PDA

View Full Version : What do you like in the game / hobby?

Cerraand
25-03-2011, 21:29
In response to the thread "What are your pet hates?" I decided to ask the opposite question: what are the small things in the gaming hobby that you like?

- I really like to see my minis on the table (although I'm not a very good painter)

- I like it when both my opponent let me to take back something I just did (and of course, I like to return the favor)

- When my opponents reminds me to play something I forgot (and returning the favor too)

That's all I could think of right now

I think it's harder to answer to this question than the one about pet peeves

spurker
25-03-2011, 21:44
You're right, it is harder to answer this one (we are, after all, more likely to remember things that make us angry than happy, it's an evolutionary advantage!).
I really like seeing the best come out in terms of people's imagination. And I like that so many different people play the game.

shadowhawk2008
25-03-2011, 21:57
I love the big apoc games and all the masses of infantry and tanks duking it out on 3 tables. It's absolutely wonderful. I love building different SM lists off the vanilla codex. I also love all the fluff about the space marines, draigo and his antics notwithstanding.

Nurgling Chieftain
25-03-2011, 22:07
I like hanging out with friends while playing a game.

I like making tactical decisions that have noticeable impacts on the course of a game; consequently I tend to prefer fast and destructive armies that may be more difficult to play, but benefit more from skilled use. Win or lose, it's always exciting.

I love the look on my opponent's face when my army shows up/moves to somewhere they completely were not expecting and they have to rearrange their ideas about how the battle is going to go down.

I like showing off a well-painted conversion, and seeing other people's best work.

I like theoryhammering. Also, rules lawyering. ...Thus my post count! :cool:

Bubble Ghost
25-03-2011, 22:14
Converting.

The feeling of finishing painting a squad, all the more satisfying because of how boring I find painting.:D

Close games.

Games free of ":wtf: that makes no sense" moments, that feel as though they were playing out something that could actually have happened; games where you don't notice the rules as much. They're always more satisfying and dramatic.

Koll
25-03-2011, 22:26
Games free of ":wtf: that makes no sense" moments, that feel as though they were playing out something that could actually have happened; games where you don't notice the rules as much. They're always more satisfying and dramatic.

Couldn't agree more. I generally find WFB games have more of a narrative and flow to them and its always fantastic when this happens in 40K games they become a heck of a lot more fun to play.

susu.exp
26-03-2011, 00:51
Making terrain. Thatīs the big one for me. And painting my minis. Coming up with interesting army concepts... And then playing against an opponent who does the same. If I can appreciate the thought that went into a theme, either for an army or a terrain set up it becomes a story, rather than a simple strategy game.

Achaylus72
26-03-2011, 01:02
Well for me i love the.

1, Socialbility of it, getting out and mixing with people and generally losing myself in the hobby.
2, Slowly building up my Chaos Space Marines and Ork Apocalypse Armies at he mo my Chaos Space Marines Sons of Achaylus are worth 12,000 points and that my Ork "Purple Skullz" are worth 9,000 Points, giving me a combined anti-Space Marine army of 21,000 points.
3, Kids getting off the streets and doing something other than anti-social behaviour, also it makes me feel young again.
4, Building.
5, Painting, gives me time out and a healthy dose of Me Time.
6, Conversions, love converting miniatures.

Alairan
26-03-2011, 01:13
I adore converting models. Coming up with something unique is wonderful.

Maybe a bit of an odd one... But I love ridiculous runs of bad luck with dice. I crack up at my own misfortune in games.

rob_appo
26-03-2011, 01:31
The relaxing element of painting, put on some music (usually tool) and just mellow out and hopefully come out with a nice model.

DaSpaceAsians
26-03-2011, 01:37
I also love the relaxed sensation I get when I paint. There's nothing quite soothing like sitting down on an evening, pull out a model and painting. I also like to figure out how to fix my botched assembling.

eldargal
26-03-2011, 01:39
Looking at Eldar, always makes me feel happy.

Painting Eldar.

Watching two properly painted armies fighting it out on a well made terrain covered board.

Watching people from all different backgrounds united in a love of gaming. I know it sounds sappy but there you go.

Listening to our resident 'nid lady embaressing her son by making all kinds of naughty jokes about tyranids.

The look of pride and happiness on someones face when they realise they can actually paint well with practise and effort.

Bunnahabhain
26-03-2011, 01:41
A fully painted game- both armies, the terrain , everything.

