PDA

View Full Version : my gripe with 40k

kamedake88
28-03-2011, 20:42
I have been surfing the net quite vigorously these last few weeks looking for reference material for my Raven Project. What I've come across really depresses me. I see amazing armies done to an such an exacting detail of conversion that makes the standard fare that we are stuck with, IE the plastic scout, look like the rogue trader era marines when 4th came out. What is GW's problem? seriously! THey hire great sculpters to do models with amazing detail and with kinda crap poses, etc. why is it necessary that every marine be taking a dump while on the battle field. 40k is fast becoming the Walmart of the gaming world.

Don't get me wrong I love our hobby and love what GW has put out but it seems like the magic of what the hobby is, is being muddled by Gw's crack team of accountants.

huh, tired rant over. feel free to air your laundry on this topic or not.

Cheers!

RejectedNeophyte
28-03-2011, 20:49
I kind of enjoy the lesser troops having a few basic poses. That way I can make my leaders very dynamic, without having to really try to out do the rank and file. Also, I tend to only convert my vehicles and elites. Once again, for the sake of them standing out from the rest of the bunch.

'IllBillyOrk
28-03-2011, 21:03
Im kinda with RejectedNeophyte, I run Orks so to have every boy individual and what not, well i try my best to paint and build my army and with a 2 year old and a pup dog its hard to get the time into it and sometimes it is just easier to glue em up and stick em down, well the rank and file. I do beleive though that some of the elites and "specialty" units from other armies tend to look a lil cheaper, i am happy with Orks but then again i have only been buying models for 3 years now.

Creeping Dementia
28-03-2011, 21:29
Don't play Marines... problem solved.

Seriously though, a majority of the great models out there are non-imperial. Get away from the Marines and the joy of the models comes back (there are some great marine models, but they aren't quite as dynamic).

herostoaces
28-03-2011, 21:42
I have been surfing the net quite vigorously these last few weeks looking for reference material for my Raven Project. What I've come across really depresses me. I see amazing armies done to an such an exacting detail of conversion that makes the standard fare that we are stuck with, IE the plastic scout, look like the rogue trader era marines when 4th came out. What is GW's problem? seriously! THey hire great sculpters to do models with amazing detail and with kinda crap poses, etc. why is it necessary that every marine be taking a dump while on the battle field. 40k is fast becoming the Walmart of the gaming world.

Don't get me wrong I love our hobby and love what GW has put out but it seems like the magic of what the hobby is, is being muddled by Gw's crack team of accountants.

huh, tired rant over. feel free to air your laundry on this topic or not.

Cheers!

So your board with the scouts or all the marine line?:eyebrows: GW encurages you to convert models, look at other compaines for bits to change up your boring scouts. Pigiron heads work well at doing this for scouts. Here is a real question do you really use equipment differently when trying achieve maximum kills. Answer is not many. Armies are tought to use weapons in the most efficient manier, not 101 ways you could use it. That's a major reason for not alot of poses. Marines are also made to look the same. It is part of the fear factor, one falls and the next to come and avenge his fallen brother looks like him and the foe looks at the marine thinking this can't be I killed this warrior. Now unnerved the foe is cut down by the Marines. All professional amies have their basic trooper look the same, and even special ops will do it. Fear is an army that doesn't die. Making sergeants stand out too much begs your enemy to cut the head off the snake. When you(I'm guessing) only have a diet of one game it doesn't taste as good any more, thats when you star blaming gw for it. Try the warmachine game it's fun and sci-fi. That may alleviate your current distaste for gw.