PDA

View Full Version : eye of the gods

Khorneflakes
29-03-2011, 08:41
my chaos lord in a unit of marauders kills a hero and gains +1str. next turn a warshrine casts giver of glory on the unit and gives them +1str, do i reroll the result or do the marauders gain +1str and the lord does too or does he reroll the result for him alone or the whole unit?

T10
29-03-2011, 13:17
The Eye of the Gods rule bestows upgrades to models or units, but the part where you are required to re-roll assumes the upgrade is bestowed on units. The situation you describe is not handled by the rules, so you must use your best judgment.

I suggest keeping the roll since one or more models in the unit (i.e.: all the Marauders) will benefit from the upgrade. I also suggest that the upgrade does not stack with itself.

-T10

jaxom
29-03-2011, 19:08
In the old 7th FAQ they addressed this specifically and the roll sticks to add the STR to the Marauders. I think they dropped it from the 8th FAQ but I would still play it that way.

Khorneflakes
29-03-2011, 23:46
so that means the lord wont get an additional attack then? if he had the favour of the gods item would that effect any outcome?

Kalandros
30-03-2011, 00:37
Favour of the Gods item affects his own roll only, not his unit's.

AMWOOD co
30-03-2011, 03:27
Favour of the Gods item affects his own roll only, not his unit's.

Why? Doesn't he benefit from the result of the Warshrine as well? If so (and I believe he does) then Favour of the Gods should allow him to adjust the roll made on any unit he is in (same as giving it to a Chosen Champion).

Lepaca
30-03-2011, 13:20
Another question regarding the eye of the gods...

Consider the following hypothetical situation.

A block of Chaos Warriors with flaming attacks accompanied by a Chaos Sorcerer are fighting a Hydra.
The Warriors and the Sorcerer have the same Initiative, so they strike at the same time during the combat.

Question 1: If this unit kills the Hydra and the Sorcerer scores a least 1 wound is there a way for the Chaos
player to say that the Sorcerer caused the final wound and therefore now gets to roll on the Eye of the Gods table?
I have seen someone do this by rolling for the sorcerer after the warriors (because he had only one dice color).
The warriors caused 4 wounds, the sorcerer 1. The player then claimed that, since he rolled for the sorcerer after
the warriors it was his wound that killed the Hydra. I have to admit that there is a certain fairness to this as t
he sorcerer would not have been able to gain the roll if the warriors had killed it on their own, still I do not know if this is legal.

Question 2: If the sorcerer was not part of the warrior unit (and therefore would not profit from their flamming banner)
would his attacks still ignore the Hydra's regeneration if the warriors caused a wound?

Leth Shyish'phak
30-03-2011, 14:34
Question 1: Not really, the Warriors and the Sorcerer attack at the same time, the order that you roll dice in doesn't matter.

Question 2: No, since they have the same initiative, the Hydra still has regeneration when the Sorcerer attacks.

jaxom
30-03-2011, 19:12
so that means the lord wont get an additional attack then? if he had the favour of the gods item would that effect any outcome?

So, remember that this is in reference to the 7th FAQ and I don't think that it has been addressed since...

In essence what they said is that a character is part of a unit but a unit comprised of many parts (e.g. character in block of warriors) does not share any effect other than Fear/Terror (which have special exceptions in their own rules). If a character is carrying the Favor of the Gods he modifies any roll which affects him including a blessing on the entire unit. Remember that he is not deployed at the same time as a unit of Chosen which means that the first roll for the Chosen does not benefit from the Favor on a character who joins them later in deployment.

The upshot of that is that if you roll +1T for a character and later get it for a unit he is in he can modify the roll using the Favor but cannot reroll for already having +1T himself. Similarly, he could adjust the roll down to *get* +1T for the unit in spite of his prior roll and then leave the unit while they retain the +1T result.

Quinn
30-03-2011, 19:24
So, remember that this is in reference to the 7th FAQ and I don't think that it has been addressed since...

In essence what they said is that a character is part of a unit but a unit comprised of many parts (e.g. character in block of warriors) does not share any effect other than Fear/Terror (which have special exceptions in their own rules). If a character is carrying the Favor of the Gods he modifies any roll which affects him including a blessing on the entire unit. Remember that he is not deployed at the same time as a unit of Chosen which means that the first roll for the Chosen does not benefit from the Favor on a character who joins them later in deployment.

The upshot of that is that if you roll +1T for a character and later get it for a unit he is in he can modify the roll using the Favor but cannot reroll for already having +1T himself. Similarly, he could adjust the roll down to *get* +1T for the unit in spite of his prior roll and then leave the unit while they retain the +1T result.

No where does it say that Chosen use the 'Chosen of the Dark Gods' before deployment. It says 'beginning of the battle' which is open to interpretation. However the rule specifically states that characters joining the unit will not benefit from the roll. Usually a WoC player will give the Favor to a Chosen Champion, so the second part of your answer would rarely come up (I've never seen it myself and I play WoC, but I guess it could happen).

Koosh
30-03-2011, 22:42
To the first question, i think the faq clears it up:

Q. If the Warshrine grants an Eye of the Gods roll to a unit and the
result is a duplicate to a previous roll the unit (or a model inside the
unit) already has, should you re-roll it? (p58)
A. Yes.

And now a follow up question.
One model inside the unit causes fear, not by a gift of the eotg, and your result of the granted roll on the eotg is "fearsome aura" can you reroll?