Rules lawyering, so long as everyone knows that this isn't something you'd try in game...

Not caring about casualties. I have Guard, Russians in 1:72, and other hordes. But elites in WHFB....Odd that..

Good beer. Anyone who says this is not a part of the hobby is wrong....

zakk_wylde001
26-03-2011, 01:45
- I like it when both my opponent let me to take back something I just did (and of course, I like to return the favor)

- When my opponents reminds me to play something I forgot (and returning the favor too)

Courteous & friendly gamers is what keeps me in this hobby, so I agree with this 100%.

I suppose the biggest pleasure I get from the hobby is actually buying a codex and then creating & fantasising about amazing & huge army lists. :(

Abaraxas
26-03-2011, 04:11
I really like collecting the miniatures (the ones I really like) and the satisfaction of painting them to a standard Im happy with.
Im certainly not the best painter, but when I was a kid I never thought it possible I could get stuff looking as good as I do now.

Im not the biggest gamer,and dont really paint as often as I should (considering how much stuff I have) but Im always hunting RT/early 90s Orks,and that in itself is a thrill-when I find an elusive piece Ive been looking for...such joy!

So painting and collecting,mostly-but playing a game with your painted minis is a lot of fun too.

herostoaces
27-03-2011, 08:18
Young players with their poorly constructed models/convertions and botched paint jobs playing with their friends. Reminds me of when I first started and the friends I made that I never see any more.

Born Again
27-03-2011, 08:32
I enjoy when things all come together. I sometimes get a bit daunted at the start of a project, but there's nothing like the satisfaction when it's all done, and your army takes to a nicely modeled battlefield for the first time.

econtutor
27-03-2011, 09:46
The feeling of accomplishment I get the first time a fully painted army of mine hits the table. There's nothing like that moment when you get to see hundreds of hours of work deployed in all of it's glory for the first time.

HRM
27-03-2011, 11:23
As others have said, finally getting things painted and looking halfway decent. In particular, Dreadnaughts.

I REALLY like Dreads.

Bestaltan
27-03-2011, 13:45
I like how, if I'm getting too serious in this hobby, I can just break out my Orks for a good laugh.

I mean, how I play my two main armies can be best summed up in my sig. Pretty much sums up my philosophies.

MajorWesJanson
27-03-2011, 15:48
Building/converting

Ridiculous and awesome things in battles- drones and guardsmen geting into close combat for 4 turns, dreadnoughts facing each other in CC, Terminators holding the line against a mass of genestealers charging, vindicators hitting themselves on their own rear armor, ect. The cool stuff that happens in the game.

Making my own fluff for my chapter and characters, giving them names. If they do something of note in a game, they get recognition (paint job modified, bling added, minor conversions... I have a Terminator who earned a tabard and heraldry for killing a Carnifex in single combat, then holding against a dakkafex and wave of gaunts for another turn. A vindicator that immobilized itself 3 games in a row now has a set of spare tracks added to the side.

Nomrana Est
27-03-2011, 15:48
There are many things which I enjoy in the hobby, usually they fall into these:

-The social aspect - Meeting others who are of a similar mindset to me, and who also enjoy doing things "different" from the norm.

-Converting - Truly my favourite part of my hobby experiences. I tend to rummage around my bits box, and the plogs here, and I usually feel inspired to do something, either with the parts I find in my box, or, usually, by somebody elses conversions that they've done on here, and then the rush of pride when everyone in the area looks at what you've done, and go "I really like that."

-Painting - Although not my strongest part in the hobby (I'm a converter/builder first, painter second, gamer third), the feeling of accomplishment when a new unit is completed cannot be underestimated. I usually go without painting for a few weeks, then I furiously slap paint on anything that needs it after a while.

-Enjoyment of a game - This was highlighted to me yesterday, after a run of very bad luck on my part with the dice. I was playing in a huge Apoc game, and one of my opponents actually noted how much enjoyment I was actually gaining from my failure. He pointed this out to me, and I said "It's more about having fun than winning." Regardless of my luck with my dice, I try to enjoy my games as much as possible.

Those are the things which I love about my hobby.

Rick Blaine
27-03-2011, 16:09
Like everybody else, I mostly enjoy complaining about it.

madprophet
27-03-2011, 20:57
I'm a rule of cool gamer :D I love doing conversions, writing my own fluff, generally making each army I play my own.

