PDA

View Full Version : Hit & Run USR for all Eldar units?

RandomThoughts
26-03-2011, 16:36
I've really been feeling the codex creep recently, with fleeting Terminators, Ork Kopters charging units at the back of my deployment zone before I can get a single turn in, flankers limiting space where my Eldar can maneuver halfway decently, and so on.

I have been thinking about what I want the next Codex to look like for a while now, and a crazy idea struck me the other day. How would all of you feel about the Hit & Run Universal Special Rule as a default for all Eldar?

After all, they are supposed to be fast, agile, elusive shooters, yet they end up stuck in hth far too often. Universal H&R across the board would help bring back some of the superior mobility, with units flowing around the enemy left and right.

For Jetbikes it should be a given after the last Codex Ork introduced Killer Kopters (jetbikes) with H&R as default.

But I think the whole Eldar army across the board would greatly benefit from H&R. So much could be fixed with just this single rule, starting with all those short-ranged shooty units that often suffer from getting out a single turn of shooting before being charged.

Souleater
26-03-2011, 16:37
As long as Dark Eldar and Tyranids get it fine. :D

Gwyidion
26-03-2011, 16:50
I fail to see how that would help. Eldar only have three or four assault units, or 5, if you include the seer council as an assault unit. One of their assault units has the rule already, scorpions are hardly ever taken, and banshees are the much-maligned bastard child of the elite slot, which, lets face it, is full of fire dragons 90% of the time.

It would help the seer council get out of tarpits and flambe something at will, which would only encourage eldar-monolisting more.

The only other shooting unit which would benefit from being able to disengage from assault would be wraithguard. Anything else pretty much dies when charged.

Bubble Ghost
26-03-2011, 16:52
The fact that chargers are aiming to be in combat for an optimum two turns is a daft problem that the core rules should be addressing, not codexes.

MikeyB
26-03-2011, 16:57
So much could be fixed with just this single rule, starting with all those short-ranged shooty units that often suffer from getting out a single turn of shooting before being charged.

I see where you're coming from but I'm not sure you're right.

My unit of guardians gets charged by "w/e" then yeah in theory they could get out 3d6 but to deal with the "w/e" following them they'd still have to get back in charge range to shoot them. Then if they don't wipe or significantly weaken the "w/e" they're essentially letting the enemy charge them twice :(

May be with a +6" range to catapults it'd work much better :D

I can see it being a massive buff to some units and a utterly useless to others.

I dunno tbh I've confused myself now :wtf:

On the basis it's better to have it than not I guess I'm with you :D

Hendarion
26-03-2011, 18:22
I kinda see it liek Mikey B, but I get to another final decision. I think it is better not to have it, because of most the time you won't use it either (rapid-fire is not really cool!), but still you would further increase Eldar point costs.
Basically the Codex is fine, just the points are wrong - still I woop my friend's butt pretty regularly or at least get a draw.

RandomThoughts
26-03-2011, 18:32
I kinda see it liek Mikey B, but I get to another final decision. I think it is better not to have it, because of most the time you won't use it either (rapid-fire is not really cool!), but still you would further increase Eldar point costs.
Basically the Codex is fine, just the points are wrong - still I woop my friend's butt pretty regularly or at least get a draw.

I'm also winning more often than not, yet, but I feel the pressure of my friends catching up. I've come to the point where I tend to loose against myself playing other races in sandbox games most of the time... :-(

Designer891
27-03-2011, 19:42
I think allowing Eldar to get 2d6 when fleeting taking the highest... and all 3+ save units getting fleet minus wraith stuff would help me feel like we have a bit more of a speed edge. All Eldar tanks should get targeting matrix back at the least IMO it just seems like that upgrade was very Eldary. That would make us seem a bit more speedy even if it's not much.

Shamana
27-03-2011, 20:28
I don't think H&R is necessary on the units that don't already have it. I'd much rather eldar got a variation of the Fleet rule allowing them to shoot and run 1d3 in the shooting phase, a bit like Al-rahem's order and the tyrannid onslaught power. Not all eldar units assault, but almost all shoot - and both shooters and assault units can get some mileage out of such a rule. For example, shooters like guardians, hawks or avengers can fall back (eldar being elusive and disciplined both in attach and retreat), while banshees and harlequins can use it to shoot without risking the enemy getting out of reach by removing the closest models. It could work great on rangers as well, being able to reposition themselves after sniping.

Being able to shoot and run 1d6 might be a bit too much for other armies to get used to (and I think even if it were incorporated in the model point costs there'd be no end of the "broken" cries), so I'd say put it in 1d3 and have an autarch upgrade ability that allows any unit the autarch joins to shoot and move 1d6. It's not mandatory, but it would be a cool signature trick of the army.