PDA

View Full Version : Help agaisnt Wood Elves

Private_SeeD
26-03-2011, 08:44
Templar Grand Master with Holy Relic, shield and Sword of Sigismund
lvl 2 Battle Wizard with Feedback scoll
Warrior Priest with Additional warhammer, Hammer of Judgement, Heavy armour & Shield

35x Swordman with FC (warrior priest)
10x Halberdiers detachments
10x Handgunners with Marksmen armed with Hochland long rifle (maybe mage)

Great Cannon
9x Knights of the Inner Circle with FC & War Banner
Mortar

Helblaster Volley Gun (110pts)

1479pts

I'll be going against a Wood Elf player, I haven't seen his army so not sure what he'll be fielding, this isn't a tailored list this is what I currently have at hand... I have 5 outriders but couldn't squeeze them in, since I upgraded my knights to the uber versions. Also I can't decide on the tooled up Grand Templar or Ludwig since I can't afford Helborg. If I went with Ludwig would the war banner be wasted on the unit of knights and if so what banner would you guys suggest?

thesheriff
26-03-2011, 09:57
Against wood elves, the volley gun will do nothing. It just won't hit. Drop it for a hellblaster or mortar.

Make your warrior priest an arch lector with armour of meteoric iron, dawnstone. Better magic defense.

Make sure your battle wizard packs lore if fire...KABOOM!!!

Drop warbanner for BoeF (flaming) for treekin and treeman management.

That halberd detachment will get shot for easy VC. Drop em for more handgunners.

Thesheriff

Dark Aly
26-03-2011, 10:15
Templar Grand Master with Holy Relic, shield and Sword of Sigismund Very expensive for this points level, I'd keep him fairly plain although a magic weapon may be useful against forest sprites

lvl 2 Battle Wizard with Feedback scoll Which college of magic? this needs to be decided while you build your army. I'd recommend Shadow as the sig. spell is easy for low level casters and can be very effective- strike before wardancer's, dryads etc. if you're lucky. I prefer a dispel scroll over the feedback scroll but thats up to you

Warrior Priest with Additional warhammer, Hammer of Judgement, Heavy armour & Shield You can't use a magic weapon with the additional hand weapon so one or the other, likewise with an additional hand weapon the shield is useless. A battle standard is probably more useful but priests are good. Try the armour of meteoric iron (with a great weapon) instead of the hammer of judgement

35x Swordman with FC (warrior priest) decent- but I prefer halberdiers with priests- could probably do with more bodies
10x Halberdiers detachments
10x Handgunners with Marksmen armed with Hochland long rifle (maybe mage) HLR's are expensive at this points level and usually you need at least two

Great Cannon Good
9x Knights of the Inner Circle with FC & War Banner banner of eternal flame would be better, looking at you treemen and treekin
Mortar Good

Helblaster Volley Gun (110pts) much better with an engineer, but can guard your flank effectively without- destroys wild/glade riders

1479pts

I'll be going against a Wood Elf player, I haven't seen his army so not sure what he'll be fielding, this isn't a tailored list this is what I currently have at hand... I have 5 outriders but couldn't squeeze them in, since I upgraded my knights to the uber versions. Also I can't decide on the tooled up Grand Templar or Ludwig since I can't afford Helborg. If I went with Ludwig would the war banner be wasted on the unit of knights and if so what banner would you guys suggest?

Overall you have probably spent too many oints on characters and not enough on blocks of infantry. Your knights are also expensive and not that "uber" to be honest (But S6 is nice against treemen). I'd look at changing the magic items around as I've suggested and maybe downgrading the knights to fit in the outriders- they're good, but the bowfire from the Glade guard could hurt them a lot. For your next purchase I'd look at statetroops, either swordsmen or halberdiers.