I love the look of a well painted army on the table and I am especially fond of scenery - I love making my own buildings, objectives, markers and the like. A pair of nicely painted armies on a well-modeled table with an interesting scenario and I am a very happy camper!

I like opponents with a sense of humor - if I am tabling them, don't whine, just go with the story. If he is cleaning my clock, hey, I can laugh at my guardsmen too :) This is not the most balance game ever designed, and that's okay - wacky and unexpected results are what make WFB and WH40k so much fun!

I like teaching new gamers. My son is all of 11 and he is just getting into WH40k. I painted him a DIY Space Marine force (1750 points) as a gift and he and I have been happy blasting the begeezus out of one another since!

I like coming up with viable TO&E for my units. I have modeled an entire guard battalion - a recon company, an infantry company, and an armored company along with a supreme command unit, a hospital, a transport section, a chaplaincy corps, a military government section, a military police section and I am just about down with the regimental band. I also have modeled an airwing (complete with airfield). Granted I have been working on this army since 1990 but it has become an obsession.

I like all my armies to be related - in the sense that they all come from the same theater of operations. My guard regiment (the 18th Lyubov Rifles - the Ice River Guards) are from the Eastern fringe. My other armies are Chaos Marines (The Jieshi Is'Malal), Traitor Guard (built out of old Warzone figures I inherited from a now defunct game club), Tau, Tyranid, Orks (Blood Axes so they can be friend or foe), Grey Knights (I inherited them from the same now defunct game club) and Space Marines (now belonging to my son). I have resisted doing Witchhunters but if GW comes out with plastic Sisters, I just might, if only as an allied force for my other Imperial armies.

I am seriously considering getting double duty out of my Fantasy Orcs are a Feral Ork army but I am still undecided about that.

Madfool2
27-03-2011, 22:27
I love seeing two awesome armies battle each other to a game in which anyone can win!

Seeing other peoples models and meeting new people. Playing new people too and having a good laugh whilst we all push around plastic and metal manz and dudes.

DeeKay
28-03-2011, 00:03
Interesting question. Let's hope my answers are just as good:

1) Converting. Working on a Word Bearers army for the best part of 6 months now and I've only just started painting it a month ago. The rest of the time I've been kit-bashing, cutting, gluing and generally having a giggle.

2) Which leads me to my next point: seeing other excellent quality armies across the table from me. It lends an incredibly evocative image if 2 lovingly modelled and painted characters are b2b, I can almost see them fighting for their lives/honour/god or whatever.

3) Moving on to the next point: the game. I know it isn't a popular idea but I play to win. And I expect the opponent to do the same. After all, IMO a decent commander is one who picks up on these slips in judgement and capitalises on them. For this reason, I don't allow "take backs" for the opponent or myself. If you or I forget it, tough.

4) The older fluff. It has to be said that GW had at one point something unique amongst other games of its type. The story wasn't about mankind colonising the galaxy, it was fighting to survive and losing. Their vast empire was dying and its carcass picked at by aliens, traitors and worse. Now the future seems brighter (and badly written) and I'm not sure it should be.

5) Just to finish on a good point (my last one seemed negative) the whole hobby (not just GW) is a learning curve rather than an end in itself. There's always something new to learn. Got the game sussed? The new codexes mean that there's always a new challenge. Painting your game? Try NMM for the first time. Sculpting? From skulls to full armour, you can do almost anything you put your mind to with practice.

With regards,
Dan.

Eldartank
28-03-2011, 02:44
I enjoy building and painting the models most, I think. I like the game, too, but I'm not a particularly good player. Lately, a typical game for me involves my opponent complimenting me on how nice my models look while he is brutally wiping out my army. So I usually lose badly, but at least I can enjoy showing off my models as I remove them from the table and put them in the "dead" area. :)

DeviantApostle
28-03-2011, 03:01
I enjoy the moments of sheer EPIC that happen.

Squad/MC/IC X goes on a rampage, destroys everything in its path and is seemingly invincible thanks to a run of good/bad dice rolls at the right moments.

Two equally matched ICs face off after a bloody battle, who will reign supreme?

That last guy left after the rest of his squad is massacred that just WILL NOT DIE! Bonus epic if he single handedly holds your entire flank no matter what gets thrown at him.

The underdog that pwns something a billion times tougher than himself.

These things do happen, not often but when they do they really make games that you'll talk about for years to come.

