the missions are all the same, regardless of the "oh, we have NINE SEPARATE MISSIONS" like they tried to throw at us. 3 missions and 3 deployments is NOT 9 separate missions. Theres only so many times you can play capture and control before it gets blah.

It also seems as if no one wants to play missions from older books, as they either don't have the older books, or they can't be bothered to bring them with to play the older missions

Aedes
27-03-2011, 21:17
In a few tournaments we were playing a scenario where a supply ship crashes randomly on the battlefield (arrives as reserves) -- everybody in the way of the path and the impact crater gets wounds. BUT-- this supply ship crater is also the objective! So you cant get too close, but on the other hand, the closer you are, the closer you are to the objective....
I love it. I know, it depends on a lot of luck, but when you are lucky....

Sgt John Keel
27-03-2011, 21:39
No, i guarantee you its not in the 5th ed rulebook... One of the reasons I haven't played 40k for a while is because the missions are all the same, regardless of the "oh, we have NINE SEPARATE MISSIONS" like they tried to throw at us. 3 missions and 3 deployments is NOT 9 separate missions. Theres only so many times you can play capture and control before it gets blah.

Have you looked in the back of the book? There are a few characterful missions there, with “Broken Alliance” at page 272.

'IllBillyOrk
27-03-2011, 21:45
I liked the battle missions book, the one with the ambush on the transport caravan is fun. I used Orks doing the ambush and my buddy was playing wolves in transports. Very fun lots of fast attack options allowed and became very interesting VERY quickly

Surgency
27-03-2011, 21:55
Have you looked in the back of the book? There are a few characterful missions there, with ďBroken AllianceĒ at page 272.

you know, I've never seen those. IMO, they should be printed in the "choosing your mission" section of the book :shifty: