PDA

View Full Version : South Coast Grand Tournament 2400 Dark Elf list

tmarichards
26-03-2011, 22:50
So, once again the annual South Coast Grand Tournament, hosted in Portsmouth by the Heelanhammer chaps, is rolling over the horizon. This year, it's on the 16-17th of April.

Seeing as I critique so many lists in this section, I thought for a change I'd put up one of my own creations. I've already submitted the list, but I'm sure it's not too late to change it so if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to voice them. I have, however, made some very deliberate decisions- an excess of core xbows when I have no shades, for example, is one of these. Again, if anyone is curious as to why I made any of these choices, please feel free to ask.

It's a minimal comp event- here are a few of the things that have affected my army selection:

Max 90 shots per turn
Max 12 dice per magic phase, max 7 to cast for Dark Elves
Max 400pts for any non-character unit
Characters get a Look Out, Sir! against the auto-kill spells (Gateway 11-12 result, Dwellers, 13th etc)
Hydra is 0-1 (along with the other rare choices you'd expect

The full rules pack can be found here: http://www.heelanhammer.com/SCGT/SouthCoastGTRulesPack011Final.pdf

In addition to this, the only scenario that will be played is Battleline.

Onto the list!

Shadow Level 4, Sacrificial Dagger, Pendant of Khaeleth, Lifetaker

Cauldron BSB

10 xbows, musician, shields

40 Warriors, full command, shields, Gleaming Pennant

15 warriors, standard bearer, musician, Standard of Discipline

5 dark riders, musician, xbows

5 harpies

20 Black Guard, full command, Banner of Murder

36 Witch Elves, full command, Banner of Eternal Flame

Hydra

As you can see, I've geared the list to follow one of 2 very simple game plans- either cast the Withering and let loose with 73 shots per turn, or push forwards and spam Okkams on the Witches. My experiences with 8th edition have found that simple tactics work better than elaborate strategies, and that risk management is key. Attempting to play in the style of 7th edition, I find, just doesn't work as well anymore. QQ.

vinny t
27-03-2011, 16:04
Have you considered combining the crossbow units into a unit of 20? I hear a lot of people swearing by them, especially with shields.

Also it may be a good idea to add in a cold one chariot to support the hydra, as only one is hard pressed to wreck that much havoc.

Other than that, I like the list.

tmarichards
28-03-2011, 06:02
I've given the big units of 20 a go in the past, even going so far as to throw in a level 2 with the Guiding Eye. However, I just find that the extra survivability and combat potential isn't better than the extra flexibility.

Unfortunately, every point in my list has been taken up- I do like chariots, and I do still think they're a great ay to spend any spare 100pts, but the only way I could get 100pts would be to drop something that I want- for example, the dark riders, or reduce the size of the Witches.

I also ran 2 of them at Tempest: Resurrection a month ago, and just found myself wishing for an extra combat block instead.

Fubar
28-03-2011, 06:11
Just to clarify, you don't get a look out sir from the auto kill spells, your characters just takes 1 wound if they would benefit from a look out sir normally.

tmarichards
28-03-2011, 06:43
Ooops, my bad. Ah well, doesn't change owt list-wise.

Obvs still got to watch out for that Cauldron though...

Don Zeko
29-03-2011, 00:50
I'd really like to see a supporting level 2 with a dispel scroll. A bit of magic defense will be invaluable when you run into skaven casting Plague or the 13th spell, Slann Mage-Priests, and similar nasties. Not sure where to get the points though....Maybe axe one crossbow unit? I also like to put Crimson Death on my Black Guard unit champion, but I'm definitely not seeing the points for that....I guess you should take it as a complement that there's no good place to find points in this list.

tmarichards
29-03-2011, 06:23

What I really wanted was to put in a level 1 with Lore of Fire and the Ruby Ring of Ruin, that way I'd have 2 one-dice magic missile attempts. Another build I've been experimenting with is the level 4, level 1 as above and then a level 2 with Dark magic with the +1 to channel arcane item- potentially 4 one-dice magic missiles, a scroll, 3 channelling attempts with one a 5+, and the level 2 can try to one dice dispel any low dice castings without burning the level 4 or the scroll.

I also really like to take Crimson Death, but again, I'm really short on points... Ethereal units are one of the things that scare me most with htis list, aside from Lifetaker and Pit there's nothing that can directly damage them. Still, against most VC armies I'd be pretty confident with this list provided I stay 16.000001" away until I can force him to commit.

Saviour
29-03-2011, 23:31
Get the Black Dragon Egg on the Level 4, will save her in combat most turns and you get a S4 breath weapon in combat... This changed the course of Combat res for me numerous times. I highly recommend it.

Don Zeko
30-03-2011, 05:48
Hmmm. That three-mage build sounds like overspending to me. My thought process on Magic is that you are wasting points if you over or under-invest in magic, since there's a finite power dice pool to cast from. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you leave power dice on the table, but you're wasting points if your 150-200 point caster is starved for dice. This one of the reasons that I think an Engine of the Gods is a huge waste in an 8th edition Lizardmen list.

Anyway, I don't have a lot to add to this army. I prefer a non-horde playstyle myself, but there's certainly nothing wrong with this that isn't extremely debatable. I myself am going to playing in an indie GT in about two weeks, so I'll put my list up in a new thread, turnabout being fair play and all.

tmarichards
30-03-2011, 07:28
Yeah I never used to be a fan of hordes, given that frankly I don't really like 8th edition. However, after several tournaments of getting smashed about, I've decided to go with a build that really doesn't require skill, tactics or dice in order to do well. Risk management for the win... in any case, the list I'm planning on taking to Tempest: Ragnarok in a month or so will certainly be interesting (I'll put that up in a couple of weeks) because it's a major hard comp tournament (basically all the item toys are banned, and for example, if I take a Cauldron I can't have a hydra).

I also ended up having the same final thoughts on the 3 mage method, but for different reasons- I found that they wouldn't do more than the same number of points of shades... which I have since found to not really do much more than their points of combat troops (taking into account their relative surviviability).

Black Dragon Egg is a great item, but there's 2 main reasons why I don't have it- first, I have no points left over and I feel the items I have will serve me better in more games because secondly, the level 4 sits behind the 3 combat blocks, and so to get to her my opponent has to go through 20 Black guard, 36 witches and 40 warriors- if these are dead, chances are I've lost anyway and the Black Dragon Egg won't change too much. Of course, I do still have to look out for flyers.

b4z
17-04-2011, 18:51
So how did it go?

tmarichards
18-04-2011, 20:01
Overall, very disappointing.

Went 2 from 6, which I was really angry about. One of the games I played very very badly, and one of them was very close, but the other 2 I really think I should've won except for some really rough dice rolls.

I'm working on some battle reports that I'll stick up once they're done, hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some free recording software and a microphone and get one up on Youtube.

GodlessM
18-04-2011, 23:17
That's a shame to hear as I liked the list; very flexible and a lot of potential. Will be interesting to hear your reports and see if it was the lack of scenarios that rolled you over.

tmarichards
18-04-2011, 23:37
To be honest, I think I just played badly in a couple of the games, but that's not always easy or pleasant to recognize/admit. First video is converting now though, so should be up shortly. I'll create a thread in the Batreps section.