Achaylus72
28-03-2011, 03:27
Occasionally getting good dice rolls and not my usual run of 1's

Lowmans
28-03-2011, 08:32
I love:

1. The models
2. Painting
3. Painted models
4. The background
5. Gaming
6. Converting the models
7. Everything Forgeworld
8. Boobs

Not necessarily in that order

Hypaspist
28-03-2011, 08:55
I like plenty about the hobby.

I do like painting when I am in the zone (and especially the finished article, although... as of yet I am no great shakes as a painter), but find that as a mood painter, it's a much rarer occasion than it ought to be (though having read an Old Standard bearer last night in the Bath about 'Getting the habit' I've jogged myself about sorting this one out.

I really like playing. Interesting observation here, that initially, I tended to care about the victory much more than the game, now I care about the victory and the game, which usually boils down to, if I've had fun, I am not too fussed if I lose (but will still try to win)

However, My absolute favourite part of the hobby has got to be scratch building and converting.

I love it.

more dangerously though (for my collection) I prefer it to painting, which then results in a backlog of painting. (and hence the reason for the historic standard bearer article!)

I like lots more elements of the game, but those were the ones that sprang to mind immediately.

owen matthew
28-03-2011, 09:04
Friends, strategy, tactics and execution. I used to LOVE competition, but that got very boring a few years ago.

orkmiester
28-03-2011, 12:49
i like quite a few things about it really...

i do like the building/ painting process, i fact out of my 40k friends i can get away with saying that i am the only one who has personaly painted their entire collection :cool: (though this has got a bit hectic- i've got around lets see errm 4/5 things on the go and my birthday is this week on a certain day i'll let you take a guess:evilgrin: and i have asked for some more stuff, plus grey knights are next on the list damm! i work fast though)

i like the social side of things as well, it takes you away from things for a while, the banter is what i like though. Its good when things are going up the creek in a game and then your opponents rolling takes a dip :shifty: the other day we were talking about the new GK and some of their abilities on 'paper' my mate who was using his tusty nobz bikers (one of those damm projects :() his comments ever so ironic were 'great' and 'loveley' pity i doubt whether any one could take his on with his rolling...

though as has been said you always remember things that rub you up the wrong way, and take for granted what is the best.

Castigator
28-03-2011, 12:51
For me.. the old fluff! :cool: I still long for photochromatic eye drops.. Need those badly. I also hope they bring back skin tight power armour at one point.

ashc
28-03-2011, 14:38
The IP (when its good!).

and then building armies around those ideas/feelings.

Easy E
28-03-2011, 16:35
I like telling stories in the grimdark universe of the 40K where the most heroic of deeds goes unnoticed by man and gods alike. These stories take the form of playing campaigns, games, writing new rules and systems, fluffing out an army with my own squads symbols and such, etc.

ColShaw
28-03-2011, 16:38
Friends, strategy, tactics and execution. I used to LOVE competition, but that got very boring a few years ago.

This. Add on painting, and the feeling I get when I've just deployed a fully-painted, beautiful army on the tabletop.

Cerraand
28-03-2011, 18:57
5) Just to finish on a good point (my last one seemed negative) the whole hobby (not just GW) is a learning curve rather than an end in itself. There's always something new to learn. Got the game sussed? The new codexes mean that there's always a new challenge. Painting your game? Try NMM for the first time. Sculpting? From skulls to full armour, you can do almost anything you put your mind to with practice.

This, totally this!
The fact that every time I finish a project in which I really invested myself in it I amazed to see that I could do it.

Fle
28-03-2011, 19:11
I adore converting models. Coming up with something unique is wonderful.

Maybe a bit of an odd one... But I love ridiculous runs of bad luck with dice. I crack up at my own misfortune in games.

I second this, it's awesome watching Archon Bob roll 1's for his shadowfield save in the first round of every combat to date (save one....ah Archon Bob, you sure showed that Imperial Guard heavy weapons squad whose boss)

Because me and my gaming buddies work full time and have other commitments our battles are normally planned well in advance and are a big occasion for us all to catch up and have a good night. The build up to 'Battle Day' usually consists of lots of emails/texts with bits of background, narrative and special rules that will be in place for the battle as well as the usual "My army will wipe your army from the annals of history....Archon Bob WILL get a pain token this game!!.....we're getting Pizza right?" etc etc

spaghettyhoop
28-03-2011, 19:29
I love stupid bad luck too! Its part of the game, and amazing. I feel I should list two recent ones Ive seen recently, one going for and against me!

