PDA

View Full Version : Daemons 1000 pt starter

Alphadork
28-03-2011, 20:48
Hey All,

Figured it's finally time to start painting some of the many, many boxes of chaos figs I have on the shelves. I've always liked the look of the daemon models and would like some advice on a starting army list (I mostly play Dwarves, Orcs & Lizardmen). I was thinking or Tzeentch with either Khorne or Slaanesh . . .

Heroes:
140 - Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery
Core:
258 - 20 Pink Horros with Standard & Musician
Rare:
105 - 3 Flamers of Tzeentch

503 with either

Slaanesh
Heroes:
90 - Herald of Slaanesh
Core:
283 - 20 Daemonettes with Standard & Musician with either Banner of Ecstasy or Warbanner
Special:
120 - 5 Seekers
Total: 996

or Khorne
Heroes:
100 - Herald or Khorne
Core:
222 - 17 Bloodletters with Standard & Musician
Special:
175 - 5 Fleshhounds
Total - 1000

Also, any advice on which gifts work best with each Herald, banners with units etc. (I searched for a tactica thread and came up empty). The plan to expand to 2000 is to add whichever untis I leave out to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

The Alphadork

HalfBlood
03-04-2011, 17:02
I think the second option would be better off. I am more of a khorne player with a touch of tzeencth i feel that they work best together. I would add in maybe icon of endless war on the bloodletters letting them charge 3 d6 first charge

dragonet111
03-04-2011, 19:00
If you fight a lot of Elves go for Slaanesh otherwise I think HalfBlood is right and Khorne is a better choice.

I like to give Obsidian Armour to my Herald of Khorne and throw him in challenge (Mine is on Juggernaut). Also having at least one Spell Breaker with a Herald of Tzeentch is quite useful especially with the uber deadly spell of 8ed.

I like to give the Banner of change to my horde of Horrors, it's not super powerful but I think it helps.
1 when you cast it the first time with your last power dice and your opponent can't stop it because he had used all his dispel dice is super fun (I already inflicted quite a lot of damage with this banner, I love it)
2 It's a bit of a gamble (not a big one) but cast it before every thing else with a single dice, your opponent will have to use 1 or 2 dice to dispel it which is good for the rest of the magic phase and if he choose not to dispel it you inflict 3D6 hits which is good.

Alphadork
04-04-2011, 16:02
Many thanks for the input. I played my first game with my fledgling daemonic legion yesterday (against Skaven) using the following list:

Heroes:
165 Herald of Tzeentch with Master of Sorcery and Iridescent Corona using Lore of Life

Core:
246 - 19 Pink Horrors or Tzeentch with Standard and Musician
270 - 20 Bloodletters with Full Command
210 15 Daemonettes with Full Command

Rare:
105 3 Flamers of Tzeentch

996 Total

The hordes slew many ratmen in Tzeentch's name with the highlight being when ~20 clanrats from a unit of 40 were sucked into the bowels of the earth using "The Dwellers Below" :D

Though I did feel a little dirty every time I cast "Flesh to Stone" on the Bloodletters (using magic on Khorne units just felt wrong some how)

I plan on playing with a few different lists around 1000-1500.

One rules related questions - IIRC back in 6th (my most played edition) wizards couldn't cast spells while in BtB contact with the enemy. For the life of me I can't find that rule in the 8th edition rulebook - can they?

And I am looking for any suggestions for converting Plaguebearers (don't like the metal models) - my current plan is to mix bits from plastic ghouls, dryads and zombies . . .

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.
The Alphadork

dragonet111
04-04-2011, 16:16
BRB page 31. There is a description of the different kind of spells. It gives you the limitations for every kind of spells.

Unless I miss something apart from magic missile you can cast spells in CC

Alphadork
04-04-2011, 18:55
BRB page 31. There is a description of the different kind of spells. It gives you the limitations for every kind of spells.

Unless I miss something apart from magic missile you can cast spells in CC

That was the only rule we could find and came to the conclusion that only "augment" and "hex" spells can be cast while in BtB contact with an enemy model.

This makes Lore of Life even more attractive when using Master of Sorcery. A unit of Pink Horrors lead by a Herald that can boost their Toughness and replenish lost models combines with the 4+ ward save for a durable little bunker for your general. (This is assuming that "Flesh to Stone" affects the Herald if he casts it on his own unit).