Private_SeeD
26-03-2011, 11:05
I think I'll replace the Templar Grand master with Ludwig since he's cheaper and is a BSB. With deciding of what lore to chose its going to be a toss up between Life, Shadow and Beasts, when I get home I can read up on there spells.
I've dropped the Knights back into core and giving them BotEF and got my Outriders, I dropped the detachment and made my big block halberdiers too, since it freed up some points. Also I'm skint so can't get my hands on more hand gunners so swapped the HLR for a RHG to give that unit more shots. Also going with the AL with tools suggested above. Now since I can't fit an engineer in do i drop the hellblaster and proxy it for a mortar so I can squeeze more Halberdiers in becasue I have another 16 Halberds that I can put together before Thursday,

WoodElfGeneral
26-03-2011, 22:20
I have only played empire once with WE, but he managed to win with his 3 mortars crushing my archer line, and banishment spell. That being said, the knights are a waist because odds are you will have to put them on your flank to avoid a bottle neck situation and they won't do much. I just got easy points out of them after most of them died from terrain and then he charge into a treeman. Big mistake!:D

Private_SeeD
27-03-2011, 14:02
Here is the revised list;

Lords & Heroes
Arch Lector of Sigmar
Armour of Meteoric Icon, Dawnstone & Two-handed hammer
Battle Wizard lvl2 with Rod of Power Light
Battle Wizard lvl 2 Light
Ludwig Schwarzhelm

Core
35 Halberdiers with FC & shields (Arch Lector)
10 Handgunners with Marksman armed with Repeater handgun
9 Knightly Orders with FC, BotEF

Special
Great Cannon
Mortar
5 Outriders with Musician

now I've chosen light twice so I can be sure to get decent spells I want or do you guys think its a stupid idea and chose Shadow instead. I thought the 2nd mage would be more useful than Hellblaster volley gun

ariochhelldrake
27-03-2011, 14:41
Whats the plan with Light magic? the default can be bumped up to S6 48" range but its 15+ to cast Pit is only 14!
Default Metal spell is probably a better bet against treemen/treekin though of no use vs anything else i admit.
Personally I do like Ludwig but he is expensive for a Empire BSB, again depends what your plan is the +1 to all combats is nice but how many combats is there going to be? You only have 2 combat units.
The Outriders could be risky he is bound to have Gladeguard and with the ability to move and shoot with no penalty plus a longer range i suspect they may bit the dust without acheiving much.
What other models do you have available?

Private_SeeD
27-03-2011, 15:22
Well the plan for the Outriders, all depends on getting first turn using vanguard. put some holes in something then let them get shot if they charge flee back home and etc. I have another 16 state troops, hellblaster volley gun & Rocket battery... also could probably proxy te second mage as an engineer. And I can always chose a second lore, most likely Shadow :p

RMacDeezy
27-03-2011, 16:16
i wouldn't go for the outriders or any units smaller than 20 guys (barring the knights obviously), WE are awesome at picking off little units like that. our local WE player is actually really good at identifying the easy targets on the periphery and killing them quickly. once he's killed the easy stuff, he just dances out of the way of the big blocks until the game ends.

Private_SeeD
30-03-2011, 21:56
Thank you guys for all your help, here is my final list for tomorrow

Arch Lector of Sigmar with Armour of Meteoric Icon, Dawn stone, Two-handed hammer and Van Horstmann's Speculum
BBS with Full Plate and Mounted
Wizard Lord lvl 3 with Life
Battle Wizard lvl 2 Life with Rod of Power
Engineer

30 Halberdiers with Shields and FC
29 Halberdiers with Shields and FC (AL)

5 Inner Circle with FC and BotEF (BSB)
2 mortars

1 Helstrom Rocket battery

Private_SeeD
05-04-2011, 09:09
I just changed the list, can't believe what I had put up orignally... here is the revised list and that takes your advice on board

Arch Lector of Sigmar with Armour of Meteoric Icon, Dawn stone, Two-handed hammer and Van Horstmann's Speculum
Battle Wizard lvl 2 Life with Rod of Power
Battle Wizard lvl 3 Life
BSB with Full Plate and mounted
Engineer with HLR

30 Halberdiers with Shields and FC
29 Halberdiers with Shields and FC

5 Inner Circle with FC and BotEF
2 Mortars

1 Hellstrom Rocket Battery

DraconisTheElder
05-04-2011, 16:27
I would suggest having some sort of flamming attacks from something. They can mean and easy 325 points for you and no big treeman tearing up your lines and moving trees in your way. Maybe even take the ruby ring of ruin from the Big rulebook, its not too expensive and that way you can still keep the lores you want to keep. It can make a huge difference.

Private_SeeD
05-04-2011, 21:48
I'd given BotEF to the knights since there job will be walking wood clearing, but you do make a valid point