Game with my DE a while ago. Archon and 4 incubi charged a tactical squad of marines. Wiped 9 of them, leaving a single powerfiest seargent, who scored a single hit, single wound on my archon. Who then rolled a 1 and died!

Game yesterday! Huge 2v2 4k a side game, I stupid leaft my ironclad dreadnought in the open, with its back turned towards 3 hiveguard, who hit it with 3 str 8 shots.....followed shortly by a trio of 1's for penetration! It was quite frankly amazing!

Other things I love. The social aspect. Ive met about 5 new friends in the past year, and weirdly, found out about 5 more people I know play 40k, and became better friends with them! People who say its sad be damned, I have more friends than you! haha.

This doesnt happen so much these days, but the look on peoples faces when i pull out my dark eldar army! For a couple of years I was known in my local store as "that guy who buys our dark eldar stuff" because I was the only DE player! At least now my experience shows!

Hrogoff the Destructor
28-03-2011, 19:31
1. Playing with friends
2. I (used to) like my armies fluff
3. Beer with some sort of edibles to go with it
4. The feeling you get when you finish painting a model
5. Trying to imagine what my army looks like if it were completely painted
6. Creating army lists

Zeroth
28-03-2011, 20:51
We got a nice club going on, not a store but a decent place rented very cheap. Sometimes just chilling out after a game having a chat is the most enjoyable part of the gaming-thursday

RejectedNeophyte
28-03-2011, 20:52
I mostly enjoy the fact that I can learn from almost every game. Whether I win or lose, if I take away a valuable lesson from the game, then it was a good one. Also, I have a few mentors in my gaming group that can point out the lessons for me(cuz I'm still a kid).

tu33y
28-03-2011, 23:03
lining up all my tanks in a row and seeing matching decals and symbols and paint colours....

meeting new people who share my enthusiasm

the feeling i have "made something"

the gamming hall at lenton

the fact my girlfriend calls them "Dolls"

the friends i make

the endorphin buzz of THAT purchase

victory...

people telling me they like my models

GrogDaTyrant
28-03-2011, 23:22
Everything I like about this hobby is summed up by the Orks. Not the codex mind you, nor 5th edition's gimmick-fest. Just the Orks, outside of all rules. The modelling, style, mentality, and conversions are the only thing I enjoy now when it comes to GW hobbies. But everything else happening with 40k right now, from bad fluff to over-the-top gimmick-fest rules, has successfully sucked dry my enjoyment for this game.

Luckily, I found my love of wargaming when I found better game systems. Sadly there were no Orks in the other systems, but there were factions that were close enough for me to latch on to.

LonelyPath
28-03-2011, 23:34
I love meeting up with new people and also seeing people I otherwise wouldn't get to see so often.

Looking at a nicely decorated table before and after the armies are deployed.

Being able to have fun by doing things like quoting the Imperial Guardsmans Primer or shouting Waaagh! (or saying other silly things during dice rolls).

Having a good laugh with my opponent and after the game discussing the game and where we think things went right/wrong from each others perspective (tonight my loss came down to me failing a morale check and him passing one at critical moments in the game coz his Orks won on objectives with 5 scoring models left and nothing but a trikk to challenge mine and tankshock the guard sat on it, lol).

Building a painting models, there's nothing better than sitting down for hours painting and then looking at what you've done with a sense of pride :)

I also love looking at another persons army and seeing what they've done with it and discussing it with them. When you see a great army it really is a wondrous thing for the eyes.

Big Boss Scholes
29-03-2011, 01:19
The events my store manager holds at my local GW (Staines) there always a laugh, and just chillin in the shop with him when its nearly empty, my two favourite things

Eldartank
29-03-2011, 02:09
This. Add on painting, and the feeling I get when I've just deployed a fully-painted, beautiful army on the tabletop.

I second (third?) that. There's nothing cooler than placing your own nicely painted army on the gaming table, an army that you assembled and painted yourself. That alone completely negates the sting you might otherwise feel if your opponent completely and utterly annihilates you. :)

Frankly
29-03-2011, 13:09
40k is a relaxing way to drink deer imho.

ashc
29-03-2011, 13:16
....drink deer imho.

...goatsucker? :(

I drink beer, personally. ;)

Telesedrin
29-03-2011, 15:14
I love watching two fully painted armies facing off across a beautifully made table.

Eldartank
30-03-2011, 04:24
I love watching two fully painted armies facing off across a beautifully made table.

That's even more awesome when one of those armies is yours. :)